Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

porktree posted:

Do none of you have cameras?

Oh, I do. Me and the nifty fifty can visit one of the morning espresso sessions this week maybe. No promises though. My mornings are hectic before getting out the door to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

porktree posted:

Do none of you have cameras?

I can slowly fill this thread up with my latte art I guess! Tt's fun as poo poo to pour and get snobby over.

and thanks to an interstate instagram latte art battle,

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Whalley posted:

I can slowly fill this thread up with my latte art I guess! Tt's fun as poo poo to pour and get snobby over.

and thanks to an interstate instagram latte art battle,

That is awsome. I really like what you did to that portafilter.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Anyone know of a Sweet Maria's sort of webstore based in Canada?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Roasted my second half pound with the heat gun/dog bowl and.. hands down my best roast ever!

Solid first crack and a little past second crack in just under 15mins, so nice to be able to knock out a half pound+ at a time.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 26, 2013

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
From this....

...this...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My "3" cup French press, should I set the timer for 3 or 4 minutes?

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

My "3" cup French press, should I set the timer for 3 or 4 minutes?

Depends on grind size and water temp. Start out with 3.5 and see what works, longer if it's too acidic, shorter if it's too bitter (and maybe cooler water).

Monkahchi
Apr 29, 2012

Fresh Chops!
I'm not ashamed, I'm a Starbucks fan, but not Costa or Nero's (for reference, I'm in the UK). That said, I don't get amazing coffee like I've experienced in Europe, or small independent shops in the USA. Does anyone know of a good small outlet/chain in the UK? or if not, an inexpensive way to get a consistently good espresso/cappuccino, we have pretty good home machine, but its just not the same as from a coffee shop with a high pressure machine.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

mich posted:

Anyone know of a Sweet Maria's sort of webstore based in Canada?

https://www.greenbeanery.ca

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Monkahchi posted:

I'm not ashamed, I'm a Starbucks fan, but not Costa or Nero's (for reference, I'm in the UK). That said, I don't get amazing coffee like I've experienced in Europe, or small independent shops in the USA. Does anyone know of a good small outlet/chain in the UK? or if not, an inexpensive way to get a consistently good espresso/cappuccino, we have pretty good home machine, but its just not the same as from a coffee shop with a high pressure machine.

Where in the UK? Because there is plenty of good coffee in any big city in the western world; off-hand, I know there is Dose in East London, as well as a bunch of places with awful/amazing names, but I've never been to the UK before. Try searching Google for "third wave coffee" then your location.

Taalib
May 5, 2011

Monkahchi posted:

There are quite a few good places to check out in London, see: http://www.thirdwavecoffeeapp.com/alpha/category/london and http://www.worldbaristachampionship.com/2010-london-coffee-map.html

If you are looking to buy beans Square Mile roast in the east of London and supply a number of the best cafes in London.

Taalib fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 26, 2013

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I really don't understand the Keurig hate in the original post. Normal people don't have time to roast their own beans and use a French press. The Keurig takes all of the hassle out of making coffee and it's consistently good, far better tasting than anything from a cheap drip machine. Literally everyone I know in real life has ditched their old coffee machines and gotten Keurigs. In fact I came into this thread hoping to see if anyone had any recommendations for good k-cups. We're not all snooty coffee aficionados who have an hour to waste in the morning to make a cup of coffee.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Cmdrmonkey posted:

I really don't understand the Keurig hate in the original post. Normal people don't have time to roast their own beans and use a French press. The Keurig takes all of the hassle out of making coffee and it's consistently good, far better tasting than anything from a cheap drip machine. Literally everyone I know in real life has ditched their old coffee machines and gotten Keurigs. In fact I came into this thread hoping to see if anyone had any recommendations for good k-cups. We're not all snooty coffee aficionados who have an hour to waste in the morning to make a cup of coffee.

Well this will end well.

In an effort to remain constructive, I can assure you I do not spend an hour making coffee every morning. While I do roast my own coffee, I'd be just as happy to buy freshly roasted coffee from a local roaster. Anyways, here's my morning ruitine:

Wake up, stumble over to kitchen.
Put 3 scoops of beans into grinder
Grind at my preset level
Put coffee into coffee machine
Put water up to 6 line
Press start button
Go take my morning poo poo
Finish my morning poo poo
Coffee's done

If that makes me a snob, than :drat:

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I literally just drop a k-cup into a slot and press a button. I win.

And the coffee from my Keurig tastes as good as anything I've had. It amazes me that people still use some of these other horribly clunky, time consuming methods to make coffee. Are you all just hipsters who don't have jobs or something?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Cmdrmonkey posted:

And the coffee from my Keurig tastes as good as anything I've had. It amazes me that people still use some of these other horribly clunky, time consuming methods to make coffee. Are you all just hipsters who don't have jobs or something?

Weak troll. 3/10.

edit: And on the off chance that you seriously use kcups the joke's on you!

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
You guys still haven't addressed my original question. Why all of the Keurig hate? It's super convenient and makes good coffee.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Anything you buy in a K-Cup is already stale. It also costs $50/lb.

But hey, you can obviously afford it since you should be shortly out $30 in forums accounts.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 27, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Cmdrmonkey posted:

You had me with your first post, but lost me here.

Cmdrmonkey posted:

You guys still haven't addressed my original question. Why all of the Keurig hate? It's super convenient and makes good coffee.

It's bad. Like your trolling.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Bad how? It takes two seconds to make, has pretty much no cleanup, doesn't waste coffee, doesn't have a big pot that sits there and burns, and tastes good. I came into this thread expecting to see pretty much everyone using Keurigs, and was greeted by hipster douchebags using vintange 19th century coffee machines like something out of a Portlandia sketch. Do you guys just use that stuff so you can feel snooty and self satisfied or is the coffee really that much better?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I can assure you that a locally roasted, freshly ground coffee made with a drip machine will absolutely taste better than anything that comes from a Kuerig. No one is going to fight you on brew time here. You could however get a grinder and a filter cup and take 20 extra seconds and get better coffee. But you sound like that might be really stretching your patience so continue to not know what good coffee tastes like. Please though, if you ever see a local coffee roaster, go in there and ask them to do you a pourover and your life will be ruined.

Seriously though, it's part hobby part beverage, making people in here out to be hipsters because we enjoy the nuances of coffee is asinine. It takes 5 minutes to make a french press full of coffee, it's not like we're getting up an hour early for work here.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
My fiancé has a Keurig and is okay with it, but I think the coffee it makes tastes like poo poo. It's weak, watery, and just overall way shittier than what I get even out of our automatic drip (and that thing is a bit crappy itself). He's not as picky as I am when it comes to coffee, but I actually like to taste it and I've never had a good cup out of the Keurig.

Grinding coffee and tossing it in a machine doesn't take that much time. Even a French press isn't a lot of effort.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've had a Nespresso and a k-cup and both were just ok. My morning pour over takes about 5 minutes and tastes way better.

It takes about 2 minutes to boil the water, you can grind the beans during that time in 30 seconds. 3 minutes to do the pour over. I can understand wanting instant coffee in the workplace or whatever, but I can spare 5 minutes at home.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Speaking of morning coffee, if I'm trying to do pourover in the mornings, what's the most efficient/effortless way to do it?

I really do like drawing the time out and doing slow pours / bursts, but I don't have the time for that somestimes, yet I still want a good cup of coffee. Is there a method where I can just pour water all the way to the top and just forget about it while I get dressed or something?

Pourover (hario) is my favorite method for ease of cleanup and clean taste. I suppose aeropress is an option, but I don't really like it. Should I try the ABLE disks?

Fake edit: Just realized that this is pretty much the clever. Never had much luck with making good coffee out of it though. Any ratios/tips for the clever? Do I have to do the stir 1 minute in, as it seems to be a step in every CCD brew guide I've read?

Edit 2: I'm a really lazy morning person, I suppose.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have several different cones and you really do need to just pour a little at a time with all of them. Otherwise it will just fall through and you'll get less than a minute of brew time. I have a Bonmac ceramic cone that's easy to use because it has a tiny hole on the bottom but you still need to stand there and pour for about 2-3 minutes. You don't need to use much technique though so it's very easy.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Has anyone purchased this from sweetmarias? Since the shipping is as much as 2lbs, I was going to order 5 and begin my journey into home roasting with it.

Brazil Cerrado Fazenda No-Name-O - 5 lbs

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/brazil-cerrado-fazenda-no-name-o-5-lbs-3386.html

Thanks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Archer2338 posted:

Speaking of morning coffee, if I'm trying to do pourover in the mornings, what's the most efficient/effortless way to do it?

I really do like drawing the time out and doing slow pours / bursts, but I don't have the time for that somestimes, yet I still want a good cup of coffee. Is there a method where I can just pour water all the way to the top and just forget about it while I get dressed or something?

Pourover (hario) is my favorite method for ease of cleanup and clean taste. I suppose aeropress is an option, but I don't really like it. Should I try the ABLE disks?

Fake edit: Just realized that this is pretty much the clever. Never had much luck with making good coffee out of it though. Any ratios/tips for the clever? Do I have to do the stir 1 minute in, as it seems to be a step in every CCD brew guide I've read?

Edit 2: I'm a really lazy morning person, I suppose.

22grams coffee to 360 grams water.
Stir at 1:30 min in. Stir right before draining.

I wet the grounds.
30 seconds
dump the rest of the water
1:30
stir
3:58
stir
drain

nm fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 27, 2013

Loucks
May 21, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

Has anyone purchased this from sweetmarias? Since the shipping is as much as 2lbs, I was going to order 5 and begin my journey into home roasting with it.

Brazil Cerrado Fazenda No-Name-O - 5 lbs

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/brazil-cerrado-fazenda-no-name-o-5-lbs-3386.html

Thanks.

I found that I prefer to order a larger variety of 2-lb bags from SM than fewer bigger ones. Shipping is already expensive, so just order 10-15lbs at a time.

Edit: If you're just starting home roasting their sampler pack is great.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
I recently just got into home roasting as well with a popcorn popper, and have loved it so far. Takes 15-20 minutes to roast a weeks worth of coffee and I can get a bunch at once for much cheaper. How am I supposed to store my green beans? I just ordered three 1 lb bags but I plan on having more on hand, and I heard it may not be a good idea for long term storage in the plastic bags. Anyone recommend where to get any small burlap sacks or cloth bags for cheap? No luck at the local hardware or craft store. Thanks.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nosleep posted:

I recently just got into home roasting as well with a popcorn popper, and have loved it so far. Takes 15-20 minutes to roast a weeks worth of coffee and I can get a bunch at once for much cheaper. How am I supposed to store my green beans? I just ordered three 1 lb bags but I plan on having more on hand, and I heard it may not be a good idea for long term storage in the plastic bags. Anyone recommend where to get any small burlap sacks or cloth bags for cheap? No luck at the local hardware or craft store. Thanks.

I was told they're fine for up to 6 months, so don't order more than 6 months worth of green beans at a time?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

nm posted:

22grams coffee to 360 grams water.
Stir at 1:30 min in. Stir right before draining.
The second stir I haven't understood. The first stir does something I can clearly see. If I didn't stir at all, the filter would have a wall of grinds everywhere, but the first stir settles all grind to the bottom. But a second stir, I can't see it doing anything. Is there something subtle I'm missing?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

nosleep posted:

If you are ordering from Sweet Maria's they sell cloth bags of various sizes, but I just leave the beans in the plastic bags since they never last more than a couple of months anyway.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

that Vai sound posted:

The second stir I haven't understood. The first stir does something I can clearly see. If I didn't stir at all, the filter would have a wall of grinds everywhere, but the first stir settles all grind to the bottom. But a second stir, I can't see it doing anything. Is there something subtle I'm missing?
Drains faster.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
SM will sell you bags for your green coffees.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/miscellaneous/bags.html

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

The bags the green beans come in are plastic, but have lots of tiny holes in them for ventilation. As long as you don't keep them too long, and keep them in a stable environment they should be ok.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Bad how? It takes two seconds to make, has pretty much no cleanup, doesn't waste coffee, doesn't have a big pot that sits there and burns, and tastes good.

If you like it, you like it. You can establish that without picking a fight.

Cmdrmonkey posted:

I came into this thread expecting to see pretty much everyone using Keurigs, and was greeted by hipster douchebags using vintange 19th century coffee machines like something out of a Portlandia sketch.

You're even stating you came in here with an expectation that wasn't met, and you're insulting the contrary that you find. Troll away, my good man.

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Do you guys just use that stuff so you can feel snooty and self satisfied or is the coffee really that much better?

I don't have an audience in the morning other than my family. Snooting off later to someone about how awesome my espresso was that morning when they weren't there to try it and make that evaluation themselves is much akin to telling someone you gave yourself the most awesome orgasm last night. Bully for you. Better? Worse? I like what I make, or I wouldn't make it. You could hate it. That's your business.

For the record, once the machine has heated up (while I'm in the shower), it takes a whopping 45 seconds to pull a double in the mornings. Add 15 seconds of dose, tamp, load to your button press and you have what I make every day.

But if we want to split hairs on the anecdotal evaluations of button machines, Nespresso rigs have spanked the utter hell out of any K-cup I've ever had. :P

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Alleric posted:

But if we want to split hairs on the anecdotal evaluations of button machines, Nespresso rigs have spanked the utter hell out of any K-cup I've ever had. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIaORknS1Dk

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'

Thanks a bunch. For 60 cents I'll order a few with my next round of beans.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I got a text message yesterday morning from my latte art rival with a daily challenge of what to pour.

Also, my shop ran out of the awful generic espresso blend and I was finally able to fill the grinder with a really lightly roasted Ethiopian Sidamo. I wish I worked in a high end specialty coffee venue; having a brief reminder of what it's like to pull super nuanced shots instead of murky bitter sludge really drove it home that I need to move to a better city with better shops so I can really learn to create all the subtleties of flavor that I only just barely get to attempt where I currently am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Cmdrmonkey posted:

In fact I came into this thread hoping to see if anyone had any recommendations for good k-cups.

Even though you're being a dick and trolling hard, I'll answer your question in good faith. Green Mountain Kenya AA, Green Mountain Dark Magic, Coffee People Jet Fuel, and Coffee People Donut Shop are the best k-cup "bold" options I've found (in that order).

Cmdrmonkey posted:

And the coffee from my Keurig tastes as good as anything I've had.

If this is true though it doesn't matter what kind you buy, you're apparently incapable of distinguishing taste differences and/or you have some type of mouth cancer.