Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Does anyone else get really wound up by people who pixel peep and complain about how they could never use 3rd party lenses and NEED L-Glass for their 1000px wide images on 500px?
I don't know why it annoys me so much.

DPReview is the best for this. There's a panic in the entry-level Nikon SLR forum right now because the D5200 produces banding in the shadows when you push a RAW file five loving stops in post.

Half of them have preordered the 7100 though as it's the successor to the One True Camera so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the other hand, I've got a huge boner for L glass because of how fast they can focus. My cheapo lenses are really starting to hold me back on the things I want to take pictures of because mechanically they just aren't as snappy.

Granted, the Sigma 35 1.4 apparently is very quick to focus so the point is moot in this specific discussion, but L lenses have always had the reputation for giving top of the line focus speeds, which makes them pretty easy to lust after. More manufacturers making awesome lenses just make buying harder because I have to do a shitton more reading. :effort:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hmm, the Sigma 35 mm f/1.4 really is better than the 35L, it seems. I’d heard it was good, but I didn’t know it was that good.

Theoretically, I could sell my 35L and get enough money to buy the Sigma 35 new. :psyduck:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

xzzy posted:

but L lenses have always had the reputation for giving top of the line focus speeds

Not with the 50L or 85L. You can actually feel the weight shift from the amount of glass that needs to move in those two lenses. The 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 are much faster comparatively.

I'm definitely considering the Sigma 35 instead of the 35L, but I want to test it out first and see how the Sigma holds up over the next few months.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Hey guys! Ever wanted to "Go Pro" like Sara Francis!

Well now you can! Her new kind of blog is like a tutorial for becoming a professional photographer, and this latest installment is all about making Valentine's Day special!

http://www.pixiq.com/article/hearty-photoshop-tips-to-please-your-valentine

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

squidflakes posted:

Hey guys! Ever wanted to "Go Pro" like Sara Francis!

Well now you can! Her new kind of blog is like a tutorial for becoming a professional photographer, and this latest installment is all about making Valentine's Day special!

http://www.pixiq.com/article/hearty-photoshop-tips-to-please-your-valentine

That really takes the cake. I lo:h:e it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Commuters

http://vimeo.com/57909511

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
These are some good photographs in this here link:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2013/02/20/world_press_photo_2013_awards_announced_for_the_prestigious_international.html

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

#3 is insanely good

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
The Face of Bureaucracy: Portraits of Civil Servants Around the World

is really awesome.

Full gallery here: http://www.janbanning.com/gallery/bureaucratics/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Eegah posted:

DPReview is the best for this. There's a panic in the entry-level Nikon SLR forum right now because the D5200 produces banding in the shadows when you push a RAW file five loving stops in post.

Half of them have preordered the 7100 though as it's the successor to the One True Camera so there's that.

I mean... Just...

:cripes:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Man so 500px is really just a place for tits now? I just searched "Film" and "35mm" to see if there was anything beyond digital there. Every page has tits on it, it's incredible.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Awkward Davies posted:

Man so 500px is really just a place for tits now? I just searched "Film" and "35mm" to see if there was anything beyond digital there. Every page has tits on it, it's incredible.

When I searched for boobs every photo had boobs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

500px seems the same to me. Bunch of overprocessed landscapes. :iiam:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Someone should find this guy and make him the star of pretty much every movie:

From that Bureaucrats series.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Awkward Davies posted:

The only pic I've ever gotten a response about on 500px was a nice pic of my fiancée. No tits, but still creepy. Not as creepy as the speediness in which Flickr people will tag and favorite your picture of someone's foot, but still creepy.

I'm considering Squarespace for my next attempt at a portfolio site but I already pay $20 a month for my linode so at some point ill have to roll something myself.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ahmeni posted:

The only pic I've ever gotten a response about on 500px was a nice pic of my fiancée. No tits, but still creepy. Not as creepy as the speediness in which Flickr people will tag and favorite your picture of someone's foot, but still creepy.

I'm considering Squarespace for my next attempt at a portfolio site but I already pay $20 a month for my linode so at some point ill have to roll something myself.

A portfolio is stupid simple to make if you just want a simple one. Sidebar plus huge ol jquery slideshow or just a succession of images. You could do it in a weekend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

A portfolio is stupid simple to make if you just want a simple one. Sidebar plus huge ol jquery slideshow or just a succession of images. You could do it in a weekend.

I actually started doing exactly that a few weeks ago.. don't really like any of the gallery sites out there, so I put on my javascript pants and went to town. Got a nice proof of concept going in a couple days, just gotta polish it off.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
So I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a photographer whose name I can't remember. He did a series of portraits in the back of what I believe was a truck. The roll door of the truck was open, so you could see the landscape outside, with the subject just inside. The photographer shot wide enough that you saw not just the scenery around the truck, but the inside of the truck as well, including the lights all set up; it was a very cool framing device. Any idea who this was?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

thetzar posted:

So I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a photographer whose name I can't remember. He did a series of portraits in the back of what I believe was a truck. The roll door of the truck was open, so you could see the landscape outside, with the subject just inside. The photographer shot wide enough that you saw not just the scenery around the truck, but the inside of the truck as well, including the lights all set up; it was a very cool framing device. Any idea who this was?

Hmm, I'm pretty sure you would have remembered it was set in Iraq, but by any chance is it Ben Lowy's pictures of Iraq?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Fragrag posted:

Hmm, I'm pretty sure you would have remembered it was set in Iraq, but by any chance is it Ben Lowy's pictures of Iraq?

Nope! He was shooting environmental set-up portraits in like a U-Haul truck around the US.

It's been digging in my head for weeks because I have a fantasy of doing something like this, but I don't want to rip the guy off too closely. So now I need to find the work again so that I know what bits of it in my head are original. I think I saw it referenced on Strobist, but I can't seem to find it. (Not that I'd ever really be able to afford doing it anyway)

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.
I have no idea which thread is the best one to post this in, but here goes. onOne Software are currently giving away copies of Perfect Effects 4 Premium, normally valued at $99, for both Windows and OSX.

Click here to get the free version:
https://www.ononesoftware.com/store/cart-add/763&utm_campaign=CLive_PE4FullFree_0213&utm_medium=banner&utm_source=creativelive

Click here for info about the software:
https://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-effects/

I'm grabbing my copy now, I hope some people find this useful.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

That seems to be tossing an error. They probably didn't mean to make it free.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
price comes up as $99.95 for me

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.
It looks like it's no longer available for free unfortunately, must've been a time-limited offer. =0(

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
How much heat does a studio flash give off? I'm trying to recreate an underwater environment and the best way to get it seems to put your hand about a foot in front of the flash. I've only tried it out with the pilot light and I just want to make sure I'm not doing something ridiculously stupid. (FYI, it's an Elinchrom Style RX600 at 3.0 power.)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
That gives off 600 joules per second at full power, for 1/2000th of a second:

quote:

The kilojoule (kJ) is equal to one thousand (103) joules. Nutritional food labels in certain countries express energy in standard kilojoules (kJ).

One kilojoule per second (1000 watts) is approximately the amount of solar radiation received by one square metre of the Earth in full daylight.[9]

One Joule equals:

the energy required to lift a small apple one metre straight up. (A mass of about 102 g = 1⁄9.81 kg)
the energy released when that same apple falls one metre to the ground.
the energy delivered by a 1 watt solar panel every second.
the energy released as heat by a person at rest, every 1/60th of a second.[6]
the kinetic energy of a 50 kg human moving very slowly (0.2 m/s).
the kinetic energy of a tennis ball moving at 23 km/h (14 mph).[7]

So, 600/2000 = the energy of 2 slices of apply falling one metre = bugger all heat.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Fragrag posted:

How much heat does a studio flash give off? I'm trying to recreate an underwater environment and the best way to get it seems to put your hand about a foot in front of the flash. I've only tried it out with the pilot light and I just want to make sure I'm not doing something ridiculously stupid. (FYI, it's an Elinchrom Style RX600 at 3.0 power.)

the modelling bulb is probably going to end up giving off much more heat than the flash tube.

Are you talking about like rippling water shadows by underwater environment?

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I've done this a couple of times. You can use smoke or steam to give everything that hazy look, and if you're trying to replicate the banding you get under shallow water, put a small amount of water in a very large ziplock bag. Flatten it out and then squeeze all the air out so you have a thin layer of water and no air in the bag.

Gel your light blue-green, then snoot your flash and hang the bag in front of the snoot. More water in the bag will give you more waves. Just be real careful about the modeling light melting the plastic.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
Yeah, I couldn't get the effect I wanted so I'll try again next week. I'll try the waterbag effect then!

spog posted:

That gives off 600 joules per second at full power, for 1/2000th of a second:

So, 600/2000 = the energy of 2 slices of apply falling one metre = bugger all heat.

Thanks! I was pretty sure it didn't give off much heat, but then again, I didn't want to singe off my hair on my hand in order to find out.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Fragrag posted:

Thanks! I was pretty sure it didn't give off much heat, but then again, I didn't want to singe off my hair on my hand in order to find out.

Not sure of how powerful of a flash it takes, but I've seen a video where somebody took their flash against some arm hair and shot off a 1/1 power flash and it definitely had an affect on the hair. It wasn't gone, but it was sort of like if you get too close to a flame and they shrivel and smell awful, but aren't completely burned off.

But from a foot away- there is no chance of it happening.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt5tnY_c09k

Check this video.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think that video is more due to the compactness of the unit rather than raw power. I mean I wouldn't want to touch a flash tube going off but the bigger strobes disperse heat better and have built in fans as well.

I might have to try this water bag trick myself. I've idly pondered how to get that effect.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I have definitely melted colored gels on flash heads before.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

bisticles posted:

I always thought most gels were sourced from theatre lighting which usually burns super hot. I've only ever used ND gels and they were fine wrapped around the flash tube. I'm glad I don't regularly use gels now!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bisticles posted:

The theatre ones melt on our lights too. I have a gel on the wall in my office that has a fist-sized hole melted through the middle.

Your best bet is to keep the gel half an inch or more from the flash head. Even if it's not touching, if it's REALLY close, the dye can sublimate from the heat of the flash and be deposited on the flash head.

And yeah, an SB800 at full power will burn off arm hair.

So over time, no, they aren't very hot, but for a very short period of time, they really really are.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

SoundMonkey posted:

The theatre ones melt on our lights too. I have a gel on the wall in my office that has a fist-sized hole melted through the middle.

Your best bet is to keep the gel half an inch or more from the flash head. Even if it's not touching, if it's REALLY close, the dye can sublimate from the heat of the flash and be deposited on the flash head.

And yeah, an SB800 at full power will burn off arm hair.

So over time, no, they aren't very hot, but for a very short period of time, they really really are.

Yup, that's exactly what happened to the head on my 600EX-RT. I had a red Rogue gel strapped to the top inside a Saber Strip. At the end of the shoot when I took it off, it was stuck to it, leaving a little red spot (it scrubbed off easily enough). Now, I make sure to have a healthy bend to the gel so it won't sit directly above the flashtube.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bisticles posted:

Yup, that's exactly what happened to the head on my 600EX-RT. I had a red Rogue gel strapped to the top inside a Saber Strip. At the end of the shoot when I took it off, it was stuck to it, leaving a little red spot (it scrubbed off easily enough). Now, I make sure to have a healthy bend to the gel so it won't sit directly above the flashtube.

It should also be noted that you can get both clear (Rosco #00) and heat-shield gel (Rosco somethingsomething) to put between your gel and your flash and just never care about this ever again. Bear in mind that if you use their actual ThermaShield gel, not just the clear gel, you might wanna keep an eye on your flash's temperature, because that particular one reflects heat directly back into source (which is no big deal on a 20-pound thousand watt theatre light, but probably a bigger deal on a hotshoe flash).

Also, if you have a gel swatchbook, just make a note to be careful with anything with a 'trans' number of 40% or less. R59, which transmits 2% of the light that passes through it (meaning it's really loving dark), will melt and burn within ten minutes in a theatrical light fixture, and that's with it being nearly two feet from the bulb. Just consider, when putting gel on, that you're asking a really thin sheet of polycarbonate to absorb a large portion of the energy coming out of what is potentially a really big flash.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Fragrag posted:

Are you afraid you're going to set your hand on fire? Because you won't.

As for the gels, I put mine right on the flash bulbs but I pulled out the modeling bulbs so there's no chance of accidentally turning them on and cooking.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Even an SB-900 will burn the poo poo out of you if you put your skin on the lens. 1cm away and you can flash 1/1 forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

Even an SB-900 will burn the poo poo out of you if you put your skin on the lens. 1cm away and you can flash 1/1 forever.

It will not burn the poo poo out of you, nor will it even hurt, pressed directly against your skin. It's actually quite an odd feeling because the heat is so brief that it doesn't really register as pain.

EDIT: Assuming you're caucasian, at least. I guess flashes are racist.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 1, 2013