Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Yea or nay on secondary for cacao nibs?
I used 2 oz in a raspberry chocolate stout, was awesome. Gave it like an unsweetened/dark chocolate flavor--I used 2 oz of it, I can see it overpowering everything else if you're not careful, just like any other highly flavorful spicing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Midorka posted:

Well in the case of older beers isn't it possible that there wouldn't be enough yeast in suspension to carbonate? I was thinking that by adding yeast a certain amount would stay in suspension even after cold crashing. I mean, I cold crash my beers and there is always enough yeast to carbonate.

Some would stay in suspension, but you're missing the main point I was making. It's counterintuitive to add yeast that you need to carbonate the beer, then cold crash which would make it drop out

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Josh Wow posted:

Some would stay in suspension, but you're missing the main point I was making. It's counterintuitive to add yeast that you need to carbonate the beer, then cold crash which would make it drop out

I do understand that, but would adding it and cold crashing have more yeast per area than simply cold crashing a year old beer and then bottling it?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hypnolobster posted:

Carb drops and sugar cubes are pretty notorious for causing infections and being hilariously inaccurate.

You should probably just carb the keg, which will take about 2 weeks and then bottle some, vs bottling a few which will take 2 or 3 weeks to carb anyway.

If you're determined, my personal path would be to take the total volume of beer, divide it out into bottles and take the total volume of sugar solution made properly and figure out how much should end up in each bottle. Make some on the stove, use a disposable pipette or something else that you can measure with accurately in the mL range and dose each bottle.

random example, because I don't know what temperature or volumes you have:
5 gallons in 22oz bottles = 29
2.5 volumes desired in 5 gallons @ 40 degrees = 75.2 grams of cane sugar
75.2 / 29 = 2.6 grams per bottle of cane sugar to hit 2.5 volumes of co2

If you're bottling three, I'd make up a solution of sugar and boiled water at a concentration where a given volume (a couple mL's) will give you 2.5 grams of sugar in solution and dose each bottle.

Or just go the easier route and throw 2.6 grams of sugar into each bottle.

A really random old fashioned way to carb beer is by sanitizing some raisins in some star-san and then dropping a couple in the bottle.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
Thanks for the responses regarding the cacao nibs, but I guess I should've clarified that I was wondering whether secondary would be worth all the effort since the general consensus around here is that secondary is pointless in most cases where you aren't aging something.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

A really random old fashioned way to carb beer is by sanitizing some raisins in some star-san and then dropping a couple in the bottle.

:raise: I guess the idea is that wild yeast on the raisins survives the sanitizing while other stuff does not?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

withak posted:

:raise: I guess the idea is that wild yeast on the raisins survives the sanitizing while other stuff does not?

No, the idea is that yeast will eat the sugar in the raisins and carb the beer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Midorka posted:

Whoa, 20 minute mash? What's up with that?
Modern malts are dripping with enzymes so most of the time the mash is really done that fast if you bullseye the temp where beta and alpha amylase are both trucking at full capacity and everything after 20 minutes is insurance.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

The weirder part is the 12 oz. dry hop :eek:

Well to be fair he's doing a 13 gallon batch. When you scale that to 5 gallons it's more like 4.5oz of dry hops which, while a lot, isn't absurd.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

zedprime posted:

Modern malts are dripping with enzymes so most of the time the mash is really done that fast if you bullseye the temp where beta and alpha amylase are both trucking at full capacity and everything after 20 minutes is insurance.

Yep, do an iodine test and save yourself some time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Well to be fair he's doing a 13 gallon batch. When you scale that to 5 gallons it's more like 4.5oz of dry hops which, while a lot, isn't absurd.

I do have to admit 13 gallons is a pretty weird size.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
I'm ready to pitch the yeast into the Octoberfest style lager I've prepared but just noticed I've got a dry wheat beer yeast instead of the dry lager yeast I was meant to have.
Is this going to be a significant issue or am I just going to end up with a cloudy lager?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Rozzbot posted:

I'm ready to pitch the yeast into the Octoberfest style lager I've prepared but just noticed I've got a dry wheat beer yeast instead of the dry lager yeast I was meant to have.
Is this going to be a significant issue or am I just going to end up with a cloudy lager?

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you, but uh, yeah that will result in a completely different beer. It will produce booze but it's not going to taste anything like an Oktoberfest.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rozzbot posted:

Go back and purchase a lager yeast. Wheat yeast will be an entirely different beer and will probably not ferment out at lager fermentation temperatures.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Midorka posted:

I do understand that, but would adding it and cold crashing have more yeast per area than simply cold crashing a year old beer and then bottling it?

You'd have to do both and plate them to find out, but it's a pointless question. If you need to add more yeast to carbonate then do it after you cold crash

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Is an Octoberwheat a thing?
I ordered the grains and yeast from a new online store and they sent me out the wrong yeast.
All the local home brew stores here aren't open Sunday so I can't get new yeast until tomorrow. Leaving my wort overnight should be fine as long as everythings been properly sterilized right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rozzbot posted:

Is an Octoberwheat a thing?
I ordered the grains and yeast from a new online store and they sent me out the wrong yeast.
All the local home brew stores here aren't open Sunday so I can't get new yeast until tomorrow. Leaving my wort overnight should be fine as long as everythings been properly sterilized right?

The closest style I could think of would be a Weizenbock, but obviously the wort would have to be wheat based. I personally detest German wheat beers and am a pretty big fan of German lager, including most bocks.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Well, it seems there is a new brew shop opened only a few miles from me, and a club spinning up in association. I also found that I have been talked into doing a demo brew at the shop. Fortunately, my rig is going to get carried up there, so at least I will be familiar with the tools. I have no idea yet what to brew, though. My current thought is to brew a pretty standard California-style PA or IPA as I have all the ingredients on hand for it (apart from yeast, but that won't be a problem given I am brewing at the shop).

What would you guys suggest? I am thinking simple recipe, easy to brew, and approachable/popular with fairly new brewers. Amber something?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Jo3sh posted:

Well, it seems there is a new brew shop opened only a few miles from me, and a club spinning up in association. I also found that I have been talked into doing a demo brew at the shop. Fortunately, my rig is going to get carried up there, so at least I will be familiar with the tools. I have no idea yet what to brew, though. My current thought is to brew a pretty standard California-style PA or IPA as I have all the ingredients on hand for it (apart from yeast, but that won't be a problem given I am brewing at the shop).

What would you guys suggest? I am thinking simple recipe, easy to brew, and approachable/popular with fairly new brewers. Amber something?

An Irish red might be a thing to consider! It's that time of the year.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jo3sh posted:

Dry Irish Stout, although you'd have to be doing all-grain since you have to work with a good amount of adjuncts.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

Dry Irish Stout, although you'd have to be doing all-grain since you have to work with a good amount of adjuncts.

bengy81 posted:

An Irish red might be a thing to consider! It's that time of the year.

Those are both really good ideas. I had already considered an Irish Red since we discussed it as a style at the meeting last weekend (because of, as you noted, St. Patty's), but I had not thought of an Irish Stout. Looking into that one now.

Any other thoughts?

EDIT: hosed up the quoting.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 24, 2013

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Jo3sh posted:

Any other thoughts?

I like pointing new people to a belgian pale ale/table beer. Most people like belgian style beers and they're often expensive ones to buy, plus you can (generally) ferment it at room temp so it's great for beginners. Just do whatever two row or extract you like for the base, then like 5% honey malt and 5% table sugar and maybe some biscuit or abbey malt or special b if you want. An oz of something noble for bittering and another 1-2 oz of noble stuff at the end and you're golden.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Okay, I racked my mead for the first time last night.

I took a hydrometer reading and got 1.000 exactly. As I understand it, that means there's no more sugar in the mead for the yeast to eat, correct?

I tasted it and it was really dry-- way drier than I'd like to drink eventually, so I want to add more honey when I bottle it. Is this a recipe for bottle-bombs, or will the yeast have all given up by that point?

EDIT: Forgot to add, I crushed and threw in the campden tablets that came with the kit when I racked it.

Pucklynn fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 24, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeast never gives up, never surrenders. If you want to back-sweeten it with something fermentable like honey or fruit or whatever, get some campden tablets to actually kill the yeast off, then add your sweetener.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Pucklynn posted:

Okay, I racked my mead for the first time last night.

I took a hydrometer reading and got 1.000 exactly. As I understand it, that means there's no more sugar in the mead for the yeast to eat, correct?

I tasted it and it was really dry-- way drier than I'd like to drink eventually, so I want to add more honey when I bottle it. Is this a recipe for bottle-bombs, or will the yeast have all given up by that point?

EDIT: Forgot to add, I crushed and threw in the campden tablets that came with the kit when I racked it.
Like Munki said, never underestimate yeast. It is drat near impossible to kill without pasteurization or a chemical overdose. I've had mead with a heavy honey/fruit OG ferment out to .996 and ridiculous alcohol content using a non-champagne yeast that should have technically died of alcohol poisoning a long rear end time before that. If you're backsweetening a mead, more honey of the same type you brewed with is definitely the way to go; but you want to stabilize that stuff before you add more sugars.

A sweet mead/wine relies on one of two things. You can let it go totally dry and then stabilize/backsweeten. Or you use so much honey in the boil that the yeast strain can't eat it all and you let that sit under airlock for a few months, racking once or twice to make sure the gravity doesn't change. With something you're going to be potentially storing for 6 months to several years, I generally recommend the easy and failsafe stabilization/backsweetening. I'd only use the mass-sugars approach to a sweet wine if I was actively avoiding the use of K-meta or K-sorbate in that wine.

I use a combo of potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate in proper amounts for wine stabilization and it has yet to fail me. Campden tabs only contain potassium/sodium metabisulfite and generally benefit from the assistance of potassium sorbate in stopping or preventing a fermentation when introducing additional sugars. Potassium metabisulfite stuns a yeast and inhibits yeast/bacterial growth; but it does not really kill the yeast, nor does it stop them from reproducing. Potassium sorbate neuters yeast, rendering it impossible for any living cells to reproduce; but it will not stop those existing yeast from eating their fill. A potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate combo in the appropriate amounts will thus stop or prevent pretty much anything that isn't a champagne yeast without changing your flavor profile at all.

By the way, make sure you check that people don't have sulfite allergies before offering them anything that you used campden or K-meta in. Cheers.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Yeast never gives up, never surrenders. If you want to back-sweeten it with something fermentable like honey or fruit or whatever, get some campden tablets to actually kill the yeast off, then add your sweetener.

Campden and potassium sorbate will do if your back sweetening. Campden alone will shock it but if your adding enough sugars it will come back, it will find the sugars, and it will explode.

How old is the mead? It may just be young, that really hot flavor is a sign of that.

If you want to let it age a mellow out more (and not add more sugars), you can just use campden since even if the grav drops .004 its just going make make your mead sparkling and shouldn't blow up your bottles.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Well, the mead is only a month old so I'm hoping it will age and mellow. I guess we'll find out in another couple months. I'd like to get it bottled by about three or four months (leaving here in August and it needs to be transportable by then). I'd like it to be sparkling, but I'm not so sure I want to risk it with my first mead.

Since I've added the campden already, would it be reasonable to rack it once more, add the appropriate amount of potassium sorbate at that point and back-sweeten it at bottling time a month or two later?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Pucklynn posted:

I just wanted to follow up on this because I don't think it was specifically addressed yet. No, 1.000 does not mean all the sugar is gone. It only means that the particular blend of alcohol, water, and sugar you have in your fermenter has a specific gravity of 1.000. A mix of water and alcohol alone with have an SG of less than 1.000, so there is still some remaining sugar in there.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
After receiving a homebrew kit for Christmas from my wife's parents I have brewed six batches and bottled four of them. The first batch was an American Wheat that disappeared very quickly as I shared them with my family and friends. The subsequent batches have been beers with less mass appeal so I should be the primary consumer of most of them.

I brewed using the "Boundary Waters Wheat" kit from Midwest Supplies yesterday. I have been bugging my wife to make a loaf of bread using the spent grains since I brewed the first batch and this time she did. She put the dough together yesterday afternoon, punched it down, then let it sit on cookie sheets overnight. She baked it this morning and it was pretty awesome. Steeping grains are a resource to be treasured!

Yesterday some friends and I went to the Beertopia Extreme beer Fest. It was a beer tasting event in a hotel conference center where nearly all the beers were >=7% ABV. It started at three and I was pretty much useless by six. I wanted to try as much of the weird brews as possible. Some of the stuff that I tried:
    A pear cider
    A couple of cask aged barleywines
    A peanut butter stout
    A Brett Saison (it did not taste at all like I was expecting. No horse blanket at all)
    A marshmallow stout (surprisingly good)
    A ghost pepper IPA that was pretty mild
    A ghost pepper something else (I was pretty drunk at this point) that was pretty spicy - I don't think I could handle a whole pint of it
    A couple of Russian Imperial Stouts
    Lots of black IPAs
    A hemp seed IPA that was ... flavorful?
    Various beers that had been aged in various barrels, rum barrels, oak barrels, wine barrels...
    A vanilla stout ice cream that I thought would be vile but was actually pretty good
    A S'Mores porter that for me was the highlight of the event

I have never had cider other than Woodchuck before and I was surprised at how dry it is.

The guys from one of the local brew clubs had a Ghostbusters theme. They were dressed up in brown jumpsuits and all their beers had Ghostbusters themed names. The black IPA was called Winston and the marshmallow stout was the Stay Puft. They had people in the jumpsuits walking around dispensing beers and ciders from black backpacks made up to look like the proton packs from the movies. They were clearly having a good time.

I am not a huge fan of IPAs. When I have had them in the past the hop flavor is just so overwhelming. Some of the IPAs I had yesterday did not present such a full scale assault on my senses. Do IPAs get more "harsh" as they age or is the harshness something that mellows out over time?

I really want to try to make something like the S'mores porter, and I'd like to make it pretty soon so it is ready for summer grilling. Does anyone have any recipes they have actually made and tried? I have found a couple online but they were always from people who hadn't actually made them.

Last weekend I bottled a porter that I had transferred for secondary fermentation. That was the only beer that I have put in secondary. The previous two batches that I have bottled were carbonated after one week in the bottle (I couldn't wait... the wheat was fine, the scotch ale was way better after more time in the bottle). The porter that was bottled from secondary had almost zero carbonation one week after bottling. Is that normal for beers that have been transferred to secondary? It seems to make sense that a beer would take longer to carbonate after being twice separated from the majority of the yeast.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

PBCrunch posted:

I am not a huge fan of IPAs. When I have had them in the past the hop flavor is just so overwhelming. Some of the IPAs I had yesterday did not present such a full scale assault on my senses. Do IPAs get more "harsh" as they age or is the harshness something that mellows out over time?
I think most people don't like IPAs when they start getting into beer; it's an acquired taste. However, there certainly is a very wide range of character in IPAs, many of which are more subtle than others. Keep giving them a chance and I bet you'll stumble on something you like. And yes, in my experience they tend to mellow with age.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Last night, a friend of mine brought over some beers that he bottled 5 years ago. The first was a honey nut brown ale. This beer seemed to defy all of the conventional wisdom I've heard about storing beer for a long time. The carbonation was absolutely perfect. The aroma was huge, and was probably the honey-ist beer I've even smelled. The taste was great too, and surprisingly, very sweet! He did nothing to prepare the bottles for long term storage and used standard caps and naturally carbonated. I have no idea how the carbonation managed to hold and the flavor remained so sweet.

He also had a honey wheat. This one also had fine carbonation, maybe just a little over-carbed. However, the aroma and taste were very vinegary, so we suspect it was infected at some point. It was undrinkable.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
What's worse for the beer, pitching around 75 degrees or letting the wort sit in the cooler for a few hours until it hits 60-65? Brewing a porter using Wyeast London Ale (1028).

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The wort will be fine in the cooler for a few hours if you want to wait to pitch the yeast. I do that all winter long (brew, rack, then leave outside for a few hours before I pitch). I wouldn't suggest pitching first and then throwing it in the cooler though, as big changes in temperatures once the yeast is active are a big no-no.

Re: carbonation over time: in my experience once something is carbonated it's carbonated ... pretty much for the life of the beverage. I think you're more likely to see the [liquid] go bad before you see it go flat (assuming the container is properly sealed).

I'd love to see a chart or some real data though. Can't find anything solid in my books or Google. I'm sure it's out there though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

vwman18 posted:

What's worse for the beer, pitching around 75 degrees or letting the wort sit in the cooler for a few hours until it hits 60-65? Brewing a porter using Wyeast London Ale (1028).

As long as your sanitation methods are good, it's better to get it to the right temperature rather than pitching hot. How are you cooling the wort, ambient air?

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong

Toebone posted:

As long as your sanitation methods are good, it's better to get it to the right temperature rather than pitching hot. How are you cooling the wort, ambient air?

Cooling via immersion chiller, but I'm in Florida and groundwater is pretty warm even this time of year. It takes me forever just to get it down to 75.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
^^ Might want to invest in a prechiller like this or make a larger one of your own out of some copper tube and fittings at some point. Sit the little bugger in an ice+salt bath prior to your immersion chiller and it'll drop things considerably faster.

Pucklynn posted:

Since I've added the campden already, would it be reasonable to rack it once more, add the appropriate amount of potassium sorbate at that point and back-sweeten it at bottling time a month or two later?
That should be fine; but I would recommend adding your stabilizing compounds at the same time and just before bottling in the future. Most people I've known stabilize 8 to 24 hours before backsweetening just to make absolute certain fermentation is stopped. It isn't necessary to wait a set amount of time; but it is best to give it a little while to produce the yeast-stopping products before you introduce new sugars.

As to sparkling mead, it can only be done dry or with non-sugar sweeteners; because you can't pasteurize it like you can a sparkling cider without ruining the flavor profile. With wine, you have to let it ferment out all the sugars, then you have to introduce just enough sugars prior to bottling to carb up as you would do with beer. Do not ever do that in standard bottles, though. Wine bottles aren't meant for pressure. At best you'll blow the cork. If you're set on a sparkling wine, use champagne bottles with appropriate tops or beer bottles with caps. (Beer bottles can still explode if you get the carb wrong, btw.)

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
What would be the proper procedure for putting something starchy like a sweet potato in to a beer? Should I just boil it in its own water and then put it in to a cheesecloth bag and toss it in to the wort? I am not sure how all the starch might affect the beer, anyone ever tried it?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Porkchop Express posted:

What would be the proper procedure for putting something starchy like a sweet potato in to a beer? Should I just boil it in its own water and then put it in to a cheesecloth bag and toss it in to the wort? I am not sure how all the starch might affect the beer, anyone ever tried it?

I'd treat it the same as pumpkin, and there's a lot of internet resources for brewing with pumpkin. Roast it at a high temperature to get some caramelization and flavor development, scoop out the potato (leaving the skin behind) and add it directly to the mash. If you aren't brewing all-grain, google "partial mash", it's easy. You just need to steep a pound or so of a base malt like US 2-row or Maris Otter with the potatoes around 150F for half an hour to activate the enzymes in the malt which convert all that starch to sugar. Then proceed with your brew day as normal.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Docjowles posted:

I'd treat it the same as pumpkin, and there's a lot of internet resources for brewing with pumpkin. Roast it at a high temperature to get some caramelization and flavor development, scoop out the potato (leaving the skin behind) and add it directly to the mash. If you aren't brewing all-grain, google "partial mash", it's easy. You just need to steep a pound or so of a base malt like US 2-row or Maris Otter with the potatoes around 150F for half an hour to activate the enzymes in the malt which convert all that starch to sugar. Then proceed with your brew day as normal.

drat, im gonna need a bigger pot cause my poo poo is almost overflowing as it is before putting a pound of sweet potatoes in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
You can't cold crash a beer for too long, can you? My IPA has been sitting in primary at 32* for a week and I meant to keg it this weekend after brewing but never got around to it. Aside from losing another week of freshness before drinking, would it hurt it to sit in the fridge until next weekend?