Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Hello, goon ladies! I have a small dilemma. I've been taking standard oral contraceptives for 5 years now, so I've been through the best and worst of times with side effects. This week, on the other hand, has been bad. I had an unusual day a week ago (week 2, day 4 of pills) that threw me off; consequently, I forgot to take my medications. This has happened before, so I did the standard procedure to get back on track. Usually, when this happens, I experience some cramping and spotting the day after, which disappears until the start of my cycle. This time, I've had mild cramping every day since with spikes of pain after eating. As a result of the persistent pain, I've been irritable and generally no fun. It's been so abnormal, I've taken a pregnancy test just in case, but it's been a while since I've last had sex and turned out negative. The best I can do is take Ibuprofen and hope it's enough to ward off the pain. I can't take the standard, go-to pain womanly pain relievers because they give me a fever, chills, and dizziness. Edit: I have also had some light spotting every day in conjunction with the pain.

I've read the information and think it's just a fluke, but the cramping is driving me up the wall. I want to bounce this off the thread for comfort and/or general advice. :( I get panicky over these sorts of things easily. If there's any other information you guys want to know, just ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
That sucks :( Unfortunately being on birth control is kinda like the stock market... Past performance does not predict future returns. It doesn't matter if it was a-okay in the past; sometimes everything goes to hell for no/minor reasons. If you're concerned then you can call your doctor's office and talk to them, but it will probably clear up in a week or so.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Thanks for replying, and sorry for being late on the "thanks" part. Sometimes, I just need to know for sure I'm not losing it.

anirtak
Apr 5, 2008
I'm sorry if it's been addressed somewhere in the 90 previous pages....I checked the FAQ and this wasn't there, so here goes.

I've been using Nuvaring for...I can't remember precisely how long, but about 1.5-2 years. I was on TriCyclen-Lo for a few years prior, as well. When my doctor prescribed the Nuvaring to me, I was also having problems with severe anemia, so to help with that he suggested that I skip every second period using the ring (1st ring in for 4 weeks, immediately switch to 2nd ring, wear 2nd ring for 3 weeks, take out for 1 week + period). Worked amazing for the first while.

Last November, I forgot to do the cycle as planned, and so I skipped two periods in a row. I wasn't concerned re: efficacy/pregnancy, but I got a bit of spotting/breakthrough bleeding/cramping during the third month and the mother of all periods when I had the off week in December. I got back on the wagon, skipped January's properly, and the February one is due in a few days.

All that to lead up to my question: I've had weird body aches since January, and for the last week I've had excruciating pain in my right shoulder. I use my right arm extensively at work for reasonably strenuous activity, so it's reasonable that it's a repetitive stress injury...but I've been at my job since September. I took my ring out on schedule yesterday, and today the pain is nearly gone.

....could the Nuvaring be contributing to the muscle pain? Is this a side effect that anyone else has noticed? I'm really hoping that it's coincidental and I'll be seeing a doctor about it Wednesday, but I like to do as much anecdotal research as I can beforehand.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Just had my six week follow up today and it looks like the IUD has settled in nicely because everything looked great! There also just happened to be a representative from the Paragard company visiting the office at the time, so I got a chance to chat about it with her a little bit (she had one too :v: )

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

I'm guilty of shamelessly promoting Implanon. Not like cold-calling people or whatever, but if bc comes up in a conversation I'm really open about how much I've enjoyed it, potential negatives, and the like. It's probably just an age thing since I remember being so embarrassed to discuss bc when I was 18, like I was buying tampons from a cute cashier. At 29 I have no shits to give.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I've been talking up Mirena, especially since now a lot of insurances cover it. I'm still having slight cramping and spotting off and on, but it's so nice not to take that goddamned pill every day when the alarm goes off.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

fork bomb posted:

I'm guilty of shamelessly promoting Implanon. Not like cold-calling people or whatever, but if bc comes up in a conversation I'm really open about how much I've enjoyed it, potential negatives, and the like. It's probably just an age thing since I remember being so embarrassed to discuss bc when I was 18, like I was buying tampons from a cute cashier. At 29 I have no shits to give.

Me too. Honestly it's great. I'm at six weeks now and I have at no point had anything as heavy as a period. I had some consistent spotting for the first 10-14 days but nothing since and not a hint of a period in what would be my normal time this week.

Actually looking back on that it looks too good to be true and now I'm kind of freaked out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've been feeling the same way for like five years, as my million posts here demonstrate.

If they ever discontinue Implanon, I'm going to go full-fledged nuts, like hostage-taking nuts. Implanon never go away <3

v Huh? Implanon again, forever. Each implant lasts three years, so I'm already on my second, but you can keep replacing it indefinitely. It's not like Depo where they warn you not to take it for too long. God willing, I'm riding this party boat all the way to menopause.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 20, 2013

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I've been feeling the same way for like five years, as my million posts here demonstrate.

If they ever discontinue Implanon, I'm going to go full-fledged nuts, like hostage-taking nuts. Implanon never go away <3

What are you going to switch to when your 6 years are up?

ElNiffi
Jun 26, 2012
Getting my IUD today! :neckbeard:

One pregnancy test and one very late, very light period later, I'm good to go.

Of course today my boyfriend's coworker invites us to dinner. I felt bad reminding him I might not be up to it this evening.

I just hope it goes well.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

v Huh? Implanon again, forever. Each implant lasts three years, so I'm already on my second, but you can keep replacing it indefinitely. It's not like Depo where they warn you not to take it for too long. God willing, I'm riding this party boat all the way to menopause.

Well get my goat. I was told that it was only safe to use this method twice in a row, for a total of 6 straight years. I can't find anything about that on the Implanon website though. Imma call my OB/GYN and inquire further since I have my removal scheduled for March.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I've never heard anything about that, from my gyns or online. I would definitely get a second opinion at a minimum. Are you in the US?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Anne Whateley posted:

I God willing, I'm riding this party boat all the way to menopause.

I think I plan to do the same with Mirena. I used to want the ligation, but drat, Mirena is just as (and slightly more) effective, cheaper, and has killed my period. All aboard the LARC bus!

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I've never heard anything about that, from my gyns or online. I would definitely get a second opinion at a minimum. Are you in the US?

Yeah and I have Kaiser.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I would definitely call another gyn (in your network) and ask the secretary over the phone, "Does s/he have experience with Implanon? Replacing Implanon?" and go from there. I don't think your insurer matters except in determining who you can or can't see.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
All this talk of the long-term contraceptives that completely eliminate your period got me intrigued. I've been nearly continuous-cycling on the pill for a few years now, only having withdrawal bleeding every 4 months or so (basically when I find a convenient week to do it). So I certainly wouldn't mind having one fewer pill to take every day and no period at all! But, I really like the combined pill I'm on (Yasmin) as it completely cleared up my acne and it didn't make me gain weight like some hormonal contraceptives do. And it seems like all long-term hormonal contraceptives (I'm looking in particular at IUDs) are progestin-only? What's up with that? I don't really want to risk switching to a different progestin and drop the estrogen completely, particularly if it's a long-term commitment. :/ The other issue is that I'm primarily on the pill because I have a history of ovarian cysts - and it seems that the progestin-only varieties allow for some follicular development, so I'm guessing they'd be contraindicated for that reason alone.

Anyway, all this information came from wikipedia so if anyone knows differently (maybe there is a combined IUD out there??) I'd love to hear it!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
There is no combined hormonal IUD available as far as I know. Certainly not in the US. Paragard is hormone free and and Mirena and Skyla are progesterone only.

I started the pill in 2002 for ovarian cysts and period control, but my gyno did not seem too worried about giving me Mirena. She just said we'd keep an eye on things. So far, no problems, but I've only had it since June.

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.
I also have a history of ovarian cysts but I can't take combined pills because of clotting/migraine problems; I wouldn't recommend going progestin-only if the combined pill is helping you a lot. I had to stop taking combined pills after I got a blood clot and yeah, my cyst issues got lame again, along with every other hormonal issue having to do with it (like body hair and acne). Not getting periods at all isn't always something that happens on the IUD either; I'm taking minipills (jolivette if you're curious), but my friend still gets her period and she's had Mirena for 2 years now with no other complaints. Of course, your mileage may vary with both, but yes the issues you've identified can recur if you stop taking estrogen. Up to you though! I'd talk to your doctor so you can have a better idea of the pros and cons of both and make a decision based on what you want right now.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I would definitely call another gyn (in your network) and ask the secretary over the phone, "Does s/he have experience with Implanon? Replacing Implanon?" and go from there. I don't think your insurer matters except in determining who you can or can't see.

I called the 24 hr advice nurse line and had them leave a message with my doctor's office saying that I wanted a new implant inserted when I go in for the removal. I also had her ask if they carry Nexplanon.

Gentay
Dec 27, 2012
Hey Goon Ladies, long time reader but first time asking a question. I'm not sure if anyone might know an answer but asking wont hurt and I trust the information presented here. I live in Texas and am currently taking Lo Estrin 24 Fe. I've been on it for several years (2-3) and I've noticed some pricing discrepancies during those years. During the first 1.5 years I (insurance was blue cross blue shield) would pay $80.00 for a 3 month supply. Then in the second year, I only paid $50.00 for a 3 month supply. The last half of the year my family changed insurances to Etna (the pharmacy never asked so I never thought to tell them of the change). Today I picked up my 3 month supply and I paid $0.00. I asked the clerk if she knew anything and her only suggestion was maybe I hit my deductible.

Has anyone else ever had weird pricing amounts with their prescriptions or any thoughts as to why I paid nothing? I know the president made the change saying that birth control will be covered by insurance but I thought that only covered generics. Thanks for any adivce.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Gentay posted:

Hey Goon Ladies, long time reader but first time asking a question. I'm not sure if anyone might know an answer but asking wont hurt and I trust the information presented here. I live in Texas and am currently taking Lo Estrin 24 Fe. I've been on it for several years (2-3) and I've noticed some pricing discrepancies during those years. During the first 1.5 years I (insurance was blue cross blue shield) would pay $80.00 for a 3 month supply. Then in the second year, I only paid $50.00 for a 3 month supply. The last half of the year my family changed insurances to Etna (the pharmacy never asked so I never thought to tell them of the change). Today I picked up my 3 month supply and I paid $0.00. I asked the clerk if she knew anything and her only suggestion was maybe I hit my deductible.

Has anyone else ever had weird pricing amounts with their prescriptions or any thoughts as to why I paid nothing? I know the president made the change saying that birth control will be covered by insurance but I thought that only covered generics. Thanks for any adivce.

Nope covers everything. :patriot:

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
President Obama paid for my IUD. :911:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
THANKS OBAMA

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Gentay posted:

During the first 1.5 years I (insurance was blue cross blue shield) would pay $80.00 for a 3 month supply. Then in the second year, I only paid $50.00 for a 3 month supply. The last half of the year my family changed insurances to Etna (the pharmacy never asked so I never thought to tell them of the change). Today I picked up my 3 month supply and I paid $0.00. I asked the clerk if she knew anything and her only suggestion was maybe I hit my deductible.

First off, insurances are dumb with prices. I have literally billed something an hour later and had the price change by hundreds of dollars. So going from $80 to $50 one year isn't unusual at all. Regardless of your family's change to Aetna, if you or your parents did not give the pharmacy new information, then your pharmacy billed the previous coverage which apparently is still active. On occasion the pharmacy can get new info if the company has not changed, but in most cases they would have given you a call to say we need updated info. In addition to all this, just because your medical insurance is BCBS, Aetna, Humana, etc. does not mean that's what your prescription coverage is.

But anyway, your family is probably one of the many whose plans renew on January 1st and the Affordable Health Care Act was added to your plan.

Gentay
Dec 27, 2012

quote:

Everyone's amazing advice!

:aaa: This news is almost if not better than christmas morning. Thank you Obama! Double thanks to kdc67 for explaining the insurance stuff.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
Hello thread.

I apologize for asking a probable repeat question, but after Ctrl+Fing the first 20 pages, none of the answers completely addressed my question. I'm currently on Mircette, and I am ending my second pack. I have been on quite a few different birth control methods over the last few years (Mirena, a few different combined/singular pills, Nuvaring), but I keep having problems with depression, anxiety, and feeling like a bitchy asexual. The Mirena didn't give me those issues, but my hair fell out and I had a constant stabbing pain in my right ovary that still occurs occasionally. My doctors at student health told me they are tired of seeing me, and that my emotional issues aren't due to my hormonal birth control but rather an underlying depression, but when I'm off of them I feel fine! I took a several month-long break and I felt great, but I had sex twice in six months because my boyfriend's orgasms are inhibited by condoms.

I'm tired of not wanting him to touch or look at me. My doctors said if I came in again they are putting me on anti-depressants, but in the past I felt like even more of a zombie on those. Should I ask about the Mirena again? Should I go off of birth control and deal with very little sex? Give my pill more time to settle in? Ask about SSRIs? I don't know what to do. :(

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Is Paragard an option?

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Geolicious posted:

Is Paragard an option?

I talked to my gynecologist about it in the past, and all she said was "It won't fix your problems," and she insists they are psychiatric. I will bring it up again since it does seem like a viable option. I completely forgot about it!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Uh sounds like you need another gyno, tbh.

edit: You know your body best. And you need a doc that will listen to you about that. Unless you are contraindicated for it, there's no reason to not at least give it a try.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Geolicious posted:

Uh sounds like you need another gyno, tbh.

edit: You know your body best. And you need a doc that will listen to you about that. Unless you are contraindicated for it, there's no reason to not at least give it a try.

Thank you, Geolicious. I guess I took the attitude of "Well, she is the doctor..." She is the only gyno at student health, but I will look into options at the university hospital and Planned Parenthood.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
The thing to remember with docs of all stripes (and I learned this the hard way with gynos and endocrinologists) is that they work for you in a way. You don't owe any doctor anything if they aren't listening to you and taking you seriously. Certainly not if they are being dismissive. I hate that poo poo with a passion. You have every right to look for a new doc. You don't owe her a thing. You owe yourself everything.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I was on implanon for about 10 months during 2010/2011, and had a miserable experience – nonstop bleeding for the duration, incredibly depressed, and cramping. Since then, I've just been relying on condoms, but I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an IUD. I've been leaning towards paragard, but would Mirena be such a bad idea, considering my history?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I talked to my gynecologist about it in the past, and all she said was "It won't fix your problems," and she insists they are psychiatric. I will bring it up again since it does seem like a viable option. I completely forgot about it!

I've mentioned it earlier, but the doctor I went to insisted that my problems with migraines/libido probably weren't caused by the pill but were just stress-related. They went ahead and gave me the Paragard anyway despite their skepticism and it's honestly the best thing I could have done for myself. I'm trying to think but I honestly can't remember the last time I had a migraine (I was having 2-3 a month on the pill). Since it's non-hormonal, it's basically like not being on birth control at all while still being protected from pregnancy.

Also I agree with Geolicious, you know yourself better than anyone. If it's at all possible you really need to find another doctor. I've had some doctors that got so fixated on the "it's all in your head" thing that they completely missed the serious medical problems I actually had until I got a second opinion. I got my IUD at Planned Parenthood. Also your local health department might be an option - I've seen (and used) many that run family planning clinics. Some states have Medicaid programs that pay only for family planning services or as a last ditch, some regular doctors will work out payment plans with you.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Invalid Octopus posted:

I was on implanon for about 10 months during 2010/2011, and had a miserable experience – nonstop bleeding for the duration, incredibly depressed, and cramping. Since then, I've just been relying on condoms, but I'm about ready to pull the trigger on an IUD. I've been leaning towards paragard, but would Mirena be such a bad idea, considering my history?

Ooh that's tricky. Mirena is considerably less hormone than Implanon. Skyla, a relatively new hormonal IUD approved for nulliparous women, has even less hormone. It's 3 years instead of 5. I dunno... If the hormones weren't working for you, I'd probably say go for the Paragard. The idea of heavier periods puts me off personally but if it's between that and constant bleeding then it's probably a better choice.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Ooh that's tricky. Mirena is considerably less hormone than Implanon. Skyla, a relatively new hormonal IUD approved for nulliparous women, has even less hormone. It's 3 years instead of 5. I dunno... If the hormones weren't working for you, I'd probably say go for the Paragard. The idea of heavier periods puts me off personally but if it's between that and constant bleeding then it's probably a better choice.

I already have moderately heavy and long-lasting (7 days min) periods, so the idea of no periods at all is just so tempting. For what it's worth, I'm a student in Ontario, and my student union insurance covers $250 worth of IUD per (academic?) year. But, as I have a tendency towards depression and anxiety even without BC, the mental side effects are pretty off-putting. I just wish I could know what I was getting into :sigh:

e: also an american citizen, so I guess I could pick up the skyla over there!

Invalid Octopus fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 24, 2013

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Invalid Octopus posted:

I already have moderately heavy and long-lasting (7 days min) periods, so the idea of no periods at all is just so tempting. For what it's worth, I'm a student in Ontario, and my student union insurance covers $250 worth of IUD per (academic?) year. But, as I have a tendency towards depression and anxiety even without BC, the mental side effects are pretty off-putting. I just wish I could know what I was getting into :sigh:

Depression as a side effect is tricky. When you were on Implanon, were you otherwise being treated for your depression etc.? How about when you haven't been on it? Are you being treated now?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Depression as a side effect is tricky. When you were on Implanon, were you otherwise being treated for your depression etc.? How about when you haven't been on it? Are you being treated now?

No, when I was on implanon, I moved three times (two states and then a new country!) and then when I got off things felt a lot better. I've been in therapy before, for other things, so I'm not opposed to it or anything – but when I went to a school mental health professional in November she told me I was depressed, but didn't offer anything more productive than, effectively, "get over it or drop out" (I wish I was exaggerating!). So, no treatment right now – partly due a lack of confidence in my school's mental health services, partly because things are pretty manageable right now (and, frankly, never get that bad). Right now I'm leaning towards the Mirena – it's a risk, but a reversible one.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
So, I've been two months without BC, and I hate it. I am not a fan of bleeding this much, nor the estrogen running rampant and causing my joints to hurt/be more injury prone. When I was younger, it was the only reason that the doctor could come up with for my hip dislocating at 15. I want to switch to the OB/GYN clinic through my hospital, and try to get the Mirena again, but I'm not exactly sure how? I guess, with the failed Mirena insertion a couple of years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Invalid Octopus posted:

I think it must be kind of an individual thing. My period on Paragard (so far) hasn't really been much heavier than my natural period. Maybe slightly worse and it lasts the same length of time as normal (6 days for me). Unfortunately it's one of those things you won't know until you try it. I will say I was very put off by all the info out there about heavier periods/cramping, which is why I avoided the IUD for a long time and expected the worst when I got it. But so far it's been very manageable and nothing like the horror stories you'll find online.

NewsGunkie posted:

So, I've been two months without BC, and I hate it. I am not a fan of bleeding this much, nor the estrogen running rampant and causing my joints to hurt/be more injury prone. When I was younger, it was the only reason that the doctor could come up with for my hip dislocating at 15. I want to switch to the OB/GYN clinic through my hospital, and try to get the Mirena again, but I'm not exactly sure how? I guess, with the failed Mirena insertion a couple of years ago.

As I understand it, you'll still have your natural levels of estrogen in your system with Mirena since it's progestin-only. So if that's what you're trying to take care of you'll need a combined form of BC like the pill, NuvaRing, or the patch. Probably one of the low dose pills. Why did you stop the birth control you were on?

• Locked thread