Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
To clarify my consistently dubious statements about low-temp thermoform plastics, I think wonderflex/worbla generally does look pretty amazing but I don't love it for my own builds in that it's:
-heat-sensitive to a degree (hoho) that makes me nervous
-not conducive to mass-production or any other real time-saving armor replication
-really expensive
-still textured, gently caress 10 layers of gesso
-not suitable for the larger projects that we do
I do find it very relaxing and verrrry easy to work with but it's just not quite as resilient as styrene or ABS.
My goal for myself is to eventually have a set of rigid blanks of my whole body that can be built over with removable detailing for styrene vac-forming, which is cleaner, cheaper (disregarding the cost of a vacformer :ironicat: ), and more easily replicated than worbla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011
Our 1920s murder mystery party was yesterday, so here are pics of all the finished stuff!

The whole ensemble (oh, how I wish this photo were in focus):

The hair clip was hot glued together from feathers, scrap dress fabric, wire and beads, and a felt rose from http://www.howjoyful.com/2011/06/felt-rose-tutorial-and-pattern/

I attempted a finger wave from that YouTube tutorial where the girl stares creepily at the camera the whole time, but I didn't get very far before I gave up, pinned what I could in place, and did my best to pin curl everything up to look like a bob. It took about two hours and several bad words.

Makeup was dark eyeliner and shadow and an attempt at beesting lips, although the color wasn't as dark as I thought it was going to be.

Fun fact: I won Best Dressed at the party. \(^ - ^)/

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Mecha Neko posted:

Fun fact: I won Best Dressed at the party. \(^ - ^)/

You deserve it, that turned out awesome!!

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
Mecha Neko, you look gorgeous and the dress turned out so lovely.

I have a hard time with Sintra if only because the adhesives that work with it are much more limited; I solve the texture problem with filler primer.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Wow that looks really nice! Congratulations!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hey, I know the PYF Cosplay thread isn't very popular here (and I agree with the criticism) but I wanted to mention that someone just made a really cool post over there about them and their coworkers doing a big Disney cosplay thing for some kids - a lot of it is commercial costumes modified and so on rather than making everything from scratch, but the group results are impressive and it's a great example of the sort of cool thing people can do with this hobby. So maybe check it out!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
I plan to use worbla for another costume but for this one with all of the armor piece being made or finished I am trying to find something that will mimic what I already have going on so far, I feel like worbla wouldn't really cut it for what's already in place not to mention it wouldn't be here in time.

In other news I got a few pieces done up in foam the way I wanted and then I just lost my mojo or whatever and couldn't get the last few bits to work at all. Going to step back from it and do some more resin casting today, had a mishap with one of the big ones I did before so I am trying a new plan of hollow casting them. We will see how it comes out. After that I will give the foam another go. It's my least favorite part of crafting, when things are going really well then someone/thing interrupts you in the middle and you can't get it going the same way when you get back to it. If I still can't get it working today I will start latex coating the foam that is done to prep it for the paint job to come. The set back kinda sucks but isn't world ending at this point there is still enough other things to do that I can just move to something else and come back later. Bow fixing is happening this week. Hopefully this time nobody trys to use it as a body pillow.

edit for pic on where I am, honestly this pic is a bit old all the pieces are covered suede is detailed and most of them have some if not all of there outer trim.

LadyRavenWaves fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 24, 2013

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Decided on Leon's re2 outfit for my second costume. I've got a good idea on what to use for most of it but I'm stuck on his vest/jacket thing. Anyone have suggestions for that? I'm thinking of hitting up the military surplus store or one of the police supply places next week for parts.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Alright so I can't remember if I mentioned this but my original casts were so heavy that the resin tore the LED away from the wiring.. hooray! So I made some hollow casts so if they tear away the LED is still alright. I threw in some tissue paper to defuse the light and though the picture doesn't do it justice I wanted to share because I was so happy.

The rest of this week and next I will be fighting with foam edging, waiting for apoxie sculpt to come in, painting, and rebuilding the bow guard that was broken by an inconsiderate passenger... nope not bitter at all. All in all though not bad and I think if the apoxie scult gets here today like its supposed to and the foam starts to behave things will be awesome. OH last week a friend decided she wanted to go and make a partner costume so I have been helping her while waiting on paint/resin to dry or taking a break for my spine/brain. Her progress is coming along really well the modding of the power ranger mask amuses me the most and I wear it frequently.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I'm so sorry to spam this thread with pictures of myself, but I just had to post this one O___O I promise no more Tira pictures after this!!

Anyone ever heard of Jomar Stores in the Philly area? I'm going there on Saturday to see if I can find any fabrics for my summer cosplays, but I'm wondering what the selection is like...

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
There's a quick shot of you at 2:42 in the video. (I love these.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Z9WybHL3I

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I promise no more Tira pictures after this!!

Man I just love the pics of this, the costume is so nice. It photographs really well. So spam away!!

I have been making minor progress on Sylvanas the last few days, less work on weekdays. Turns out the amazon order didn't process so I resubmitted it the other day and the apoxie sculpt should be here today or tomorrow. My Mehron cakes came in the mail yesterday. Not quite the color I was expecting to get. I want to do a test of it at some point, I am hoping with wet application it looks more blue, even gray would work at this point. The new bow guard is almost shaped up, just need to finish the edges then is prime and paint. Hoping to start painting this weekend.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

I needs it for reasons.
Thizz, are you also in Philly or just visiting?

Jomar's is amazing, but their selection varies widely depending on which store you hit up. The Whittaker Ave one is my favourite since they're better organized, but expect all of them to be somewhat haphazard. Good fabric is mixed in with crap, but all of it's retarded cheap. Jomar's is also good for buying damaged clothes to repair and costuming shoes since they buy returns and poo poo that didn't sell from a lot of retailers.

I took a friend to one. She's lived in both NYC and LA and Jomar's still blew her mind. She ended up buying a ridiculous amount of fabric and just shipping it.

I can't wait to get home tonight and be able to sew. All these work trips have been loving with my sewing schedule.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Thizz, are you also in Philly or just visiting?

Jomar's is amazing, but their selection varies widely depending on which store you hit up. The Whittaker Ave one is my favourite since they're better organized, but expect all of them to be somewhat haphazard. Good fabric is mixed in with crap, but all of it's retarded cheap. Jomar's is also good for buying damaged clothes to repair and costuming shoes since they buy returns and poo poo that didn't sell from a lot of retailers.

I took a friend to one. She's lived in both NYC and LA and Jomar's still blew her mind. She ended up buying a ridiculous amount of fabric and just shipping it.

I can't wait to get home tonight and be able to sew. All these work trips have been loving with my sewing schedule.

I'm from the DC area, so it's just a visit. I can't wait to go! I'm hoping to get all my fabric for all my planned costumes taken care of, but that probably won't happen since they are all spandexy.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

Orunitier posted:

There's a quick shot of you at 2:42 in the video. (I love these.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Z9WybHL3I

I feel like being in one of BeatDownBoogie's con videos is a lot like winning a prize. (Congrats!)

Their 20-minute 2011 Dragon*Con video is a lot of my inspiration to really get into costuming.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
I ended up going to my friend's house last weekend for some marathon sewing. She let me use her serger and it was glorious. :swoon: She also discovered an extra wig that I can use for Erina Pendleton with very little reworking. I learned a ton about sewing, including a really easy technique for gathering and ruffles.

Also, for reference, the costume I'm working on right now:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

I ended up going to my friend's house last weekend for some marathon sewing. She let me use her serger and it was glorious. :swoon: She also discovered an extra wig that I can use for Erina Pendleton with very little reworking. I learned a ton about sewing, including a really easy technique for gathering and ruffles.

Also, for reference, the costume I'm working on right now:

Jojo! Neat! I thought about cosplaying stuff today since I gotta go to one in june and I debated Jotaro. Gonna end up going as Naoto from Persona 4 though I think.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Some in progress shots of my Leon outfit.

Reference shot

Shot of the holster, gun in a former orange and white toy gun that I spray painted black. Left the tip orange so as not to get shot.

Had to dye this belt black, it was a pale green.

Another shot of the holster with the belt on.

Full body shot, still need the gloves and elbow/knee pads. Working tomorrow and this weekend on crafting the replica vest. Not sure what I am going to use for the letter on the vest though. I can't seem to find large enough press on letters.

I should have some splicer shots after this weekend too.

fallin1 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 1, 2013

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I love how you look like you're shrugging but you're not shrugging. It's mesmerizing.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
My camera was pointing upwards at me from one for the counter tops, probably why it looks like that.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
What are you going to do about the hair?

If you can't get letters large enough for RPD do you know hot to sew?

I honestly would love to do more dress up.. but I'm asian and have a super bobble sized head.. so I don't feel right doing any character that doesn't have a mask.

You white folks. Bleh. A pox on you.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

fallin1 posted:

My camera was pointing upwards at me from one for the counter tops, probably why it looks like that.

Let me know if there's anything else you need for a Leon costume, I have piles of useless tactical poo poo laying around

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Flanker posted:

Let me know if there's anything else you need for a Leon costume, I have piles of useless tactical poo poo laying around

I am in need of some gloves, and the pouches/clip holders on the belt. I found some weight lifting ones gloves that will work but I'd rather not drop $15 on them. If you have any of that and can get them to me before March 16th I'd be glad to compensate you.

quote:

Yes I can sew so if worse comes to worse I can attempt to find some pre-cut white letters or stencil some out and sow them on. As for the hair, honestly I'm probably just going to go with my standard buzzcut and pretend Leon never had longish hair.

fallin1 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 1, 2013

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I'm not really familiar with the Res Evil series, but maybe if he ever wore a cap you can don that?

The way my tactical vest works is with velcro. Perhaps not to damage the vest so you can re-use it for a future cosplay you can consider that as an option? With me I variously velcro things on and off the vest to serve it's function. Stargate, GI Joe, etc.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
His is actually a flak jacket but those are stupid expensive and I'm not paying that. The black part is going to be made from crafting foam and black fabric that's sew on to the shirt then add the button/rivets like in the picture and then it will velcro closed across the front like a normal vest.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

What about this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flak-vest-b...=item257b10ca3d

pukey
Apr 27, 2011

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I'm so sorry to spam this thread with pictures of myself, but I just had to post this one O___O I promise no more Tira pictures after this!!

http://i.imgur.com/JCboflDl.jpg

Thumbs up! I love the stained glass window effect and would use the weapon as a house decoration. Also what did you use as shoe covers (primarily the armor looking part)?

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

I needs it for reasons.

Jet Ready Go posted:

I honestly would love to do more dress up.. but I'm asian and have a super bobble sized head.. so I don't feel right doing any character that doesn't have a mask.

You white folks. Bleh. A pox on you.

Is it not feeling comfortable or worrying that people will give you poo poo for doing something 'not your type?' I've gotten a ton of crap for not being Asian.

I'm finally home and I'm going to see if I can finish Nanami today. Now that I don't have a deadline, I can make her swords.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

pukey posted:

Thumbs up! I love the stained glass window effect and would use the weapon as a house decoration. Also what did you use as shoe covers (primarily the armor looking part)?

Wonderflex! I used it for the gauntlets and the shoe armor.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
So the pound of Apoxie Sculpt came in, and I used all of it. I am in love, wish they had sold more on Amazon but now I am going to just buy a big thing of it because well as I said I am in love. I want to put it on all the things.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Holy poo poo, that is seriously cool.

After a lot of tinkering and procrastinating, I decided More Bondo™ was the best way to make the greebles on the rear of my civil protection helmet. Here we go again!

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Is it not feeling comfortable or worrying that people will give you poo poo for doing something 'not your type?' I've gotten a ton of crap for not being Asian.

I'm finally home and I'm going to see if I can finish Nanami today. Now that I don't have a deadline, I can make her swords.

Well I'm Chinese specifically so there are a few considerations. I have a wide nose, so unlike Koreans or Japanese who have thinner noses I felt it would stand out too much. I also have a round head. So that combination is rarely seen in superheros and.. well.. heros in general.

Imagine PSY dressed as Solid Snake or something.

So I guess it's not 100% about my race but more about the features that come with my particular race. It's sort of like when you see a black Sailor Moon or something.. you have nothing against them but you just think to yourself "You couldn't choose someone black? Storm?" or something.

My last costume was Grifter, I MAY consider getting a green trench coat if I can find one cheap for this year.

Previously I did random incarnations of Snake Eyes

A common motif is "something with a mask" and also "Can I wear my tactical vest?"

So basically any costume I make, is sort of half assed because a lot of them are things I only decide a week before any event? I know that's not good but usually I'm stuck at home wondering what I should do until that lightbulb turns on. Anyone with masks will do!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
If I were making a mask costume right now I'd be inclined to do Amon from Legend of Korra or Judge Dredd. I'm also a big fan of Godot from Phoenix Wright. Splicers from Bioshock are fun too, especially if you make batshit weapons to go with the outfit.

e. Although I personally wouldn't worry too much about your face in cosplay, I bet your face is just fine ;)

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
I finally get to share our Discworld cosplay! My husband (Killamajig) and I have been working on them for the past month, but haven't been able to take any in-progress pictures since we work at night. The chest pieces are poster board, paper mache, paper clay, wood filler. The skirts are foam leather. My mom knitted up the chainmail - though she was a little worried at first why two grown adults wanted knit chainmail. Now she's really excited to see everything come together.

This is my Angua von Überwald. There's a bright pink bra somewhere under all that breast plate. The collar is my favourite :3:

My husband's Carrot. He wears those tights and that codpiece like a champion. The sword was the bane of his existence - It's cardboard, a wooden dowel, wood filler, oil paint medium, and lots of curse words. It looks okay in the picture, but it's pretty nasty close up.

We'll be headed to Emerald City this evening. Maybe we'll see a few of you there tomorrow? We'll make sure to take pictures of everything on us - I'm experimenting with really creepy blue contacts (though I just discovered I'm not a fan of stuff in my eyes, so we'll see how that goes) and Killamajig is adding more ginger into is already ginger hair.

I think next time I'd like to experiment with something other than paper clay. Wonderflex looks really cool - and now that we know how to form breastplates, I'm sure I'd be more confident working with it. The next cosplay on my list is a Jamie Lannister and Brienne of Tarth crossplay, or Green Arrow and Black Canary. One of Killamjig's requirement for the next set of costumes is that he's able to keep at least some facial hair. Carrot is way too clean shaven for him.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Just got the pieces of my Nightmare Moon headdress put together (plus a really awesome, exciting 1.5 hours spent detangling the wig :supaburn: ) but oh my god am I excited about this whole horn situation.

That's right. Unicorn horn with Vader sweater in front of a 40k banner. :smug:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
So, uh, any of you girls have tips on dealing with strapless costumes? My suit for Poison Ivy carries a high risk of me popping out of it, but I'm not sure of the best way to comfortably keep everything in place all day.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Anoia posted:

So, uh, any of you girls have tips on dealing with strapless costumes? My suit for Poison Ivy carries a high risk of me popping out of it, but I'm not sure of the best way to comfortably keep everything in place all day.

Double sided garment tape, and lots of it. You may need to reapply mid-day if you sweat a lot while you're in the costume, but otherwise it should keep you firmly covered. You can usually buy it in the lingerie section of department stores, or order it from Amazon.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
At this point, I use 2-sided wig tape to tape myself into everything. I tape myself into my bra, I tape my bra to my top, I tape everything to everything else.

McPants, how does the headdress attach? Elysium's mask naturally doesn't attach to her face/hair in any way so I'm wondering if I'll just have to slide a clear strap under the wig or if there is actually a way to achieve that illusion another way.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
I go with the 2 sided garment tape most times but if I am having major issues or if I am super nervous I have been known to resort to wig glue or spirit gum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'm planning on a black elastic strap that goes under the wig. The whole headdress is so super light that I should be able to just do a single thick elastic band under all that hair and call it good.