Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Koramei posted:

I think there would be a bit of an outcry if they used the Shogun 2 campaign map units in the Rome 2 campaign, so I don't think you have to worry there.

"It isn't a Yari Samurai, it is a Celt. See? different hat...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jerusalem posted:

The computer now just masses all of its units into a giant ball and sends them charging directly at the opposite army, the General constantly blasting his horn the entire way :haw:

You know, if the general is particularly poo poo and it's a tribe or something, this wouldn't even be terrible behaviour. It'd be really bad if it happened over and over again, ofcourse, but I can see it work.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

You know, if the general is particularly poo poo and it's a tribe or something, this wouldn't even be terrible behaviour. It'd be really bad if it happened over and over again, ofcourse, but I can see it work.

If the AI did it every once in a while it could be quite interesting, I can totally see a human players carefully arranged army being smashed if the AI just bumrushes them.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A good AI would be cool, certainly. What I want most is them to find voice actors that aren't total poo poo. That'd be nice.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

A good AI would be cool, certainly. What I want most is them to find voice actors that aren't total poo poo. That'd be nice.

If I had to choose between voice actors and gameplay, I'd choose gameplay.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Which is why I didn't say I only wanted that! It's just something that's always made me laugh/cringe.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJPce-e_zU

What are you talking about.

Actually though I quite like the voice acting in all the games. How comical it can sometimes be doesn't bother me nearly as much as the over the top gruffness of most games. Them not speaking the language correctly in Shogun 2 is my only problem with it.

After Medieval 2 especially it gets pretty reasonable?

edit: I even liked the greek announcer :haw:

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 25, 2013

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Koramei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJJPce-e_zU

What are you talking about.

Actually though I quite like the voice acting in all the games. How comical it can sometimes be doesn't bother me nearly as much as the over the top gruffness of most games. Them not speaking the language correctly in Shogun 2 is my only problem with it.

After Medieval 2 especially it gets pretty reasonable?

edit: I even liked the greek announcer :haw:

I was actually disappointed that the general speeches in S2 weren't in English. It was entertaining as gently caress in Rome that all of the generals sounded like they were starring in Gladiator.

"UNITS! AWAIT MY ORDERS!"

While in S2 the generals just kind of drone on.

Some of the units were pretty fun though. "ONNA BUSHI!" "Tono! Sessha no meirei wa?"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I've never got in a position to fight a battle with Onna Bushi, it's very disapointing.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've never got in a position to fight a battle with Onna Bushi, it's very disapointing.

If you want to give Radious' unit pack a try it lets you recruit them. It's a little overpowered, but I hadn't used them either before that. I think they have completely unique voice lines from the warrior nuns and such; funny that they have such a minor role in the base game.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Darthmod spawns Onna Bushi as garrison units for Castles as well as Citadels, so you actually have a chance of using them and getting that achievement. They're pretty great defending walls.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Pretty sure Onna Bushis spawn at either tier 3 or 4 in vanilla. I've used them before when I was nowhere near Epic Architecture.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
This doesn't really bear any relevance to TotalWar other than I found it on the TotalWar Reddit but I thought it was really interesting and very well done so maybe think of this next time you see your little men fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tomn posted:

Isn't AI considered to be probably the single hardest thing to make properly in computer programming?

I mean, if it was easy, we'd probably already be shooting the poo poo with HAL.

It's hard as balls, i know that, which is why i made a joke about simply copy pasting not terrible human MP behaviour. It would be better than the "march forwards in a line and see how it goes" or "just stand still, no one move!" that describes most of the AI's moves.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Mans posted:

It's hard as balls, i know that, which is why i made a joke about simply copy pasting not terrible human MP behaviour.

unfortunately, it doesn't work like that.

I loved switching from boosted garrisons to regular garrisons in Darth depending on whether I was defending or attacking.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I really hope the music for Rome 2 is just as good as Rome's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC-uATAqSo8

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

achillesforever6 posted:

There was a snippet of it in a snapshot or something a while back and ... I'm really not hopeful. The composer they've got is better technically, but it seems like he can't do anything that isn't orchestral. It worked well for Empire and Napoleon, it won't for any other periods. The music in Rome and Shogun 2 may not be perfectly composed but it was extremely characterful and distinct, and I'm pretty sure Rome 2 is going to lack that. Hopefully there'll be a lot of stuff drawn from the original soundtrack though, like the motif at the end of the live action trailer was.

I do wish they'd gotten Jeff Van Dyck back, I wonder why they didn't. He sort of goes hand in hand with Total War games.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 26, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

achillesforever6 posted:

I just love that Rome's pre-battle music was straight up called "Time 2 Kill".

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

concerned mom posted:

This doesn't really bear any relevance to TotalWar other than I found it on the TotalWar Reddit but I thought it was really interesting and very well done so maybe think of this next time you see your little men fighting.

That was really cool, thanks for sharing!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

concerned mom posted:

I would love to hear this man's theories on why there were so few shields in Asia (the discussion we had a few weeks back) if they were similarly related to the how and why of combat and not simply from throwing culture out as a blanket statement/explanation.

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009
Dont know is this has been shared here yet but anyways. 3 new pics.

http://imgur.com/a/JO4bC

Teutoburg map, agents? and battlescene

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Carolus posted:

Dont know is this has been shared here yet but anyways. 3 new pics.

http://imgur.com/a/JO4bC

Teutoburg map, agents? and battlescene

The first one is talking about the tactical map. It says enemy units show up on it only if they're not hidden or are in line of sight and you won't be able to see enemy troops at all on it on the toughest difficulty. I guess the tactical map is just a more detailed minimap because you can't use it to order your troops around.

The second one talks about how battles are still going to be the focus of Rome 2 but agents are going to "be key" for the campaign side and there will be three agent archetypes for each faction: officers, priests and spies/explorers. Each faction is going to have different agent skill trees, saying specifically a Greek priest is going to be different than a Roman one.

It also says there's a "new camera" that you can place above your unit to watch them go into the fight at a closer zoom but I'm pretty sure you could do that in every total war game with the delete/insert keys.

The last one just describes Teutorborg.

Carolus
Dec 21, 2009
Ok, I wonder how the "officer" agent is used?

About the camera, I belive its a little different than earlier games in that before you just followed the unit overhead but in Rome2 they have said that you can follow a particular soldier and see it through his eyes with emotion, sound etc that he would experience in such a situation.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Carolus posted:

Probably something like the foreign veterans in FoTS. Shogun 2's expansions really took away from the clear-cut agent roles of the previous games.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am really looking forward to the new priestly agents, especially if/when Christianity becomes a major force in the expansion DLC's. Can anyone else see turning the Christians to worshipping Wodnez?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Carolus posted:

About the camera, I belive its a little different than earlier games in that before you just followed the unit overhead but in Rome2 they have said that you can follow a particular soldier and see it through his eyes with emotion, sound etc that he would experience in such a situation.

You could already do a first person view by hitting insert, if the dude was a cav you would see his horse as if you were FPS riding it. Pretty cool I guess but I wish CA would stop focusing on all this close in poo poo, I've probably zoomed in to watch the 1v1 fighting maybe a dozen times over the course of the series. I would much rather they focus on having the game look the greatest from the overview than on the ground level. Sick2Nasty motion cap synch kills and all that are cute but it limits the performance and I hate how the game just cuts units into lovely looking sprites after x many units are on screen even on max settings. I realize they can limit this with intelligent use of LOD but it seems like every game in the series has gotten lazier and lazier with LOD and instead just puts more units into sprites that look like trash.

Koramei posted:

Probably something like the foreign veterans in FoTS. Shogun 2's expansions really took away from the clear-cut agent roles of the previous games.

For those of us that never played S2 expansions can you elaborate on how they mixed up the agent types/roles?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 27, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Captain Beans posted:

For those of us that never played S2 expansions can you elaborate on how they mixed up the agent types/roles?

God I don't even remember the specifics of all of the FoTS units (I didn't play that campaign nearly so much as vanilla and rise) but I'll give it a go; although that I can't remember should be some indication of how muddy it got. And I'm not necessarily complaining about this either, it's nice to have multi-purpose agents.

But let's compare the agents as the series progresses.

In Rome, you have three (right? I think): Diplomat, Spy and Assassin. Diplomat is for talking to other factions and buying towns and armies, spy is for spying, assassin is for assassinating. They all have those particular roles, and while planting spies in cities can potentially remove a town from play just like diplomats, they don't really overlap at all. In Medieval 2, they add the Merchant and Priest. Every one of these agents, except for the one particularly intended for killing, can interact with their role, another of the same agent, and nothing else.

compare that to vanilla Shogun 2:

Priest/Monk, Ninja, Metsuke, Geisha. Every one of these is able to take every other out of play. This is, I believe, the case for all the Shogun 2 units except FoTS Geishas and RoTS Shirabyoshis (who are functionally identical to FoTS Geishas I think). So they all have effective assassin roles; not to mention the vanilla Geisha doesn't perform any role the Ninja can't. In vanilla Priest/Monk and Metsuke also both have direct anti-town roles; in RoTS monk and shirabyoshi literally do the exact same thing to armies (and the ninja-equivalent might be able to too, I've actually never gotten one); in FoTS there are I believe imperial and shogunate agents that are functionally identical, and foreign veterans that can assassinate just like the FoTS Shinobi.

Basically, while the agents all have a specific role only they can perform, so it's not like they're all the same, there is a great deal of redundancy.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The two FotS police units (Ishin Shishi for the Empire and the Shinsengumi for the Shogunate) while similar actually do have minor differences. The Ishin Shishi, when embedded in an army, "instill fervor" which improves charge bonus while the Shinsengumi "instills discipline" and increases melee defense. The city action is nominally different, with the Ishin Shishi doing something like "inpire populace" while the Shinsengumi "supresses dissent." I don't know if they're functionally different. I think both increase happiness based on the level of support for your faction and I think suppress dissent counts as repression while inspire populace doesn't.

The foreign agent is pretty interesting since his actions are to reduce recruitment costs in provinces and cities, slowly build experience for your troops in armies and cities, and assassinate and sabotage armies like a ninja. I don't remember what his enemy city action is, if he has any. My favorite bit about foreign agents is that yellow fever causes them to be especially vulnerable to seduction by geisha.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Koramei posted:

Yeah, people often seem to miss that. The Total War AI could certainly be improved, and in Empire it was pretty inexcusable, but for most of the series it's really not that bad, all things considered. Like, the only RTS ever with AI that doesn't obviously cheat is Starcraft 2, and that was in development for like 10 years by the wealthiest game studio ever.

The AI in Rome and Medieval 2 was trash as well. Rome AI specifically could have just rolled dice on the strategic map and been more convincing. On the tactical map it would bug out, get caught on terrain, charge stupidly etc all the time. The AI in the original shogun and medieval were more convincing to me because they were generally more constrained (the strategic map was just 2d provinces and tactical maps were relatively simple). The main improvements in the AI since Rome have mostly been in bringing back more constraint, strategic maps have been getting progressively smaller and "tighter" with each iteration, the tactical map AI seems to be at least somewhat more reasonable with its attack/defense and can deal with terrain a little better. The marginal improvements seen each iteration are pretty disappointing when you consider how long they've been working on this series, although I consider Shogun2 to be the best balanced and most fun of the series since the first 2 games.

TheNakedFantastic fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 27, 2013

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

shalcar posted:

I just assumed the post was sarcastic, because AI programming is by far the most complicated and difficult software to write, especially when you figure in the capacity constraints that the system is under (making choices in a split second).

I can not overstate how difficult AI is to program and create due to the unbelievably large phase space and the ingrained problems with fuzzy logic. If you want an idea of the scope of the problem, imagine you had to reduce a situation down to a yes or no question.

The starting question is "What do I do with this swordsman unit?"

Of course, this ignores the fundamental problem for a game AI, which is not to win, but to be fun to play. This complicates it immensely. It's no fun to fight an opponent who camps all the time, even if camping is the optimum choice. Of course, you want it to camp *sometimes* when an attack would be suicide, or if they are defending. But how often and when?

The AI won't have the luxury of a balanced army a lot of the time, so it needs to be able to handle lopsided armies of a myriad of compositions, making any AI streamlining exceptionally difficult.

It's a ludicrously difficult task because the scope is too large for perfect accuracy, so you have to make assumptions to simplify the sums, your pathfinding options are too large so you have to simplify the difficulty (climbable castle walls anyone?) and your army composition too variable to cheat on available responses (AI upgrading Ashigaru into Samurai, namely Katana so it has a melee component).

If you understand the difficulties of AI programming, you really begin to see all the little changes that were made to make the AI's job easier and so it can spend less time on working out how to get around the castle wall and more time on if now is the best time for that flanking cavalry charge.

With respect to the gentleman talking about Starcraft 2, it's got very little to do with the money or quality of the studio and everything to do with how easy it is to the sums.

In Starcraft 2, the information available is small enough that the computer can calculate perfectly combat matchups and know if it will win or not (as it only has a dozen or so units to calculate, even the biggest matchups barely break 60) and as the battlefield is also the production arena, it can dynamically reroute production on the fly for what it needs to counter the enemy units. It's orders of magnitude smaller in scope than what the Total War AI has to do, which is why it's able to not cheat. Contrast this with Total War where if you have a cavalry heavy army and the AI has gone archer heavy, it can't just withdraw and produce some spearmen to counter, it has to try to make that army work. A Starcraft 2 AI on the other hand, can just withdraw and regroup unless you can force a matchup (In this case by being faster.).
That's true, but the tactical stuff is actually the only semi decent part of the AI. Small studios were making better diplomacy and strategic AI more than a decade ago. It really feels like Creative Assembly knows they can get by with just throwing the same broken AI in game after game since the series has continued selling well regardless of how broken certain layers of the AI are. At least with Empire and Shogun 2 though they caught on to designing aspects of the game to cover for the AIs deficiency's.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
In shogun is there any specific way to reliably get your units to charge? It seems like most of the times when my troops engage they don't say "Charging" or anything like that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Affi posted:

In shogun is there any specific way to reliably get your units to charge? It seems like most of the times when my troops engage they don't say "Charging" or anything like that.

Double right click the enemy with the selected unit, make sure your melee option is turned on and formations off.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What do formations actually do anyway? I'm a pretty bad Shogun 2 player but every time I try to put my army in formation it just puts them near each other and doesn't seem to convey a numerical or tactical bonus.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Actually, what specifically does guard mode actually do? Whens the best time to leave it on/turn it off? Playing Med 2 at the moment, SS mod.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Rabhadh posted:

Actually, what specifically does guard mode actually do? Whens the best time to leave it on/turn it off? Playing Med 2 at the moment, SS mod.

Makes them not chase enemy units. It's worthwhile during siege defenses so your guys don't run outside the walls.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
I find guard mode most useful when running away, so that they actually keep going and leave stragglers rather than committing to a fight with 200 men because one person got caught.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Use it too when trying to maneuver around an enemy unit but you don't have the space to pull it off without bumping into them. With guard mode off your unit will stop and attack theirs as soon as they touch but with guard mode on they'll keep running.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Brannock posted:

What do formations actually do anyway? I'm a pretty bad Shogun 2 player but every time I try to put my army in formation it just puts them near each other and doesn't seem to convey a numerical or tactical bonus.

Formations confer no bonus. They're just premade organizations for you. I think most people just make their own. You can lock a group of units into their current formation by grouping them with G.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

TheNakedFantastic posted:

That's true, but the tactical stuff is actually the only semi decent part of the AI. Small studios were making better diplomacy and strategic AI more than a decade ago. It really feels like Creative Assembly knows they can get by with just throwing the same broken AI in game after game since the series has continued selling well regardless of how broken certain layers of the AI are. At least with Empire and Shogun 2 though they caught on to designing aspects of the game to cover for the AIs deficiency's.

Explain to me these small amazing studios who were making good diplomatic and strategic AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Panzeh posted:

Explain to me these small amazing studios who were making good diplomatic and strategic AI.

Rose Coloured Glass Studios, I think.