Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I made another PbP game of Dungeon Petz, thanks to the success of the first thread. Check it out if are interested in trying it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Pelvidar posted:

...Stefan Feld game... (releasing soon: Brugge)...

A game about the place I live? It better be good, because I'm buying it.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I've been playing with a regular group of pretty hardcore players since September and want to give some general impressions on the games we've been playing (a pretty broad selection!)

Risk: Legacy (14 games, 4 and 5 pl) - The game that started our merry band. The permanently altered board is a mechanic that we definitely would like to see in future games. It's still ultimately Risk, so there have been more than a few WTF moments, and people haven't banded together enough to prevent one player being the runaway winner in the long term campaign, so his big pile of nukes has only gotten bigger. Once we hit game 15, I can't imagine the game will get dusted off much more except for the odd quick nostalgia trip to revisit the board, but it's easily kept us playing enough to reach game 15. There's literally nothing else like it, so this is easy to recommend.

Game of Thrones 2nd Ed. (3 games, 5, 6 pl)

Despite the length and the occasionally static nature of the game due to the randomness of the Westeros deck, this game really evokes its theme ridiculously well. The combat mechanics force a very considered approach to war, with negotiation an absolute essential element of any offensive. We love the intrigue caused by the influence bidding. It's probably not the most balanced or dynamic game in terms of how the board plays out, but it is one of the most tense and since our group enjoys cloak and dagger gameplay, it is one that will get a lot more play. I think it would be better with a broader map that allowed more fronts and maneuvering.

Power Grid Core (3 games, 4 and 5 pl)

I honestly didn't like this much at all first time through, but it definitely has shone after repeated play. There are a ridiculous number of economic permutations to ponder and strategic considerations to make each turn. Very aggressive game, but in a way that rewards out-of-the-square thinking. Plays relatively swiftly with a large group and is deep in the way good Eurogames only can be. Highly recommended.

Carson City (2 games, 4 and 5 pl)

Worker placement games haven't really grabbed me before. Caylus is yet to win me over, and I can't wrap my head around Dominant Species (playing the ios app - I think I just need to play a fair bit more to see the strategies behind it) but this one is brilliant. Has a similar economic emphasis to Power Grid, but much more directly competitive. The limited turn count and character changing mechanic make this play very tightly and forces you to really ponder each cowboy's placement. Speedy mechanics, tight design and strongly competitive. One of the group's favourites.

Eclipse (1st game last week, 6 pl)

Ridiculously elegant mechanics and probably the most dynamic game we've played. Players can be very tempted to turtle up, in fact the design seems to encourage it, but don't be misled. Aggression is rewarded heavily as the discovery tiles and extra income generated by seeking out high value, high resource hexes give a strong advantage to early game aggression. The technology and ship building give the game a lot of flavour. Admittedly, we've only played one game, but it is high on the list of games to play again soon. Can't emphasise encouraging players to plan during other players' turns heavily enough with a large group though. The game time can balloon if people aren't on the ball.

Ascension Core and with newest expansion (3 or 4 games, 4 pl)

Great fun. Fast and fluffy. One player is adamant there's no strategy, but he's wrong. There's a tiny sliver of strategy. Enough to give an edge to players who think about their deckbuilding. But it is very random.

Panic Station (4 games, 5 pl)

We love traitor games. The group is very treacherous and a couple players having blazing rows at the drop of a hat. This game is deeply flawed, but with a lively group (and beer) it's fun enough. Looking at reeling out some of the variant rules to make it work better though.

Battlestar Galactica Core (3 games, 4 and 5 pl)

Mixed success with this. Our 5 player game was brilliantly tense, but both 4 player games suffered due to the sympathiser. Definitely keen to play again, but enthusiasm has dampened for some of the group.

Dominion Core (2 games, 4 pl)

Don't go too heavy on the attack cards. No fun at all then.

Zombies!! Core (3 games, 4-6 pl)

Awful game. Skip it at all costs.

Sessions I missed - impressions from others in the group.

Descent - Very favourable responses. Reminds them of the old HeroQuest game.

Fury of Dracula - Positive impressions about the gameplay, but apparently pretty easy for the vampire hunters.

On the pile to be played: - What would people recommend next?

Manhattan Project
Dominant Species
Warrior Knights
Risk: Metal Gear Solid
Arkham Horror
Race for the Galaxy
Automobile
Gears of War
- We tried to play this one last weekend, but the owner neglected to learn the rules prior, and we gave up after 40 mins without a single turn played.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The End posted:

If the gimmick is all you really liked about Risk Legacy, there's no point in playing the other games.

quote:

Arkham Horror

Personally, I'd avoid. It's a mess of game that skates on the fact that it's Cthulu.

quote:

Gears of War - We tried to play this one last weekend, but the owner neglected to learn the rules prior, and we gave up after 40 mins without a single turn played.
I like GoW, although I'm in the minority. You do need somebody to know the rules first - it's not horribly complicated but it's not a game to try blind, although I'd say that for most games.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The End posted:

Ascension Core and with newest expansion (3 or 4 games, 4 pl)

Great fun. Fast and fluffy. One player is adamant there's no strategy, but he's wrong. There's a tiny sliver of strategy. Enough to give an edge to players who think about their deckbuilding. But it is very random.

Sure there's a lot of variance in the random-row style DBG, but your player is insane if he thinks there is no strategy involved. An experienced player will win against a novice player 9 times out of 10, leaving a bit of room for those random chance blowouts. Part of getting "better" at the game is just card familiarity (like anything, I guess?), so maybe more games would change his mind. However,

Re: Ascension expansions, it does help a bit to play specific sets together as it helps synergy with some cards. IE, the base game Chronicle of the Godslayer is supplemented by small xpac Return of the Fallen; then the new stand-alone title Storm of Souls came out, and was then supplemented by xpac Immortal Heroes. Their next release will be another stand-along title ("Rise of Vigil"), and will surely get its own smaller xpac release as well. While you can play any of these together of course, those specific pairs have themes and mechanics designed to play closer together (ex: Events & Soul Gems introduced in the 2nd wave of releases, new resource and card type Energy and Treasure in the upcoming RoV set, etc.). Long story short, if you're not just playing with everything at once, sticking to those set pairs might help said player find more strategy in the game.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 25, 2013

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

The End posted:

Fury of Dracula - Positive impressions about the gameplay, but apparently pretty easy for the vampire hunters.
If the player of Dracula plays poorly, Fury of Dracula would be easy for the vampire hunters. But then again, if your opponent plays poorly, every game is easy. I'd recommend you to play Dracula next time, after studying the rules and planning a few strategies. Or you can read up on the web for some recommendations if you can't come up with anything.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fury of Dracula has some good ideas in terms of the hunting component but it's seriously let down by the 'roll higher than the other guy' aspect of combat. True, there are some mind-games involved in combat but even then this is nullified if you roll well and the other player rolls poorly, no matter how much he planned/got equipped.

EBag
May 18, 2006

echoMateria posted:

These are all co op, can be played with two and highly praised:

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game (LCG)
(Watch It Played)

Sentinels of the Multiverse: Enhanced Edition (Let's Play Sentinels Of The Multiverse Oneshot: A New Game Type Appears )

Agents of Smersh (Agents of SMERSH Part I: Gameplay Walkthrough )

Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island (Robinson Crusoe Gameplay Walkthrough )

Thanks, these all sound great, I'll check them out! LoTR sounds almost perfect.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Our Dracula games have had the opposite problem. If Dracula really knows what he's doing and sticks around the edges / out of sight of the hunters, the game just gets kind of aimless and boring for the hunters. Then, whenever they do get close, Dracula just plays evasion and renders the whole thing pointless. I actually recommend playing with all of these variant house rules. They definitely improve upon the game quite a bit.

Are there any other games (aside from Scotland Yard) that utilize the tracking mechanic? It's really the only part of Dracula I like. I'd love to see a better game use it. Scotland Yard is too simple and Dracula is too bogged down with horrible design choices.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The End posted:

Eclipse (1st game last week, 6 pl)

Ridiculously elegant mechanics and probably the most dynamic game we've played. Players can be very tempted to turtle up, in fact the design seems to encourage it, but don't be misled. Aggression is rewarded heavily as the discovery tiles and extra income generated by seeking out high value, high resource hexes give a strong advantage to early game aggression. The technology and ship building give the game a lot of flavour. Admittedly, we've only played one game, but it is high on the list of games to play again soon. Can't emphasise encouraging players to plan during other players' turns heavily enough with a large group though. The game time can balloon if people aren't on the ball.

The beautiful thing about Eclipse's design is how the pinned mechanic works. I'll move dreanoughts and cruisers into enemy territories and this usually causes them to overreact by sending in twice the ships to ensure victory. Next round I'll send in a dinky interceptor to free up a pin and move my bigger ships deeper into their (now undefended) territory. With the limited number of ships and tight spaces, Eclipse really punishes turtlers if someone is actively gunning for you. Neutron bombs are stupidly cheap and if you can bomb an inner sector, you'll do more economic damage at the end of that round than you'll lose on the ships you built.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SlipkPIe posted:

Our Dracula games have had the opposite problem. If Dracula really knows what he's doing and sticks around the edges / out of sight of the hunters, the game just gets kind of aimless and boring for the hunters. Then, whenever they do get close, Dracula just plays evasion and renders the whole thing pointless. I actually recommend playing with all of these variant house rules. They definitely improve upon the game quite a bit.

Are there any other games (aside from Scotland Yard) that utilize the tracking mechanic? It's really the only part of Dracula I like. I'd love to see a better game use it. Scotland Yard is too simple and Dracula is too bogged down with horrible design choices.

Pandemic with the expansion has the same mechanic and it's...kinda just as bad, really. Can be fun, but pretty flawed.

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006
Gamer, geek, and ladies man

SlipkPIe posted:

Nuns on the Run is kinda like a backwards Scotland Yard. All but one of the players is writing down their secret movement, trying to get to specific locations on the board. The one player on the board is trying to catch everyone else. I really like it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space has a similar mechanic.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

The End posted:

Manhattan Project
Dominant Species
Warrior Knights
Arkham Horror
Race for the Galaxy
Automobile
Gears of War
- We tried to play this one last weekend, but the owner neglected to learn the rules prior, and we gave up after 40 mins without a single turn played.

Dominant Species is my personal recommendation by far. The only downside for most people is its length (four hour game on average between groups), but if you can get past you're playing one of the best "eurogames" (it's more like a war game disguised with wooden cubes, cylinders and cones) out there. It's very competitive and filled with situations of dicking over other players. I love it.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Merauder posted:

Sure there's a lot of variance in the random-row style DBG, but your player is insane if he thinks there is no strategy involved. An experienced player will win against a novice player 9 times out of 10, leaving a bit of room for those random chance blowouts. Part of getting "better" at the game is just card familiarity (like anything, I guess?), so maybe more games would change his mind. However,

Re: Ascension expansions, it does help a bit to play specific sets together as it helps synergy with some cards. IE, the base game Chronicle of the Godslayer is supplemented by small xpac Return of the Fallen; then the new stand-alone title Storm of Souls came out, and was then supplemented by xpac Immortal Heroes. Their next release will be another stand-along title ("Rise of Vigil"), and will surely get its own smaller xpac release as well. While you can play any of these together of course, those specific pairs have themes and mechanics designed to play closer together (ex: Events & Soul Gems introduced in the 2nd wave of releases, new resource and card type Energy and Treasure in the upcoming RoV set, etc.). Long story short, if you're not just playing with everything at once, sticking to those set pairs might help said player find more strategy in the game.

If only they could stop wasting money making every single set "standalone."

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!

Trynant posted:

Dominant Species is my personal recommendation by far. The only downside for most people is its length (four hour game on average between groups), but if you can get past you're playing one of the best "eurogames" (it's more like a war game disguised with wooden cubes, cylinders and cones) out there. It's very competitive and filled with situations of dicking over other players. I love it.

Echoing this. Dominant Species looks like a normal euro but it's very cutthroat and incredibly fun. Best of all is that everyone will always be in the running to win.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Merauder posted:

I have over a 60% win rate online, with a four-figure sample size. That's considerably better than most winning players manage at heads-up poker, for instance. So arguing that Ascension has no strategy (or a sliver of strategy) is like arguing that poker has no strategy or a sliver of strategy, which we all know is nonsense.

A game's depth is actually independent of its luck factor, it's just harder to gauge relative skill with a small sample size when a game has a lot of luck to it. That's not to say that Ascension is a super-deep game, but it's definitely got strategy.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Yeah, that was pretty much my point to The End; your post is better presented with actual data/example. :)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

The End posted:

Power Grid Core (3 games, 4 and 5 pl)

I honestly didn't like this much at all first time through, but it definitely has shone after repeated play. There are a ridiculous number of economic permutations to ponder and strategic considerations to make each turn. Very aggressive game, but in a way that rewards out-of-the-square thinking. Plays relatively swiftly with a large group and is deep in the way good Eurogames only can be. Highly recommended.

I had the same experience. First time I played it, I had no clue what I was doing until the middle of the second turn. Then I realized how hosed I was with the area I chose. People took over the double cities / cheap to expand sections while I took a peninsula where I had to suck a million german cocks to get started in the next town over.

quote:

Battlestar Galactica Core (3 games, 4 and 5 pl)

Mixed success with this. Our 5 player game was brilliantly tense, but both 4 player games suffered due to the sympathiser. Definitely keen to play again, but enthusiasm has dampened for some of the group.

It's funny, because you came to the same conclusion as many other people by yourself. 5 has been always considered the magic number for that game. 4 has sympathizers (which makes you play the game like a dumbdumb) and 6+ starts making the game run for way too long/short (depending on how the Cylons are playing)

Have played Archipelago a couple times in the past couple of months. It's an ecomonics/land development game where the world is created as you play.

Your meeples are your workers and ships. They do everything in the game so you have to build up your force of workers so they can do things like

*Explore a tile and hope you can fit it next to a hex you have a free explorer in. You can either take the top most hex based on what the top looks like (you can't check out the bottom of it) or risk a failed explore by taking the hex directly below it. Exploration not only give you more resources to gather, but gives you tokens that can be used as any resource only for upkeeps (later)

*Gather stuff. How it works is that each hex has some tiny circles that show what you can get. If you have 2 workers on two hexes with 2 Exotic Fruits circles each, telling them to gathering Exotic Fruits tells all your workers in the world they can gather Exotic Fruits.

*Build things that give benefits like selling/buying one additional item to the export/local market for 1 coin.

*Immigrate to other hexes

*Make new workers on each hex. The workers have to be free from doing any work and it does take 2 to tango.

Everyone has a card that tells their goal and a condition when the game ends for everyone. All the goals have 1st 2nd and 3rd places for VPs depending on the goal. Like the number or churches, number of ship ports, number of towns, etc. If your card is ports and you built 4 and it's the most, you get 1st place, but another player might gotten around to have built only 1, but still would get 2nd place.

The big "gimmick" for this game is that your workers are actually natives of the land. If there are unhired natives, they will add to a meeple counter representing the uprising that will chase the # of workers meeple on a large numbered board. If the restless counter bypasses the worker count, everyone loses (except for the one troll goal that says you win if the people lose).

Also the turn order is critical. There is a bidding process at the beginning and whoever wins decides who goes in what order. This usually involves secondary bribes to the person who wins so he doesn't put you last. Going before someone else who also has people in your area (which can be removed through buildings) lets you harvest the resources before the other player which will lock those resources from being gathered for the round. The turn order also involves paying an upkeep since all the workers will lay down at the beginning of most rounds (except for areas with churchs). A player can use an explore token, a resource from their personal cache, or take it directly from either the local or export market for free. So the person who goes first can stand up people using all the resources from the markets and decide which order. It is in the interest of everybody to stand all the workers up because each person laying down will not be able to do work and also add to the restless marker.

There are also evolution cards which add perks to the game that lets you do extra actions. These perks can either be personal or can be used by other people. Another reason turn order is important because you can use a really good perk from another person like doubling the amount of resources you gather for that turn.

We started playing this game like Catan. Hording resources and trading only when it's very beneficial to you. Now we are starting to see a better way to play it where we all are open with our resources to help fulfill our goals. It is also better to be unfocused and build one of each type of building to try to get 3rd or 2nd place for another person's goal. The game will end and you can actually race to finish it quickly. One game end condition is when people have explored so many hexes or if there are a certain number of buildings.

There is a lot more I can write about, but here's a boardgamegeek link if any are interested

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/105551/archipelago

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

EVIR Gibson posted:

Have played Archipelago a couple times in the past couple of months. It's an ecomonics/land development game where the world is created as you play.

You explained the game really well. You covered a lot about it, and I feel like I can imagine playing it now.

You never actually mentioned, in all those words, whether you actually enjoy the game or not, though.

You've obviously played it enough to have a solid feeling about the game, how do you enjoy it?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

The End posted:

Warrior Knights
Gears of War[/b] - We tried to play this one last weekend, but the owner neglected to learn the rules prior, and we gave up after 40 mins without a single turn played.

I'd say Warrior Knights but that's only because I have it and I need to do a play of it to learn it.

Gears of War is OK but I really didn't like it. It has an odd feeling about it that I just can't really describe. Really nice models though!

Also what are people's opinion on REX? I know it's pretty fun with 6 players but what's the bad side of it? Long plays? AP prone stuff? I did a play through and it seems like it's pretty simple. Just a bunch of phases/steps with races all being ridiculously powerful in their own way.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Funso Banjo posted:

You explained the game really well. You covered a lot about it, and I feel like I can imagine playing it now.

You never actually mentioned, in all those words, whether you actually enjoy the game or not, though.

You've obviously played it enough to have a solid feeling about the game, how do you enjoy it?

I was turned off of it in the beginning because people are trying to be all Catan-greedy about the resources. But the point of the game, which we have turned into playing as, as a more communicative game where we just gotta win before we are overwhelmed by an uprising. I like it a lot better when you are helping a guy finish some ports while he is helping you build churches which is actually one of the few buildings were a perk can lower the restlessness of the islands by the number of churches you have built.

Playing the market is also fun as hell. You can rush to the export markets as soon as you get your first Fruit because it sells for 8 coins for the first one because it drops to 5 coins for the second fruit. Or you can invest in resources that sell constantly got 5 and build ports/markets to sell even more per turn.

I like it but it is probably me enjoying the game more as a 'we are in deep poo poo together but have to make a buck' than the 'Moving my workers to player b's hex. Harvesting all his ore'

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I bought Sentinels of the Multiverse, played it with some friends, enjoyed it, went out and bought the expansions, played it some more and continued to enjoy it. However, some of the heroes just seem very lackluster. while I realize some will have to be better than others, but playing Haka, Mr Fixit, and Bunker I felt really useless compared to playing Tachyon, Legacy, or Expatriette.

I still have only played a small selection of all the possible villain/environment combinations, do these other heroes shine in other situations, or is this game as heavily tiered as it seems to me?

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006
Gamer, geek, and ladies man

Network42 posted:

I bought Sentinels of the Multiverse, played it with some friends, enjoyed it, went out and bought the expansions, played it some more and continued to enjoy it. However, some of the heroes just seem very lackluster. while I realize some will have to be better than others, but playing Haka, Mr Fixit, and Bunker I felt really useless compared to playing Tachyon, Legacy, or Expatriette.

I still have only played a small selection of all the possible villain/environment combinations, do these other heroes shine in other situations, or is this game as heavily tiered as it seems to me?

Bunker is fun depending on which mode he's in. If you can sit and wait and don't mind taking damage, you could one shot some of the villains. Mr. Fixit is very much a support character, but if Expatriette is in play, they combine really well. Haka is straight forward, but I prefer Ra if I'm going straight damage. It varies on the villain, the playstyle of the players, and which villain you're up against.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Network42 posted:

I've played Bunker before and enjoyed him; he require some finesse though. I know Haka has a power that much shuts down Citizen Dawn by preventing her from ever flipping, and I think it works similar against Omnitron.

RYang
Dec 5, 2012

Network42 posted:

I think Haka's decent. He's probably the hero that requires the least setup, since I don't think anyone else can get a power that matches Tahaia by playing just a single card, or the Rampage one-shot. Ground Pound is very nice, and Savage Mana alone can wreck entire villains. I think a lot of his cards are kind of weak, but he has enough to hold him up.

I find Mr. Fixer pretty underwhelming normally. If you have allies like Legacy and Ra that can buff his damage, he can really capitalize on that with tools like Dual Crowbars (because of the way it's worded, the damage buffs essentially apply twice to the second hit), and there are a couple of villains like Plague Rat that he happens to be very strong against, but I have to agree that he's behind the curve in normal circumstances.

Bunker feels a bit behind the curve to me too, but only slightly. He's got some nice powers, but he takes a lot of setup to reach his full potential. I think the Mode cards are a bit too weak for what they do, especially against villains with equipment destruction that can undo your setup; after about a year, I've gotten the impression that the best way to play him is to just put out maybe two damaging powers and a Turret Mode. Against villains without equipment nukes, though, he eventually reaches downright silly levels of power.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Stumiester posted:

Yeah, I just shove them into 3 bags: 1 is all US influence, one is all USSR influence, the last is turn/space markers/VP/mil ops/defcon. We don't use the action round chit, and instead of the "event" chits we just keep the relevant cards tucked under the board.

Makes sense. I got paralyzed when I saw all the baggies that came with the game and was like MUST USE ALL OF THESE but scaling it down to three definitely would be better.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I actually think I figured out exactly the setup intended (as in, I use all of the bags):

1 baggie: US 1 chits
1 baggie: US 2+ chits
1 baggie: USSR 1 chits
1 baggie: USSR 2+ chits
1 baggie: dice, other chits
1 baggie: Early War cards
1 baggie: Mid War cards
1 baggie: Late war cards

The General
Mar 4, 2007

attackmole posted:

Makes sense. I got paralyzed when I saw all the baggies that came with the game and was like MUST USE ALL OF THESE but scaling it down to three definitely would be better.

This is so hard to do, but makes so much sense. I struggle with every game about sorting components, but at the end of the day, they're all in clumps allover. I just backup whatever clumps are beside eachother. It's easier to sort 3 or 4 piles as you play, than it is to sort a dozen after every game.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

My roomate and I are having some trouble with Mice and Mystics. If you trigger a surge due to the "Time is Short" rule, do you shuffle a new initiative order, or add the new minions to the bottom of the old one?

Also, is there anything stopping me from performing a search action while there are enemies nearby?

Also, do we keep cheese, levels and items between chapters at all?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 26, 2013

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

My roomate and I are having some trouble with Mice and Mystics. If you trigger a surge due to the "Time is Short" rule, do you shuffle a new initiative order, or add the new minions to the bottom of the old one?

Also, is there anything stopping me from performing a search action while there are enemies nearby?

Time is Short can't happen in combat, since there have to be no minions on the board for it to trigger. If it triggers, you're starting a new encounter, so you'd shuffle a new order.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Anyone got any opinions on the Spartacus board game? A friend of a friend claims it rules but I'm super wary about licensed stuff.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

It's actually a solid game. Quick rundown:
You get an intrigue round to play cards from your hand based on your house's standing and if you don't have enough standing you can ask someone else to lend their aid to you to play cards. Cards can benefit or harm people, I want to say there's about an even mix. Then there's a market phase with 5 face down cards where you can buy slaves (needed for cash) and gladiators (who will drain cash every turn), and equipment via blind betting. Each card is flipped in turn and bid on. Then you get a bid for holding the games, whoever wins gets to invite players to join the games. Declining results in a loss of standing. Assuming two people (the host can be one of them) attend, they each throw a gladiator out and you switch to a small tactical map. Duke it out with dice, everyone can place bets on who'll win and whether there will be an injury or decapitation. Rinse and repeat until someone wins.

It played well the one time I tried it and I would gladly play it again.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
On Mage Knight, does Volkare attack you as you move from a hex next to him to another next to him as well, like a rampaging enemy?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I have ended up with two copies of Risk: Legacy for some reason, so if anyone wants to have a go at the game, here is the thread for it

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Holy crap, total party knockout via brody.

Edit: do you really have to break his 4 defense on two separate attacks to scare him off? We couldn't even hurt him once. I couldn't figure out if you're supposed to attack a specific card, or split your hits equally between them or what.

This game seems very difficult.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 26, 2013

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I played and won my first game of Lord of Waterdeep tonight. It was a five player game and all but one person had never played before. I found it fairly enjoyable. The "tacked on theme" didn't bother me a great deal. I'm interested to try it again because I'm slightly on the fence as to whether it's all the good or not. I have only played the single player iOS version of Caylus, but I'm suspecting that LOWD is just an inferior version of Caylus.

My biggest question mark was whether the balance on the intrigue cards works properly. Something like 70% of the intrigue cards that I had were cards that gave another (or all other players) x advantage and gave me x + 2 advantage. I don't feel like these scale properly with different amounts of players. Compare the relative power of a mandatory quest or a card that lets you take an action without placing your pawn to a card that lets you take two of any cube and all other players get to take one of any cube.

Beyond that I wondered if the "worker placement" genre wasn't just done really well with Caylus, to the point where if you just copy and modify it slightly and then play test the result properly you will end up with a fun game.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

systran posted:

Beyond that I wondered if the "worker placement" genre wasn't just done really well with Caylus, to the point where if you just copy and modify it slightly and then play test the result properly you will end up with a fun game.

Dozens have and plenty are good games but for a lot of people it just comes down to why keep playing something other than the already several well regarded worker placement games.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Was talking with a friend today and we both enjoyed Hero Quest wayyyy back in the early 90s. We enjoyed it because it was basically Dungeons and Dragons... lite. Are there any modern games that play similarly? My brain says Mage Knight but I've never played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Descent 2nd Edition is probably your best bet for re-creating HeroQuest experiences. Mage Knight is more a deck building RPG with competitive elements, and while being a drat good game in its own right, I wouldn't recommend it for someone looking for HeroQuest.

VVVV What Bob said about Descent 2nd Ed being tactical miniatures is totally true, but it's also a better game than the 1st edition.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 26, 2013

• Locked thread