Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nevergirls posted:

github has an emoticon for that 👍

:iiapa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

tef posted:

i'd rather have an unmanaged but safe vm personally.

i'm dumb + inexperienced, can you explain what you mean by this because to me it sounds interesting and also a contradiction in terms

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

GrumpyDoctor posted:

i'm dumb + inexperienced, can you explain what you mean by this because to me it sounds interesting and also a contradiction in terms

i guess i'm saying that xen is better than the jvm or something

oh. safe and unsafe. well, that means 'in a sandbox'. you can have vms that run as trusted users, and vms that run with no power.

so a managed vm will have some gc baked in, and for the jvm, it also bakes in specific types and stuff

an unmanaged vm basically goes 'here is some address space, and some op codes, go hog wild', a bit more like nacl/pnacl.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
how have we got to the hosed up situation where we also need a million different ways to web server? And you thought programming syntax variation was stupid, lets now learn the setup manual and quirks of 4 different web server software because we need a different type for each server layer in our system! I might as well be installing a different flavor of linux every week at this point

SPEED GAINS gently caress APACHE NOT GOOD ENOUGH

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
the sperg nature of programming, programmers, and computer 'culture' demands we produce a new alternative to fundamental solutions every 2 weeks

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
99% of people worrying about their web server's speed don't need to + are dumb

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

hello, i code in c++ for b ideo games

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

an unmanaged vm basically goes 'here is some address space, and some op codes, go hog wild', a bit more like nacl/pnacl.

So chroot? Maybe chroot + CLONE_IO | CLONE_NEWIPC | CLONE_NEWNET | CLONE_NEWNS | CLONE_NEWPID?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

MeruFM posted:

how have we got to the hosed up situation where we also need a million different ways to web server? And you thought programming syntax variation was stupid, lets now learn the setup manual and quirks of 4 different web server software because we need a different type for each server layer in our system! I might as well be installing a different flavor of linux every week at this point

Just do everything as CGI.

(these new fangled web-servers seem to not be keen on actually supporting CGI these days)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's just one facet of the proliferation of platform technologies under the "open sores" banner, which companies then adopt in the delusion that this will be the technology that does the thinking for you

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

congrats to ruby for reaching two point oh

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MeruFM posted:

If you're satisfied with Apache why don't you just use it instead of looking at all the alternatives all the time?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am not a web guy and needed a web proxy to intercept some http and rewrite headers and serve alternatives for some gets and nginx made it real easy to do that where the apache documentation filled me with despair

pretty ok with nginx idk

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

ruby 2.0 is officially out!!

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

gucci void main posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3481275&perpage=40&pagenumber=411#post412842408

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Bream posted:

Can you recommend a cross-platform alternative for C++? Code::Blocks?

e: This one is tough if you consider developing for Android something that normal human people would do. Even if you were to omit eclipse, there's still the build system based on ant, the fact that the GUI for managing virtual devices and SDKs is available only through Eclipse, so on.

Code::Blocks, Eclipse CDT, QT Creator

they all suck in their own awful ways, and none of them handles C++11 well, so the real answer is

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

gucci void main posted:

haha https://www.ruby-lang.org is down

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

~~omacrash~~

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

gucci void main posted:

~~omacrashé~~

cant even write a drat joke right

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

well, no. parrot existed due to concerns that the jvm is a lovely fit for dynamic languages in general and the type system of perl 6 in particular (still true - the jvm's support for dynamic languages is a joke; additionally, perl 6's support for continuations would be somethine like impossible to do sanely on the jvm ),

is this about the jvm not letting a program read and write a thread's stack so that it can be preserved with the continuation and then later recreated?

because not having had to support these sorts of things is what's probably allowed the jvm to evolve so far that it's become an attractive target as a general-purpose vm

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

cant even write a drat joke right

seriously dude you need to see if there's such a thing as jokeschool.com or jokecademy because all you do is bad jokes and hacker news c+p

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Otto Skorzeny posted:

well, no. parrot existed due to concerns that the jvm is a lovely fit for dynamic languages in general and the type system of perl 6 in particular (still true - the jvm's support for dynamic languages is a joke)

reminder: parrot started in 2000.
  • IBM WebSphere was basically a servlet container, j2ee unfinished
  • Oracle wouldn't have ANY j2ee products for another two years
  • The only players in Java were Sun plus BEA and other teeny firms no one had heard of yet.

back then, the jvm sucking was a problem worth solving with a new VM. in 2013, it turns out there was no point in working on another multi-language VM runtime, because business weenies won't adopt it, and the jvm is already a ridiculously fast jvm with a rich ecosystem.

in 2000, they still had a legit chance of gaining traction with other languages. (imagine a world where pypy and jruby were written for parrot. that world didn't seem impossible in 2001!)

the major reason parrot is dead today is that rakudo wants to run on the jvm and clr, and i cannot blame them

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 24, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
parrot was also started by weenies who thought that different bytecode was important and worth solving and thus they could merge perl and python

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
To reanimate the program, its parse tree must be reconstructed. This phase exists only if code generation occurred and you chose to generate bytecode. Perl must first reconstitute its parse trees from that bytecode sequence before the program can run. Perl does not run directly from the bytecodes; that would be slow.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

MononcQc posted:

If you're satisfied with Apache why don't you just use it instead of looking at all the alternatives all the time?

because i'm usually not the one who gets to make the call on what web server to use. It's either decided by group or implemented before I get to the team.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lets also not forget that one of the many features perl, python and ruby all share is hilariously bad interpreters

the pragmatism that made perl an eminently practical language also made the interpreter awful, and anyone actually believing that these were the people to trust to write a new vm to end all other vms must have been a bit confused

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

tef posted:

i'd rather have an unmanaged but safe vm personally. turns out lots of people would too. managed vms basically dictate far too much about the host languages.

ugh, why

I'd kill for automatic memory management, pointer safety etc

and from what I've read Java pretty much keeps pace with C++ without much effort on part of developers

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
rust

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rust is genuinely interesting stuff

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lets also not forget that one of the many features perl, python and ruby all share is hilariously bad interpreters

the pragmatism that made perl an eminently practical language also made the interpreter awful, and anyone actually believing that these were the people to trust to write a new vm to end all other vms must have been a bit confused

the cabal of p5p people who were involved with early parrot knew plenty well how bad the perl interpreter was; their initial design was in many ways a much cleaner vm to run perl 5.6 on

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Internaut! posted:

ugh, why

I'd kill for automatic memory management, pointer safety etc

and from what I've read Java pretty much keeps pace with C++ without much effort on part of developers

it really depends on what you're doing. typically it's within a small constant factor of c++, about on par with compiled lisp, when you measure the average case. the generational gc that typical jvms use is still kind of jittery but for a lot of purposes that isn't important

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
also it's not hard to beat c++

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

when azul's patents expire GC jitter will become less of an issue

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Otto Skorzeny posted:

it really depends on what you're doing. typically it's within a small constant factor of c++, about on par with compiled lisp, when you measure the average case.

major difference between java and compiled lisp: java hits reasonable performance all the time, by simple blundering and the avoidance of dumbass O(n^2) stuff. efficient Common Lisp requires delicately hand-tuned code filled to bursting with type hints and un-idiomatic datastructures that six men in the world can write.

CL is a rad language, and it is cool that the lisp community got its head out of its own rear end long enough to publish a standard that acknowledged non-lispM environments existed, but the performance frankly sucks

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

polpotpi posted:

congrats to ruby for reaching two point oh

Only took them 18 years to get there!

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

MononcQc posted:

apache got old and boring, nginx is young and vital he couldn't help himself

also your book rocks, thanks for writing it and thanks to nostarch for being champs and sending down under

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

rust is genuinely interesting stuff

rust's safety guarantees make a lot of super basic stuff really hard to write because the pointer lifetime checker can't prove you're not blowing your own leg off

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
I wish the JVM could do proper TCO.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vanadium posted:

rust's safety guarantees make a lot of super basic stuff really hard to write because the pointer lifetime checker can't prove you're not blowing your own leg off

sounds like a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

sounds like a good idea

it's a hard sell to people who are used to manual memory management and pointer arithmetic and wtf, and to people who are used to just having the GC keep their leg together or w/e, and also to people who get frustrated quickly when the compiler won't do what they mean.