Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Cliff Racer posted:

I dunno how it is in Britain but unless you have a race horse or work horse your horse is worth jack poo poo over here. I saw one being given away on Craigslist the other day. Others are just left lose to run wild (in actuality to be rounded up by animal control and then auctioned off to the dog food company for a hundred bucks a pop.)
I think the greater costs are to do with stabling, feeding, clearing out etc. etc. Horses themselves don't have to be expensive - I think you can even get rescue horses, although the only person I know with some is an equine vet. Her (cart)horses were subject to pretty horrible mistreatment from an owner who couldn't properly maintain the large numbers of horses he had, and apparently some were essentially feral/unbroken.

Heather Frost (the cancer-surviving 'welfare queen' at the heart of the story) pays around £200 a month, which sounds high but is around what I pay for petrol (ugh), and apparently her adult daughter helps with the costs (Telegraph link). The daughter also claims that the 6-bedroom house would be smaller than their current one - has the actual size of the house ever been cited by a newspaper? Six tiny bedrooms would hardly constitute a mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Would it somehow be more acceptable if the family were split into two three bedroom houses? I doubt it'd be grabbing headlines if that were the case...

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Would it somehow be more acceptable if the family were split into two three bedroom houses? I doubt it'd be grabbing headlines if that were the case...

This is a pretty good point and probably true.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh? Try this

HORSE-OWNING BENEFITS MUM TO KIDS: YOU CAN'T LIVE WITH ME
COUNCIL FORCED TO FIND HOME FOR CHILD VICTIMS OF BENEFITS CULTURE
BENEFITS BONANZA: WORKSHY FAMILIES GIVEN SECOND HOMES

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

That's what they have now isn't it

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

She'd still get attacked for daring to have children while on benefits (mostly by people who would also be screaming at her if she dared to have an abortion) but it wouldn't be quite as big a story.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

baka kaba posted:

Oh? Try this

HORSE-OWNING BENEFITS MUM TO KIDS: YOU CAN'T LIVE WITH ME
COUNCIL FORCED TO FIND HOME FOR CHILD VICTIMS OF BENEFITS CULTURE
BENEFITS BONANZA: WORKSHY FAMILIES GIVEN SECOND HOMES
DOES CANCER CAUSE BENEFIT SCROUNGING?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

UnCO3 posted:

DOES CANCER CAUSE BENEFIT SCROUNGING?

Whoa there, don't want to accidentally direct any sympathy towards poor people now do we?

STRESS FOR HARD-WORKING FAMILIES IN BROKEN BENEFITS BRITAIN: ARE SCROUNGERS GIVING YOU CANCER?

Whew, that's better

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

The Tory campaign suffered a blow when the prime minister denied that the party's candidate was a 'loose cannon' being hidden away.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily Express:

Seems low res today! :shepface:

Found the bird, and its pretty hardest sofar this month.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 22, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Bird was pretty easy for me, yesterdays was harder because I thought it was a random vanity tie design.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

The Daily Express guy really doesn't like drawing male head hair, does he?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The terrifying vacant smiles really freak me out.

Strif-ah Ker-not
Oct 8, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Yep, it's stupid how much I enjoy these cartoons now. Good spot on Charlie's tie. I'd say the first's a poorly-drawn Peregrine, and the second's a Red-billed Chough, at a guess.

e: so as not to be misleading, the amount I now enjoy the Express cartoons is "some"

I think pretty much all cartoons would be greatly improved if they were daily "Where's Wally?"s

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Maria Hutchings, the Conservative candidate in the Eastleigh byelection, has denied she missed a national radio hustings because party minders regard her as a "loose cannon".

Telegraph:

Indy:

Parody of Rembrandt's The Raising of Lazarus (1630).

Bob Godfrey died yesterday. :smith:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21552718
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/feb/23/bob-godfrey-career-clips

He is most famous for being the Roobarb animator.

From the Guardian article, there is more in the article.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCv0LqvNMwU

quote:

"Always have someone chasing someone else." Solid advice in this spoofy guide from 1961, which uses the cut-out style later adopted by Terry Gilliam on his Monty Python work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuJHIj1AX2M

quote:

In this educational film made for the British Productivity Council in 1964, Godfrey explains the gross national product with a breezy combination of graphics, photos (sausages, supermarkets and motorways) and a clipped RP voiceover. "Let's call it TOTO – ten out of ten housewives, ten out of ten people use it … if we want to raise our standard of living, we must use TOTO!" It is a great example of how animation can bring abstract ideas to life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzFwoahbA-0

quote:

Before Yellow Submarine, The Beatles mopped up some of the teen market with this goofy King Features series, which generally involved them running from screaming fans and then finding a reason to sing one of their songs to get themselves out of trouble. Bob Godfrey directed four episodes, including this one featuring a pair of horses falling for each other to With Love From Me To You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M5jENojBiw

quote:

After Roobarb, Richard Briers also narrated one of Godfrey's longer works, an irreverent, anarchic 1975 biopic of the Victorian engineer that races through his life and achievements with a wild combination of animation styles and songs like "Get a big top hat if you want to get ahead". It won the Oscar for best animated short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiALmD2Xs-s

quote:

Here in a short from 2000, Godfrey imagines what life might be like for Prince William on his 18th birthday, trying to convince the rest of his family that he'd be a good candidate for the SAS. "Terrorists would take one look at him and say 'We surrender! He's got floppy hair!'" offers a Dalek Prince Philip.

and of course!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4aVXeDg3U4

quote:

It's a sad coincidence to lose the great animator Bob Godfrey a week after the death of Richard Briers, the man who gave a voice to Roobarb. It was perfect after-school viewing for a generation of 70s kids (and parents) – a great riff on that classic cartoon set-up: a dog and a cat. With its famous wobbly lines and shimmering felt-tip backgrounds, Roobarb had a deceptive charm, set in a world that almost felt like it could have stepped out of a school art class; but of course, it took a master animator to make it look so simple.

RIP. :smith:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 23, 2013

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Rowson's little fatcat is receding further and further into the distance :ohdear:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Junior G-man posted:

Rowson's little fatcat is receding further and further into the distance :ohdear:
The fur cup remains prominent, however :v:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The terrifying vacant smiles really freak me out.

It just makes me irrationally angry, it looks like every single person in the comic is silently saying "get it" like they're laughing at the lovely joke. At least it's just mind numbingly stupid rather than mac's brand of middle-England bigotry, I'd punch my screen in if those guys teamed up.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Todays If...

This actually had me crippled with laughter for several minutes this morning.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Here's today's selection:

Grauniad:

Britain downgraded from AAA rating, economy still poo poo.

Torygraph:

Head of the Catholic Church in Scotland, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, resigns amid claims of "inappropriate acts". Link.

Indie:

Osbourne again, combined with the death of Raymond Cusick, Dalek designer. But Daleks have been able to fly up stairs since Sylvester McCoy's day! :qqsay:

Couldn't find today's Mac from the Mail.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

And the fur cup just keeps getting bigger... Is that the remnants of Cleggochio in the corner? Looks like one of his white gloves poking up out of what appears to be a bag of poo poo. And can anyone tell what the pig in the background is doing?

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Niric posted:

And the fur cup just keeps getting bigger... Is that the remnants of Cleggochio in the corner? Looks like one of his white gloves poking up out of what appears to be a bag of poo poo. And can anyone tell what the pig in the background is doing?

Looks like he's running around with a chainsaw.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Flython posted:

Looks like he's running around with a chainsaw.

Ah, I think you're right: the blood on it also suggests he's the one who sliced off Gideon's face. Rating agencies as capitalist pigs makes a lot of sense, though the leering grin at the fur cup is a bit harder to parse.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Niric posted:

Is that the remnants of Cleggochio in the corner? Looks like one of his white gloves poking up out of what appears to be a bag of poo poo.

I think it just might be, Osbourne's trailing off and saying "to save faeces" at the end.

HCO Plumer GCB GCM
Apr 29, 2010

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography."

Niric posted:

Is that Cameron throwing up at rear left ?

Also, what's with the tent at bottom left ? Some allegory for "inside the tent"?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

Also, what's with the tent at bottom left ? Some allegory for "inside the tent"?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's Cameron throwing up, though he seems to be balding quite severely there. I'm not sure about the tent bit, it's definitely something staked down over something (the brown patch around it is what made me think it must be crap), but I think the bit poking must be Clegg's hand. Compare it to here, especially the four fingers:

The meaning is rather lost on me though; Clegg is covering (someone else's?) poo poo, or just that he's both irrelevant and full of poo poo?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Maybe it's a Lib Dem coverup (the sexual harrassment) and Clegg breaking through it to say 'actually yeah I knew'?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Possibly Clegg as a tent, covering up the Lib Dem's chief executive alleged sexual harrasment.

This is why political cartoons need labels.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Cloud Potato posted:

Possibly Clegg as a tent, covering up the Lib Dem's chief executive alleged sexual harrasment.

I think you and baka are probably on the right track with this, and it neatly ties in to the title "denial". Any thoughts on Osborne's broken fingers?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Niric posted:

I think you and baka are probably on the right track with this, and it neatly ties in to the title "denial". Any thoughts on Osborne's broken fingers?

Crossing your fingers in order to tell a lie, combined with broken fingers after having them caught in the till?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Scarfe of the week

Oscars' week is easy-mode for cartoonists.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

HCO Plumer GCB GCM posted:

poo poo intent? I dunno.

I love the fatcat's :catstare: and the triple diplodocus looking sheepish. Even the furcup has lost its cheery smile.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Out of curiousity, what happened to the elephant man? Did Clegg fire him?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Vince Cable's still rumbling on in the background. He's a pretty hard man to fire, as he'd apparently take half the party with him (he once described his quitting as "the nuclear option"). Last time I heard of him doing anything as a business secretary was him shrugging off the more-generous Olympics opening hours drifting into permanency, despite his avowed insistence that they would be a temporary measure.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Riddell from Sunday.

Pope Benedict XVI forced the resignation of Cardinal Keith O'Brien in an attempt to minimise the impact of allegations.

Stephen Collins was only uploaded yesterday, its normally Saturday. :shrug:

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily Mail:

quote:

The Lib-Dems are being hit by the bad news that Lord Rennard has been accused of molesting women.

quote:

“Okay. Which is it? Are you here for a grope or to ask me to take on your speeding penalty points?”

Fluo fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 26, 2013

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Looks like Nick just got Melvined.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Fears that political deadlock will lengthen Italy's recession and spill over into rest of the eurozone has hit European markets.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily Mail:

quote:

‘At last Nick Clegg’s doing something about the problem.’

Daily Express:

:fuckoff: It's getting really loving annoying that every 2 weeks or so the Daily Express has a "lol weather" cartoon. But generally they are know for thinking climate change is a myth.

News articles related to the cartoons today;

Alleged Lord Rennard victim says nine other women 'involved' in case.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21591600

Italian media see instability following poll deadlock.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21587150

Italy struggles with 'nightmare' election result.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21586340

Stalemate in 'ungovernable' Italy after elections.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21586338

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Re: The Indy cartoon - I love that angle on the election, could any comedian really be more ridiculous than Berlusconi as a candidate?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Its kinda not cool to do the whole 'Heya, mama mia' poo poo, surely.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

BastardySkull posted:

Its kinda not cool to do the whole 'Heya, mama mia' poo poo, surely.
Oh no, the comic itself is pretty lovely and obvious. I was actually referring to the irony of the situation but didn't make that clear.

e: V--- I'm really more amused by the idea of Berlusconi being viewed as a credible candidate, rather than passing judgement on any of his opponents, including the comedian ('s coalition).

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Kegluneq posted:

Re: The Indy cartoon - I love that angle on the election, could any comedian really be more ridiculous than Berlusconi as a candidate?

That angle really bugs me actually, because if you read most of the stories (or god forbid watch TV news) all you hear is haha funny comedian man running in Italy, and people are voting for him, what a wacky situation! If you actually read into the background he's basically a spokesperson for an alliance of politicians who already hold some office, and who are effectively running on an anti-austerity platform that's resounding with a lot of people for obvious reasons. He's not even intending to enter parliament, since he has a conviction and he wants a ban on MPs with criminal records.

It's just lazy reporting, and it sets up the narrative nicely for what's happening now they've done well - the neoliberal establishment going oh noooo what have you done foolish Italians, voting for a comedian instead of people who understand economics. It reinforces the idea that there's no serious credible alternative, and shifts the argument away from one about economic policy and people's lives, to one about leftist jokers and how people have to be ruled and forced to take their medicine. It's poisoning the well. At least France is backing them up, maybe we'll see a change yet

• Locked thread