Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So for the DnD-unenlighted of us, Mass Death Ward means he's not a vampire, right?

Because if so I'm putting pretty good odds on Durkon being right hosed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
He just admitted he was a vampire.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
He means that Belkar won't be turning into one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

He just admitted he was a vampire.

I mean that we're not getting Vampire Belkar.

I basically can't see that particular death being averted without it barreling over into an even more dramatic and (relatively) unexpected death basically.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'd love it if we got a turnaround into dead Belkar + vampire Durkon. Malack actually has a compelling reason to thrall Durkon; he appreciates the man and is fond of his company, and with Durkon turning against him, he's probably unhappy about losing the friendship (and amoral enough to consider forcible conversion into an Evil being a good way to continue it). I could definitely see him pulling a "well, maybe NOW you'll see it my way, CHOMP" here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Android Blues posted:

I'd love it if we got a turnaround into dead Belkar + vampire Durkon. Malack actually has a compelling reason to thrall Durkon; he appreciates the man and is fond of his company, and with Durkon turning against him, he's probably unhappy about losing the friendship (and amoral enough to consider forcible conversion into an Evil being a good way to continue it). I could definitely see him pulling a "well, maybe NOW you'll see it my way, CHOMP" here.

Vampire Durkon would also allow him to return to his homeland posthumously and still cause some kind of disaster.

I'd kinda rather imagine Belkar surviving though because then you've got Belkar having to deal with the fact that someone died to save his stupid rear end and Roy having to deal with losing his cleric and suddenly needing Belkar a lot more despite his death coming down the line. Double points if Roy gets to (probably incorrectly) blame himself for Durkon dying because he was so blasé about Belkar's inevitable death that he didn't imagine it could spill over to anyone else.

Admittedly I have no idea if D&D clerics can be vampirized so maybe that's not possible.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ImpAtom posted:

I mean that we're not getting Vampire Belkar.

I basically can't see that particular death being averted without it barreling over into an even more dramatic and (relatively) unexpected death basically.
I don't know, I think we're at the point where any outcome for Belkar (dead, vampirised, survives to die later, survives to become undead later) is about equally predictable and therefore equally unpredictable.

I know I wouldn't have bet a cent on this comic featuring the Durkon Cavalry rushing with a timely Mass Death Ward.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

NihilCredo posted:

I know I wouldn't have bet a cent on this comic featuring the Durkon Cavalry rushing with a timely Mass Death Ward.

Word.

I have to say the title "Just a Couple of Blooddrinkers" threw me.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
What are the chances that Mr. Scruffy is a paladin, and licking a wound is his version of Laying On Hands?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

Admittedly I have no idea if D&D clerics can be vampirized so maybe that's not possible.

There's nothing to prevent it.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

What are the chances that Mr. Scruffy is a paladin, and licking a wound is his version of Laying On Hands?

Extremely small. Also paladins aren't allowed to associate with evil characters, such as Belkar. Though admittedly, one could argue that it's allowed if the intent is to reform the evil character, which Mr. Scruffy to some extent has been doing; but the likelihood of an animal having a character class is still vanishingly small.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ImpAtom posted:

So for the DnD-unenlighted of us, Mass Death Ward means he's not a vampire, right?
We actually don't know! It's an entirely new spell that Durkon invented -- with Malack's help, ironically. (Incidentally, Burlew is a loving master of Chekov guns.) Presumably it kept Belkar from dying, so no, he wouldn't rise as a vampire.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

We actually don't know! It's an entirely new spell that Durkon invented -- with Malack's help, ironically. (Incidentally, Burlew is a loving master of Chekov guns.) Presumably it kept Belkar from dying, so no, he wouldn't rise as a vampire.

Death Ward iirc is a spell that protects its target from necromantic effects that would harm or kill them. Xykon and Redcloak probably have a lot of these at their disposal (stuff like Finger of Death, Wail of the Banshee or Power Word: Death, off the top of my head), so Durkon seems to have devised a version of the existing spell that he can cast on the entire party at once.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's also the fact that Durkon has now used up one Mass Death Ward and I would be surprised if there wasn't a situation in the near future where he could really use one.

Sure he could have prepared it twice, but my impression was it's a fairly high-level affair, plus rules of drama and all that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's also the fact that Durkon has now used up one Mass Death Ward and I would be surprised if there wasn't a situation in the near future where he could really use one.

Sure he could have prepared it twice, but my impression was it's a fairly high-level affair, plus rules of drama and all that.

That's quite possible. But there are times to save things for a rainy day, and this was NOT one of those times.

Burlew is such a tease.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Surprised he didn't have plain old Death Ward to blow on Belkar instead of wasting the Mass version.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So... does this mean Belkar will now file Durkon under lust instead of hate? :stare:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Poil posted:

So... does this mean Belkar will now file Durkon under lust instead of hate? :stare:

Yeah, at least until someone tells him about all the sweet vampire bonuses he's missing on because of the dwarf's "help".

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Does the fact that Durkon used the Mass- version of the spell mean Malack can't turn him now either? (Or Mister Scruffy?)

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
Death ward stops negative energy effects. But a vampire bite inflicts con damage, through blood loss, not negative energy. He is protected from the draining touch of a vampire or other undead, but not other damage.

I don't think that death ward would necessarily protect him from the effects of the bite, or from returning as a vampire, since that normally takes days, which would be outside the time death ward lasts.

I remember that forgotten realms had some rituals that could be performed to prevent corpses from being raised as any kind of undead (clerics of khelemvor, or the doomguide prestige class could perform them, IIRC) but they took a while. I don't remember anything from the SRD that explicitly allows that though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Umbra Dubium posted:

Does the fact that Durkon used the Mass- version of the spell mean Malack can't turn him now either? (Or Mister Scruffy?)

I'm pretty sure that's why he used Mass Death Ward (besides, of course, the siren call dramatic irony).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Umbra Dubium posted:

Quite possibly.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I don't see any way how Durkon can win this if it turns into a fight. They're probably comparable level and Malack is a super powered vampire on top of that. Maybe if Belkar fights off the Hold before they go at it.

Edit - and his protection from sunlight being a spell seems pretty risky. If he gets dispelled in a fight in daylight then he's just instantly dead.

Colonel Cool fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 25, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mass Death Ward only lasts one minute per caster level, so if Malack took out Durkon, he would just need to wait a few minutes before continuing to vampirize Belkar. And I believe Malack is several levels higher than Durkon, so it wouldn't even be difficult for him to dispatch the dwarf.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Midniter posted:

Mass Death Ward only lasts one minute per caster level, so if Malack took out Durkon, he would just need to wait a few minutes before continuing to vampirize Belkar. And I believe Malack is several levels higher than Durkon, so it wouldn't even be difficult for him to dispatch the dwarf.

Cue V appearing through the wall.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah, but Durkon is somebody Malack would evidently want to hang around with forever.

I have no idea where this is going to go next and I like it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

My bet is Durkon is going to return to his homeland as a vampire, because he's a reasonably young dwarf and there is now way the Order wouldn't resurrect him if they had his body available to be sent home. Unless we take posthumously to mean "after a resurrection".

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Not related to anything, but :lol:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't see how this is a problem.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Couldn't Durkon just use Turn Undead?, I don't think he has access to the Sun domain (which I believe auto destroys undead on a successful turn which is what happens when you roll double the hit dice of the enemy being turned, something highly unlikely to happen here) but theres still a good chance it may work due to his high level. Although being crazy prepared/genre savvy i wouldn't be surprised if Malack had prepared something for that eventuality.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Couldn't Durkon just use Turn Undead?

First Malack has to remark how aghast he is.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Couldn't Durkon just use Turn Undead?, I don't think he has access to the Sun domain (which I believe auto destroys undead on a successful turn which is what happens when you roll double the hit dice of the enemy being turned, something highly unlikely to happen here) but theres still a good chance it may work due to his high level. Although being crazy prepared/genre savvy i wouldn't be surprised if Malack had prepared something for that eventuality.

He could try, but Malak is a really powerful undead. I doubt Durkon could completely drive him off. He'd be able to slow Malak down, at best. See Redcloak vs Soon.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Vampires have turn resistance. Assuming they're equal level then it's almost impossible for Durkon to turn him. If Malack has even one level on him then it's completely impossible.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Colonel Cool posted:

Vampires have turn resistance. Assuming they're equal level then it's almost impossible for Durkon to turn him. If Malack has even one level on him then it's completely impossible.

I forgot about vampiric turn resistance.

Yeah, Durkon's gonna go TURN UNDEAD and Malak is going to make an entirely unruffled response.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

I forgot about vampiric turn resistance.

Yeah, Durkon's gonna go TURN UNDEAD and Malak is going to make an entirely unruffled response.

Yeah, but Durkon can strongly present his holy symbol and prevent Malak from attacking him. At which point Malak will probably try to dominate Durkon, fail, and go back to draining Belkar.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

greatn posted:

Cue V appearing through the wall.
This is the right answer.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Vampire Durkon at this point would be a massive spanner in the works for the protagonists. I think the Order could cope with losing Belkar, but without a cleric they're so screwed.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Trapezium Dave posted:

Vampire Durkon at this point would be a massive spanner in the works for the protagonists. I think the Order could cope with losing Belkar, but without a cleric they're so screwed.

If you want to get meta about it, they might end up replacing Belkar and Durkon with O-Chul and Lien. Less melee damage, healing power and clerical magic in exchange for better durability, perhaps.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm glad that all these suggestions have been made, and, therefore, cannot now happen.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

jng2058 posted:

If you want to get meta about it, they might end up replacing Belkar and Durkon with O-Chul and Lien. Less melee damage, healing power and clerical magic in exchange for better durability, perhaps.
Not crazy enough, also two paladins aren't as good as one cleric. Clearly we're looking at Vampire Durkon joining Xykon at around the same time as Redcloak finally switches sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'll voice the left field here, and say that durkon gets turned and the order resorts to force feeding belkar wisdom boosting potions so he can cast magic for the near future. Just because that would be the best kind of worst case scenario.