Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm 17 hours into Ni No Kuni, and I'm about to get to Hamelin (I've already been through the storm and the fairy village). One of the main problems I'm facing is that my healer (Esther) keeps running out of MP. I notice they've given that character less MP than the main character, which seems a bit silly.

Anyway, is there some functionality the game introduces which should lessen my reliance on glims and Strong Coffees, at least for healing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

pentyne posted:

When in doubt, be overleveled. The loot drop percents for BL2 are insanely small for top tier weapons, like 1/10000 or lower. Always have a flame, a shock, a slag, and a launcher weapon with you. The flame weapons do much greater damage to organics, the shock takes care of robots and shields, and a launcher with full ammo should be able to kill any regular boss. The slag weapon doesn't matter for damage but the slag %, and once slagged the other 2 elemental weapons will triple their damage.

A lot of weapons will have bullet multipliers that aren't necessary obvious at first. A launcher that uses 1 rocket with 1500 x3 damage is way better then a launcher that uses 1 rocket with 4000 damage, but the green/red arrows don't reflect it.

Did you just forget about corrosion or what?

The game doesn't do a great job of explaining all the elements to you.

• Non-elemental (bullets, melee) damage is unadjusted against all targets.
  • Fire does bonus damage to flesh (red health bars), but less damage to shields (blue) and armor (yellow).
  • Likewise, corrosion does bonus damage to armor, but reduced damage to shields and flesh.
  • Shock does bonus damage against shields, and normal damage against flesh and armor.
  • Explosions do full damage to flesh and armor, but slightly reduced damage against shields. In practice, don't worry about it.
  • Slag does normal damage to everything, and slagged targets (they glow purple) take double damage from all non-slag sources.

Some enemies break the mold, but it'll be obvious. If it's literally made of fire, it probably won't care much about being ignited.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Centipeed posted:

I'm 17 hours into Ni No Kuni, and I'm about to get to Hamelin (I've already been through the storm and the fairy village). One of the main problems I'm facing is that my healer (Esther) keeps running out of MP. I notice they've given that character less MP than the main character, which seems a bit silly.

Anyway, is there some functionality the game introduces which should lessen my reliance on glims and Strong Coffees, at least for healing?

Oliver has more MP so if you're having trouble give him a familiar with healing like the drongo. Esther's abilities suggest she's more suitable as a support/buff role but pretty much the entirety of battle is determined by what familiars you have equipped.

At this point alchemy should replace magic as your primary healer. Did you get the shitton of recipes from the boat woman in the fishing village? The game doesn't mark her at all and she won't give you recipes until after you get Swaine, and you get your alchemy pot before that so it's entirely too easy to miss her. Fishburgers and other high level healing items are really cheap to make in bulk so don't be afraid to make them and use them.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
One thing about Borderlands 2's slot machines to keep in mind though: The loot they'll spit out levels up with the level of your current main storyline quest, so you might want to gamble once that levels up (and is equal or higher to your current level) rather than after doing a bunch of sidequests when you might be a couple of levels over your main storyline quest, otherwise all the loot you'll get from the slot machines will be underleveled.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cliff posted:

Are you asking me to probe Uranus? Because that's terrible.

It's an old and terrible joke, delivered well.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

What should I know to make Wanderlust: Rebirth as fun as possible? I've played about an hour and man, there doesn't seem to be anything here.

WrightOfWay posted:

Anything for Crimson Shroud?

Some areas have "puzzles" that can be really nonintuitive. If you've hit every room in an area and don't know how to proceed, don't hesitate to look it up.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Burning Mustache posted:

One thing about Borderlands 2's slot machines to keep in mind though: The loot they'll spit out levels up with the level of your current main storyline quest, so you might want to gamble once that levels up (and is equal or higher to your current level) rather than after doing a bunch of sidequests when you might be a couple of levels over your main storyline quest, otherwise all the loot you'll get from the slot machines will be underleveled.
And one other thing: in the bar, you can also tip Moxxi. Do this enough times (it's somewhat random but around 15-20k is usually enough to trigger it) and she'll give you one of two purple SMGs, one corrosive, one fire. They are really damned good and will last you for quite a while if you get them level-appropriate. She will give you new ones later on as well, it's not a one-time thing IIRC, but since they scale with storyline level rather than your own, like the slots, just get them whenever.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Any tips for starting out in DC Universe Online?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anyone have anything for Chantelise: A Tale of Two Sisters?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I could use some Final Fantasy Tactics pointers. Like, is it the type of game where you can screw around and still beat the game relatively easily or should I shoot for certain builds asap? Also anything major I might miss?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sociopastry posted:

You will have to grind an obscene amount to make it through the game. Expect to replay each dungeon all the way through 5-10 times each to level up enough and acquire enough money to buy upgrades so you can defeat the boss.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

KingSlime posted:

I could use some Final Fantasy Tactics pointers. Like, is it the type of game where you can screw around and still beat the game relatively easily or should I shoot for certain builds asap? Also anything major I might miss?

The game is pretty easy, especially after you get a certain character Orlandu and a certain class Calculator. There are a lot of secrets and side quests which are pretty difficult, but you can have a team of pretty much anything and breeze through the regular content. There are times where you will feel the need to grind out levels, but it's not necessary. There is a mod for the game called Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3, which makes the game considerably more difficult. So if you like the game but find it too easy, check that out.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

KingSlime posted:

There are missables, but they're on 'sidequest/optional character' maps as it is. There are some legendary sticking points, usually involving multi-part missions, so keep two saves.

Generally you can screw around to an extent. Sure, you can make a Knight who casts magic, but you can't expect them to be good at the magic part even as a female(Females get +1 MA, Males get +1 PA, Ramza's special and gets both). Regardless, some things may be tough.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
I've read the entry on Divinity 2 in Before I Play, but I guess I'd still like some more advice. I'm in the Broken Valley area, I have no idea what to pick for my stats other than Int and I keep dying even when I try to lure away enemies (they just throw these homing fireballs at me...) and I can't even get past room 1 in the Doom Temple. :( Any help would be appreciated.

Deus Rex Machina
Aug 19, 2011

I wish in the past I had tried more things 'cause now I know that being in trouble is a fake idea

pentyne posted:

Sociopastry posted:

You will have to grind an obscene amount to make it through the game. Expect to replay each dungeon all the way through 5-10 times each to level up enough and acquire enough money to buy upgrades so you can defeat the boss.

Alternatively there's a glitch you can abuse for infinite health... it's still pretty grindy but:
In levels where ferromin is the secret treasure you can receive the HP boost before the treasure is marked as cleared. Play the level individually NOT STORY and unlock the treasure then return to map immediately after you received the HP boost. If you did it right the treasure will not be "clear" and you can claim the ferromin again.
You'll be spending most of your cash on health upgrades, so this makes a pretty nice shortcut.

other tips:

At some point in the game you will need to speak to everyone in town, maybe even two or three times if I am recalling correctly...

Things I didn't know until the end of the game:
At some point the chapel in the north-west of town opens up and can give you hints about where hidden treasures are. Unfortunately with the translation most of the clues are no help whatsoever.
There is a fishing mini-game (it's terrible).

And if you get stuck at the endgame unfortunately I recall there being no complete walkthrough. You'll have to search Youtube for hints.

Deus Rex Machina fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 24, 2013

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

KingSlime posted:

Don't worry about it so much, so long as your team has some diversity to it you should be alright. Just know that every unit has it's use, but some get greatly outclassed by others later. And some are just there to feed skills to that one game breaking job.

Pay attention to when delayed attacks (anything that puts a unit into charging status) will resolve. You don't want to cast a magic spell on a unit, only to have him walk out of range, or even worse walk up to one of your units for an attack, resulting in your spell hitting a friendly unit in addition to the intended target. Conversely, you can use this in your favour, for example Summons only hit one team (enemies/allies) but can be centred around an immune unit. So if you can target some one who will move before the summon goes off, you can get a few more panels range out of the casting.

You can see where the selected ability fits into the turn order by pressing right or left while it's highlighted.

As for things you might miss:

The only major things you might miss are equipment you can steal in a couple of key fights in the 4th chapter, that you either can't find anywhere else or are difficult to come by otherwise.

There's a bunch of minor things you will likely miss in the form of hidden items. For the most part these can largely be ignored.
Trap panels conceal items that can be collected with the units with the move-find item active. There are usually 4 panels per map, and they usually contain gear that is a little ahead of what you can buy. Keep in mind that most of these trap panels have a good item, and a garbage item. The probability of getting the good one depends on the unit's brave.

There is a map that can only be visited once that has 2 pieces of equipment that can only be found with the move find item skill on that map. There is also a set of 10 bonus maps that are filled with unique equipment that can only be acquired in this manner. Although you can return to those 10 maps, you should probably use a FAQ for them.

There are a few skills you might miss out on because they can only be learnt by having a unit in the right class survive it. In general these abilities are not worth the effort.

As for the optional content, you should have little problem finding it without help if you are visiting bars looking for propositions in the late game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

KingSlime posted:

I don't know if this is on the wiki, but make backups for saves. There are some battles that are consecutive, in that you can't grind between them if they end up being way above your level. These also tend to be very difficult battles, so keep a save before the series, and then a save during the series, so that you don't get caught with your pants down.

Ramza has to solo occasionally, so make sure he is a tough dude. Don't, for example, make him into a White Mage. I mean, I guess there is some arcane way for this to work, but it is much easier to just make him a Monk, Knight or a Ninja for these battles.

Do not use Rafa or Malak. They are terrible despite having pretty awesome sounding class names.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've read the wiki but is there anything else to add for Mount and Blade: Warband? I'm completely new to this sort of game and it's kicking my arse. I can't break out of the Skyrim action-RPG mindset for it.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I've read the wiki but is there anything else to add for Mount and Blade: Warband? I'm completely new to this sort of game and it's kicking my arse. I can't break out of the Skyrim action-RPG mindset for it.
Try starting in Swadia, I think it is the easiest.
Don't get off your horse, especially early on. You need to fight smart because once you go down the battles over.
Find Jeremus, he is a life saver in the beginning.
At the start pick up as many peasants as you can get and start knocking over bandits until you can...
...raid villages and take loving every thing of value including food
...hit caravans
Also recruit Mercenary Swordsmen/Crossbowmen/Knights.
You might worry about not being able to pay wages or feed your guys but you gotta remember to keep hitting villages and caravans all the drat time. Don't go too deep into enemy territory. Just take out the outlaying villages of whatever nation you've chosen to pick on.
Intelligence and Charisma are the stats you want to work on.
Most importantly get the skill that increases your map movement. Your armies makeup has a massive influence on your map speed. You need to carefully balance this.

Bemis fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 24, 2013

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks man, that's a huge help! As I said I got caught in the Skyrim mindset quite easily so I was spending a fair bit of time solo and hitting dudes in the arena getting really frustrated. That'll give me a bit of structure and has helped me rethink my overall approach. :v:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Katreus posted:

I've read the entry on Divinity 2 in Before I Play, but I guess I'd still like some more advice. I'm in the Broken Valley area, I have no idea what to pick for my stats other than Int and I keep dying even when I try to lure away enemies (they just throw these homing fireballs at me...) and I can't even get past room 1 in the Doom Temple. :( Any help would be appreciated.

Doom Temple: It's a mind-ready hint, but in the first room, only step on the tiles with corpses on them to avoid the poison. And take a bow or ranged magic, you'll need it.

As regards your other problem, what skills are you taking? If you're going for a mage, level up fireball to make a lot of encounters trivial, and if you want to break the game somewhat, leg it over to the new miner's dig (middle-west on this map), pick off the creatures from a distance, and bring the crystal skull back to the necromancer guy. Ta-da! Your very own creature, which can absorb damage and kill stuff for you.

To avoid magic missiles, press left/right + jump - you'll do a sweet roll which avoids a lot of stuff.

e: This LP has a lot of good advice regarding skill points and such.

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 24, 2013

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
For Borderlands 2, check out this site - http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key#Latest_Shift_Codes - New Golden Key codes go up all the time, usually a good couple a week, and sometimes 5-key codes go up too. Grab them when they pop up and you can get some tasty items from the golden chest in Sanctuary whenever you want. Codes go up so often there's no real point in saving them for level 50.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Doom Temple: It's a mind-ready hint, but in the first room, only step on the tiles with corpses on them to avoid the poison. And take a bow or ranged magic, you'll need it.

As regards your other problem, what skills are you taking? If you're going for a mage, level up fireball to make a lot of encounters trivial, and if you want to break the game somewhat, leg it over to the new miner's dig (middle-west on this map), pick off the creatures from a distance, and bring the crystal skull back to the necromancer guy. Ta-da! Your very own creature, which can absorb damage and kill stuff for you.

To avoid magic missiles, press left/right + jump - you'll do a sweet roll which avoids a lot of stuff.

e: This LP has a lot of good advice regarding skill points and such.

Hrm... I managed to solve Doom Temple by just going back later when I had more hp. I guess it really is right... once you hit lvl 13, it seems a lot easier to do stuff without dying every time someone sneezes in your direction.

Thanks for the hint on the roll. Will try that. For me, I'm going warrior atm... I have whirlwind maxed, 2 in the charge thing, and then just some minor 1 pts in the stuff like life leech, mana leech, bleed, potion effectiveness, lockpick. I just throw a bit everywhere for stat points although I have the most in int and str. Thanks for the LP link! Will take a look.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Anything anyone can tell me to get into Civilization IV? I am really trying to get into it but when I start playing I Just kind of wonder around aimlessly and make alliances and do the technology it recommends and I don't really feel like i'm doing anything at all. I made a few cities but i'm not sure if i really put them in the right place. I don't really know how to get materials like iron and such, i'm not sure what i'm supposed to build with workers.

Haha basically I don't know what i'm doing and need help!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

pentyne posted:

It's not quite that bad, actually. You will have to grind a lot if you want to upgrade everything but one of the neat things about this game is that the (at first seemingly impossible) bosses can be beaten easily as long as you learn how to avoid their attacks. I never felt the need to grind to beat the bosses. They will kick your rear end the first time you fight them, though.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Thanks man, that's a huge help! As I said I got caught in the Skyrim mindset quite easily so I was spending a fair bit of time solo and hitting dudes in the arena getting really frustrated. That'll give me a bit of structure and has helped me rethink my overall approach. :v:

Definitely, the tourneys are absolutely frustrating. You need to be very good at the combat to win one.
After you build up your reputation enough you can ask to enter a king's service. This is important because the Marshall will call all the Lords together and eventually (they get easily distracted) they will siege a town or castle. Having the extra hands will help you take on larger armies than you normally could and get experience and loot. Ransoms are always a nice bonus.
The wikia says to do quests at the start but honestly, I have such a hard time finding the bad guys or even catching up to them since you're so slow at the start of the game.

Jackster
Nov 10, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Anything anyone can tell me to get into Civilization IV? I am really trying to get into it but when I start playing I Just kind of wonder around aimlessly and make alliances and do the technology it recommends and I don't really feel like i'm doing anything at all. I made a few cities but i'm not sure if i really put them in the right place. I don't really know how to get materials like iron and such, i'm not sure what i'm supposed to build with workers.

Haha basically I don't know what i'm doing and need help!

You get resources by building the relevant improvement on top of the resource (farms for stuff like rice, mines for ores, plantations for things like sugar, etc.) and connecting it to your city. Most of the resources need a special technology before you can improve them (if you hover over the tile, it tells you what techs you need) and some resources are invisible until you have a specific technology. The resource also has to be inside your borders. You can increase your borders by getting more culture.

Doing recommended techs is fine for a beginner. At the beginning, you should just get techs that allow you to improve resources around your city (like if you have gold/silver, get mining, if you have cows, go for animal husbandry etc.). After that, if you think that things are about to get messy, get war techs (like iron working or gunpowder), if not, go for peaceful techs. Getting a religion isn't that important, as one of the AIs will get one anyway and religions don't really do anything else except make war.

Don't be afraid to leave some 'basic' techs undiscovered. For instance, if you don't have any horses nearby, there is no reason to get horseback riding. Ever.

Food is the most important thing for cities. When you build cities, you should make sure that they have at least some food resources. Food resources can be stuff like rice and wheat, or even just really fertile terrain like flood plains.

Connecting your cities with trade routes gives you a small bonus to commerce (it's the thing you use with the sliders to get science/gold/culture/espionage) and in addition allows you to use resources other cities have (so if city 1 and city 2 are connected and city 2 has iron, city 1 can use the iron to make swordsmen etc.). You connect the cities by having a road or a river between them. Certain technologies also unlock additional ways to make trade routes.

With workers, this is generally the upgrading order:
Food resources -> Other resources -> tiles with no resources
General rule is to have 1.5 workers for each city.

War 101:
Get catapults or something to destroy the defenses in their cities. Have twice as many attackers as the enemies have defenders.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Bemis posted:

Definitely, the tourneys are absolutely frustrating. You need to be very good at the combat to win one.
After you build up your reputation enough you can ask to enter a king's service. This is important because the Marshall will call all the Lords together and eventually (they get easily distracted) they will siege a town or castle. Having the extra hands will help you take on larger armies than you normally could and get experience and loot. Ransoms are always a nice bonus.
The wikia says to do quests at the start but honestly, I have such a hard time finding the bad guys or even catching up to them since you're so slow at the start of the game.

Does all this mean I can be left behind if I'm too slow building up my dudes, or will there always be targets to hit at? I'm fine with there being a fail state as long as I know I can work my way around it. :v:

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

poptart_fairy posted:

The thing that you want to do right away is swear fealty to a king. Once you're a vassal, you'll get called when there's a war(and there will be one soon). Come and join up with the Marshall and follow him and his army around and get into fights that he gets into. It's the best way to make money/get exp for you and your army/have fun in the early game. Once you get money, use it to buy whatever town improvement that produces the most money per week (it's usually dye works). That's going to allow you to have a bigger more expensive army that you can use to kick the AI in the balls on your own.

Random tips:
Some of the village/town elder quests really suck, like the one where you track down bandits. Seriously, don't do that one, its retarded. The quests in this game in general are not nearly as fun as bashing mans in the face with a mace. Only do them if you're trying to raise reputation with a town in order to buy an improvement there.

Don't worry about buying new weapons/armor, you'll find good stuff on your own. Dye works everywhere are a much better investment of money.

Best melee units are nord huscarls, best cavalry are swadian knights(almost tied by sarranid mameluks), best ranged are rhodok crossbowmen(because of their shield, dammit)

The Floris mod is awesome.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Anything anyone can tell me to get into Civilization IV?

Rush to Iron, then Gunpowder. These two techs reveal the Iron & Saltpeter deposits on the map. If it turns out you've settled nowhere near any iron/saltpeter, finding out ASAP means you'll have time to send units to find a deposit, get a settler over there to create a town with influence over said deposit & workers to make a road back to your home bases to deliver it. Wait too long and you'll have to rely on trade to get it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Tips for The Binding of Isaac? The wiki is pretty sparse about it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Tips for The Binding of Isaac? The wiki is pretty sparse about it.

Since so much of the game is random, it's really about maximizing your advantages. Here are some tips:

-If you have a bomb or two, it's worth looking for the secret room. It's almost always bordered on three sides. If you see a blank, black space on the map that is bordered by 3 sides, throw a bomb down. You'll get money, most often, which is very valuable.

-For the late game, The Compass is probably the most valuable defensive item there is. It allows you to make a bee line for the boss rather than explore, which is important.

-The game will be a bewildering nightmare until you start figuring out what things will do. Enjoy it! I have all the items memorized and it was fun getting there.

-Pills: at the start of each game, you get a random set of 6 pills. They can be a stat up or down (anything other than damage), as well as a couple of other miscellaneous effects. Always take pills! If it's bad, you'll only take it once but if it's good, you'll know what to look for. Pill colors are random at the beginning of the playthrough but are consistent within one game. So if you see a red/white pill and it's a health up, it will always be a health up in that game.

-Try to unlock the first two training wheel characters. Try to get a lot of money (without spending it) in one playthrough, and try to get a lot of hearts in one playthrough (without trading them to the devil). Both Maggie and Cain are easier for new players to play with, for the most part.

-Deals with the devil are your friend but think hard before taking them, especially if you're just starting out. If you're new to the game, the health could be worth hanging on to.

I know about a thousand other little tricks to this game. I don't want to turn this into a plug, but I've been told that my Let's Play series is very helpful in learning how to play the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watchoutforfireballs

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It seems pretty simple, but anything for Amnesia: The Dark Descent?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Anything for Final Fantasy IV? I haven't played this thing in like almost two decades. The wiki page is for the DS version, but I have the PSN Collection (After Years etc) which is pretty much the vanilla version to my understanding.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Mayor McCheese posted:

Anything for Final Fantasy IV? I haven't played this thing in like almost two decades. The wiki page is for the DS version, but I have the PSN Collection (After Years etc) which is pretty much the vanilla version to my understanding.

Status magic works more often than you'd think. Slow especially works on everything with I'm pretty sure a 100% success rate, even the last boss. That right there will nearly beat the game for you, but if you want more then do stuff like casting Hold with your white mages to neutralize enemies your attackers aren't focusing on, and screen-wide casts of Toad and Break from your black mages will win entire fights. The downside to this is that the last boss is a lovely test of whether you have enough HP to survive his dumb party-wide attack, so these tips help you avoid grinding for 99% of the game and then you hit a brick wall. 1991 game design!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

KingSlime posted:

I could use some Final Fantasy Tactics pointers.

Everything that's been said is true, but another thing to note is that if all else fails you can just grind; the final boss is only level 70, I think, while you can hit 99. It's entirely possible to steamroll everything with a solo lv. 99 character.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Bonaventure posted:

Status magic works more often than you'd think. Slow especially works on everything with I'm pretty sure a 100% success rate, even the last boss. That right there will nearly beat the game for you, but if you want more then do stuff like casting Hold with your white mages to neutralize enemies your attackers aren't focusing on, and screen-wide casts of Toad and Break from your black mages will win entire fights. The downside to this is that the last boss is a lovely test of whether you have enough HP to survive his dumb party-wide attack, so these tips help you avoid grinding for 99% of the game and then you hit a brick wall. 1991 game design!

Thanks! The series left a bit of stigma with me in regards to those spells rarely working. I would have never used them.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Does all this mean I can be left behind if I'm too slow building up my dudes, or will there always be targets to hit at? I'm fine with there being a fail state as long as I know I can work my way around it. :v:

Oh no, the wars swing back and forth. My fellow lords would occasionally make progress only to lose territory to a coordinated counterattack. The only time we made gains is when I personally lead the attacks or asked someone to follow me (which you can do after you get high enough reputation with them). That is why engineering is so important. Being able to put up a siege tower in a few hours is so nice.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

oldskool posted:

Rush to Iron, then Gunpowder. These two techs reveal the Iron & Saltpeter deposits on the map. If it turns out you've settled nowhere near any iron/saltpeter, finding out ASAP means you'll have time to send units to find a deposit, get a settler over there to create a town with influence over said deposit & workers to make a road back to your home bases to deliver it. Wait too long and you'll have to rely on trade to get it.

I haven't played Civ 4 in a long time, but I'm about 99.9% sure that saltpeter isn't a resource in it. It was in 3, but not 4 I don't think. I don't believe gunpowder units require any strategic resources in 4.

Me, I'm getting started with Master of Orion 2, and I've read the wiki and various stuff on the internet but I have one question that I can't find a satisfying answer to: is there any sort of strict penalty that's directly tied to expanding too much? Like for example in Civ 5, your social policies become more expensive with each new city, and in 4, you pay extra maintenance if they're too far away, in Endless Space, you take an empire-wide approval hit for each new colony, and so on...is there anything like that in MoO 2, or am I ok to colonize every decent planet I can get my hands on, so long as I have the food and freighters to supply them? I can see that there are various mechanics in play to make expanding difficult, but I can't tell if there's any hard and fast "you founded a new colony, now deal with this bad number crap" stuff going on in the game.

Or I guess to put it another way, how much expansion is too much expansion? It seems to me that food, fuel range & the availability of decent planets is the main thing holding you back, but if you can overcome that, go hog wild and colonize as much as you can?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I haven't played Civ 4 in a long time, but I'm about 99.9% sure that saltpeter isn't a resource in it. It was in 3, but not 4 I don't think. I don't believe gunpowder units require any strategic resources in 4.

Me, I'm getting started with Master of Orion 2, and I've read the wiki and various stuff on the internet but I have one question that I can't find a satisfying answer to: is there any sort of strict penalty that's directly tied to expanding too much? Like for example in Civ 5, your social policies become more expensive with each new city, and in 4, you pay extra maintenance if they're too far away, in Endless Space, you take an empire-wide approval hit for each new colony, and so on...is there anything like that in MoO 2, or am I ok to colonize every decent planet I can get my hands on, so long as I have the food and freighters to supply them? I can see that there are various mechanics in play to make expanding difficult, but I can't tell if there's any hard and fast "you founded a new colony, now deal with this bad number crap" stuff going on in the game.

Or I guess to put it another way, how much expansion is too much expansion? It seems to me that food, fuel range & the availability of decent planets is the main thing holding you back, but if you can overcome that, go hog wild and colonize as much as you can?

There is no such thing as too much expansion. The more planets you have, that you can feed, the more ships you can build to murder everyone you come across. It also speeds up research. Just make absolutely sure you can feed that planet.

Also, you may think that Master of Orion 3 is worth checking out. It is not.