Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Awesome. They probably want MAs/PhDs in IR and stuff, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Probably easier to get into that specific line of work with contractors. SAIC is one that does simulation development.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Who's up for some sequester!!! :negative:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
It's a good thing congress has off all next week, or they might have actually been able to prevent this from happening.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Does anybody know the US Code definition of "regular scheduled workday"? My boss says Federal holidays are, but I thought they were not (for overtime purposes).

Joshie
Oct 29, 2001

MAYOR OF PIGTOWN
http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/pay-administration/fact-sheets/holidays-work-schedules-and-pay

Holiday hours, hours of paid leave, use of accrued compensatory time off or credit hours, and hours of excused absence with pay are credited as hours of work towards the overtime pay standards. For example, these hours are credited when determining whether an employee has worked in excess of 8 hours in a day or 40 hours in a week under a standard or flexible work schedule. (See 5 CFR 550.112(c) and 5 CFR 551.401(b).)

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
How about when you get availability pay?

For instance, my boss says for a 12 hour shift, it's 8 holiday, 2 availability and 2 overtime because a holiday is a regular workday.

Joshie
Oct 29, 2001

MAYOR OF PIGTOWN
From http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/5/550.131 by way of http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/pay-administration/fact-sheets/availability-pay/

Except as otherwise provided in this subpart, an employee who performs holiday work is entitled to pay at his or her rate of basic pay plus premium pay at a rate equal to his or her rate of basic pay for that holiday work that is not in excess of 8 hours.

An employee is entitled to pay for overtime work on a holiday at the same rate as for overtime work on other days.

I think your boss is correct on the numbers, but it's not because a holiday is a regular workday. It's just that you can only get paid for 8 hours of premium holiday time, and that overtime on a holiday doesn't include any additional premium.

Also I don't work for OPM and just Googled this stuff, so it may or may not be correct.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
This question is probably too general to be even useful, but I'll try anyway. Would you say that the average public sector job is less stressful and maintains better work/life balance than private sector counterparts? It seems the vacations are longer, the benefits better, and the lack of a profit motive removes many of the more onerous abuses of employees you see in jobs.

Of course, this doesn't include Seal Team Six or any group who need to assassinate terrorists on a daily basis.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Radio Talmudist posted:

This question is probably too general to be even useful, but I'll try anyway. Would you say that the average public sector job is less stressful and maintains better work/life balance than private sector counterparts? It seems the vacations are longer, the benefits better, and the lack of a profit motive removes many of the more onerous abuses of employees you see in jobs.

Of course, this doesn't include Seal Team Six or any group who need to assassinate terrorists on a daily basis.

Depends. There's plenty of jobs here at State that can have plenty of moments more stressful than your normal private sector job.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
There are plenty of us who don't get an easy 40/week. My job isn't stressful per se, but I've had a grand total of 7 days off in 2013, one being new years day, 4 of those being time off that I had to request.

But yes, the benefits help quite a bit.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Radio Talmudist posted:

lack of a profit motive removes many of the more onerous abuses of employees you see in jobs.

While creating another whole class of headaches that you will never experience in the private sector.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

ixo posted:

but I've had a grand total of 7 days off in 2013, one being new years day, 4 of those being time off that I had to request.

A big issue I've had in that regard is having plenty of vacation time but not being able to do much with it. Due to hiring freezes, budgets, and general "efficiency!" trends, my organization is full of programs where all roles are one deep (and sometimes not even that). I'm the lead engineer on my program because I'm the only engineer on my program, so if I take a week off, technical stuff simply doesn't get done. I'm constantly struggling to nickel and dime down my use or lose time by the end of the year.

I have no idea how we'll keep up if the furloughs go through and I'm only working 32 hours per week.

At least having too much vacation time is a good problem to have; I'd much rather have that than too little.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

A big issue I've had in that regard is having plenty of vacation time but not being able to do much with it. Due to hiring freezes, budgets, and general "efficiency!" trends, my organization is full of programs where all roles are one deep (and sometimes not even that). I'm the lead engineer on my program because I'm the only engineer on my program, so if I take a week off, technical stuff simply doesn't get done. I'm constantly struggling to nickel and dime down my use or lose time by the end of the year.

I have no idea how we'll keep up if the furloughs go through and I'm only working 32 hours per week.

At least having too much vacation time is a good problem to have; I'd much rather have that than too little.
Yeah, a nice easy 32 hours per week :smug:

Thanks, congress! Seriously, with use-or-lose leave and expiring travel comp time, I'm probably only going to be working 24 hours a week. Lots of time but no money to enjoy it with :(

grover fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 21, 2013

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

grover posted:

Yeah, a nice easy 32 hours per week :smug:

Thanks, congress! Seriously, with use-or-lose leave and expiring travel comp time, I'm probably only going to be working 24 hours a week. Lots of time but no money to enjoy it with :(

Yeah, everyone at our agency was having to decide which day they want "off." I'm pretty dang unhappy, since it's not like I'm rolling in cash. I guess I'll be reading a lot of books this summer...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

CherryCola posted:

Yeah, everyone at our agency was having to decide which day they want "off." I'm pretty dang unhappy, since it's not like I'm rolling in cash. I guess I'll be reading a lot of books this summer...

So, will all fed employees add to the underemployed stats?

No word yet at our Dept. for hours/days off...

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

TCD posted:

I heard a rumor today that furloughs can't start until april due to legally required notices and paperwork. So, slight reprieve and slim chance congress will fix their poo poo before then.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TCD posted:

I haven't heard anything about my corner of Commerce. I'm pretty new though.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

grover posted:

I heard a rumor today that furloughs can't start until april due to legally required notices and paperwork. So, slight reprieve and slim chance congress will fix their poo poo before then.

I think it's more substantial than a rumor. We got an e-mail yesterday from our three-star center commander saying that if furloughs happen, they won't start until the week of 22 April.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

I received a similar email at HUD this week stating that we would have a 30 day notice before furloughs start, so April. I currently work a 4/10 schedule, so I'm hoping that if they cut a day out of everyone's schedule that they will at least let me work a normal 8 hour day schedule so I can get 2 more hours of pay. I just passed my one year, and I'm waiting to see what happens to my ladder promotion.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

State hasn't made any announcements yet, other than saying they would be reexamining funding and contracts.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I think it's more substantial than a rumor. We got an e-mail yesterday from our three-star center commander saying that if furloughs happen, they won't start until the week of 22 April.
Yeah, we got this today- memo straight from CNO. They have to give us a month's official notice, with furloughs starting no sooner than the end of April. Gives congress another 2 months to unfuck themselves, I guess.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
USCIS is a fee-funded org, so I'm good, but what about GSA and USDA? It doesn't help if they can't keep the buildings going or pay us.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Beerdeer posted:

USCIS is a fee-funded org, so I'm good, but what about GSA and USDA? It doesn't help if they can't keep the buildings going or pay us.

USDA sent out a message saying that they have to give 30 days notice and they're talking with the union. No info on how quickly that would happen. I'd expect whatever USDA personnel you deal with to be furloughed.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Some of us in USDA are considered essential personnel and cannot be furloughed (me), but if you're dealing with administrative/managerial types then yeah. My agency is fee funded too but my bosses can and will be furloughed anyway.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

ixo posted:

Some of us in USDA are considered essential personnel and cannot be furloughed (me), but if you're dealing with administrative/managerial types then yeah. My agency is fee funded too but my bosses can and will be furloughed anyway.

What's interesting is that Fed Times had an article stating that all FBI staff would be furloughed. I'm not sure the "essential" staff moniker will save people from furloughs.

We'll see.

fed times posted:

Customs and Border Protection is planning to furlough all 60,000 employees for up to 14 days if sequestration goes into effect, the National Treasury Employees Union said Wednesday.

This furlough situation seems different than a government shutdown...

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

TCD posted:

What's interesting is that Fed Times had an article stating that all FBI staff would be furloughed. I'm not sure the "essential" staff moniker will save people from furloughs.

We'll see.
The more dire the threat, the worse the political blowback, and the greater the chance of congress actually fixing this.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Tax question! For purposes of Turbotax, does the TSP count as an IRA? I have both traditional and Roth.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Mons Hubris posted:

Tax question! For purposes of Turbotax, does the TSP count as an IRA? I have both traditional and Roth.

I thought the regular TSP counts as an IRA and takes money out pre-tax. So if you make 60,000 and put 5,000 in your your taxable income starts at 55k. This should all be on your W2 I thought.

The Roth doesn't count, as that's post tax money (and you can withdraw it tax free in the future).

Aside from this sequestration stuff, I might be really close to contributing the max TSP this year! That will change when I PCS and my wife quits her job... :(

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

TCD posted:

I thought the regular TSP counts as an IRA and takes money out pre-tax. So if you make 60,000 and put 5,000 in your your taxable income starts at 55k. This should all be on your W2 I thought.

The Roth doesn't count, as that's post tax money (and you can withdraw it tax free in the future).

Aside from this sequestration stuff, I might be really close to contributing the max TSP this year! That will change when I PCS and my wife quits her job... :(

Ok, that's what I thought, thanks. There's a form where you're looking at deductions and it has IRA/Roth income that you can input, but I wasn't sure if TSP was treated more like that or a 401(k) type of thing. I've never really done my own taxes before, so... ugh.

I really hope they figure out and avert all this sequester poo poo soon guys :(

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Mons Hubris posted:

Ok, that's what I thought, thanks. There's a form where you're looking at deductions and it has IRA/Roth income that you can input, but I wasn't sure if TSP was treated more like that or a 401(k) type of thing. I've never really done my own taxes before, so... ugh.

I really hope they figure out and avert all this sequester poo poo soon guys :(

We have an accountant... so, take everything I said with a grain of salt.

As for the sequester nonsense, it looks like it's going to happen. Now, once you start having reduced mil expenditures and longer lines in the airport, maybe they'll get around to removing some of the impacts or actually look at raising revenue and the problem child that nobody likes to talk about (medicaid/medicare).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
So I just dropped in on the "Intelligence Community Virtual Career Fair" and it seems dumb as hell. Dozens of "recruiters" whose entire functions seems to be to answer questions with "check the job listings!"

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
In the sea of bad news, there's a nugget of good news for me.

usajobs posted:

We have completed the review of your application for this position. Your name has been certified to the selecting official for

consideration; you will be contacted by that official if an interview is needed. When a final selection has been made, you will be

notified.

That was for the Immigration Services Officer position I applied for a while ago. Here's to hoping that I get it.

kys
Dec 8, 2007

Let's run this shit down to sea level!
With all this sequester stuff going, I think I'm the only fed happy with reduced hours. I work for CBP and if you guess the port you
know my misery.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Should we petition the mods now to allow drunk posting while furloughed only in this thread?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Should we petition the mods now to allow drunk posting while furloughed only in this thread?
What's the preferred drink for furloughed people? 40s?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

grover posted:

What's the preferred drink for furloughed people? 40s?

I'm thinkin OPB ( other people's booze)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Delorence Fickle posted:

In the sea of bad news, there's a nugget of good news for me.

That was for the Immigration Services Officer position I applied for a while ago. Here's to hoping that I get it.
?

It's very good Since USCIS is kind of buffered from the sequester. Where did you apply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Beerdeer posted:

?

It's very good Since USCIS is kind of buffered from the sequester. Where did you apply?

Fairfax, VA field office.

Anything I need to know in particular if I do get this position?