Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You seem to be saying the opposite of what you mean here. To clarify; you can only have one minister of a single type at any one time, so if you already have a MotM then you can't hire another. If there's a better/younger one then you can replace the old one directly.

Yeah I realized that came out wrong as soon as I posted. Guess I wasn't quick enough on the edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Paradox Grand Strategy: Wait, Stockholm isn't in Middle Earth?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Ready to have your mind blown? Back in the day they used to have a secondary and often tertiary row of apartments in those courtyards, which were cleared out at some point because people realized that cholera is kind of lovely.
Doesn't Japan still have problems with this?

*edit*
Wiz, you have a Vicky2+ thing on your website. Are you still actually working on that?

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 24, 2013

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Plus it's weird, because it seems like half the windows are like looking into other peoples houses from 20 feet away.

This is not uncommon in a dense area. I live in NYC and my living room window looks directly into some other dude's living room window about 12-15 feet away. You get used to it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Plus it's weird, because it seems like half the windows are like looking into other peoples houses from 20 feet away.

Windows in major cities like that aren't for the view. They're for safety for you to jump out of 9/11 style when your building catches on fire or to let in the "fresh" air of automobile fumes. Some dickhead named Teddy Roosevelt decided every room needs to have a window so the 30 Irish immigrants that stifle up a single room had some way to escape when their overpopulated hovel caught fire. :allears: Ah the glory days of the early 1900s.

So I beat England in the war as Scotland and Annexed three more counties. I forced them to release Wales and Cornwall. Literally right after I conclude the war I get three seperate wars declared on me and all my Allies except the moron vassals I have in North Africa decline to assist me. I can easily swat off the Irish war since that is a lone county. However Portugal brought in the Papacy and some other place I never heard of before. The third war is from Norway doing a "reconquest" (what the gently caress?) on the Scottish Highlands. I could probably fend off the Norweigan and Irish war but there is no way in hell I'm going to be able to win against Portugal and friends. I'm already at 20% War Weariness from my slugfest with England.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 24, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

As an actual live Yank, I always wonder what they do with those weird courtyards in the middle of the blocks. They seemed to hemmed in/shadowed to be nice place to relax, you can't get at them to park cars, you haven't stuck a McDonalds there, so... ???

Have you never been to a European city? If anything, Stockholm appears to have an uncharacteristically regular and orderly layout. Probably because the Scandinavians have always had a lot of room to spare.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Phlegmish posted:

Have you never been to a European city? If anything, Stockholm appears to have an uncharacteristically regular and orderly layout. Probably because the Scandinavians have always had a lot of room to spare.

Nope. I'd love to travel, but money and life... well... :smith:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

*edit*
Wiz, you have a Vicky2+ thing on your website. Are you still actually working on that?

Check it out, it's not really functional but it has good ideas and I'm sure Wiz wouldn't mind people taking inspiration from it.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Phlegmish posted:

To be fair, I believe that part of Stockholm is actually fairly new; compare these city plans with eachother: 1750 and 1866. I think more than one house might've been changed...

Now these are just city plans, so that might not have been what the city looked like, but the 1866 version is sort of similar to what we see today. Now compare the planning to the island you see in the north of each picture. That one... is not so planned.

Paradox Grand Strategy: Learning about Stockholms city plans from 5000 B.C. to 2014 A.D.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Paradox please make your next game Stockholm Universalis, where you play as a city planner fighting against the other city planners of Stockholm tia

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Freudian posted:

Check it out, it's not really functional but it has good ideas and I'm sure Wiz wouldn't mind people taking inspiration from it.

Wait, he's done working on it? :smith:

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Farecoal posted:

Wait, he's done working on it? :smith:

Wiz is done everything. I believe he said he was going to make CK2Plus compatable witih current patches but no new features any longer.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zerf posted:

To be fair, I believe that part of Stockholm is actually fairly new; compare these city plans with eachother: 1750 and 1866. I think more than one house might've been changed...

Now these are just city plans, so that might not have been what the city looked like, but the 1866 version is sort of similar to what we see today. Now compare the planning to the island you see in the north of each picture. That one... is not so planned.

Here's my city in the year of our Lord 2013:

But yes, it's true that a lot of major cities have been almost completely overhauled since the early 19th century.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zerf posted:

Yeah, a lot of cities were redesigned (by brutally flattening the old medieval areas) or had major (as in the size of the existing city) new urban areas added to them in the early modern-modern period, which really changed their character. Paris is probably the best example of this, going straight from medieval alleys to the modern Parisian boulevard in places. Really, a lot of these changes are so dramatic that I think people have a hard time imagining what those cities were like before, so they project the layout of modern cities unto the past. This despite the fact that churches and castles might be the only parts that are actual remnants of the middle ages/renaissance, and then they might even have been modified in the mean time! I believe my local cathedral has had something like 4 different spires through the ages, depending on the fashions of the era, and of course a fire that was a perfect excuse to make it bigger.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Hey, Paradox dudes, I know your probably not going to do CKII/V2 style event pictures for EUIV, but is there any chance of including the event picture code so that we could build a fan event image pack or something? :shobon:

EDIT: I'd probably start gathering images right now! Of course, what would be really excellent is code where you could change the event picture based off year/culture/relgion, kind of like the music DLC. So the same comet event for China could have a different picture then early tech Europe and late tech Europe.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 25, 2013

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, a lot of cities were redesigned (by brutally flattening the old medieval areas) or had major (as in the size of the existing city) new urban areas added to them in the early modern-modern period, which really changed their character. Paris is probably the best example of this, going straight from medieval alleys to the modern Parisian boulevard in places. Really, a lot of these changes are so dramatic that I think people have a hard time imagining what those cities were like before, so they project the layout of modern cities unto the past. This despite the fact that churches and castles might be the only parts that are actual remnants of the middle ages/renaissance, and then they might even have been modified in the mean time! I believe my local cathedral has had something like 4 different spires through the ages, depending on the fashions of the era, and of course a fire that was a perfect excuse to make it bigger.

Plus a lot of European cites, or at least Germany, got bombed to flattened rubble during WW2, which gave them an opportunity to modernize a lot of poo poo after the war.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

ImPureAwesome posted:

Plus a lot of European cites, or at least Germany, got bombed to flattened rubble during WW2, which gave them an opportunity to modernize a lot of poo poo after the war.

Or in the case of the UK, rebuild it in exactly the same infuriating way it was constructed in the first place.

Because screw you, Hitler.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I recognize the shape of euro cities based on all the videogames I have blowing them up.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Let it be known:

Steppe Wolfe: Phoenix has a remarkably stable Multiplayer. Frionnel and I played 90 minutes of Phoenix Wolfe without a single crash.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Westminster System posted:

Or in the case of the UK, rebuild it in exactly the same infuriating way it was constructed in the first place.

Because screw you, Hitler.

Or in the case of Sweden which wasn't bombed at all, where politicians during the 60-70s destroyed beautiful old buildings all over the country and replaced them with brutalist monstrosities.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DrProsek posted:

Paradox please make your next game Stockholm Universalis, where you play as a city planner fighting against the other city planners of Stockholm tia

Wait, so basically "Paradox Development Studios Does Their Take on SimCity"? Hell yeah! Build a city in any place in the world and watch it grow through the centuries, from a dilapidated fishing village by the river in 1400 to a bustling 21st century metropolis, through some of the most tumultuous years of human history!

EDIT: I can imagine a lot of players rage-quitting after their precious town gets razed in the World War 2 event.

"Playing as Nagasaki, how do I survive getting nuked?"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

YouTuber posted:

Windows in major cities like that aren't for the view. They're for safety for you to jump out of 9/11 style when your building catches on fire or to let in the "fresh" air of automobile fumes. Some dickhead named Teddy Roosevelt decided every room needs to have a window so the 30 Irish immigrants that stifle up a single room had some way to escape when their overpopulated hovel caught fire. :allears: Ah the glory days of the early 1900s.

The shift from the pure utilitarianism of windows to their importance for viewing actually happened a couple decades after that period, when Le Corbusier started making waves and got into the horizontal/vertical window debates with Auguste Perret. And to wit:

Theodore Dalrymple posted:

In The Radiant City, Le Corbusier provides an aerial photograph of Stockholm as it was, an astonishingly beautiful assemblage of buildings that he saw only as “frightening chaos and saddening monotony.” He dreamed of “cleaning and purging” the city, importing “a calm and powerful architecture”—that is to say, the purportedly true variety that steel, plate glass, and reinforced concrete as designed by him brought with them. Le Corbusier never got to destroy Stockholm, but architects inspired by his doctrines have gone a fair way toward doing so.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 25, 2013

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DrSunshine posted:

Why would you play Nagasaki, or any city really, when you could play a Hero City of the Soviet Union?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, so basically "Paradox Development Studios Does Their Take on SimCity"? Hell yeah! Build a city in any place in the world and watch it grow through the centuries, from a dilapidated fishing village by the river in 1400 to a bustling 21st century metropolis, through some of the most tumultuous years of human history!

EDIT: I can imagine a lot of players rage-quitting after their precious town gets razed in the World War 2 event.

I would play this game so hard. I would pay serious money to play this game. I would build Boston to make sense from day one. I know this will never happen but ohhhhhh, I want it to.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
There is Cities in Motion, though I never really figured out how it worked and stopped playing it. (Before Darkrenown says it, it's PI and not PDS).

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I would play this game so hard. I would pay serious money to play this game. I would build Boston to make sense from day one. I know this will never happen but ohhhhhh, I want it to.
A good historic city-building game should encourage the exact sort of logic that leads to gordian knot-like street layouts, with the cost of Haussmannization being absurdly high. :colbert:

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Fintilgin posted:

As an actual live Yank, I always wonder what they do with those weird courtyards in the middle of the blocks. They seemed to hemmed in/shadowed to be nice place to relax, you can't get at them to park cars, you haven't stuck a McDonalds there, so... ???

Please visit a real city.

I'm not knocking you, but I feel like you've been stuck living in either the wilderness, or Sprawlsville USA.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ofaloaf posted:

A good historic city-building game should encourage the exact sort of logic that leads to gordian knot-like street layouts, with the cost of Haussmannization being absurdly high. :colbert:

You have no idea how badly I wish that Sim City was this. I want my cities to grow rather than merely expand.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

You have no idea how badly I wish that Sim City was this. I want my cities to grow rather than merely expand.

I always thought that, lack of direct control side, Transport Tycoon did this better and produced more organic looking cities.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Best mechanic I could think off would be to make the cost of road-laying to be very high and limit financial controls early on, meaning that the player only has the cash to lay down a few major trunk roads. AI-residents would then lay down their own roads at no cost to and with no control by the player, leading to a couple sensible roads and then a clusterfuck of small roads leading off into the residenial areas (also grown by the AI and outside the player's control). Later research/inventions/events would enable better revenue-garnering techniques, increased player control over the city and finally the ability to demolish poo poo. By the time the player has all that stuff, however, the city would be like London circa 1666 or Paris in the early 19th century or some such.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Yea, even with all the cool modding poo poo you can get for SC4 nowadays it's still essentially an American City simulator first and SC5 doesn't look much better apart from freely drawing roads now. I want awful, confusing historic city centers and organic-looking villages whose development followed the terrain instead of 3x3 suburbia blocks.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Lord Tywin posted:

Or in the case of Sweden which wasn't bombed at all, where politicians during the 60-70s destroyed beautiful old buildings all over the country and replaced them with brutalist monstrosities.
Germany is the worst offender. There were so many destroyed buildings after the war that architects everywhere basically lost their loving minds. German architecture from this period is some of the worst in the world.

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, a DF-like where you build some tiny wilderness fort/trading port and see it grow and modernize into a bustling metropolis (and then spiral into a decay/gentrification cycle before completely collapsing) over hundreds of years would be really boss. DF: Detroit, basically.

Ofaloaf posted:

I want my Swiss-Arab city on Mars, with annual Fasnacht celebrations and the Arabs getting upset unless there's some lovely medina where all the buildings are cramped and leaning in on each other.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Crackpipe posted:

Please visit a real city.

I'm not knocking you, but I feel like you've been stuck living in either the wilderness, or Sprawlsville USA.

It's the wilderness!

Also, I've visited Boston, New York, and D.C. a few times. :colbert:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Boston should have had a city-wide fire, it's a good excuse to rebuild everything to make sense :smug:

That's pre-fire Chicago

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Farecoal posted:

Boston should have had a city-wide fire, it's a good excuse to rebuild everything to make sense :smug:

I would rather have Boston stay the way it is rather than have it be rebuilt with some horrible sprawled out grid pattern that would inevitably be implemented.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Paradox City Planning: From Los Angeles to Stockholm

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Proposition Joe posted:

I would rather have Boston stay the way it is rather than have it be rebuilt with some horrible sprawled out grid pattern that would inevitably be implemented.
Given how long it took -- and how many people were killed in accidents during -- the Big Dig, I wouldn't have any confidence in the City of Boston to rebuild itself. I'd just give the ruins to the Irish and build up the metro area to the south. Maybe take Rhode Island by force.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
So, I just got the Finest Hour expansion pack for HOI3 (I already own all the other expansions) and fired up a new Grand Campaign as Republican Spain. I have no mods of any kind installed. When I started the game, this was there:

That is Nationalist Spain, occupying precisely one province, and it already existed on January 1, 1936. It is not at war with me, I cannot declare war on it, and it is now February 20th, 1937 and the Spanish Civil War events have still yet to fire.

The gently caress is up with this game?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

YouTuber posted:

So I beat England in the war as Scotland and Annexed three more counties. I forced them to release Wales and Cornwall. Literally right after I conclude the war I get three seperate wars declared on me and all my Allies except the moron vassals I have in North Africa decline to assist me. I can easily swat off the Irish war since that is a lone county. However Portugal brought in the Papacy and some other place I never heard of before. The third war is from Norway doing a "reconquest" (what the gently caress?) on the Scottish Highlands. I could probably fend off the Norweigan and Irish war but there is no way in hell I'm going to be able to win against Portugal and friends. I'm already at 20% War Weariness from my slugfest with England.

OK, I guess the obvious question is what's your infamy like right now? That and the horrible state of your war weariness is probably what drove the declarations of war. Your best bet is probably to sue for the best peace you can get from Portugal - forget about "winning," just offer them ducats, concessions, annulments, whatever you can get away with that won't permanently weaken you.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

I don't know why you guys are hating on grid cities so much, one of my favorite things about Vancouver is its grid layout, it makes public transit easier to use, and gently caress, it just straight up makes it way easier to implement. It's also really nice looking.

edit: Though I guess Vancouver is actually more like a bunch of grids all turned various angles and connected to the central grid, but hey.

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Farecoal posted:

Yeah, I guess a Molasses Flood doesn't cut it.

(I love the story of the Molasses Flood so much)

• Locked thread