Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I haven't done a 1RM in a while since I only do dumbbell bench, but it's probably around 255 or 260 with a straight bar. I just don't ever see myself putting in the effort required to get above 300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

psydude posted:

I haven't done a 1RM in a while since I only do dumbbell bench, but it's probably around 255 or 260 with a straight bar. I just don't ever see myself putting in the effort required to get above 300.

Sounds like an excuse to be a weak rear end bitch.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Veins McGee posted:

Sounds like an excuse to be a weak rear end bitch.

Pretty much.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Getting above 300 on the bench isn't that hard, just takes dedication. Getting to 400, on the other hand, is seeming more and more impossible to me. I'll get there in a few years, but I feel like no matter how much I mix up my training I can't really break through the 300's the way I did 250-315ish.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ya if you wanna get a bigger chest, go talk to some bodybuilders. Powerlifting isn't very ideal for getting sick pecs.

Anyhow, here's the spreadsheet. Fill in your 1RM then add 10lb to squat/DL, 5lb to bench/OHP every month when done with the month. Every 2-3 months or so, I'll go for new 1RM's for an update. All weights to the right are from your 90% est 1RM. For accessory work, I do poo poo that is tailored to the lift like deadlift will be 5x5 of bent over rows, shrugs, or wide grip pull ups but before those a 3-5x5 at 60% of my est 1RM for volume. Or you could do whatever for the weights. Pick something that isn't going to smoke you for 3 to 5 sets of 5 reps For the actual working sets, I'll do the sets x reps listed and maybe do a few more at a higher weight if I feel good that day.

The spreadsheet itself is like 90% good with how the numbers are generated, but feel free to add 5-10lb where you see fit for the sets. Sets in the 3-5 range work best for me so that's why this sheet is the way it is. Staggered days help to be really fresh for heavy lifting days.

http://rapidshare.com/files/1745847199/working%20routine.xls

For a more exact version of what I'm doing, go read Jamie Lewis' e-book. http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2012/09/destroy-opposition.html?zx=3212609a0675afc0

Could you re-upload the spreadsheet? I get this error: Download permission denied by uploader. (0b67c2f5)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Could you re-upload the spreadsheet? I get this error: Download permission denied by uploader. (0b67c2f5)

Pm me your email.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It was really loving cool that all the crossfit people were loading up multiple barbells at the base hangar/gym today thereby sucking up every free plate. I had to resort to swiping the ones I needed from some of their barbells that sat unused in between sets. Bunch of assholes.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
gently caress everyone that does crossfit. All the trainers at my gym teach people crossfit, but when they're actually working out they do traditional strength training + cardio. Says a lot about crossfit. Also it's always great when two assholes are taking up a squat rack an incline bench and a flat bench because CROSSFIT!!!!

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

vacation in kabul posted:

gently caress everyone that does crossfit. All the trainers at my gym teach people crossfit, but when they're actually working out they do traditional strength training + cardio. Says a lot about crossfit. Also it's always great when two assholes are taking up a squat rack an incline bench and a flat bench because CROSSFIT!!!!

I never thought I'd agree with you, but this. This entire thing. Crossfit CAN be okay. If you have the equipment. Don't do loving crossfit in a public gym. I can't do my military press in the powercage if you're trying to crossfit in that, fuckers.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I actually complained to the owner of the gym I go to (it's a very small gym, I pay 20 bucks a month) about how the trainers hog all of the equipment for all the fatasses and soccer moms that come in to do crossfit, he said it's unfortunate but they make bank off of their personal trainers and no one ever comes in asking about anything BUT crossfit these days. I really don't understand the rationale at all, when I look around the gym the dudes that are either huge or cut or whatever aren't ever doing that stupid rear end bullshit. I did the WOD for like a week and a half in Iraq and then tried to do a crossfit program with a SGM who "learned it at a Ranger Batt" for a while and I don't think it helped me advance in my lifts or anything and I probably hurt myself once or twice. I would seriously love to know where its appeal lies outside of being a fad.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I actually complained to the owner of the gym I go to (it's a very small gym, I pay 20 bucks a month) about how the trainers hog all of the equipment for all the fatasses and soccer moms that come in to do crossfit, he said it's unfortunate but they make bank off of their personal trainers and no one ever comes in asking about anything BUT crossfit these days. I really don't understand the rationale at all, when I look around the gym the dudes that are either huge or cut or whatever aren't ever doing that stupid rear end bullshit. I did the WOD for like a week and a half in Iraq and then tried to do a crossfit program with a SGM who "learned it at a Ranger Batt" for a while and I don't think it helped me advance in my lifts or anything and I probably hurt myself once or twice. I would seriously love to know where its appeal lies outside of being a fad.

Probably because you go with some of your friends, do oly/powerlifting poo poo for 40 minutes a few times, a week and feel like you did something. In reality, you're just a loving tool who sucks up weights, barbells, space, and is a general loving annoyance to anyone who's trying to get poo poo done before heading to work or home.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I also meant to ask before I started bitching about crossfit again, anyone know why my forearms hurt like a motherfucker after barbell curls? It used to be an occasional thing but now it's all the goddamn time, even when I haven't done any barbell curls for like a month or two it still hurts. I don't mind exclusively using dumbbells, but why don't my forearms hurt on any compound lifts or anything?

Probably because you go with some of your friends, do oly/powerlifting poo poo for 40 minutes a few times, a week and feel like you did something. In reality, you're just a loving tool who sucks up weights, barbells, space, and is a general loving annoyance to anyone who's trying to get poo poo done before heading to work or home.

I really think that's my main beef with it. What the hell is stopping them from focusing on one lift at a time? Do you seriously need to rotate between incline presses and dumbbell curls every single set?

vains
May 26, 2004

This may sound crazy, and I don't really understand it either, but some people don't want to get big or really strong. They're more interested in 'functional strength'. I don't really know what functional strength is, or how it differs from being regular strong, but it sounds useful.

Really, I think the appeal is something like this. Its a way for novices to get into the gym without being intimidated/scared off by giant dudes. They think that getting big or getting strong is out of their reach because of genetics or a refusal to use steroids. Their suspicions are confirmed when they don't look like Ryan Gosling after a few months of lifting. Instead, Crossfit emphasizes relatively shorter term fitness goals(do xxxx benchmark workout in X:XX time with YY weight). Once you get that, you can scale up the weight or shoot for a better time or whatever. Whereas, traditional body building/powerlifting is binary: you're strong/big, or you're not. In addition, Crossfit seems less technical to the novice. You do the workout of the day at your crossfit gym and go home. You don't have to think about what lifts you need to do or worry about eating enough brotein and calories.

Also, its a really big fad.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
^^^^^^

I wouldn't say it's less technical. They're doing oly/powerlifting where technique is the name of the game. If anything, many of them should be paying more attention to their form instead of what their time is in Helen or whatever.

Functional strength is a buzz word much the way paleo is or wearing deadlifting socks when pulling 150lb for you is a real kick in the balls. One could say "strength" or "healthy eating" but when you dance them up in fancy terms, it makes it seem like it's new and super important.

My ability to pick up several hundred pounds of weight off the floor is no different than the way a CFer applies that strength. I know a few of them who've said they see it as a means to survive if the world collapses. Yea.

You're right, Veins, it's a loving fad.

vains
May 26, 2004

^^^^^^

I wouldn't say it's less technical. They're doing oly/powerlifting where technique is the name of the game. If anything, many of them should be paying more attention to their form instead of what their time is in Helen or whatever.

Since the emphasis isn't on getting massively swole/strong, some of the technical aspects of lifting are removed. You no longer have to worry about setting up a routine or a diet. You just have to do the workout. Its simple. Like you said, you still have to know how to do a lift but you don't have to worry about dietary macros or supplements, etc.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

Since the emphasis isn't on getting massively swole/strong, some of the technical aspects of lifting are removed. You no longer have to worry about setting up a routine or a diet. You just have to do the workout. Its simple. Like you said, you still have to know how to do a lift but you don't have to worry about dietary macros or supplements, etc.

That, to me, seems like a waste of time then. So what is the point of lifting a weight if you don't intend on understanding how to diet at least on a basic level or even understand why you do a lift? There's a lot of, "I see strong dudes take protein shakes, so I'm gonna take a protein shake after kipping because that = strong."

Like I'm happy to see more people out lifting and stuff and especially doing oly stuff which is really cool but there is a huge gulf of knowledge missing that many of them don't seem to give a poo poo about but hey they eat Paleo so cool.

I don't mean to be super mad about this stuff. I had a super lovely experience lifting at their l'il base hangout but did get to watch a very pregnant woman slam a barbell repeatedly into her belly. I sure hope that baby knows that its host is a massive oval office for doing that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There's 2 squat racks in the gym I go to. For the past 3 weeks, every time I've gone in on legs day both of those squat racks were taken by people who were doing exercises that did not require a squat rack.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

These are relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKp7fBtj81c

quote:

with a SGM who "learned it at a Ranger Batt" for a while and I don't think it helped me advance in my lifts or anything and I probably hurt myself once or twice.

This is the biggest problem I have with crossfit as it relates to the military. You get a bunch of morons together who don't actually understand fitness but know THAT THEY GET TOTALLY SMOKED AT THE END OF THESE HARDCORE WORKOUTS and then complete gently caress themselves up and the poor saps they lead and then when you're like 'boy that was completely preventable you're just a loving idiot' they get butthurt about it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I really need to learn more about weight lifting. Pretty much my workout that isn't running sucks and consists of sets of diamond push-ups, rowers, pull-ups, various plank holds along with a few random dumbbell excercises. I don't care about being swole, my only interest is overall fitness (strength, injury prevention, not being fat) and doing better on the APFT.

Also for HIIT, how do you gauge effectiveness? I use a HRM and my HR during fast intervals is > 175, sometimes up to 190ish which is above 85% for my age. Since it's cold and icy outside I've been setting the treadmill to 10% incline and running at 8-9 mph (which is the equivalent of running a much faster pace on level ground, 5-6 minute mile AFAIK) for 30 seconds and walking for 1 minute. After the first 3 repetitions I'm feeling pretty lovely.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

DoktorLoken posted:

I really need to learn more about weight lifting. Pretty much my workout that isn't running sucks and consists of sets of diamond push-ups, rowers, pull-ups, various plank holds along with a few random dumbbell excercises. I don't care about being swole, my only interest is overall fitness (strength, injury prevention, not being fat) and doing better on the APFT.

Also for HIIT, how do you gauge effectiveness? I use a HRM and my HR during fast intervals is > 175, sometimes up to 190ish which is above 85% for my age. Since it's cold and icy outside I've been setting the treadmill to 10% incline and running at 8-9 mph (which is the equivalent of running a much faster pace on level ground, 5-6 minute mile AFAIK) for 30 seconds and walking for 1 minute. After the first 3 repetitions I'm feeling pretty lovely.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DoktorLoken posted:

"Getting swole" will literally take you years and depending on your body type might not ever happen without some extreme measures being taken, it has absolutely nothing to do with strength training or overall fitness levels. I don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but it always blows me away when people say that sort of thing. It's like opening a science textbook and saying "I don't care about being the next Albert Einstein". It's not going to happen to you without a lot of work.

Basically all of the exercises you named aren't even worth your time. Since it sounds like you don't have the first clue about what you're doing I would highly recommend finding someone to help you with form before doing any of what I'm about to suggest.

1) For increasing your push-ups there's really only one exercise you need: the bench press. Not just flat barbell either, mix in flat dumbbell presses, incline barbell/dumbbell presses, and decline barbell/dumbbell presses. I'd personally reccomend 3-5 sets of 5-10 repetitions and mix up your sets/reps every few weeks and make sure you're wearing those muscles groups out every time you're in the gym. Whether it's a barbell or dumbbell press they are working the muscles that you use during a push-up. I didn't do a single push-up as PT for a calender year in Iraq and I was knocking over 100 pushups long before I hit two minutes on our PT tests. When we got back to the States and I started doing pushups for PT again I actually got way worse so I'd quit doing those gay-rear end diamond pushups in your free time.

Along with this you should also be looking at triceps extensions, flys, dips, and tricep pulldowns at a minimum. Dips work your chest and your triceps and are a great supplement to bench presses. Flys are excellent for your chest muscles and will contribute greatly to push-up success. Tri extensions and tri pulldowns will be a big aid when it comes to bench pressing and thus a great aid to your push-ups. You should also do military presses, shoulder presses, front raises, and lateral raises. These will all help our your shoulder muscles and triceps which will help your bench and help your push-ups.

2) Squats and leg presses and calf raises. Same number of sets/reps as the bench press, except calf raises which you might as well just do until you fail. You have no idea how slow you are right now because of your pussy weak rear end legs. You're leaving precious minutes and seconds on your run by failing to work these out. You should also just go ahead and use all of the leg workout machines at the gym because hey, they're there already and it's not like you have anything better to do.

3) If you're going to do 1) make sure you do this step too. You need to work out your biceps/back because having an imbalance between your major pulling/pushing muscles groups can actually lead to injury. Do low rows, curls (all varieties), lawnmowers (google it if you don't know), keep doing your pull-ups, do chin-ups, lat pulldowns, and of course some more curls.

I don't know how to increase situps because they're gay, but if you hit all the leg workout machines at the gym they should help you build whatever those stupid muscles are situps workout. You should be able to accomplish all of this in about 4 hours a week after you know what you're doing.

edit: Or do that thing Christoff posted, looks like a basic HS football strength training program (which isn't a bad thing).

edit 2: And before anyone says what I posted is stupid or something, just keep in my mind there are a ton of opinions about what's best for lifting. I mix in 5x5's on all of the big-time strength exercises (deadlift, squat, bench, etc.) with 3-5 sets and 5-10 reps on the exercises that are less compound and more isolation. The only thing that's important is that you can't lift any more weight at your established levels after X amount of time exercising. If you leave totally defeated after adding more weight (even a little bit) you're doing it right and making progress.

vacation in kabul fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 25, 2013

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've done the stripped 5x5 program that was popular in W&W back in the day which was dead lifts, squats, bent over rows, pull-ups, military press and bench press so I'm generally comfortable with those movements, although gently caress squats forever. I understand the point behind compound lifts but all the strange isolation exercises I see people do, I don't know what the gently caress.

Unfortunately my school's gym is cramped and only has one power cage and a few Smith machines which I've always been told are worthless for squats. Plenty of benches for everything else though.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Leg presses work pretty well in place of squats. If you work your legs for a while you'll drop a good amount of time off of your 2 mile. In terms of the PT test how many situps/pushups are you doing and what's your run time?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Around 50 SU/PU and 14:40-15:30 seems to be an average run for me. Although I am in the 27-31 age group. Mediocre.

I dunno about sit-ups (which is why I've been using the rower because it isolates abs, one would think hip flexors are worked out from cycling/running) but my push-up endurance is terrible. Honestly, I think my form hurts me there because I go chest to floor on every rep when I don't have to.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 25, 2013

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I do bench presses and then every once in a while I just do a non-stop set of 50 push-ups; I usually max out around 84, so bench presses are the way to go...sit-ups come naturally to me, but I usually just do leg raises.

The run on the other hand...

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

yeah smith machines are totally worthless. for like everything.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

edit: Or do that thing Christoff posted, looks like a basic HS football strength training program (which isn't a bad thing).

It's called "Starting Strength" and is probably one of the most popular (well known but not like crossfit) introductory lifting programs. It provides a great foundation for whatever your goals are and teaches you the fundamentals and basics of achieving results and proper technique.

There's a popular "modified" version that's floating around. Pretty sure there's a thread about it in the fitness forum.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have an APFT coming up in 3 weeks, but I've been all :effort: about training for it aside from increasing the amount of running I do and throwing in a few sets of pushups here and there. I'll probably wind up doing about the same as I always do, anyway

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Christoff posted:

It's called "Starting Strength" and is probably one of the most popular (well known but not like crossfit) introductory lifting programs. It provides a great foundation for whatever your goals are and teaches you the fundamentals and basics of achieving results and proper technique.

There's a popular "modified" version that's floating around. Pretty sure there's a thread about it in the fitness forum.

The modified one that was popular on W&W/YLLS a while back is the "Stripped 5x5" workout. It shuffles the workouts around (A: deadlift/row/shoudler press, B: squat/bench press/pull up) and uses rows instead of power cleans.

[edit] Or maybe it was this one.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 25, 2013

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
It's blizzarding out so I went running wearing the Marines shirt I got from one of those recruiting mailings. I'm not sure if I'm trying too hard.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Red Crown posted:

It's blizzarding out so I went running wearing the Marines shirt I got from one of those recruiting mailings. I'm not sure if I'm trying too hard.

You are a cancer.

I love rock climbing so much, but I wish my fingers weren't such cry babby bitches about it. Hopefully they man up soon. I also started hitting the heavy bag after my runs because I'm an angry person, but I feel stupid because I don't really know what I'm doing.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Red Crown posted:

I wore my Winter PT uniform with gloves, green fleece cap, and reflective belt while running four miles around my neighborhood this morning. I feel like a rebel for wearing a different T-Shirt underneath my jacket though.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Alright, so I enlisted in the Army and will be shipping out to BCT in five weeks. I've been doing a running/body weight routine for a while, but I just received a free pass to a nearby gym for the remainder of my time here. I know five weeks isn't much time, but I'm tempted to hit the gym and do something like Starting Strength or the Stripped 5x5 just for a few weeks because I miss moving heavy things. Should I stick with body weight stuff since that's what I'm going to be doing in BCT or should I start moving some barbells?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
If you're new to it, I'd stick with the bodyweight poo poo. Five weeks is cutting it close where injuries are concerned and you wouldn't see many gains/retain those gains in that period.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Pushups, situps, and running are the best things you can do. Stick with bodyweight stuff.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Just got back from Laos and managed to get into amazing shape over there.

That was the gym my team and I had to work with for about 35 days.

Did a body builder routine while I was over there and managed to cut up pretty good. Only problem is I did not do any cardio (in the last 4-5 months I ran twice. Maybe?) because I hate it with a passion and worried about my upcoming PT test this Thursday. While I know I won't fail I know I'm going to barely pass due to not knowing my pace, the lack of cardio in Laos (My only form of cardio was the fact I took 30second breaks between each rep and exercises and about 2 hours of actual digging a day in the 90+ degree temperature in dry season in Laos.) Hopefully I don't embarrass myself too much.

I think I'm going to do the same work out after this PT test. Trying to just look extremely ripped and cut up so lots of isolation, moderate weight and high reps. Adding some cardio into my routine so I won't have to freak out every time a PT test happens. Thinking about doing cardio twice a week and just do 400 to 600 meter sprints 8 to 12 times on the track and calling it a day.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Kaliber posted:

I hate it with a passion

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Unfortunately, the only way to get better at cardio is to do cardio. Maybe work in like one long run per week just to get the endurance factor down, too.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Very true. I was gonna do a 4 or so mile run this morning for that reason but freezing rain and a couple inches of slush-water on the road changed my mind. Just ran to the gym with my new PL and pumped iron instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So I started stripped 5x5 yesterday. Any suggestions on iPhone apps for keeping track of lifts?

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 28, 2013