Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

mysterious frankie posted:

What advice would you give to a new player who is lousy at fighting games? I can't string together any of Wei's moves past hitting X to flail madly, countering (sometimes) and grabbing people, and a lot of the fights feel like randomly generated QTEs are interspersed into them now that enemy crowds are doing different sorts of grapples on me while I'm busy trying to flail my way to victory.

A great way to learn how to handle grapplers is to go visit Sifu when you don't have a statue to turn in. You can choose an enemy type to fight for practice. That's how I learned the counters, by going a few rounds in the gym with grapplers only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I didn't know the Law Enforcement Pack was already out.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Somehow I completely missed the fact that Face 10 gets you a 40% discount on cars and clothes. I had almost a million bucks saved up but went on a buying spree :(

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk
The game was perfect for a day and now it crashes within 30 minutes, every time. I've done all the usual things (drivers etc) and my PC is pretty good. Anyone else had this?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

Somehow I completely missed the fact that Face 10 gets you a 40% discount on cars and clothes. I had almost a million bucks saved up but went on a buying spree :(

If you're hard-pressed for cash the Aberdeen fighting club gives you $150,000 every time you go through it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Just start gambling.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Replaying the game while wearing the SWAT elite outfit all the time is hilarious.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
What's the name of the song that plays in the mission where you and Jackie are chasing the van full of watches?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Is it this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwJBrwdJCzA&list=PLECC8B462D30B6517&index=152

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

That's the one, thanks.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Why doesn't this game have any decent-looking clothes that give a Triad EXP boost? I want to max out my Triad level on this playthrough so Wei has been wearing the Mountain Master set, but I'd rather have him wear a nice suit or something else that actually looks stylish. :saddowns:

Maybe I'll just forget about maxing out the Triad level and wear whatever. Gotta look cool while beating guys to death with a fish, you know.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea looking like a boss is more important in this game than any min/maxing.

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
I finished all the main missions and ended up with like 1/10th of a bar away from level 10 triad, is there anything I can do to get that last little bit?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Sears Poncho posted:

I finished all the main missions and ended up with like 1/10th of a bar away from level 10 triad, is there anything I can do to get that last little bit?

Just put on the outfit that gives you a 15% boost and replay some missions - you have to best your previous score though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

loving hell, the Zodiac Tournament DLC was short. I don't think it took me longer than half an hour or so to complete (didn't grab all the statues yet, though), but at least the fighting was as fun as usual and the presentation was amazing. I laughed out loud at the opening credits and the fact they made new, cheesy '70s movie sound effects for the punches. :allears: But yeah, this should definitely have been fleshed out a lot more.

Now that that's done, it's time to go hunt some Jiang Shi (and shove them into the trunk of a car) in Nightmare in North Point. :black101:

edit: oh my god this is glorious

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 22, 2013

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Have people seen this yet?
http://www.sleepingdogs.net/news/spotlight-wheels-of-fury-pack

quote:

Releasing next week, the Wheels of Fury Pack gives you control of the ultimate prototype supercar to tear up Hong Kong - the DZS-90. Uncover the story of Dr. Tang’s secret prototype across five all-new missions - each time adding incredible upgrades to the vehicle. When the missions are complete, you’ll have the fully-upgraded DZS-90 supercar available to use in free-roam and drive at will around the city.

The DZS-90 in its final form includes twin, concealed roof-mounted machine guns, 4-wheel steering, an electro-magnetic pulse, boosted speed and armor, plus new styling options to show it off.

Sounds like another short little romp but the car seems pretty neat. In saying that the game only has so much replayability, even with machine-gun cars to mess around with. I wish they'd add some more substantial content.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Honestly, I think this game has plenty of replayability. I've finished two playthroughs of the main game on PC now and just started another one on the PS3 (thanks, PlayStation Plus), and I never seem to get tired of kicking faces in. Maybe that's just me. :downs:

I would definitely like some more substantial DLC, though. Year of the Snake sounds nice at least, hopefully it has a decent amount of content.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I've played through it twice now, and I still pick it up now and then for a few hours when I want to drive around listening to awesome music and bash up some shitheads and throw them into speakers but there's not a lot else to do. Anyway it has its fiash share of replayability but to me it really lacks the kind of emergent gameplay that openworlds need (and maybe side activities) to keep me booting it up day after day.

Also I really wish there were aircraft. Obviously the whole map would have to be reworked and an awful lot of extra geometry added but I love flying around in open world games... especially in attack choppers.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Shanakin posted:

Have people seen this yet?
http://www.sleepingdogs.net/news/spotlight-wheels-of-fury-pack

Sounds like another short little romp but the car seems pretty neat. In saying that the game only has so much replayability, even with machine-gun cars to mess around with. I wish they'd add some more substantial content.

I managed to get it early when they briefly put it on XBL for a few hours by mistake last month, it's a pretty fun car to screw around with and stupidly fast to boot. You also get a bunch of extra shooting missions with it once you complete the main ones involving upgrading the car.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I've been checking the Steam New Releases box every day since Wheels of Fury has been announced. I can't hop on it fast enough. :rice:

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk
It's seemed to stop crashing now, and it's been a lot more fun. I really wish you could call cabs (never there when I want one) or have that valet guy act as a taxi if you want. Civilians and police have a really limited role as well...perhaps SD2 will improve on that.

I'll finish the main plot in a few days: is the DLC worth it guys?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
After playing it, it honestly doesn't feel like it is. The story DLC we've gotten so far feels a bit lacking to me, but that's just my opinion. I can't really explain why, they just seem... I dunno, lackluster.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ash.W posted:

I'll finish the main plot in a few days: is the DLC worth it guys?

Zodiac Tournament is fun but it is VERY short.

Nightmare on North Point is an absolute blast. It's short but not ridiculously so like ZT, and is just dripping with atmosphere. Well worth it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Bah. I've been putting together some videos for a potential LP of Sleeping Dogs (it's seriously one of my favorite games of all time, and I'd really love to show it off) but my voice combined with my Finnish accent literally makes me sound like I'm mentally challenged. :saddowns:

Guess I'll just give up and leave that to someone else who isn't terrible, and go finish Nightmare in North Point or continue my PS3 version playthrough instead.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

I'd say you can go ahead and grab Nightmare in North Point right now, and wait for Zodiac Tournament to go on sale. Zodiac is really fun, it's just short.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, these QTE's in this game are just bizarrely bad. Like, fighting grapplers is bad but manageable, you just have to prioritize them. But the enemies in Nightmare, when they grapple you, you're just hosed. Not only is the prompt unclear on what you should actually be doing, I think I'm doing it right and you're still looking at at least half health loss.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, these QTE's in this game are just bizarrely bad. Like, fighting grapplers is bad but manageable, you just have to prioritize them. But the enemies in Nightmare, when they grapple you, you're just hosed. Not only is the prompt unclear on what you should actually be doing, I think I'm doing it right and you're still looking at at least half health loss.
You got to tap the prompt button like crazy to get out of a Jiang-Shi grapple and only once against a human grappler. I had a lot of trouble with the QTEs at first but once you get the hang of them they are easy.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 25, 2013

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

You got to tap the prompt button like crazy to get out of a Jiang-Shi grapple and only once against a human grappler. I had a lot of trouble with the QTEs at first but once you get the hang of them they are easy.

Well, it shows the left thumbstick kind of going from center axis to the left. Am I supposed to cut it horizontally over and over? Or spin it around in a circle like the usual thumbstick QTE?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Anonymous Robot posted:

Well, it shows the left thumbstick kind of going from center axis to the left. Am I supposed to cut it horizontally over and over? Or spin it around in a circle like the usual thumbstick QTE?
Oh you're on console, on PC its right mouse button. I wouldn't really know then.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

You're supposed to move the thumbstick horizontally for the Jiang Shi QTEs.

Speaking of Jiang Shi, I just killed two of them with a fish. GOTY all years :getin:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Bah. I've been putting together some videos for a potential LP of Sleeping Dogs (it's seriously one of my favorite games of all time, and I'd really love to show it off) but my voice combined with my Finnish accent literally makes me sound like I'm mentally challenged. :saddowns:

Guess I'll just give up and leave that to someone else who isn't terrible, and go finish Nightmare in North Point or continue my PS3 version playthrough instead.

Write a funny script and I will narrate your LP videos.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

You're supposed to move the thumbstick horizontally for the Jiang Shi QTEs.

Speaking of Jiang Shi, I just killed two of them with a fish. GOTY all years :getin:

I don't get it. Sometimes this works pretty easily, and sometimes I just get grappled until I die. I really like NINP, I would actually love to see a whole game with a Big Trouble In Little China kind of vibe, but I don't know if I can put up with that to keep playing. It feels like dying to those enemies is entirely arbitrary, and they make up most of the campaign.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

That sounds odd. I honestly didn't even get grabbed by the Jiang Shi more than a couple of times (you should be able to just counter their lunges and whack them in the head before they grapple you), and even then it was no problem at all to shake them off.

e: I've killed a lot of guys using various objects in this game, but I just outdid myself by killing myself with a baton. :stare: I threw it at a thug, and when it hit him it bounced into the fence next to him and somehow ricocheted right back into Wei's face at warp speed. Had full health and everything.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 26, 2013

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

e: I've killed a lot of guys using various objects in this game, but I just outdid myself by killing myself with a baton. :stare: I threw it at a thug, and when it hit him it bounced into the fence next to him and somehow ricocheted right back into Wei's face at warp speed. Had full health and everything.

Twice with cleavers I've accidently hit throw instead of swing when point blank next to a thug, both times it has hit them doing no damage and then rebounded onto me, instakill.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Morter posted:

I've been checking the Steam New Releases box every day since Wheels of Fury has been announced. I can't hop on it fast enough. :rice:

AND ITS OUT!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Morter posted:

AND ITS OUT!

Oh gently caress yes. I may be waiting for a sale on the other stuff (Monkey King, Screen Legends, etc) but this needs to be in my hands now.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Year of the Snake achievements/trophies are up on PS3 and Steam. No DLC yet; why won't they take my money?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
They blew their Chinese New Year release deadline, now they're delaying until 2025. I admire their commitment to the holiday.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Not driving anything else after getting this car. Too good.

Also, we should get more adventures with Dr Tang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Weissritter posted:

Not driving anything else after getting this car. Too good.

Also, we should get more adventures with Dr Tang.

Please tell me that Dr. Tang is a mastermind of human trafficking and adds new massage bonuses. :allears:

• Locked thread