Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Stumpalitious posted:

Another couple questions that came to me. I am on a family plan. Will they just cancel my line or will they cancel the entire plan? Also I assume I will lose my phone number?

Just your line.

And as always, to all SERO people upgrade at a place like best buy or a,Avon at your own risk, I wouldn't recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

If the S4 is announced in March when do you guys think it will be released on Sprint? The S3 was announced in May and released in June right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ZeroAX posted:

If the S4 is announced in March when do you guys think it will be released on Sprint? The S3 was announced in May and released in June right?

Sprint will likely get it, unknown as to when but usually Samsung wants their phones to all launch simultaneously.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008
Sprint flagship phones normally launch late June /early July

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

mophomanners posted:

Sprint flagship phones normally launch late June /early July

That's really when they do their marketing push. Not always the best phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Giblet posted:

That's really when they do their marketing push. Not always the best phone.

Overall he's right though: every HTC flagship has come out in June. The galaxy was a bit later, and then the iPhone in September.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

That's kind of what I just did yesterday. I changed my sero premium plan to a family plan at a corporate store, because of sero. Then I went to Costco, upgraded my phone and added a new line, getting the promo prices for the phones in the process.

Are you sure you're still on EPRP, then? I thought no third party could properly touch it.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Sooo my wife and I are splitting up... can I move her SERO Premium account off my account and onto her own? How do I do that?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eyecannon posted:

Sooo my wife and I are splitting up... can I move her SERO Premium account off my account and onto her own? How do I do that?

You can, although she isn't guaranteed to keep SERO. Call employee care, at the least she can get EPRP and they will move it.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you sure you're still on EPRP, then? I thought no third party could properly touch it.

I'm just on a regular family plan now. Last I looked, staying on would just get me an extra 100 minutes a month but I rarely use any minutes as it is. I was halfway through my billing cycle and had only used 1 minute so far. I'm fine with trading away the hassle factor that came with the EPRP. I was on chat last week trying to get a price quote on something and I got transferred multiple times and it ended up taking 15-20 minutes just to get an answer.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Is it possible to do the PRL/Roaming trick on an iPhone? Not jailbroken.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Duckman2008 posted:

You can, although she isn't guaranteed to keep SERO. Call employee care, at the least she can get EPRP and they will move it.

So she would have to pay $30 more per month?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Eyecannon posted:

So she would have to pay $30 more per month?

Probably. Sorry about the relationship man, hope it all works out for the best for you. :(

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
So an interesting thing just happened to me when I called Sprint customer service.

I called to confirm what my ETF was, when my billing cycles were, and to see the exact ending date of my contract, and the guy started asking me why I was asking for that information. I mentioned that I've been having bad reception issues for the past 4-5 months (mostly due to the Network Vision upgrade I imagine, but I have been having non-NV related issues for longer than 4-5 months) and since I was thinking of getting off my parent's Sprint plan, I was probably going to switch to prepaid to save money. The guy just went ahead and gave my bill 40 dollars off per month for four months. Pretty sweet deal and they might be offering it to others that are poorly effected by the current NV upgrades, so you guys might want to try calling and complaining.

For reference, I'm in the Raleigh/Durham area.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
So I've been using my iPhone since around Christmas, and I have a couple questions.

When I use the default Mail app with Gmail, it won't get mail on a 3G connection, only on LTE (which is inconsistent to say the least) or Wifi (which always works). Is it supposed to work like that? If I'm on 3G I am having to use Safari to check my Gmail.

Same thing with iMessage. Sometimes if I send a text to someone I've been having an iMessage conversation with, it will just freeze on "Sending" for a long time, then send as a regular text message (green bubble). It seems to always work right on LTE and Wifi.

How long should it take to switch from 3G to LTE? Where I sit in my office is right on the border of LTE range. If I walk outside, the phone picks up LTE, but it takes a long time to switch over, like 2-3 minutes sometimes.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Q_res posted:

Is it possible to do the PRL/Roaming trick on an iPhone? Not jailbroken.

Yep, if you jailbreak.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

So I've been using my iPhone since around Christmas, and I have a couple questions.

When I use the default Mail app with Gmail, it won't get mail on a 3G connection, only on LTE (which is inconsistent to say the least) or Wifi (which always works). Is it supposed to work like that? If I'm on 3G I am having to use Safari to check my Gmail.

Same thing with iMessage. Sometimes if I send a text to someone I've been having an iMessage conversation with, it will just freeze on "Sending" for a long time, then send as a regular text message (green bubble). It seems to always work right on LTE and Wifi.

How long should it take to switch from 3G to LTE? Where I sit in my office is right on the border of LTE range. If I walk outside, the phone picks up LTE, but it takes a long time to switch over, like 2-3 minutes sometimes.

Try going into the dialer and punch in ##873283# (##UPDATE#), that will grab updated network settings.

If no 3G was working, I'd think it needs to be reset - I see that when the device on the line gets changed and changed back (like, when somebody uses an iPhone line's upgrade). That would be a matter of backing up the phone then doing the "erase all content and settings" option. I feel like that probably won't help in this case, but it may be worth a shot. Just make sure you back up first.

It could also just be that your local 3G is too slow and it's causing problems, but if you're in an area with LTE, probably not...

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Just your line.

And as always, to all SERO people upgrade at a place like best buy or a,Avon at your own risk, I wouldn't recommend it.

Just to reconfirm: I have a family plan with 3 lines on it, but the 3rd person has given me their phone and went to a different carrier. I can roam on the 3rd phone and if I use enough data Sprint will cancel that line only, leaving the other two ok?

And what's a good way to eat up enough data?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Any sort of streaming eats tons of data. Netflix in particular. Or YouTube I guess.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

thenakedflip posted:

Just to reconfirm: I have a family plan with 3 lines on it, but the 3rd person has given me their phone and went to a different carrier. I can roam on the 3rd phone and if I use enough data Sprint will cancel that line only, leaving the other two ok?

And what's a good way to eat up enough data?

Sync podcasts, stream video.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
PHOENIX GOD drat gently caress

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fyi Sprint Retentions offered me a $60 credit one time for my coverage issues. Not exactly that great.

I have my phone on force roam with Roam Control, anyone have the latest Verizon PRL for the S3 to get decent download speeds?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi Sprint Retentions offered me a $60 credit one time for my coverage issues. Not exactly that great.

I have my phone on force roam with Roam Control, anyone have the latest Verizon PRL for the S3 to get decent download speeds?
They should all be in this XDA thread. I haven't tried any of the Verizon-as-primary ones on the S3 but the 16xxx PRL with Roam Control forcing roaming works fairly well.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

Try going into the dialer and punch in ##873283# (##UPDATE#), that will grab updated network settings.

If no 3G was working, I'd think it needs to be reset - I see that when the device on the line gets changed and changed back (like, when somebody uses an iPhone line's upgrade). That would be a matter of backing up the phone then doing the "erase all content and settings" option. I feel like that probably won't help in this case, but it may be worth a shot. Just make sure you back up first.

It could also just be that your local 3G is too slow and it's causing problems, but if you're in an area with LTE, probably not...
Thanks, I'll try that update thing via the dialer.

And yeah, I have LTE access here but the 3G is pretty much unusable so if that's a thing, that may be some of the problem.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

They are pretty good about credits: they gave me 25 over 4 months ($100) because my Evo3D sucked. It helped a lot to offset the $50 early upgrade fee.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Approximately 670 updated sites today in: New York City (71), Chicago (45), Indianapolis (32), Charlotte (27), Houston (27), San Diego (27), Boston (25), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (24), Atlanta/Athens (23), Orlando (23), Nashville (22), Jacksonville (19), PR/VI (19), Washington DC (19), Memphis (17), SF Bay (15), Tampa (14), Miami/West Palm (12), Northern Jersey (12), Alabama (10), East Michigan (10), Orange County (10), Philadelphia Metro (10), VT/NH/ME (10), Austin (9), LA Metro (9), Riverside/San Bernardino (9), Central Jersey (8), Minnesota (8), New Orleans (8), South Bay (8), West Michigan (8), LasVegas (7), The Panhandle (6), DFW (5), East Texas (5), Louisiana (5), Northern Connecticut (5), Oregon/SW Washington (5), Raleigh/Durham (5), San Anotnio (5), Southern Connecticut (5), LA North (4), West Washington (4), Norfolk (3), GA/SC Coast (2), South Carolina (2), Baltimore (1), Georgia (1), Gulf Coast (1), Missouri (1), Southern Jersey (1), Upstate NY Central (1), Upstate NY East (1).

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I have a few months left on my contract and don't think I'll renew. That being said my wife's and my evo 3d's are dying. I have phantom touch screen issues and her case is bent from a couple drops. Anyone have an old phone or two like the GSII lying around for cheap?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Don't know if this the right thread for this but it's there a way to assign each screen is own wallpaper on the Galaxy Note 2?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Did anyone get that update for the GS3?

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

ZeroAX posted:

Did anyone get that update for the GS3?

I did. What was it for?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was so happy...when I got out of the gym (Rochester, Michigan), I had 4G signal. Sadly, it faded when I headed home...but we're seeing progress!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So, S3 in hand, I'm already excited about the galaxy S4. I guess socially-ingrained consumerism really does work. Anyways, what do you guys know about the phone?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Nobody knows anything. Because no details have been announced.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

thisdude23 posted:

I did. What was it for?

Looks like it's a Samsung patch to fix a few minor bugs.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I hope none of you were holding out for the new Blackberry slab phone.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/2/4057848/sprint-will-not-sell-blackberry-z10-only-offering-q10

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Q_res posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/2/4057848/sprint-will-not-sell-blackberry-z10-only-offering-q10

Quelle surprise. I wonder if there was some backroom quibbling over whether Sprint's "probably not fast enough for Gandhi" network could handle their encrypted traffic, if I recall basically everything including HTTP is routed through RIM and their encrypted service.

When you are roaming on VZW's towers and every once in a while it switches down to 1x and you can still tell that it's faster than Sprint's 3G service, you know Sprint's 3G is doing it no favors in terms of retention. I don't have any numbers but I bet a lot of people back out of the contract in those first couple weeks because every time they try pulling up something that needs to be pulled from the web they're sitting there waiting until they just give up. Maybe it's better on LTE but it isn't like a customer is just going to wait patiently.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

My suspicion is that Sprint is only carrying the Q10 to hold on to the edge-cases that won't let go of their BB Curves. They don't want to risk losing those holdouts to other carriers and if it wasn't for that they might have ignored BB10 stuff altogether.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Geirskogul posted:

PHOENIX GOD drat gently caress

Seriously, this is getting ridiculous. They've been promising me 4G for 4 years now and it's nowhere to be found. If I can't get 4G by the time my current contract is up, I'm switching providers for the first time ever :(

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Q_res posted:

My suspicion is that Sprint is only carrying the Q10 to hold on to the edge-cases that won't let go of their BB Curves. They don't want to risk losing those holdouts to other carriers and if it wasn't for that they might have ignored BB10 stuff altogether.

Biz customers that rely on bbm and bbs. Straight up.

BB is all but dead everywhere. When I was with ATT, the only blackberry devices we EVER say or sold were to larger biz customers who simply only had the choice of blackberry thanks to corp IT policies and such. Everyone else went android or iphone. Same is true on sprint, verizon, and ill blindly assume nobody has a biz tmobile account because lets be honest. Tmobile has awful coverage for everything.

I'm bummed. I was planning on getting a freebie one for my sprint employee line to gently caress with for a few months. Oh well, Ill rock the keyboard one instead. I'm sure itll be a good phone/email/text device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Q_res posted:

It's hard for me to read press about phones because there's so much loving fanboyism about brands.

I get it, Blackberry keyboards were really good. When I used to work in the corporate world I loved my Blackberry Curve (they gave me an old-rear end Palm Treo before the upgrade), really easy to type things in. I just don't get the attachment nowadays. On Android 4.2 I can just do voice to text for the most part, and if I have to use the on screen keyboard I can use the Swype-like interface to really type poo poo fast. If I have to hunt and peck the haptic feedback works pretty well for me. I've seen some iPhone users type loving FAST with their on screen keyboards too.

Beyond that, iOS and Android have great app ecosystems. Can't really say the same for Blackberry, so unless you need BBM I don't really see the point. And with their market share the way it is, they're basically competing with Windows Phone for all the scraps left by iOS and Android. And at least Windows Phone has a nice/attractive UI.