Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on which side of the coin you're on) it seems cancelled back orders are not always being re-allocated to others in the queue, so your best bet for getting an 86/BRZ without the wait is to ring around and find one that has turned up at a dealer without a home to go to. Several people across the various AU forums I read have picked up cars within a week or two.

Of course, the downside being you can't afford to be too fussy about colour or spec...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ecstatic posted:

Mate of mine had a deposit down on an 86 in Perth and ended up wanting a BRZ, the dealers were happy to refund his deposit because there was such a demand for the car that they wouldn't have a hard time selling it.

The question I have about the long waiting times, is with the car revisions, if there a few changes to the car in 2013/14 and you have already been waiting a year for it, what do you actually end up getting? Because the car you originally ordered has changed since then.

Pretty sure its a law in Australia that if the terms of a contract change then you can opt out of the contract.

thats what happened when they deleted the full size spare for Aus delivered cars after november builds or something. A whole bunch of people had their contract terms changed (you will no longer be getting the agreed upon items because we are no longer including one) and therefore could get their deposit back with no hassle, and had no obligation to purchase the car.

its a small thing but thats one way it can pan out. if a facelift or turbo model was released I think it would classed as a new car and they'd still build yours as it was ordered.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Not sure if this was posted before but for BRZ owners there's a quick and dirty "fix" for your audio quality. An audiophile used some tools to measure the output and quality of the sound system and then tuned it using the built in EQ in the headunit. If you adjust your settings to look like this:

You should be able to squeeze out more quality from the OEM sound system.

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

DerDestroyer posted:

Not sure if this was posted before but for BRZ owners there's a quick and dirty "fix" for your audio quality. An audiophile used some tools to measure the output and quality of the sound system and then tuned it using the built in EQ in the headunit. If you adjust your settings to look like this:

Huh, interesting. Someone did this before and their EQ settings were pretty different from these. I'm going to give these settings a shot though because there's more bass. :getin:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

DerDestroyer posted:

Awesome. Thank you for posting that... I've now had mine for two weeks and as I've settled in to it I've started to play with the EQ, but was wondering what other's results had been. Will try this config ASAP.

I installed a baby seat in the back of mine yesterday. Maneuvering myself into the back with a seat was a bit of a challenge, but once I got it hooked up I was pretty happy with how it will go in and come out in the future. For any of you folks that are OCD like me, the Recaro ProSport Combination seat in 'Sable' (basically black with red accent) matches the BRZ interior really nicely. My two year old was super excited to take a spin in the new car.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Someone posted the full wiring diagram for the entire car on ft86club so I went back and checked all my speaker wiring. I don't know if any of them were wrong (I just undid and redid all of them without checking) but I did replace my lovely electrical tape connections with some screw caps.

In other news I still love the poo poo out of this car, they thought of the most ridiculous stuff...did you know they give you a Philips head screwdriver in the boot right next to the jack and spare?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

So I just drove to campus and all of a sudden the car started making this noise like I was driving on one of those strips on high ways for tired drivers. It doesn't happen when the car is idle but it makes the same noise all the way through at least 10-45mph. I checked the tires and none of them were flat so I'm not sure were to go from here. I had to run inside to make class but I can check elsewhere in an hour and a half. Any ideas?

The noise is either like someone attached a noisy muffler to the car like a fart cannon or I'm driving on those rumble strip things.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tenchrono posted:

So I just drove to campus and all of a sudden the car started making this noise like I was driving on one of those strips on high ways for tired drivers. It doesn't happen when the car is idle but it makes the same noise all the way through at least 10-45mph. I checked the tires and none of them were flat so I'm not sure were to go from here. I had to run inside to make class but I can check elsewhere in an hour and a half. Any ideas?

The noise is either like someone attached a noisy muffler to the car like a fart cannon or I'm driving on those rumble strip things.

What's the duration for on and off for the rumble/buzz?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

It was continuous from the time I hit about 2k RPM/10mph till I stopped. I shifted it two gears down when it started from 4th to 2nd so I'm not sure if it was a belt or something stuck in a tire and it just got unstuck while I was driving so :iiam:. It's really windy and cold and harsh right now so I couldn't get a full tire inspection after class but nothing seemed out of the ordinary for it.

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!
Okay, got the dreaded CEL+SL combination today with 4043km on the odometer. Going to take the car to Toyota on monday and see what they can tell about it. I've been having somewhat rough idle when the engine is hot for a few hundred kilometers now so I kind of expected this sooner or later. Hopefully they can fix it with just an ECU reflash.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rabble posted:

Someone posted the full wiring diagram for the entire car on ft86club so I went back and checked all my speaker wiring. I don't know if any of them were wrong (I just undid and redid all of them without checking) but I did replace my lovely electrical tape connections with some screw caps.

:stonk:

Dude, you have a new car. Spend the $20 or so to buy a drat crimper and some decent crimps and do it right.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Hold on. If he's intent on climbing the electrical connection pyramid of shame, he's still got "I had to use a lot of solder but it's sticking together now (I think I dripped some in the fusebox)" and "guys, I found these cool quick-connects that cut right through the wires" before he can get crimpin'.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Supposedly new details on official TRD supercharger.

http://www.ft86club.com/?p=2540

quote:

Details are light so far on this TRD supercharger system for the Toyota 86, FR-S, BRZ, but a new photo gives us a good look at the yet-to-be released system.

What is known however, is that it features Eaton TVS rotor technology with a dual intercooler system. This is the first one of its kind and it’s installed on the Ken Stout Racing World Challenge FR-S.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Should we start the pool on price yet? I'm going to say MSRP is 5999.95.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Splizwarf posted:

Hold on. If he's intent on climbing the electrical connection pyramid of shame, he's still got "I had to use a lot of solder but it's sticking together now (I think I dripped some in the fusebox)" and "guys, I found these cool quick-connects that cut right through the wires" before he can get crimpin'.

What's wrong with screw caps?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
They're designed for houses, not cars.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Rabble posted:

What's wrong with screw caps?
Not for constant vibration. Mostly used for stationary wiring. But if you use proper size and add electrical tape, they'll hold up for a really long time.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Or you could use crimps with heat shrink and/or dielectric grease. It's not like it takes longer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

I hope to god that this takes at least a year to make it to market or I am going to be making some terrible financial decisions.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Snowdens Secret posted:

heat shrink... It's not like it takes longer.

You have to buy a soldering iron or heat gun if you don't have one. Or I guess you could not shrink it.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

kimbo305 posted:

You have to buy a soldering iron or heat gun if you don't have one. Or I guess you could not shrink it.

you can do it with a hairdryer or a lighter (as long as it's not in a tight space).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hog Obituary posted:

you can do it with a hairdryer or a lighter (as long as it's not in a tight space).

Like, say, the speaker housing of a car door? (I have no idea how tight the 86 doors are don't shoot me)

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Fucknag posted:

Like, say, the speaker housing of a car door? (I have no idea how tight the 86 doors are don't shoot me)

yeah the lighter isn't the safest idea there, but a hairdryer will sorta work for heat-shrink.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Linux Nazi posted:

I'm gonna go with my gut feeling and say don't expect more than 50 crank horsepower because that's the smallest automotive supercharger I think I've seen.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
They work for now. I don't feel like taking the back seats out of the car again just to rewire when it still works the way it is.

I had the door speakers professionally installed because they needed special brackets made. I know my limitations involve very specific instructions with pictures and ready-made parts. I am no auto mechanic (obviously).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I used scotchlocks when I put my boost gauge in (my non-86 car)

I figure by the time they fail the car wont belong to me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hog Obituary posted:

If Mighty Car Mods has taught me anything, it's that you can solder perfectly well with a lighter, too.

My dad does electrical stuff on cars for a living, I've always had access to his kickass Würth and Berner crimpin' tools and a near-endless supply of quality parts. He'd kill me if I ever soldered anything with a lighter.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Devyl posted:

I'm gonna go with my gut feeling and say don't expect more than 50 crank horsepower because that's the smallest automotive supercharger I think I've seen.

That's all it needs to be honest. More to the point, the torque increase - Ive always thought a light bow supercharger would suit this car perfectly.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

That's all it needs to be honest. More to the point, the torque increase - Ive always thought a light bow supercharger would suit this car perfectly.

Thís. Or a low-pressure turbo like I'm used to from Volvos. Less about overall POWA and more about adding a fat lump of torque at the low end for getting off a line (ie, useful for a DD).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I run a t25 at its max efficiency just because I like the spool time. gently caress having a 2871 and waiting til 5 grand to have a fun car.

Though I guess it'll pop fair quick.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Splizwarf posted:

Thís. Or a low-pressure turbo like I'm used to from Volvos. Less about overall POWA and more about adding a fat lump of torque at the low end for getting off a line (ie, useful for a DD).

That is exactly what I thought when I drove one. It would just liven the car up so nicely.... and also be quite a distinct upgrade for track days as well. Of all the power upgrades, a supercharger would just be so well matched.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
A half-decent gas soldering iron is cheap and will do heatshrink too. Bonus, you get a far more reliable electrical connection than screw caps, scotch locks, twisted wires or other such dodginess

I wouldn't do any electrical work on a car without one!

TRD blower will no doubt be a low boost, low output, high price deal, the payoff being manufacturer warranty ( I presume)

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 25, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

ROFLBOT posted:

A half-decent gas soldering iron is cheap and will do heatshrink too. Bonus, you get a far more reliable electrical connection than screw caps, scotch locks, twisted wires or other such dodginess.

I like these but I have a lot of trouble refilling them because I am clumsy and inept. Does anyone make a model where the refill canister gets locked into place, instead of just being jammed into the bottom of the torch like [sex joke] and spraying all over the place like [another sex joke]?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Mine is an ancient battered and bruised one that unfortunately only refills exactly like that.... If you're lucky you don't get splattered with liquid butane...

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

ROFLBOT posted:

TRD blower will no doubt be a low boost, low output, high price deal, the payoff being manufacturer warranty ( I presume)

Yes, manufacturer warranty is maintained for the car overall, and the blower itself gets something like a 3 year/60k warranty or something. That's been the practice for TRD blowers in the past, so I expect it to be the same in the future.

Oh yeah, I finally got to sit in an FR-S and BRZ this past week at the Autoshow in Toronto. Reminds me of sitting in the Audi TT, only lower down. And it is functionally impossible to use the rear seats as an adult. Tried it once, never again. This is a two-seater with a nice space in the back for storage. Rear seat removal will be the first on my list when I finally get one.

Isizzlehorn fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 27, 2013

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!

Isizzlehorn posted:

And it is functionally impossible to use the rear seats as an adult. Tried it once, never again. This is a two-seater with a nice space in the back for storage. Rear seat removal will be the first on my list when I finally get one.
In Europe, the 2nd gen Honda CRX came with a back seat while the US market versions, I believe, came with just a storage shelf instead. While the 86 is somewhat larger, the rear seat has about as much legroom as on the CRX. They also have an equally uncomfortable headroom, although constantly bashing your head on the 86's headliner is probably a bit more comfortable than suffering the same with the rear hatch and glass of the CRX.

Because the CRX rear seat was basically a flat slab of foam, the only way to sit on it with relative comfort was sideways behind the passenger with the legs up to the driver's side. The center tunnel and recessed seat cushions on the 86 completely foil this strategy by making it much too awkward to even contemplate.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The CR-Z is similar. The Japanese models have a backseat, but the North American ones don't.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Has anyone sat in the backseat of a newer Porsche 911? I'm curious how the Toyobaru compares. I'm 6'1" and I've ridden in the back of an 07? 911 on a handful of occasions. It's not pleasant (you have to lean way forward due to the sloping rear glass) but it's bearable for short jaunts.

Edit: leg room is comically bad as well unless the person in front of you is 5'2".

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 28, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

All this chat reminds me of the time 3 of us went to go look at an AE86 coupe in my buddy's new edge Mustang. He was a big fat bastard, and the short scrawny dude who was looking at the car called shotgun and refused to give it up, so I was forced to squeeze my 6'5" frame into the backseat of that bastard. I was in the fetal position and I still barely fit sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

Has anyone sat in the backseat of a newer Porsche 911? I'm curious how the Toyobaru compares. I'm 6'1" and I've ridden in the back of an 07? 911 on a handful of occasions. It's not pleasant (you have to lean way forward due to the sloping rear glass) but it's bearable for short jaunts.

Edit: leg room is comically bad as well unless the person in front of you is 5'2".

There is no legroom in my FRS.

• Locked thread