Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SamDabbers posted:

Since she's your mother, and not some random stranger, how about leaving the plan and billing as-is and letting her reimburse you for it? You can even port her number onto the plan, assuming she doesn't already have Sprint service.

This is the best idea. Still a step or two depending on if you need the number on there, but it's the most likely way to keep the plan. You can even have care change the caller ID.

Otherwise you can call employee care and ask to TOL the line to her name, never hurts to so but they will likely say no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

SamDabbers posted:

Since she's your mother, and not some random stranger, how about leaving the plan and billing as-is and letting her reimburse you for it? You can even port her number onto the plan, assuming she doesn't already have Sprint service.

Yeah I figured that this would be the best way. I will probably just give her my phone and use her bank account number for the billing.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Approximately 1,050 updated sites today in: LA Metro (113), Charlotte (83), New York City (82), Houston (49), VT/NH/ME (49), Boston (46), DFW (39), Chicago (38), GA/SC Coast (38), Mississippi (34), Raleigh/Durham (34), Austin (26), San Diego (26), Philadelphia Metro (24), Upstate NY Central (23), Georgia (22), New Orleans (20), Baltimore (19), South Carolina (19), Indianapolis (18), Central Pennsylvania (17), Arkansas (16), Miami/West Palm (15), Orange County (15), Orlando (14), Riverside/San Bernardino (14), North LA (11), Memphis (10), Jacksonville (9), Washington DC (9), East Michigan (8), Las Vegas (7), Long Island (7), Myrtle Beach (7), San Antonio (7), Alabama (6), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (6), Kansas (6), PR/VI (6), Upstate NY East (6), West Michigan (6), Missouri (5), Northern Jersey (5), South Bay (5), Minnesota (4), Nashville (4), Delaware (3), Gulf Coast (3), Norfolk (3), Northern Connecticut (2), SF Bay (2), Southern Connecticut (2), Central Jersey (1), Oregon/SW Washington (1), Southern Jersey (1), Tampa (1).

The biggest update so far; if they keep this rate up they might actually finish close to on-time.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I'm guessing no, but is it possible to add lines to a SERO Premium plan?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Luceo posted:

I always thought SERO plans were solo, but lately Sprint has only allowed SERO plans to be transferred to SERO and EPRP users opening second lines. So maybe?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I always thought SERO plans were solo, but lately Sprint has only allowed SERO plans to be transferred to SERO and EPRP users opening second lines. So maybe?

About 2 or 3 years ago I was allowed to "clone" my SERO plan. It's not adding a line really to share minutes, it's doubling a line. So it's the same price (29.99 or whatever) again, with the same number of minutes, etc.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Ender.uNF posted:

Approximately 1,050 updated sites today in: LA Metro (113)..Tampa (1).

The biggest update so far; if they keep this rate up they might actually finish close to on-time.
It has always bugged me that they post their updates by number of towers rather than by alphabetical order.

Granted Oregon/SW Washington towers are usually towards the bottom of the list anyway :sigh:

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

Ender.uNF posted:

Upstate NY Central (23), Upstate NY East (6),

Nothing for Rochester, eh? Not surprising. Verizon has this area pretty locked down...

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Dark Solux posted:

Nothing for Rochester, eh? Not surprising. Verizon has this area pretty locked down...

I think they should totally finish Albany before moving out to western NY. It may make the people here forget that they live in Albany for a moment.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Luceo posted:

My mom was somehow able to add a new SERO line last fall when the iPhone 5 came out to add my dad to her account.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

Dark Solux posted:

That has nothing to do with it; for whatever reason Sprint has NY split into six markets so Rochester and Buffalo are separate deployments, plus the two upstates, plus NYC and Long Island.

In other news Dallas is 53% complete and should be done before the end of the year. All the major metro markets seem to be well under way and most look like they'll finish this year. That means a ton of crews and equipment spreading out to all the cultural wasteland cities, rural, and bumblefuck areas. They all have way less towers per square mile so should be completed at a much faster rate.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Ender.uNF posted:

All the major metro markets seem to be well under way and most look like they'll finish this year. That means a ton of crews and equipment spreading out to all the cultural wasteland cities, rural, and bumblefuck areas. They all have way less towers per square mile so should be completed at a much faster rate.
Woohoo!

So what are the odds of my close-by Nextel iDEN tower being converted to a Sprint tower? I'd like to have an antenna closer than 5mi away so that I can get consistent 3G (or 4G!) reception.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is there a map somewhere of all Sprint towers? Do premium S4GRU members get access to something like that. There's a giant flagpole nearby that was having something done to it over the last week or two and I'm wondering if it's secretly a Sprint tower.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
http://network.sprint.com

I had to switch to IE for whatever reason, because it wouldn't load in Firefox.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ryanbruce posted:

I think we decided that that map only showed recently upgraded towers, though I guess that means the one I'm looking for should be on it. I suspect the flagpole isn't a Sprint tower since there's a tower about a mile from it.

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012

ryanbruce posted:

It'd be nice if that map displayed if the towers are 4G capable now or something. Is that what data speed means?

Also, works in Chrome for me.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is there a map somewhere of all Sprint towers? Do premium S4GRU members get access to something like that. There's a giant flagpole nearby that was having something done to it over the last week or two and I'm wondering if it's secretly a Sprint tower.
S4GRU has a map of towers targeted for NV, which I assume means it's all the towers that anyone should care about.

On S4GRU, I feel like my $5 donation for six month membership was well worth it. Five bucks to sate your curiosity and track the slow creep of 4G into your area? Seems good to me.

The closest tower to my apartment just finished 3G NV upgrades recently. It's even slower than it was before. I assume it's because the backhaul hasn't been activated yet.

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 22, 2013

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Currently have an Evo Shift and I'm up for an upgrade. Since I don't want to change my plan(SERO Premium), it looks like my choices are pretty limited. While the Remarq and XP STRIKE seem like the obvious choices, I was leaning towards the Galaxy S2 but there's a bunch of reviews complaining about battery life and dropped calls. Is it really that bad or should I be looking at something else?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

chemosh6969 posted:

Currently have an Evo Shift and I'm up for an upgrade. Since I don't want to change my plan(SERO Premium), it looks like my choices are pretty limited. While the Remarq and XP STRIKE seem like the obvious choices, I was leaning towards the Galaxy S2 but there's a bunch of reviews complaining about battery life and dropped calls. Is it really that bad or should I be looking at something else?
You can get any phone you want. You simply need to call in and have 'em swap the SERO Premium plan code from the WiMax one to the LTE one. You're not limited to old crap.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

chemosh6969 posted:

Why are you switching from a smart phone to a feature phone (also the remarq is long discontinued). If you are using your upgrade but the galaxy S3 or the iPhone 5, anything else smartphone wise on sprint is the wrong choice (or the note 2 if you don't mind the size).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Finally got a 4G connection on my HTC Evo 4G LTE in a semi-useful area in NYC, namely at the corner of 60th and 3rd, right by Bloomingdales.

Too bad foot traffic is so horrendous there..

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

td4guy posted:

Woohoo!

So what are the odds of my close-by Nextel iDEN tower being converted to a Sprint tower? I'd like to have an antenna closer than 5mi away so that I can get consistent 3G (or 4G!) reception.

Almost zero as of the last word; the whole point is to shutdown iDEN and stop wasting money on a second network. However after the SoftBank deal they are supposedly looking at keeping a few Nextel towers in strategic areas. I have no idea where that effort is.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yes, there are maps of all towers in the different markets, maps of the upgraded towers, etc.

ryanbruce posted:

Do not use this map. It sucks. Any upgrades shown here are additional T1s on legacy towers, not NV upgrades.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Can anybody explain why sometimes my S3 will lose its goddamn mind when it comes to telling time? Tonight, at around 8:30, it told me it was 2pm. That's not the first time I've had problems with it... sometimes it's just off by a few minutes, other times several hours. And it's not time zone fuckery, because it'll be off something like 3 hours and 13 minutes or whatever.

I've confirmed that it's configured for network time. I can switch it off network time, manually set the correct time, then switch network time back on and it'll be screwed up again. It fixes itself eventually, but when I look at my wife's phone, it's just fine. I checked with a coworker who also uses Sprint when it happened at work, and his phone was fine as well, so it really seems to be the phone itself...

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
I've had that happen in the past. It was bad enough to where I turned off network time and installed ClockSync to keep the time set correctly. Unfortunately I don't have any insight into what's going on or how to fix it, mine just stopped one day and hasn't messed up since.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

td4guy posted:

You can get any phone you want. You simply need to call in and have 'em swap the SERO Premium plan code from the WiMax one to the LTE one. You're not limited to old crap.

Thank god.

Duckman2008 posted:

Why are you switching from a smart phone to a feature phone (also the remarq is long discontinued). If you are using your upgrade but the galaxy S3 or the iPhone 5, anything else smartphone wise on sprint is the wrong choice (or the note 2 if you don't mind the size).

Now that I know I can go with a Galaxy S3, I'm doing with that. I was worried I hit another phone plateau, like when I had the older sero and wanted a smartphone.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 23, 2013

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

TVs Ian posted:

About a third of the replacement phones that we've ordered to replace the phantom menu thing still have the problem.

I suspect the problem is tough for them to reproduce, since it only seems to happen with some phones in certain areas around here.

So I went to the Sprint corporate repair store in the area. They said they knew about the issue, and that there were better shielded screen replacements coming in to fix it, but that they wouldn't be in for "a few weeks," and that I should call every couple of weeks to see if they were in yet.

Hoping for a different answer, I went to a 3rd party authorized repair center, who said nothing at all about screen replacement, but did tell me I could pay $50 for a replacement Photon. I know Duckman says that they break all the time, but I figured I'd at least look at it. So I tried to open up the keyboard tray and realized they meant the original, Tegra2-stuck-on-gingerbread Photon. I asked if there was anything else I could get instead, and he said no.

The annoying thing about all this is, I really like the S2. I know there was some hesitation when I asked about getting it in the first place. Still, the CM 10.1 port is in the final stages of going official, and it is feature complete and not at all buggy. The battery life issue is resolved with the JB kernel (which is included in the default CM kernel). If I could just get a screen replacement, or another S2, I'd be happy. Sure, I wouldn't have said no if they offered to bump me up to an Evo LTE or an S3, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the replacement list for the S2? Is it really the original Photon? I guess that's better than the Hero that someone mentioned their 3D was getting replaced for, but wow. Doesn't seem comparable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

So I went to the Sprint corporate repair store in the area. They said they knew about the issue, and that there were better shielded screen replacements coming in to fix it, but that they wouldn't be in for "a few weeks," and that I should call every couple of weeks to see if they were in yet.

Hoping for a different answer, I went to a 3rd party authorized repair center, who said nothing at all about screen replacement, but did tell me I could pay $50 for a replacement Photon. I know Duckman says that they break all the time, but I figured I'd at least look at it. So I tried to open up the keyboard tray and realized they meant the original, Tegra2-stuck-on-gingerbread Photon. I asked if there was anything else I could get instead, and he said no.

The annoying thing about all this is, I really like the S2. I know there was some hesitation when I asked about getting it in the first place. Still, the CM 10.1 port is in the final stages of going official, and it is feature complete and not at all buggy. The battery life issue is resolved with the JB kernel (which is included in the default CM kernel). If I could just get a screen replacement, or another S2, I'd be happy. Sure, I wouldn't have said no if they offered to bump me up to an Evo LTE or an S3, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the replacement list for the S2? Is it really the original Photon? I guess that's better than the Hero that someone mentioned their 3D was getting replaced for, but wow. Doesn't seem comparable.

I can't see it anymore of course, but replacement lists for all phones varies even day to day (hell I've seen them change it midway through the day). The biggest rules is it tends to be pretty conservative to other phones of the same level (I'm not a big fan but the original Photon and S2 are at the same level) and really the only exceptions is due to occasional inventory issues. It used to be more generous, but I assure you 3rd parties (me included) abused the poo poo out of policies and probably ruined it for everyone.

So yeah, it's a total crapshoot, and sometimes the only option is a replacement, it's not guaranteed that the system will let you switch to a different model. It's very much set in stone too, whatever the system offers is what the rep can do.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

That was me; they said the Hero was an option to change to. As well as the Evo3D again, Evo4G, Evo4GShift, and Samsung original Epic.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

uapyro posted:

That was me; they said the Hero was an option to change to. As well as the Evo3D again, Evo4G, Evo4GShift, and Samsung original Epic.

Man I would have called the cops if they tried to swap my 3D for a Hero or an Epic. I may have just been slightly miffed about the the other Evo phones but drat, I had a Hero and upgraded to an Epic, and then upgraded to a 3D. Being given a Hero for a 3D is straight up robbery.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

The Entire Universe posted:

Man I would have called the cops if they tried to swap my 3D for a Hero or an Epic. I may have just been slightly miffed about the the other Evo phones but drat, I had a Hero and upgraded to an Epic, and then upgraded to a 3D. Being given a Hero for a 3D is straight up robbery.

I spent hours trying various things to get a different phone; calling at least 4 reps, did the online chat a few times, retentions, but all they'd do is offer me the early upgrade for $50, and then a $100 credit to offset that and upgrade. Of course I had to wait a few weeks to get the Note 2 since I didn't have the money for it, and didn't want to burn my upgrade for something else that I didn't want.

My luck was that the 4th Evo3D I got was also defective, and had to deal with it until I upgraded.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
I'm about to add a new line to my account; is there anything stopping me from going to Best Buy, getting a new individual line, and then in a few weeks converting it to a family share plan? I noticed the prices are much better for new individual lines online at Amazon/other places, and that's how my account is set now currently at 2 individual lines.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Welp after wasting about $70 trying to replace my Evo 3d's cracked digitizer and severing the LCD cable (yup, I hosed that one up) and getting another entire front housing/LCD/digitizer combo, now the backlight doesn't work and the phone heats up to excessive temperatures while yelling about the charger not providing enough power to the phone.

I give up. unless someone here knows a thing or two about Evo3D backlight issues

So:
-my upgrade isn't till August
-I badly need a smartphone
-I live in Albany, CA, which happens to be RIGHT where the 4G line stops :[

Should I just get a cheaper android phone (Galaxy Nexus or below) and wait to use my upgrade on something amazing, when it's more likely they will have upgraded SF Bay enough to reach me? Or just go all the way and get the best LTE hotness right now (Evo LTE? Galaxy S3)?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

yellowjournalism posted:

Welp after wasting about $70 trying to replace my Evo 3d's cracked digitizer and severing the LCD cable (yup, I hosed that one up) and getting another entire front housing/LCD/digitizer combo, now the backlight doesn't work and the phone heats up to excessive temperatures while yelling about the charger not providing enough power to the phone.

I give up. unless someone here knows a thing or two about Evo3D backlight issues

So:

Should I just get a cheaper android phone (Galaxy Nexus or below) and wait to use my upgrade on something amazing, when it's more likely they will have upgraded SF Bay enough to reach me? Or just go all the way and get the best LTE hotness right now (Evo LTE? Galaxy S3)?

I'd get a galaxy nexus (you need the sprint version just to clarify) amd hang out for a bit if you can get a good used price for one. It'll be n upgrade from that phone anyway.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

uapyro posted:

I'm about to add a new line to my account; is there anything stopping me from going to Best Buy, getting a new individual line, and then in a few weeks converting it to a family share plan? I noticed the prices are much better for new individual lines online at Amazon/other places, and that's how my account is set now currently at 2 individual lines.

That's kind of what I just did yesterday. I changed my sero premium plan to a family plan at a corporate store, because of sero. Then I went to Costco, upgraded my phone and added a new line, getting the promo prices for the phones in the process.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I don't know if this kind of talk is froened upon here but I have a question regarding flashing a Verizon PRL to get kicked off of Sprint early.

So I know how to do the flash and what files to have, but I was wondering if Sprint would do something like block the ESN on your phone for doing all this roaming or something. I mostly ask this because I want to sell the phone to help pay for a Nexus 4 to use on Straight Talk, but I can wait a bit and pay off my ETF in a few weeks as well.

I really want to get off Sprint ASAP because I can barely make phone calls or do anything properly with my phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stumpalitious posted:

I don't know if this kind of talk is froened upon here but I have a question regarding flashing a Verizon PRL to get kicked off of Sprint early.

So I know how to do the flash and what files to have, but I was wondering if Sprint would do something like block the ESN on your phone for doing all this roaming or something. I mostly ask this because I want to sell the phone to help pay for a Nexus 4 to use on Straight Talk, but I can wait a bit and pay off my ETF in a few weeks as well.

I really want to get off Sprint ASAP because I can barely make phone calls or do anything properly with my phone.

As long as you pay the remainder of your bill your ESN won't get blocked so you will be fine.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
They will cancel your account if you use too much roaming data and/or roaming minutes.

They will typically not charge an ETF, since they are cancelling your contract.

So long as you pay your last bill, you will keep whatever device you have and they will not put an ESN block on it.

There have been no reports of ESN blockages from using roaming PRLs on Sprint.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

yellowjournalism posted:

So:

I'll sell you my 3d with ext battery and otter-box..

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Duckman2008 posted:

As long as you pay the remainder of your bill your ESN won't get blocked so you will be fine.

Another couple questions that came to me. I am on a family plan. Will they just cancel my line or will they cancel the entire plan? Also I assume I will lose my phone number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

chemosh6969 posted:

td4guy posted:

I have this same problem. Last week I called 888-882-4030 to purchase the phone and specifically asked if I can upgrade without losing SERO plan and was directly told, yes, but only from the phone number 800-927-2199. I had multiple reps from the website and in store tell me otherwise so I'd say go with those numbers as a start.