Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

The Kins posted:

The Alien's attack seems to be causing a lot of FPS drama with this version for some weird reason. I'll have to play around with it.

A few words on the Sectoids. In 1.31, you couldn't cause infighting among the Sectoids because their psionic attacks were blocked by other Sectoids.

In X2, this is no longer the case. You still can't cause infighting among the Sectoids, but a Sectoid's psionic attack can now pass through its buddies to get to you. They're still immune to the damage caused by psionics (now including your own, incidentally), but they still react as though they're being hurt by it, which includes the bleeding effects.

As the Sectoid crowd grows, a single Sectoid can potentially be hit by a great many psionic attacks at once. I started a game where I flew to the top of Gutrot Island and watched from above as the Sectoids tried to fire at me, and witnessed two things: a single Sectoid getting hit from all directions, and my FPS plummeting to single digits. In 1.31, neither of these things occurred.

Hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Segmentation Fault posted:

Extreme Paintbrawl?

Does NERF: Arena Blast almost count? It was based on the UT engine and I think I remember it being slightly less terrible than some other options edit: actually quite good in terms of "non-lethal" first-person shooter combat...

But it's not paint ball, so for people really looking for a virtual, tactical analogue to that, it's not the same.

\/\/\/ That's pretty cool, and after I read your post I actually remember it getting positive reviews. Thanks for the good work (and on one of the few engines that will still run on my early 2000's-era desktop).

TheMammoth fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 24, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I worked on Nerf Arena Blast and it is a really fun game, believe it or not. Really challenging and the weapons are cool as hell.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So it falls into the "Chex Quest" category of "Mom-approved FPS made less violent via bright colors and fluffy combat"? Interesting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I remember playing the demo of Nerf a long time ago, really really vaguely. I remember enjoying it, but it seems kind of surreal while trying to remember it. I think there was a weapon that used the Redeemer remote-control system?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I worked on Nerf Arena Blast and it is a really fun game, believe it or not. Really challenging and the weapons are cool as hell.
Oh hey, neat! Any interesting stories from working on it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Extreme Paintbrawl is a grotesque caricature of everything that is wrong in the world. It is the worst of all things. It is hatred and loathing in digital format.
The developer was given a mere two weeks by his publisher to fart it out. That's why the AI's so broken - it's literally unfinished!

The guy went on to work on the Bioshock games, apparently, so clearly his career wasn't hurt too badly by it.

CoarsestGrate posted:

A few words on the Sectoids...
This is very helpful. Thanks!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 24, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

The developer was given a mere two weeks by his publisher to fart it out. That's why the AI's so broken - it's literally unfinished!

Apparently the publisher thought it was a great recipe for success since there was an Extreme Paintbrawl 2 (using the Genesis3D engine which gave it a rather interesting assortment of siblings), and an Extreme Paintbrawl 3, which did double-duty as Extreme Paintbrawl 4.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

(using the Genesis3D engine which gave it a rather interesting assortment of siblings)
Hahaha, holy poo poo!

Cat Mattress posted:

and an Extreme Paintbrawl 3, which did double-duty as Extreme Paintbrawl 4.
Now that's some Dodgy Taiwanese Pirate Kart levels of trickery right there.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 24, 2013

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo!
No kidding. Anyone who hasn't read that wiki article yet really should. I don't want to spoil it but :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
17 years ago today, a little file called qtest1.zip got uploaded to the Id FTP...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kgwuba7GOA

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A piece of history right there. I love how the alpha test already had the final model of the rocket launcher and the super shotgun.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I always thought the Quake rocket launcher was one of the ugliest gun models of all time. It's just a misshapen lump of brown.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Yodzilla posted:

I always thought [...] Quake [...] was one of the ugliest [games] of all time. It's just a misshapen lump of brown.

:v:

Quake has never held my interest quite as well as Doom has, but it's without a doubt been far more influential in sculpting the modern FPS. So, for that, happy birthday qtest1.zip, I guess.

(Plus, that family tree of game engines stemming back to the Quake engine is loving fascinating.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

I always thought the Quake rocket launcher was one of the ugliest gun models of all time. It's just a misshapen lump of brown.
It brushes up pretty well in one of its many technological bastard children, though.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

I love Quake but I don't like the zero positive feedback on shooting enemies. Doom's super-fast single sprite pain frames plus the ability to actually push monsters back with weapons - depending on what you're using - feels a lot better than shooting Quake monsters, which feel like hitting concrete blocks. Same goes for Quake II, really.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Reposting this from the Steam thread:

Tecman posted:

The daily deal is the Unreal Deal Pack at 66% off. Buy that poo poo!

edit: And then let's play Unreal Gold in co-op.
I really feel like co-oping the Unreal games - Unreal, Unreal: Return to Na Pali and the UT mod with hilariously bad voice acting, Operation Na Pali.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kmxexii posted:

I love Quake but I don't like the zero positive feedback on shooting enemies. Doom's super-fast single sprite pain frames plus the ability to actually push monsters back with weapons - depending on what you're using - feels a lot better than shooting Quake monsters, which feel like hitting concrete blocks. Same goes for Quake II, really.

Yeah, enemies in Doom have way more health than their modern equivalents, but they actually bleed, yell and flinch when hit, which makes then satisfying punching bags to unload on. A lot of early full-3D shooters tried to replicate that feel, but it ends up feeling like you're just deducting health until they fall over.

Part of what makes Brutal Doom so popular is that it just expands on that, by adding variety to the damage reactions, as well as different responses to being hit by each weapon type.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Tecman posted:

I really feel like co-oping the Unreal games - Unreal, Unreal: Return to Na Pali and the UT mod with hilariously bad voice acting, Operation Na Pali.

I'm in if you're doing it on Euro time. How many players can you fit in Unreal co-op anyway? Doing Brutal Doom a few years back with about 8 of us was a blast, haven't had that much fun in MP since.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

It's what's inside that counts. :colbert:

And by inside, I mean "gibbing trash enemies", "launching Ogres into the atmosphere" and "juggling bots with rockets".

quote:

Unreal Deal.

If anyone gets this, I would highly recommend you use the 227 patch on Unreal Gold. 227 allows you to connect to all of the servers (DM and Coop) out there without any problems, fixes tons of bugs, includes a new editor that works in 64-bit OSes and is a lot less crash-happy than the original one, makes it possible to run almost all of the mods and maps out there (except for some that were made in really early versions of Unreal) and has a fix that lets you play RtNP in coop mode.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 24, 2013

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
It's been awhile since I've played Quake (I should do something about that maybe!), but I definitely recall all the monsters at least making grunts of pain when shot. Hard to hear over your own guns, though.

I feel like some later games have tried to do the reaction to damage but then take it too far, with exaggerated animations that basically let you stunlock enemies by shooting their limbs. It's a tough thing to get right.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

kmxexii posted:

The ogre's sometimes fell down when you shot them. I think the grunts did too but I'm never sure what triggers it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

Are you kidding me? I've always thought it was, "Just two bros making their favorite game a reality". I swear when my rear end in a top hat friend brought it over and we installed it on my 166mhz PC, that's what the instruction manual's bio said. I've been lied to this entire time...unbelievable.

Re: Quake: In addition to what other people are saying, I feel like its arsenal was pretty loving dull. The single shot and double barreled shotguns didn't have the feel of their Doom counterparts. They had mushy sounds and there wasn't any visible pumping or reloading. The "nailguns" were alright but too similar--one was just a faster version of the other. Then the rocket launcher which, at best, wasn't an upgrade over Doom's version in any way. There wasn't an "endgame"-type weapon either: No BFG-9000 to room-clear with, just a gun that would kill you if you used it underwater.

The only really novel thing to come out of the game was the grenade launcher.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 24, 2013

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
You know, there's a lot that's awful about Brutal Doom (mostly the fact that Sgt_Mark is a huge piece of poo poo and really loves making that obvious) but gently caress if it doesn't make infighting fun to watch. The monster-on-monster fatalities are awesome.

Seriously, seeing a Demon munch on a Former Sergeant made me poo poo bricks the first time I saw it happen, because I completely didn't know monsters could do fatalities on each other. :stare:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are you kidding me? I've always thought it was, "Just two bros making their favorite game a reality". I swear when my rear end in a top hat friend brought it over and we installed it on my 166mhz PC, that's what the instruction manual's bio said. I've been lied to this entire time...unbelievable.

Re: Quake: In addition to what other people are saying, I feel like its arsenal was pretty loving dull. The single shot and double barreled shotguns didn't have the feel of their Doom counterparts. They had mushy sounds and there wasn't any visible pumping or reloading. The "nailguns" were alright but too similar--one was just a faster version of the other. Then the rocket launcher which, at best, wasn't an upgrade over Doom's version in any way. There wasn't an "endgame"-type weapon either: No BFG-9000 to room-clear with, just a gun that would kill you if you used it underwater.

The only really novel thing to come out of the game was the grenade launcher.

Quake 1's biggest problem was that most of the weapons were made obsolete by other weapons. There's no reason to use the Nailgun after picking up the Super Nailgun, the Shotgun is only useful for sniping after picking up the Super Shotgun, and the Grenade Launcher is almost completely outclassed by the Rocket Launcher.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

0 rows returned posted:

The ogre's sometimes fell down when you shot them. I think the grunts did too but I'm never sure what triggers it.

Yeah, all Quake monsters that I can think of have some sort of flinch reaction when shot, along with bleeding/shouting. I think the only difference from Doom in that respect is that you can't push them backwards.

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Sorry if this has been posted already somewhere in the tread, but does anyone know of a fix for the OpenGl .dll error that occurs with mods like Urban Terror for Q3 on Windows 7?

I've searched in vain, and what seems to work for most people (downloading a new copy of the .dll and putting it in your base game directory) does not for me unless I'm somehow doing it wrong or missing a step.

Basic Q3 works, and I can get Urban Terror to the mod title screen with a Glide wrapper, but then the in-game graphics are blank, without any textures, along with other errors.

I'm on Windows 7 32bit with an old Radeon 9800XT. Tried updating to the last legacy drivers I can use, patched everything, and so on.

Also, does anyone know whether Requiem will run on XP, or was 98 the last version it worked on? I know it's one of the few games that simply does not work on modern systems these days. I'm considering dual booting with XP given the above issues, plus I have a closet full of old FPS games (Requiem, Unreal, UT, HL1, Q1-3, Sin, Undying, others) that are just easier to get running properly on XP.

Edit: Wow, just followed that Genesis3D wiki link and "holy poo poo" seems like an understatement. This is the entirety of the "Notable Games" section (in a neutral-to-positive entry)- Barbie Generation: Girl Gotta Groove, Dragons Lair 3D, Special Force (anti-semitic game made by Hezbollah), Ethnic Cleansing, Extreme Paintbrawl 2, and Catechumen (in which you free the souls of Roman soldiers with the power of God).

TheMammoth fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 24, 2013

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

0 rows returned posted:

All of those jerks had pain animations but nothing compares to sheer pushback. As ridiculous as the knockback on the shotgun and SSG were in Winter's Fury they made up for the SSG damage nerf by just pushing monsters as heavy as mancubi back like ten feet.

As for BD, I like the idea and linked it a lot to friends early on, but I want to see the monsters of Hell as dedicated killing organisms, not sympathetic and vulnerable victims that get curbstomped as they crawl around, helpless. Ideally, like The Thing, they would be dangerous until completely obliterated.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Is the pushback something that zdoom doesn't properly emulate? Whenever I'm not playing something exotic like Reelism I use zdoom instead of gzdoom and I've never really thrown my enemies around with my guns. Unless it's just gibs, those do slide around sometimes.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I want to grab Unreal to dick around and play against bots, since a discussion a bit earlier in this thread left me interested. However, I don't know poo poo about patches, mods, mutators and community packs. Could anyone give me a quick pointer or two about where to start/which ones to use? Also, I want "Unreal: GOTY Edition" (UT99) for this, right?

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Geight posted:

Is the pushback something that zdoom doesn't properly emulate? Whenever I'm not playing something exotic like Reelism I use zdoom instead of gzdoom and I've never really thrown my enemies around with my guns. Unless it's just gibs, those do slide around sometimes.

The pushback isn't exactly pronounced in Doom overall, but it's there. I'm horsing around in Coffee Break's E1 in ZDoom and seeing some stuff in the first level. For the best example, hitting a Cyberdemon point blank with a BFG when done right will push it back a considerable distance. In other cases you may only see monsters slide back whatever the equivalent of a foot or so is when they die, like killing a sergeant with a shotgun. It's more visible when using rockets, especially when hammering monsters like barons, which are pretty dense to begin with. http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Mass has more technical information.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Also, I want "Unreal: GOTY Edition" (UT99) for this, right?

Unreal: Gold Edition is NOT Unreal Tournament (UT99), careful now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

VisAbsoluta posted:

I want to grab Unreal to dick around and play against bots, since a discussion a bit earlier in this thread left me interested. However, I don't know poo poo about patches, mods, mutators and community packs. Could anyone give me a quick pointer or two about where to start/which ones to use? Also, I want "Unreal: GOTY Edition" (UT99) for this, right?

I assume you mean Unreal Tournament '99 GOTYE and not simply Unreal (or Unreal GOTYE), both of which have Bot AI.

You might as well get the GOTYE of UT'99, but it's not technically a requirement, since the material that separates UT'99 from the GOTYE is all free. Like the OP says, the GOTYE should come patched to the latest official version (v436), and should have a lot of the bonus material already included as part of the install. Unlike modern games, you'll obviously have to download and install all of the patches and community packs, yourself:

So, excluding the possibility that the GOTYE already comes with the stuff in this list, you'll want the following (all of which can be found at the bottom of this page):
1. At least the latest "official" patch (v436) although there are unofficial patches up to v451b. For singleplayer, the unofficial patches are largely pointless, though. I think they mostly deal with netcode and optimizations.
2. Bonus Packs 1-4 Bonus Packs come with extra player models, mutators, and maps. The first 3 are part of the GOTYE.

For mods, you'll probably want check out two pages on MODDB: The Unreal Tournament '99 MODDB page (which is composed of mods created by the mod authors) and the "Unreal Orphange" MODDB page (which is composed of mods uploaded by third parties, since the development teams are defunct).

I would recommend ChaosUT (if it doesn't come with your copy of the GOTYE), Unreal4Ever (for UT'99, not the original Unreal) and "TallyHo!"

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I assume you mean Unreal Tournament '99 GOTYE and not simply Unreal (or Unreal GOTYE), both of which have Bot AI.

You might as well get the GOTYE of UT'99, but it's not technically a requirement, since the material that separates UT'99 from the GOTYE is all free.

I meant this one: http://store.steampowered.com/app/13240/ which is UT99 GOTYE, right? The one that already comes with the bonus stuff you mentioned and the best for playing with bots and modding?

I'm dumb and those nomenclatures are confusing. :psyduck:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

VisAbsoluta posted:

I meant this one: http://store.steampowered.com/app/13240/ which is UT99 GOTYE, right? The one that already comes with the bonus stuff you mentioned and the best for playing with bots and modding?

I'm dumb and those nomenclatures are confusing. :psyduck:

Yeah. That's Unreal Tournament '99 GOTYE, which is what you want.

The original single player-focused game was called "Unreal"--it had a fairly typical multiplayer component, with the exception of having unusually competent Bot AI. Then the developers realized that they could make a pretty popular multiplayer-focused game based off of the original with a threadbare in-game plot, and they called it "Unreal Tournament". Later, especially after additional Unreal Tournament games were released (2003 and 2004), people began referring to the original UT as "UT'99" because it was released in 1999.

Unreal and UT'99 were both very popular games, and each got its own "GOTY"-style release. They're very different games, however.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tecman posted:

Reposting this from the Steam thread:

Convex posted:

I'm in if you're doing it on Euro time. How many players can you fit in Unreal co-op anyway? Doing Brutal Doom a few years back with about 8 of us was a blast, haven't had that much fun in MP since.

Tecman has me on Steam, but Convex, add me (SteamID is SAGuillermus) as I always have Unreal Gold installed. I love playing Unreal Coop.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Tecman has me on Steam, but Convex, add me (SteamID is SAGuillermus) as I always have Unreal Gold installed. I love playing Unreal Coop.

Will do when I get back home tomorrow. Do I need the unofficial patch as well?

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:
Does one of the unofficial UT'99 patches add 1920x1080 support? I bit on the Steam deal thanks to botmatch memories and I can only go up to 1600x(something) through the menu. Google is showing me some conflicting/weird information on whether it's supposed to support it out of the box or not. EDIT nevermind I installed an updated OpenGL dll and switched to OpenGL rendering, dunno which worked but 1920x1080 is a go

Less of a big deal, but does anyone have experience with UT high res texturepacks? Found one here http://www.uttexture.com/UT/Website/Projects/UTRProject/UTRProject.htm

Did anyone else ever play the Thievery mod for UT? Multiplayer Thief: the Dark Project, man, that was intense and fun.

ExMortis fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 25, 2013

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I successfully installed Infiltration mod for UT99 for the first time recently. It's an amazing TC mod if you're into the whole tactical tryhard thing. Crazy amount of depth to it, especially for a UT99 mod. I could never get it working for the longest time, but I found installing PsyTex makes it work without issue.

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The original single player-focused game was called "Unreal"--it had a fairly typical multiplayer component, with the exception of having unusually competent Bot AI. Then the developers realized that they could make a pretty popular multiplayer-focused game based off of the original with a threadbare in-game plot, and they called it "Unreal Tournament".

I remember buying the first Unreal at release, because it was to graphics in 1998 what games like Crysis or Skyrim are now. Except high powered video cards were still a pretty recent thing, meaning, unlike today, there wasn't much competition, and really spectacular 3D graphics were enough to get people pretty excited. Unreal was the reason a lot of people bought a 3dfx Voodoo2 card or two, since you could SLI them and that was the only way to increase the resolution to the maximum 1024x768 (card-limited). Unreal was also one of the earlier games to advertise compressed textures, which helped it to sell Diamond S3-based cards as well, like the Savage 3D. The moment when you first emerge from your broken ship onto the alien planet and a giant lens flare hits you in the face was considered an impressive departure from the previously limited color palates and often-cramped corridors of shooters like Quake 1/2.

All this graphical prowess, however, plus less than optimized multiplayer code and the fact that almost everyone was still using a 56k dial-up, meant the multiplayer was notoriously laggy out of the box, almost to the point of being unplayable. After the success of Quake 2's multiplayer, people were pretty disappointed with that aspect of the game. It was one of the first things they tried to patch, but it still took a little bit for them to really get it going, and by then the damage had been done. The admittedly good bot AI was only minor compensation for many people on various message boards (these were the days of BluesNews, 3D Gamers, and a still-cool Gamespy). I mean I played it and loved it, lag and all, because eventually there were some great maps and new weapons, but I remember people being pretty down on it for awhile.

So the idea that they were going to make a game based on Unreal which was going to be solely multiplayer and could compete with the venerable Q2 was met with some skepticism, albeit hopefully so. The fact that they pulled it off, and that's subsequently what the franchise became known for, was a pretty great pivot on the developers part in retrospect.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheMammoth posted:

I remember buying the first Unreal at release, because it was to graphics in 1998 what games like Crysis or Skyrim are now.

Yup.

Wait, "and it's coming to N64"? What were Next smoking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Jehde posted:

I successfully installed Infiltration mod for UT99 for the first time recently. It's an amazing TC mod if you're into the whole tactical tryhard thing. Crazy amount of depth to it, especially for a UT99 mod. I could never get it working for the longest time, but I found installing PsyTex makes it work without issue.

Man I used to play this all the time back in college. I got ridiculously good at some weird rear end load outs like the benelli and socom pistol at long range. I like the freeaim scopes with parallax and working aimpoints which many games still don't have right these days. Also it probably has the earliest implementation of adjustable ladder sights on 40mm grenade launchers. Grenades were fun as hell and had shrapnel modelling and you used your left hand to aim. Also the best implementation of weapon collision that doesn't want to make you hurt yourself.

It started to fall apart when they added the SCAR. Way too overpowered and all the vanilla weapons just don't compare anymore. Plus you have the Euro old timers that just know the maps wayyyy too well.

I wish other realistic games would take notes from Infiltration. I know Ground Branch (which failed it's kickstarter) has some Inf coders but it's still way too different in some of the implementation of movement etc.

I wish the ArmA games will eventually incorporate the cqb, grenades, and scopes of infiltration.