Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Policenaut posted:

How stable is your internet connection with the wired Ethernet adapter connection?

As stable as the router allows I suppose. I haven't noticed and blips or hiccups and when there were I know it was due to my lovely router that I haven't gotten around to replacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I realize this is anecdotal as all hell, but downloading on the Wii U is significantly faster than when I was downloading things from XBLA. I remember rage quitting downloads on XBLA because it was taking 40-60 minutes to download 100-200mb demos.

I did the speedof.me test on my Wii U and I have a 20mbps connection and was getting between 1-2mbps on my Wii U. I don't know if this is related or not and my ISP is screwing me over, but 1-2mbps is also the fastest speeds I get when downloading something from a torrent. I know there isn't any cap set on my torrent program or router either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Long John Power posted:

Internets don't work like that.

Actually they do. Sort-of. Your actual internet speed for a wired connection is largely dictated by the distance to your local exchange, and you'll only get the advertised download speed if you're within a kilometer or two of it. (I used to live in a suburb that only got about half the bandwidth we paid for because the local network exchange was just a little too far away). When you're out in the boonies like that, distance really is a big factor with a wired internet connection.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually they do. Sort-of. Your actual internet speed for a wired connection is largely dictated by the distance to your local exchange, and you'll only get the advertised download speed if you're within a kilometer or two of it. (I used to live in a suburb that only got about half the bandwidth we paid for because the local network exchange was just a little too far away). When you're out in the boonies like that, distance really is a big factor with a wired internet connection.

DSL is limited based on distance. Cable/SAT not so much.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

I realize this is anecdotal as all hell, but downloading on the Wii U is significantly faster than when I was downloading things from XBLA. I remember rage quitting downloads on XBLA because it was taking 40-60 minutes to download 100-200mb demos.

I did the speedof.me test on my Wii U and I have a 20mbps connection and was getting between 1-2mbps on my Wii U. I don't know if this is related or not and my ISP is screwing me over, but 1-2mbps is also the fastest speeds I get when downloading something from a torrent. I know there isn't any cap set on my torrent program or router either.

Probably a dumb question, but are you sure you're measuring it in megabits (Mbps) and not megabytes (MBps)?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Policenaut posted:

How stable is your internet connection with the wired Ethernet adapter connection?

Since I took the Ethernet adapter off the Wii and put it on my Wii U I've noticed a more stable connection, but haven't noticed a speed difference.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Astro7x posted:

Since I took the Ethernet adapter off the Wii and put it on my Wii U I've noticed a more stable connection, but haven't noticed a speed difference.

Louisgod posted:

As stable as the router allows I suppose. I haven't noticed and blips or hiccups and when there were I know it was due to my lovely router that I haven't gotten around to replacing.

Alright, this is starting to sound encouraging. I don't really want faster, I just want it to stop giving me connection errors whenever I want to load up Miiverse. I've been seeing some Datel brand Ethernet adapters on sale for like $20 around here, and the internet seems to say they're great for Wii U so I think I'll pick one up next chance I get. Thanks guys :)

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah, I was getting network errors where it couldn't find the Internet connection and take forever to boot. I would also occasionally have to restart my router to get the Wii U to connect to the net. Oddly enough I have the exact same problem with my 3DS...

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
This happened a million years (one month) ago, but I just now got a chance to do it.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, you can download Wii updates on PC and install 'em via SD card. The easiest* way to do this is to download Modmii for PC, punch in your Wii system paramaters (region, current firmware version, whether or not you have particular homebrew-related files installed, etc) and it'll download everything you need to install in order to update your console without removing/disabling homebrew.

*there may be an even easier way, I'm kinda out of the loop

Thank you for the help. I finally managed to get my Wii updated and my things transferred over to my Wii U thanks to this advice.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mercury Crusader posted:

I've been told by friends and family members that visiting my gaming room is like time traveling into a local video game rental store from the mid-'90s. And I guess they're kinda right.

Guess how much I hate you.

The answer is "a lot." I hate you a lot.

Unless of course we can have a slumber party, in which case Ill bring the pizza and Surge.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Policenaut posted:

Alright, this is starting to sound encouraging. I don't really want faster, I just want it to stop giving me connection errors whenever I want to load up Miiverse. I've been seeing some Datel brand Ethernet adapters on sale for like $20 around here, and the internet seems to say they're great for Wii U so I think I'll pick one up next chance I get. Thanks guys :)
If you want to try one last thing before dropping $20, I haven't seen any network errors at all since I set the Wii U up with a static IP (not reserved DHCP, but a static IP set on the Wii U itself). It's still not downloading that fast, but it's at least connecting every time.

Then again I just bought it yesterday, so take that with a grain of salt I suppose.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Tried out the Monster Hunter game on my 3DS recently. Pretty cool, might just have to buy a Wii U for it!

I'm reading some posts in here though and... I can see some people haven't played a MH game before. No, it's not going to blurt out a tutorial every three steps you take. Yes, you'll need to figure out monster weaknesses on your own. You'll have to put your sword away to drink a potion. Please don't make Capcom reconsider turning Monster Hunter into Hand Holder.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Green Puddin posted:

Tried out the Monster Hunter game on my 3DS recently. Pretty cool, might just have to buy a Wii U for it!

I'm reading some posts in here though and... I can see some people haven't played a MH game before. No, it's not going to hold your hand. Yes, you'll need to figure out monster weaknesses on your own. Please don't make Capcom reconsider turning Monster Hunter into Hand Holder.

There is something in between "opaque as gently caress and unfriendly to newbies" and "Hand Holder".

I mean, I love the series, but there are so many clear mechanical and design improvements they could make to it without ruining what makes it great.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Crowbear posted:

There is something in between "opaque as gently caress and unfriendly to newbies" and "Hand Holder".

I mean, I love the series, but there are so many clear mechanical and design improvements they could make to it without ruining what makes it great.

Yeah, I was saying earlier. There's just no way you can be efficient at doing stuff or know how to craft certain things without looking at a wiki, the controls aren't exactly intuitive either, etc. These are all problems you can solve without killing the complexity of the game because all that would do is remove the "You need to go look poo poo up on the internet" factor that irks me and pushes away newbies.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 25, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Green Puddin posted:

I'm reading some posts in here though and... I can see some people haven't played a MH game before. No, it's not going to blurt out a tutorial every three steps you take. Yes, you'll need to figure out monster weaknesses on your own. You'll have to put your sword away to drink a potion. Please don't make Capcom reconsider turning Monster Hunter into Hand Holder.
Yeah, that's the thing. If your demo is impenetrable to people who haven't played the game before, you're not going to sell a lot of copies with your demo.

I killed the rabbit thing, but got pretty owned by that water dragon. If it weren't for this thread telling me that the game is actually super good, the demo would have convinced me NOT to get the game. That's a bad demo.

A few of the mechanics in Dark Souls (a game I LOVE!) are dumb and require a wiki to understand, too. There's no need for this. Requiring players to go to the internet is always worse than if you give them all the info they need in game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

If you want to see mechanics that are truly hosed, go look up how bowguns work. It's a clusterfuck of numbers and stats for all the different ammo types, different effective ranges for each type, etc. All stuff that there's absolutely no indicator for in-game. I had to watch youtube videos tens of minutes long to understand what's going on with them.

Capcom put no effort into their demo and I'm sure they won't put any effort into the marketing, and they will still bitch and cry when the game doesn't sell more than there are WiiUs in existence.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 25, 2013

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Its worth noting that my WiiU download speeds are just fine. I can speed test later, but I've downloaded 500mb-1gb demos and games over the weekend and all of them took around 5 minutes, plus or minus on size. I'm in North Bay San Fran area normal speedtest on pc or phone are 15mbps. WiiU is not up to android or pc but its on par or better then my PS3. No 360 to compare xbla to. The initial instqaall of horror story fame took between 30-45 minutes on day one for reference.

I wonder if the download speed has to do with what Nintendo server your hooked to. Any Northern CA goons with not poo poo internet? Hows your speeds?

Now installing those downloads. Thats a horse of a different color. Not insanely long but every one took longer to install then to download I'm sure of it. Im not working on an external hard drive so it shouldn't be that difficult. Must be how the OS is written.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 25, 2013

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I just picked up a Wii u yesterday and got the one that has ZombiU packed in. I'd have to say that I was pretty excited to boot it up and find out that it had the most recent update already installed.

The shop kept giving me errors whenever I would open it, though. It took me a while to track down what was happening, but finding a less congested wifi channel for my router to broadcast seems to have done the trick.

HapXL
Mar 16, 2005
I am wholly ignorant about the Wii as I have managed to avoid it the entire life of this generation of systems, with the exception of a demo of golf or some such that I played a few moments of at a game store. This happened mainly because I was in a situation where I could either buy a system that had games I wanted, or I could buy a system I and others in the house wanted to play as well. Now however I am in a position to get a system even if I am the only one to be using it.

I am looking at mainly playing Metroid and Zelda games though there are smatterings of others those are the main pulls for me. From the looks of it if I were to buy a WiiU I could play these as long as I had controls other than the WiiU controller, right? Or should I just buy the basic Wii?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I've never played Monster Hunter before and I'm having a ton of fun beating up the bunny with all the different weapon types. Just trying to understand the difference in how I need to act between extremes like dualswords and gunlance is a blast.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No don't buy a Wii at this point. The Wii U can play all the old Wii games, and uses the same controllers for its games in addition to the new Wii U gamepad.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

HapXL posted:

I am wholly ignorant about the Wii as I have managed to avoid it the entire life of this generation of systems, with the exception of a demo of golf or some such that I played a few moments of at a game store. This happened mainly because I was in a situation where I could either buy a system that had games I wanted, or I could buy a system I and others in the house wanted to play as well. Now however I am in a position to get a system even if I am the only one to be using it.

I am looking at mainly playing Metroid and Zelda games though there are smatterings of others those are the main pulls for me. From the looks of it if I were to buy a WiiU I could play these as long as I had controls other than the WiiU controller, right? Or should I just buy the basic Wii?

Correct. Wii U is can play Wii games as long as you have the Wiimote and so on. Make sure you buy the motion plus wiimote. Also both wii Zeldas recieved mixed reception from goons, but they're still fun in their own ways. Avoid Metroid: Other M if you value that franchise.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HapXL posted:

What are the smattering of tittles you're interested in?

I mean if its primarily Wii games you want I don't see the point in buying a Wii U given how cheap Wii's can be found.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Wii Motion Plus remotes are pretty much all you'll find in retail stores these days so you should be good on that front. Although if you're poking around online stores or buying used to save a few books, double check to make sure you're getting Wii Motion Plus, as Jet Set Jettison said.

Pretty much the only edge case in which you'd functionally need a Wii over a Wii U is if you want to use a GameCube controller (it's required for 5 player Bomberman, for example).

HapXL
Mar 16, 2005

Alteisen posted:

What are the smattering of tittles you're interested in?

I mean if its primarily Wii games you want I don't see the point in buying a Wii U given how cheap Wii's can be found.

Xenoblade and the conduit games are a few that jump to mind right away. I was thinking of a WiiU incase of future titles in the same line. Is the WiiU already near enough the end of its life cycle that I don't need to worry about new games coming out for it?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

HapXL posted:

Xenoblade and the conduit games are a few that jump to mind right away. I was thinking of a WiiU incase of future titles in the same line. Is the WiiU already near enough the end of its life cycle that I don't need to worry about new games coming out for it?

The wiiU just came out. Might as well get it for the future Zeldas (HD Wind Waker and NEW Zelda) and hopefully not-lovely metroids. Also, Nintendoland is absolutely fantastic and ZombiU is really good if thats your thing.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

HapXL posted:

Yes, a console that came out three months ago is in its death throes. :rolleyes:

Based on what you've said you're looking for, you should probably just get the Wii U. Aside from being able to play all the Wii games you're looking at now, we already know that there's Wind Waker HD, a new Zelda game, a sequel(?) to Xenoblade in the works for Wii U.

HapXL
Mar 16, 2005

Artix posted:

Yes, a console that came out three months ago is in its death throes. :rolleyes:

That was actually a rhetorical question in answer to Alteisen, who I quoted.

Thanks for the quick and insightful answers guys, looks like I'll be picking up a WiiU next time I get a stop by my home town. And thanks for the suggestion of ZombiU that looks interesting as well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The more I think about it some WiiU design decisions are just annoying. For instance, the NFC chip. How many games aside from Wii fit will ever use this? What's the point when such a device could work off any myriad of wireless communications or just plugging it into the USB port. It's wasted money on every unit. Same with the camera. It's rather pointless, low resolution anyway, and the video chat is probably extremely rare usage since you have to quit whatever app you are using. The on board Mic also has no use so far but a karaoke game, where they could have just passed the cheap Mic cost onto that game instead of every single owner. Does the sensor bar on the controller do anything at all, have any future games been shown to use it except an unnamed golf game in a promo video?

It's like they add all these cool, useless features that will be used in maybe three or four games ever instead of spending the money on parts more people would actually want, like faster ram, or maybe an audio out, or bluray license or analog triggers or a bigger battery. Or maybe, barring that, hitting a lower price point or losing less per system.

I really think they are in need of a hard rear end like Yamauchi to rein them in a little bit on some of this stuff.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Just FYI Pandora's Tower was given the release date of March 26th.

Literally next to last Wii game ever and it's a big RPG. It might have a limited release because the Wii isn't getting anything after April. It's also going to probably be 100 dollars 6 months from now just like Xenoblade. It's better than really anything that's on the Wii-U currently in terms of RPGs. Other than Monster Hunter, the Wii U isn't getting any RPGs for a good long while.

The NTSC version does not have a special edition. They're just releasing the regular game at the 40 dollar price point.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 25, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

greatn posted:

The more I think about it some WiiU design decisions are just annoying. For instance, the NFC chip. How many games aside from Wii fit will ever use this? What's the point when such a device could work off any myriad of wireless communications or just plugging it into the USB port. It's wasted money on every unit. Same with the camera. It's rather pointless, low resolution anyway, and the video chat is probably extremely rare usage since you have to quit whatever app you are using. The on board Mic also has no use so far but a karaoke game, where they could have just passed the cheap Mic cost onto that game instead of every single owner. Does the sensor bar on the controller do anything at all, have any future games been shown to use it except an unnamed golf game in a promo video?

It's like they add all these cool, useless features that will be used in maybe three or four games ever instead of spending the money on parts more people would actually want, like faster ram, or maybe an audio out, or bluray license or analog triggers or a bigger battery. Or maybe, barring that, hitting a lower price point or losing less per system.

I really think they are in need of a hard rear end like Yamauchi to rein them in a little bit on some of this stuff.
I dunno, a lot of this stuff might be questionable from a business perspective, but as the end user I'm just glad that WarioWare U or Mario Party HD or whatever can cram in as much silly crap as possible without having to adjust for optional hardware.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WendigoJohnson posted:

Just FYI Pandora's Tower was given the release date of March 26th.

Literally next to last Wii game ever and it's a big RPG. It might have a limited release because the Wii isn't getting anything after April. It's also going to probably be 100 dollars 6 months from now just like Xenoblade. It's better than really anything that's on the Wii-U currently in terms of RPGs. Other than Monster Hunter, the Wii U isn't getting any RPGs for a good long while.

The NTSC version does not have a special edition. They're just releasing the regular game at the 40 dollar price point.

Oh yeah I was going to ask about this. I plan on getting it to fill out the Operation Rainfall collection, but I hadn't really heard anything about it unlike the other two. Is it as good as The Last Story? (Obviously I can't expect it to be as good as Xenoblade).

Additionally, what is the last Wii game ever if this is next to last?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Regy Rusty posted:

Additionally, what is the last Wii game ever if this is next to last?

Wii Sing:UK Hits, this is at the moment the last Wii game set for release.

Also PT is on par with The Last Story, it's not as long as Xenoblade but it had a good ammount of stuff to do.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I picked up a Wii U a couple days ago with Super Mario Wii U, and I like it a lot.

I was wondering about another game, though. Is that upcoming Lego City Undercover game supposed to be any good?

People seem to be buzzing about Monster Hunter, but it seems to have a huge learning curve. I dunno if I want to spend more time crunching numbers and learning recipes for crafting than actually playing the game. Would I need to have a guide for this?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Minidust posted:

I dunno, a lot of this stuff might be questionable from a business perspective, but as the end user I'm just glad that WarioWare U or Mario Party HD or whatever can cram in as much silly crap as possible without having to adjust for optional hardware.

Some stuff like the sensor bars and the NFC chip require optional hardware in and of themselves in the first place. And I think blowing in a microphone got old after the first DS Wario Ware. Nintendo doesn't have the level of software or resolution on that camera it would need to do anything Kinectish game play wise.

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

Quick possibly dumb question, say I wanted to play something from the wii shop on my U, but it requires a wii classic controller. Can i use the wiiu pro controller, or is it not compatible?

e: never mind just re-read the op, must have skimmed the compatability chart

Casual Combustion fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 25, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

Quick possibly dumb question, say I wanted to play something from the wii shop on my U, but it requires a wii classic controller. Can i use the wiiu pro controller, or is it not compatible?

You cannot using anything from the Wii U for Wii games. Controller, gamepad, hard drive space, etc.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

SKYMALL SCRILLA posted:

There is literally a Wii hardware set shoved in the WiiU, when you start the "Wii Mode" nothing WiiU will work, so you if you cant use it on a regular Wii, it wont work on Wii Mode.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Alcholism Rocks posted:

I picked up a Wii U a couple days ago with Super Mario Wii U, and I like it a lot.

I was wondering about another game, though. Is that upcoming Lego City Undercover game supposed to be any good?

People seem to be buzzing about Monster Hunter, but it seems to have a huge learning curve. I dunno if I want to spend more time crunching numbers and learning recipes for crafting than actually playing the game. Would I need to have a guide for this?

It's not really crunching numbers and stuff. You might have to look at a wiki to see how to get a particular item, see a monster's weaknesses or understand a weapon a lot better, but upgrades and most crafts are pretty straightforward. It's just ridiculous that you have to look at a wiki at all, but once you do it's super simple.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

katkillad2 posted:

I haven't had any connectivity issues with the WiiU. It's not as fast as my PC with its gigabit wired connection but it's about what I'd expect for a console. Alright speed and decent connectivity. The 3DS is definitely the slowest internet device in my house with the WiiU, PS3, and Vita middling, smart phones/tablets doing better, and wired devices like desktop PC's getting the full speed my connection affords. Even when I had it wired, the PS3 never quite had the same speed as my PC but it was close enough and the connection issues were most likely due to Sony's infrastructure and device limitations.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 25, 2013

• Locked thread