Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

closeted republican posted:

If anyone gets this, I would highly recommend you use the 227 patch on Unreal Gold. 227 allows you to connect to all of the servers (DM and Coop) out there without any problems, fixes tons of bugs, includes a new editor that works in 64-bit OSes and is a lot less crash-happy than the original one, makes it possible to run almost all of the mods and maps out there (except for some that were made in really early versions of Unreal) and has a fix that lets you play RtNP in coop mode.

So other than the DX11 renderer in the OP what other Unreal mods should I use? Is there a recommended texture or model pack or anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yup.

Wait, "and it's coming to N64"? What were Next smoking?
Well, a PS1 version was in the works until they realised just how much of a technical impossibility it was, so an N64 version probably was on the table at one point.

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

What were Next smoking?

I also like the fact that they preemptively added the M2 to their list of systems at the top of the cover when not only was it not released yet, it never would be.

Some of those rumors they "investigated" are interesting to read looking back though-

"Has anyone ever died playing a video game?" "Are U.S. marines trained on Doom?" "Is a U.S. Senator trying to ban all video games?"

Now we have at least one person (I think in South Korea?) who did actually die in an Internet cafe playing Counter-Strike, the U.S. army went on to develop a tactical FPS, and parts of Congress would still like to ban video games they think are linked to youth violence. I guess some things don't change.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheMammoth posted:

I also like the fact that they preemptively added the M2 to their list of systems at the top of the cover when not only was it not released yet, it never would be.

Oh man, I never even noticed that. God bless Matsushita.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

TheMammoth posted:

Some of those rumors they "investigated" are interesting to read looking back though-

"Has anyone ever died playing a video game?" "Are U.S. marines trained on Doom?" "Is a U.S. Senator trying to ban all video games?"

Now we have at least one person (I think in South Korea?) who did actually die in an Internet cafe playing Counter-Strike, the U.S. army went on to develop a tactical FPS, and parts of Congress would still like to ban video games they think are linked to youth violence. I guess some things don't change.

Yeah, that was the one and only NEXT issue I owned. I remember some of the other rumors included one about all of those ET cartridges being buried in the desert, and something about Pac-Man originally being called "Puck Man" (which was changed because of how easily it was vandalized). It was like a golden age of bullshit, when the internet wasn't quite a useful tool to debunking rumors, so everything seemed so mysterious.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, that was the one and only NEXT issue I owned. I remember some of the other rumors included one about all of those ET cartridges being buried in the desert, and something about Pac-Man originally being called "Puck Man" (which was changed because of how easily it was vandalized). It was like a golden age of bullshit, when the internet wasn't quite a useful tool to debunking rumors, so everything seemed so mysterious.

Guess they did a job coming up with convincing rumors if people who have NEVER heard of Next know about them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

xanthan posted:

Guess they did a job coming up with convincing rumors if people who have NEVER heard of Next know about them.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that back in the day, things seemed so much more mysterious when we had to rely on magazines to explain/debunk our rumors. Nowadays, none of those 21 "rumors" would be particularly mysterious or interesting because you could Google search and read about any of them in like 10 seconds.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

So other than the DX11 renderer in the OP what other Unreal mods should I use? Is there a recommended texture or model pack or anything else?

Just as an FYI, the DX 11 renderer isn't compatible with 227. However, 227 does come with a DX 9 renderer, which works just fine. I've been using it and I've had zero problems.

There are some high-res texture packs over at http://www.unrealtexture.com/Unreal/Website/Downloads/Textures/HighEnd/StockUnreal/UnrealHighEnd.htm. Not all of the textures have been made high-res yet, so you'll occasionally see some stock textures mixed in with the new ones in a level.

If you plan on playing co-op, pick up JCoopZ and MonsterCoop, if only to save yourself the trouble of having to download them when you join a server.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 25, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TheMammoth posted:

The U.S. Marines were trained on Doom!

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

closeted republican posted:

Just as an FYI, the DX 11 renderer isn't compatible with 227. However, 227 does come with a DX 9 renderer, which works just fine. I've been using it and I've had zero problems.

Also a good OpenGL renderer. I think last time I played it that's what I used; it seemed to have brightness/colors that matched what I remembered from the original.

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

That's really interesting, as is the wiki entry, albeit succinct.

quote:

The DeHackEd patch provided limits player health to 20, making the player extremely vulnerable to the enemies' hitscan attacks. The pistol is replaced by a rifle with a magazine capacity of 30 bullets (60 with a backpack), the shotgun with a powerful machine gun, and the rocket launcher with grenades (the grenade projectile looks like health potions and is affected by gravity)... Things that correspond to vegetation (the burnt tree, twisted tree, and spike stump) have been made shootable and can be used as cover from enemy fire.

Minus the grenade projectiles looking like health potion sprites, many of those revisions sound a lot like "realistic" FPS today (Counter-Strike, Far Cry in certain modes; sorry if my references are outdated, my computer can't play anything past HL2), in that they added 1-hit kills, the ability to hide behind objects in your environment which could also be destroyed, multiple character classes with different health/ammo capacities, cooperative multiplayer objectives, and so on. I don't think much of that was in the vanilla Doom? Thanks for the link.

Edit: Out of idle hope, any ideas for fixing the OpenGl .dll error that comes up with some Q3 mods (Urban Terror specifically)? It also happens with technically non-FPS games like Jedi Knight II. Pasting the .dll into the game directory, the most commonly reported fix, does not seem to work.

TheMammoth fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 25, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

The Kins posted:

Well, a PS1 version was in the works until they realised just how much of a technical impossibility it was, so an N64 version probably was on the table at one point.

Remember that the N64 really had some "impressive" 3d hardware. It wound up getting the Turok series, Goldeneye, Daikatana, and Quake II. DMA (AKA Rockstar North) was handling the port, and given they'd just made Body Harvest from the ground up, it seemed they'd be up to the job.

Its actually a testament to how loving good Carmack's codec is that Quake 2 was able to run on platforms like the 64, because as elegant as Unreal engine 1 is, it had to be beaten soundly with a stick just to get it going on the PS2.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Red_Mage posted:

Remember that the N64 really had some "impressive" 3d hardware.

The N64's hardware is absolute garbage and could hardly handle textures larger than a pinhead. It had a processor speed that could bludgeon other consoles of its time, but that's about all it had going for it. It could pump out more polygons at a slightly higher resolution than the Playstation and that's about it.

It did have some strange features though, like a GPU and SPU combined into a single chip (:confused:).

Red_Mage posted:

It wound up getting the Turok series, Goldeneye, and Quake II.

Turok 1 had low polygon count with decent texture resolution. Goldeneye had decent polygon count with awful texture resolution. Turok 2 had both high polygon count and high texture resolution and as a consequence could not run at a consistent framerate above 15fps.

(I left Daikatana out because I have never played either version of it)

Red_Mage posted:

Its actually a testament to how loving good Carmack's codec is that Quake 2 was able to run on platforms like the 64

You could say this, but have you ever seen the N64 version of Quake II? Calling it a hackjob would be a massive understatement.

DISCLAIMER: I am not hating on the N64. I own one and love it and it produced some of my favorite games ever, including Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and (before I got the PC version) the original Quake. I'm just saying the hardware wasn't the greatest thing on earth that gave its developers a huge headache, from what I hear.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 25, 2013

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I believe Turok 2 was the game that benefited the most from the expansion pack thing for the N64, the little red thing you put inside the console itself. What exactly did that do, anyways?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Geight posted:

I believe Turok 2 was the game that benefited the most from the expansion pack thing for the N64, the little red thing you put inside the console itself. What exactly did that do, anyways?

It was a RAM upgrade, more or less. There were a couple of games that wouldn't run without it (most famously Perfect Dark and Majora's Mask).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Geight posted:

Increased the usable system RAM from 4MB to a whopping 8MB! Considered to be a ridiculous amount for consoles at the time, actually.

Even so, playing Turok 2 with its additional features (it increased both texture and display resolution) did not improve performance, though playing it on standard resolution probably did when you had the pak.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The only thing I remember about the N64 are games being a blurry mess and developers not knowing how to make controls that came even close to working with those weird little yellow buttons. Man I hated those things.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Geight posted:

It gave the system more memory to work with. It actually made stuff like Perfect Dark possible.

Mak0rz posted:

DISCLAIMER: I am not hating on the N64. I own one and love it and it produced some of my favorite games ever, including Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and (before I got the PC version) the original Quake. I'm just saying the hardware wasn't the greatest thing on earth that gave its developers a huge headache, from what I hear.

Yeah of course. That's why "impressive" was in quotes. Its just pretty easy to see why it wasn't unfeasible for someone to think they'd bring Unreal to the 64. Turok 3 though, for the record, had bearable slowdown and looked FANTASTIC. Also Daikatana 64 is interesting. They cut all the bots which actually made the game better, but then they added the omnipresent layer of fog that Turok 1 had and welp. The only console at the time that had hardware that wasn't a madman's fever dream in some fashion was the 3DO.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Well SGI was stupid and decided to make the area of RAM accessible for caching textures very small on the N64. That's the only reason textures ended up having to be blurry, it would otherwise have been capable of a lot better.

The system was designed with 4 kilobyte, as in, 4096 bytes, cache space for textures. There were ways to work around this that showed up in some of the last produced N64 games, but that's why textures were blurry, they were small to fit in there and then blown up in rendering.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yup.

Wait, "and it's coming to N64"? What were Next smoking?
Heh, I just love the 'PC CD-ROM' part of the magazine's title. Just hearing that word throws up a fuckton of Nostalgia, back when games had multiple discs and all PCs sounded like Jets taking off when you put a CD-ROM in :allears:

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Jblade posted:

Heh, I just love the 'PC CD-ROM' part of the magazine's title. Just hearing that word throws up a fuckton of Nostalgia, back when games had multiple discs and all PCs sounded like Jets taking off when you put a CD-ROM in :allears:

My PC had a turbo button and therefor was a jet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But what was its MPC level?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Did it have an MMX processor?

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Yes, but it didn't support SSE which was just loads of fun. "Hey download this patch if you have a Duron, and by patch we mean list of raw hex values on the EXE we want you to edit"

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Jehde posted:

I successfully installed Infiltration mod for UT99 for the first time recently. It's an amazing TC mod if you're into the whole tactical tryhard thing. Crazy amount of depth to it, especially for a UT99 mod. I could never get it working for the longest time, but I found installing PsyTex makes it work without issue.
I loved Infiltration even though I only played it with bots. I still haven't seen the type of accuracy modeled into the manual of arms of the weapons that the mod had.

It blew me away that you could empty your pistol, then put it away without reloading, and your guy would drop the slide empty. When you pulled it out again and reloaded it, he would work the slide to chamber a round. Loved that detail.

I remember playing it before it got very involved and just had a handful of pistols and long guns but no GUI makeover or anything. I'd fire it up on that low-g rooftop map in a bot free-for-all were everybody only had one life and try to be the last man standing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

Ha, I remember the Intel ads with the guys in colored "bunny suits" to show how cool the MMX processor was. MultiMedia eXtensions. Just "multimedia" is a blast from the nineties in itself. Everything had to be an interactive multimedia CD-ROM.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

What the hell is a turbo button? Also I got the unreal deal a few years ago, before Direct2drive folded, is unreal 2 worth playing?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

xanthan posted:

What the hell is a turbo button?

Good to see this thread gaining the attention of today's youth!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

xanthan posted:

What the hell is a turbo button?

A button that originally was meant to slow a computer for programs that needed original IBM PC speed to work right, then later became a button that was till included on cases and attached to an indicator, but actually did nothing.

Seriously past about 1992 or so, all the turbo button would do is change a light on a case or sometimes change a faux speed readout. IT wasn't hooked up to the CPU or anything anymore.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

xanthan posted:

is unreal 2 worth playing?
No. I played it from start to finish in 2003 and thought it wasn't that bad, and that it was actually a good idea of what 18-year-old me considered a "next-gen" game to be. I tried reinstalling it last year for nostalgia's sake, and hated the fact that everything just feels so friggin' twitchy.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

xanthan posted:

What the hell is a turbo button? Also I got the unreal deal a few years ago, before Direct2drive folded, is unreal 2 worth playing?

I've said it before but, for me, Unreal 2 marks the end of a generation of FPS games that included Quake, Unreal, and Duke 3D. It tried really hard to convince the player that, despite all of the imagination the IP allowed, and all of the creativity that was permissible in the industry at the time, the real stars of the show were firefights with endless mercenary outfits. If you play the game, you'll spot really promising bits and pieces--different, colorful environments, several kinds of passive wildlife, a bizarre endgame setpiece, a living goddamned planet--but the gameplay itself is packed full of boring base defense missions and endless battles with human opponents. Insult to injury, judging from the concept material, so many amazing things were cut out or cancelled before they got anywhere.

Unreal 2 really is a game that begs the question, "Why did they choose to make something so pedestrian?" The original had you as a prisoner crash-landing on a loving alien planet, fighting strange creatures with an interesting multi-functional arsenal. The sequel was like some sort of protean Call of Duty.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Insult to injury, judging from the concept material, so many amazing things were cut out or cancelled before they got anywhere.
My favourite "things that never made it into Unreal 2" moment was the idea of having goo monsters that could ooze through and around closed doors to pursue you. That's not even a thing now, is it?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Should I start the Dark Forces series with the first game or has it not aged well enough?

Also that goomonster(why did my phone make it Goon instead?) sounds pretty cool.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 26, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oh, nice! That Resident Evil 4: Mercenaries mod is out for Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdugkw30mPg

Download links in the Youtube description.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zero Star posted:

My favourite "things that never made it into Unreal 2" moment was the idea of having goo monsters that could ooze through and around closed doors to pursue you. That's not even a thing now, is it?
Valve did a bunch of experiments into a particle goo monster that'd intelligently reform and recollect the parts of it that you blew off a few years back, but they never found an actual use for it. I think they reused that tech for the Portal 2 goopy paint effects?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Install Gentoo posted:

A button that originally was meant to slow a computer for programs that needed original IBM PC speed to work right

That's the thing I loved the most about it. Naming a slow-down button "turbo".

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

The Kins posted:

Valve did a bunch of experiments into a particle goo monster that'd intelligently reform and recollect the parts of it that you blew off a few years back, but they never found an actual use for it. I think they reused that tech for the Portal 2 goopy paint effects?
The thing is, I remember this being advertised as a feature in Unreal 2 before it came out. I think it was PlanetUnreal that did most of the hyping. Sadly archive.org only lets me go back to 2006 for that site or I'd try to dig the actual previews for Unreal 2 out. It happened when I was 17 and I remember buying into the hype machine and becoming really excited at this awesome game that would redefine the boundaries for a first-person-shooter. I then remember being very disappointed at all the stuff from the previews that got left out.

So I guess you can say that Unreal 2 is the game that taught me never to buy into preview hype. :shobon:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The Kins posted:

Really? Goddamned it. I know you're not necessarily suggesting that this enemy was intended for Half-Life 2, but it reminds me that I feel very similarly about Unreal 2 and Half-Life 2. They were both sequels to really impressive games, each had a phonebook of cut material that, if implemented, would have probably made them much closer to their prequels, and the final products focused on the weaker aspects of the original games--specifically combat with human opponents using a significantly gutted and unsatisfying arsenal.

Half-Life 2's weapons--lacking many of the interesting weapons from the original--was painfully dull, 80% of the enemies were just Combine foot soldiers, and virtually every alien life-form from the original was cut out except for headcrabs and barnacles. Where's the Gluon Gun? The (portable) Tau Cannon? The Snarks? The houndeyes and Gargantuas and Icthyosaurs and all of the other interesting Xen spillover? Sure they got nuked, but those stupid alien leeches got to the ocean somehow. Where's the new poo poo that we didn't get a chance to see in the original? Ant-Lions? Really?

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Hey, there was an ichthyosaur for like a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Beef Assistant posted:

Hey, there was an ichthyosaur for like a second.

Haha, that's what kills me the most, is that I think they have them fully modeled, animated, and coded in the game. But they still chose alien leeches as the artificial boundary when swimming. Do you realize how fast I would jump out of the water if I knew that the ocean was teeming with Icthyosaurs?! So fast.