Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah I should sometime. Shouldn't be too hard provided you have AGSU installed.

Also I tinkered with that new ENB thing:

Some Django poo poo with this 1858 New Army :ocelot:

Still need to iron out the bugs. It breaks the Nevada Skies skies which suuuucks, plus strange transparencies and halos around stuff. But it's five in the drat morning so lol gently caress it :downs:

Where are these outfits and the Old West guns from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Raygereio posted:

Each projectile has a specific range beyond which the game removes it if it hasn't hit anything. In practice though, those ranges are so long it depends more on your view distance settings and the weapon's accuracy.
You can grab a sniper rifle, zoom in and spot a campsite miles away. But if your settings don't show any actors that far away, you can't hit anything and you're essentially beyond that rifle's effective range.
Same with accuracy: You can grab an really accurate weapon like the brush gun and plink away at a targat a good distance away. But try to do the same with a weapon like the assault carbine that doesn't know the definition of accurate and you'll be lucky if one bullet out of a thousand will hit them.

That's pretty much what I remembered, just making sure. Thanks.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well I figured out why I'm crashing. I hit the ram cap of my graphics card, and the game locks up. (1GB)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I use 4 gb loader, Freeside/Strip open, Je Sawyer and the Weapon retextures. I'd say every one of those mods is essential. There is the odd single stutter in Freeside, but aside from that it's buttery smooth on a fairly new machine.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Anyone have a recommendation for a Caesar's Legion companion? I'm doing my melee based legion run through and I'd like a companion who won't complain when I murder everyone in Forlorn Hope.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Commissar Of Doom posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a Caesar's Legion companion? I'm doing my melee based legion run through and I'd like a companion who won't complain when I murder everyone in Forlorn Hope.

Uylsses, I think.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

ED-E and Rex won't give a drat. Lily won't/can't care less. Raul probably won't. Veronica I'm not sure about.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Oh sorry I was actually I was asking for a recommendation for a Legion companion to download from the nexus... there was one in Caesar's New Regime that looked interesting but I can't find a standalone version.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Oh sorry I was actually I was asking for a recommendation for a Legion companion to download from the nexus... there was one in Caesar's New Regime that looked interesting but I can't find a standalone version.

Ulysses.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

As a slightly more detailed answer, there's now a mod that allows you to have Ulysses as a companion, I believe it's in the OP.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does anyone know how the Pew-Pew fires it's second shot? There's a script file (with a developer noting an issue with it consuming two charges even if there's only one in the gun itself) but it doesn't appear to actually be linked to the gun or projectile (it has zero users according to the GECK). I remember I was stumped by the gun last time I went GECK digging, but don't remember if I ever figured it out.

Did anyone from the Armory try using a similar trick to make burst fire weapons? (The script checks for an attacking animation to trigger the second shot).

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Does anyone know how the Pew-Pew fires it's second shot?
Could you clarify what you mean? The pew-pew doesn't have burst fire in vanilla, it just fires one shot when you pull the trigger.
The only thing that I could find that's odd about it, is that the last shot fired from a full clip doesn't have the yellow muzzleflash'esque burst of light around the laser beam. No real clue why that is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Raygereio posted:

Could you clarify what you mean? The pew-pew doesn't have burst fire in vanilla, it just fires one shot when you pull the trigger.
The only thing that I could find that's odd about it, is that the last shot fired from a full clip doesn't have the yellow muzzleflash'esque burst of light around the laser beam. No real clue why that is.

Hmmm. I must have been unwittingly playing with a mod that added that functionality before because you're right it doesn't fire twice.

I think the issue mentioned in the script note could be fairly easily solved with the use of one or two NVSE functions. Kind of hard to believe Obsidian were so hamstrung scripting wise, and they did add some functions to the FO3 base themselves.

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

Giggily posted:

Can anyone else who's using ENB tell me if this is normal?

At 7:59 PM my game looks like this.

And then at 8:00 PM the sun vanishes, along with the shadows.

If I turn ENB off the sun is still visible, but with ENB on it's just not there. If this is a problem that can be fixed I'd like to know, but it just might be a quirk with ENB.

Bro, would you mind hosting your ENB settings somewhere for download?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

The Sweetling posted:

Bro, would you mind hosting your ENB settings somewhere for download?

He did a loooong time ago:

Giggily posted:

I'm using frankenstein ENB files, a modified version of Nevada Skies, Vurt's Wasteland Flora Overhaul, NMC/Poco Bueno textures, Mojave Nights, Interior Lighting Overhaul, and a few .ini tweaks to make the grass denser. I'm probably forgetting something on that list, but whatever.

With just regular Nevada Skies/Interior Lighting Overhaul your game should look pretty similar if you use these ENB files. http://filesmelt.com/dl/ENB_stuff1.7z

e: Woops, uploaded a hosed up enbseries.ini. Reuploaded everything with one that I remembered to save.

I'm actually going to install that stuff myself now. :buddy:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I've actually done some more tweaking since then, and also made two different versions of a patch for Nevada Skies. They should both murder FPS.

This is what noon should look like in both versions of the NSkies patch.

Here's evening in the patch where I didn't edit the sunsets.

And here is night. It has a slightly blue tint.

This is what evening looks like in the version where I edited sunsets. Night for this one should still be black.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/ENBStuff+NevadaSkiesPatches.7z

Also maybe someday I'll figure out how to get it looking like this without loving bloom up. :buddy:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Rinkles posted:

Did anyone from the Armory try using a similar trick to make burst fire weapons? (The script checks for an attacking animation to trigger the second shot).

We don't really bother because there's a mod called Selective Fire that supports all modded weapons and I believe more or less works properly for the weapons in the pack.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Giggily posted:

I've actually done some more tweaking since then, and also made two different versions of a patch for Nevada Skies. They should both murder FPS.

And how! I used your previous uploaded settings. I was using MillENB (yay, goon files!) with a smooth 60 FPS. I was thinking "You know, hardcore ENBs murder my Skyrim game, as The Wilds drops my FPS to 20; I bet Giggily's ENB settings will run well!"

You dropped my fps to 30, you monster (which is still totally playable, but drat)!

How, exactly, did you modify Nevada Skies? I've been tweaking the settings from your previous upload and have it to almost where I want it, but your new pictures look like they'd be a much closer approximation to what I'd like.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Synastren posted:

And how! I used your previous uploaded settings. I was using MillENB (yay, goon files!) with a smooth 60 FPS. I was thinking "You know, hardcore ENBs murder my Skyrim game, as The Wilds drops my FPS to 20; I bet Giggily's ENB settings will run well!"

You dropped my fps to 30, you monster (which is still totally playable, but drat)!

How, exactly, did you modify Nevada Skies? I've been tweaking the settings from your previous upload and have it to almost where I want it, but your new pictures look like they'd be a much closer approximation to what I'd like.

The FPS killing is being dona via the enbbloom/enbprepass.fx files. You should be able to switch them out (or delete them) and still have the game look more or less the same.

Also, I've just been editing Nevada Skies in the Cration Kit. Load up the .esms and .esps you want (since I used NSkies URWL, I just used FalloutNV.esm and NSkies URWLified.esm), don't set an active file.

Once your in the GECK go to the World tab at the top then Climates. On the left side are a list of all the different climates. Nevada Skies uses NVDefaultClimate, NVLegateCampClimate, NVLucky38Climate, NVtheStripClimate, and NVUrbanClearClimate. The far right box shows what Weather Types each climate includes. You can also edit the Sunrise/Sunset times from this window.

If you go back to World and open up the Weather menu. The left side box has a list of all of the different weather presets in the game. These coincide with the Weather Types from the Climate window, so you can see what all Nevada Skies/whatever uses. Clicking on one of the IDs will let you edit its variables. I've mostly used this to edit colors.

There are two boxes under the Choose Color section, Type and Time. Type is what kind of color/lighting you are editing. Ambient controls the ambient lighting of the terrain. My plugin mostly switches the Red and Blue values for the Ambient settings. The Time box sets the time of day you're editing, i.e. Ambient High Noon is a different setting than Ambient Day. That's really all you want to edit, but you have to go through the motion for every time of day for every single ID.

The Horizon/Sky-Upper/Sky-Lower settings control the actual color of the skies. That's how I was able to mod the game to make the sky orange during sunsets.

You can also mess with Sunlight/Sun, which I believe controls the sun's corona and the actual shade of the sun itself. I haven't done this much.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Holy poo poo :stare:

sean10mm posted:

Where are these outfits and the Old West guns from?

The first revolver and lever action rifle are the vanilla .357 revolver and cowboy repeater. The 1858 revolver is from New Vegas Bounties I.

The outfit though, I'm not entirely sure where I got it. I think it's from a DesertScorpion pack, but I've edited it off and on.

E:

Giggily: Does your Nevada Skies still have the thermo-hydrograph gizmo for changing weather on the fly? Version 7 says it was removed, and the apparent ~*spoooky*~ sounds I heard about a while back have kept me from upgrading.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 24, 2013

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Whoa, what mod adds all the grass and vegetation?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Capn Beeb posted:

Giggily: Does your Nevada Skies still have the thermo-hydrograph gizmo for changing weather on the fly? Version 7 says it was removed, and the apparent ~*spoooky*~ sounds I heard about a while back have kept me from upgrading.

e: Woops, my mistake, I guess I do actually use version 7 of NSkies URWLified. I actually got around to digging through my downloaded mod folder. It comes with a weather control menu, though, just a different one.

Arrath posted:

Whoa, what mod adds all the grass and vegetation?

Midhras posted:

With the lack of shadows on the ground, it's a good idea to have as much grass around as your computer can handle. Try tweaking your Fallout.ini to contain the following lines under the [Grass] section: iMinGrassSize=10 (or higher if too performance heavy, or when using 'Their World'); GrassPointLighting=1; bDrawShaderGrass=1; iGrassDensityEvalSize=2; iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=4.

I also use dead wasteland version of Vurt's overhaul. http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/39856

As you can see here, though, some of the trees get pretty blocky when you're far away.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 24, 2013

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

The "2spooky" sounds were from Project Reality, not Nevada Skies. And boy howdy, they were dumb as poo poo.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's somewhat ironic that a mod called "Project Reality" decided the best course of action was to fill the worldspace with haunted audio clips. Walk over to the roller coaster in Primm? Hear the sounds of a roller coaster that's been destroyed for centuries. Step into an abandoned school or playground? Hear children that have been dead for years.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Project Reality is a pretty solid mod, otherwise, but that decision really typified the whole, "I've got to keep expanding my mod or nobody will like me!" logic.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Alouicious posted:

The "2spooky" sounds were from Project Reality, not Nevada Skies. And boy howdy, they were dumb as poo poo.

Oh welp :downs:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's somewhat ironic that a mod called "Project Reality" decided the best course of action was to fill the worldspace with haunted audio clips. Walk over to the roller coaster in Primm? Hear the sounds of a roller coaster that's been destroyed for centuries. Step into an abandoned school or playground? Hear children that have been dead for years.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Project Reality is a pretty solid mod, otherwise, but that decision really typified the whole, "I've got to keep expanding my mod or nobody will like me!" logic.

Is that why it runs so poorly? I originally just switched to Nevada Skies from Project Reality just because I thought the rain effect was really bad and couldn't figure out how to turn it off, which really broke the camel's back considering that it inexplicably lagged.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Project Reality took me from 60 FPS to 30 instantly, so it was gone from my list before I could hear any of that but drat, that sounds really stupid.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Not to mention the inexplicable ear-piercing scream that randomly happens when you load an exterior cell. That was always fun to have pop up.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there some mod that can keep track of some statistics as you progress through the game? I'd love a data dump of my player's level, SPECIAL, skills, inventory, and other miscellaneous things whenever a quest reaches a checkpoint.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

CJacobs posted:

So I'm trying this ENB thingamajig wrapper as my first foray into modding the game's graphics, and it looks awesome and works flawlessly...

Except that I can see directly through my hand and gun for some reason. Turning the whole ENB wrapper off ingame solidifies the gun (the hand stays a little transparent), and I'm offhandedly assuming it's a thing with the SSAO, but I have no idea how to fix it. Is this something I'm just going to have to deal with?

So, a fix for this just got released!

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/49420

To make it work with New Vegas, just open up the esp in FNVEdit and change the master file to FalloutNV.esm instead of Fallout3.esm.

edit: Edited the link to the New Vegas version which got uploaded.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 25, 2013

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Giggily posted:

I also use dead wasteland version of Vurt's overhaul. http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/39856

As you can see here, though, some of the trees get pretty blocky when you're far away.

Thanks!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Fereydun posted:

So, a fix for this just got released!

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/18716

To make it work with New Vegas, just open up the esp in FNVEdit and change the master file to FalloutNV.esm instead of Fallout3.esm.

How do I change the master? The .esp isn't listed and FNVEdit shouts at me for the missing master.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Capn Beeb posted:

How do I change the master? The .esp isn't listed and FNVEdit shouts at me for the missing master.
Copy any random .esp and rename the copy to Fallout.esm. Arrange your loadorder so that the dummy .esm is loaded before the mod you want to to edit.
After FNVEdit is done loading, under File Header replace Fallout3.esm with FalloutNV.esm.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Raygereio posted:

Copy any random .esp and rename the copy to Fallout.esm. Arrange your loadorder so that the dummy .esm is loaded before the mod you want to to edit.
After FNVEdit is done loading, under File Header replace Fallout3.esm with FalloutNV.esm.

Or just use TESsnip in FOMM.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Raygereio posted:

That got it, thanks. Also thanks to Fereydun for posting that link, no more transparency :toot:

libersyber
Jan 15, 2009
I'm having trouble running the fnv4gb patch and/or the nvse script extender. I bought and installed the game through steam, downloaded fnv4gb_nvse and nvse separately. I copied the 5 nvse dll's and one exe to the root game directory. I unpacked fnv4gb to a different directory, found out my steam game id (fallout new vegas ultimate edition - 22490) and passed it as command line paramter to fnv4gb.exe (using both a shortcut and command line). In the end, when I start the game using fnv4gb.exe, I get a steam error message box saying "Application load error 3:00000653432". If I start the game using nvse, either by starting it from FOMM or running the nvse_loader.exe from the game directory I the same alert with a different message: "Application load error 5:0000065434". The vanilla game works fine, either started through steam or FOMM. Has anybody ever encountered anything similar?

I'm running windows 8 64 bit.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

libersyber posted:

Pretty sure that's your problem right there. IIRC, one or both of those don't work properly with Windows 8.

libersyber
Jan 15, 2009
Googled around and it looks like the skidrow crack solves the problem. Even though I have downloaded the game through steam.

edit: Has any of you successfully ran ENB in the injector version combined with the 4gb launcher? I am able to run it without the 4gb launcer, but if I use it ENB isn't loaded at all. The wrapper version doesn't work for me, the game crashes immediately after starting.

libersyber fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 25, 2013

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

libersyber posted:

edit: Has any of you successfully ran ENB in the injector version combined with the 4gb launcher? I am able to run it without the 4gb launcer, but if I use it ENB isn't loaded at all. The wrapper version doesn't work for me, the game crashes immediately after starting.

It took a lot of trial end error to get ENB working alongside the 4GB launcher. Make sure you've disabled AA and AF in the game settings. Disable any weather, depth of field or visual mods. I also use an older version of the launcher, which may or may not make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

libersyber posted:

I'm having trouble running the fnv4gb patch and/or the nvse script extender. I bought and installed the game through steam, downloaded fnv4gb_nvse and nvse separately. I copied the 5 nvse dll's and one exe to the root game directory. I unpacked fnv4gb to a different directory, found out my steam game id (fallout new vegas ultimate edition - 22490) and passed it as command line paramter to fnv4gb.exe (using both a shortcut and command line). In the end, when I start the game using fnv4gb.exe, I get a steam error message box saying "Application load error 3:00000653432". If I start the game using nvse, either by starting it from FOMM or running the nvse_loader.exe from the game directory I the same alert with a different message: "Application load error 5:0000065434". The vanilla game works fine, either started through steam or FOMM. Has anybody ever encountered anything similar?

Try using this version. That one worked for me on Windows 8.