Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Didja Redo posted:

F...Fedule! C...could I make a suggestion? I...I think maybe you should c...consider...t...toning...t...this...d...down.

Unless one of the twists involves everyone having a stutter.

I know, right? It's almost like they're teenagers who just witnessed a murder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I still think that t-this is a much better way to denote s-stuttering than ellipses.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Japan loves its ellipses though!

I kind of figure that they've already been toned down a bit.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
This isn't a workshop. Just read the drat text.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
T...The stuttering issue is one of those things that, in the absence of any really good reason why any particular way is better than any other particular way, I'm going with "not changing things". People in the English you see stutter at all the same lines on which they stutter in the Japanese in the game (or, at least, in the first draft Oren sends me, which I assume - being a more-or-less direct translation - maintains stuttering in all those places). And right now, in the game, everyone's stuttering like gently caress because T...T...Togami-saaaaaan! Well, that, and Mikan stutters pretty much every one of her lines anyway.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to fine-tuning this stuff, but honestly, I don't see the need to.

(I always read t-this kind of stutter as something that's more appropriate when someone's really rapidfiring those opening syllables due to something on the level of an actual severe speech impediment or being really, hysterically afraid (and it usually works better when you stack it m-m-m-m-many times), while t...this kind of stutter is what it sounds like when your average usually-non-stuttering person gets the start of a sentence caught in their tounge for whatever reason (Mikan talks like this instead of the other way because, as I see it, she doesn't have a speech impediment, she's just really, really uneasy all the time. Once you get a sentence rolling it tends to keep doing so until you get distracted). Also because it's how the game does it)

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
Has anyone brought up the fact that Monomi doesn't want anyone to care that one of their friends is a murderer? That's setting off some alarms for me.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
I'm thinking a question we need to ask is: whose night vision goggles were those? Cause looking at how he was holding them, Togami could have very well have taken them off whoever stabbed him. And if they're not his, that raises the question of what was in his box, besides the key to the other one. Which is still a good question to me.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Conro101 posted:

Has anyone brought up the fact that Monomi doesn't want anyone to care that one of their friends is a murderer? That's setting off some alarms for me.

Maybe she knows what happens at the end of the trial. The question, in that case, is how does she know this? Wait, did Monobear tell the students about what happens at a trial, because I can't remember.

RefinedUndefined fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 12, 2013

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

RefinedUndefined posted:

Maybe she knows what happens at the end of the trial. The question, in that case, is does she know this? Wait, did Monobear tell the students about what happens at a trial, because I can't remember.

If she does, she also knows that not finding the right culprit through inactivity will mean all the kids die.

Didja Redo
Jan 24, 2010

Wanna try my freedom meat BBQ meat?

Color Printer posted:

I know, right? It's almost like they're teenagers who just witnessed a murder!

Yeah, except it's not just this update. And even if it was, it's still kind of excessive. Some people stumble over their words when they panic, yeah, but they generally don't develop this weird clipped anime stutter on the first syllable of every sentence. It feels artificial. And how do you stutter on a scream, come on.

EDIT:

Fedule posted:

T...The stuttering issue is one of those things that, in the absence of any really good reason why any particular way is better than any other particular way, I'm going with "not changing things".

Fair enough, then. Wasn't sure exactly how liberal you were being, so I thought I couldn't hurt to mention it. Carry on!

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The characters stutter in the translation when they stutter in the original. And by "stutter in the original" I mean there are actual repeated letters in the text.

They stutter by ellipsis because that's how I did it in the first game and I'm trying to be consistent.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

After having already translated a full game I am pretty sure they know what they are doing. If things look odd, odds are it is for a reason.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

err'body posted:

The game overuses Despair/Hope awkwardly so it's just as jarring before translation

I suspected that might be the case, and if the game wanted to draw attention to it, it certainly worked on me. Still think it's cheesy and overly self-aware but that's obviously the feel the game wants to put across.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Here, have a silly cover song. I can't into DAWs, so my mixing skills are non-existent, but I guess it turned out better than I expected anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/tiistai/box-25

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

tiistai posted:

Here, have a silly cover song. I can't into DAWs, so my mixing skills are non-existent, but I guess it turned out better than I expected anyway.

That's pretty drat good actually

Rice2MeetYou
Jan 3, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

This first case seems a hell of a lot more complicated than the first case of the previous game. I pretty much knew who it was instantly. Here? Not a clue. Souda and Hanamura are higher up on the list for me, they're just too excitable, and whoever did this had to be a bit spastic. Eight times is a lot.

Also Dead End is a fantastic track :syoon:

I think it's a bit early to call whether or not this case is easier, seeing as we have only gathered 1 evidence bullet.

Also looking back through the updates, Togami says "There doesn't seem to be any place to hide such a long skewer, in any case". This line in particular interests me and puts Nagito higher up on my list. With all the time he spent preparing for the party he is the most likely person to have found a method/location to use such a long, unwieldy skewer as a lethal weapon.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If nothing else, I'm glad this is shaping up to be a more technically interesting first murder investigation than 'SHE WROTE LEON BACKWARDS ON THE WALL, CLEARLY IT IS NUMBERS/CHRISTMAS TIME' levels of dramatic irony. I was hoping they'd step it up a bit given the fact that this was a sequel, and thus far I am not disappointed. (For similar examples, compare the 'tutorial trial' of the first Phoenix Wright game with the first trial of Apollo Justice.)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Didja Redo posted:

And how do you stutter on a scream, come on.
Ever been so terrified that you can't even bring yourself to scream, and all that comes out instead is a sortof mute whimper?

Me neither, but it happens enough in movies that I'll let it slide.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Podima posted:

If nothing else, I'm glad this is shaping up to be a more technically interesting first murder investigation than 'SHE WROTE LEON BACKWARDS ON THE WALL, CLEARLY IT IS NUMBERS/CHRISTMAS TIME' levels of dramatic irony. I was hoping they'd step it up a bit given the fact that this was a sequel, and thus far I am not disappointed. (For similar examples, compare the 'tutorial trial' of the first Phoenix Wright game with the first trial of Apollo Justice.)

We're literally one update into the investigation. I think more likely than not the first case is going to be fairly easy to solve. I'd wait till we get more evidence bullets before any concrete theories spring up - all we have now are floorboards, a missing skewer, night-vision goggles, stab wounds and a few questionable alibis.

Remember in the first game before 11037 showed up? The theories, they were crazy and rampant.

ferndavant
Jul 5, 2009

Because that's what doggies do! :3:
Less "I'm a better translator!" talk. More love for fan music.

tiistai posted:

This is great! I'd be interested more in how you did this, if you'd share? Is it all digital, or did you use some real instruments? Also, I listened to your other track on tindeck...make more music, please?

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

ferndavant posted:

Less "I'm a better translator!" talk.

Let's Play! > Super Dangan Ronpa 2: Localization For Dummies

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Jeek posted:

The wounds are all between the throat and the stomach, so whatever the reason Togami didn't scream, it is not from an attack on the throat. Also, if Peko wants to murder somebody, it is unwise of her to choose stabbing as she is the one most proficient of doing so.

As for stabbing under the floor, it has been established that the floors are old with gaps between the planks, which would be enough for a skewer to go through. Besides, there is a chance that the knife is a trap for luring Togami, or prepared by a second murderer for his/her own use, either of which case would mean somebody will go under the table and get stabbed.

I can't help but feel you didn't think my post over, and as someone mentioned there's a stab wound right in his, well, what could be his neck. Depends on how much of it his Fat is or isn't obscuring.

Attacking Togami under the floor is incredibly reckless, even with night vision goggles, unless the culprit was planning on stabbing him through the carpet too. Unless I'm horribly misinformed and that Nightvision goggles an indeed see through these things.

(EDIT: I thought I had mentioned this during my last post...guess not)

Let's not forget that someone astutely noticed how one of Togami's lock boxes has been left open, so not only was togami specifically targeted, the culprit must have been able to get out from under the floor and frisk him for his own key to his lock box with the key to the other lockbox.

So the whole point of attacking from the floor seems really moot to me. Now Escaping into the floor on the other hand isn't too bad an idea. It'd prove as a means to get in and out of the otherwise locked bathroom, as well as getting to the circuit breakers, assuming Pekoyama isn't the culprit or has a valid reason to not be guarding the box that the culprit was aware of and could exploit.

Unless perhaps I'm misremembering and the person who saw an open lockbox was mistaken.

Ah, almost forgot. We have an SHSL Bloodhound it seems. perhaps she'll help us in finding the culprit?

Joenen fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 26, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Podima posted:

To be fair lots of people in Japan don't know how to read english so the Leon would have been hard for most people over there to get.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be fair lots of people in Japan don't know how to read english so the Leon would have been hard for most people over there to get.

Lots of people can't speak it. They can read it pretty well. In fact I think oren had some kind of side note that was like 'this fooled absolutely nobody in Japan'.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Lots of people can't speak it. They can read it pretty well. In fact I think oren had some kind of side note that was like 'this fooled absolutely nobody in Japan'.

Huh I knew lots of them could not speak it so I just assumed that reading was the same. Still I learned something new.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ferndavant posted:

This is great! I'd be interested more in how you did this, if you'd share? Is it all digital, or did you use some real instruments? Also, I listened to your other track on tindeck...make more music, please?

Everything except the obvious drum machine and the silly midi saxophone and steel drums are real instruments or household items (guitar, melodica, salt shaker etc). As for how, it was about an hour of recording and five hours finding VSTi's, eating lunch, getting distracted by SA and learning how to use Reaper. There's not really much to it, the song itself is quite simple and easy to learn.

I didn't intend to make this about my music, but long story short I do make music but I don't record it very often.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh I knew lots of them could not speak it so I just assumed that reading was the same. Still I learned something new.

Yeah, even in more rural areas like Ibiraki, English characters are pretty common. As a random example, say 7/11. The signs on the store are in English.

zetsubous posted:

Well, don't mislead anyone -- there is a sign outside the door that says the name of the store in English (which is actually Seven i Holdings, for whatever reason) but it's not like the signs inside the store are in English.

Yeah I worded that badly.

I have no idea why it's Seven & i Holdings though, I swear, I checked every single one I passed. :iiam:

My only guess is that they weren't ever operated from 7 to 11? The name wasn't originally Seven & i Holdings either.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 26, 2013

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

Anatharon posted:

Yeah, even in more rural areas like Ibiraki, English characters are pretty common. As a random example, say 7/11. Their signs are only in English.

Well, don't mislead anyone -- there is a sign outside the door that says the name of the store in English (which is actually Seven i Holdings, for whatever reason) but it's not like the signs inside the store are in English.

But yes, it's true that a lot of people in Japan read much better English than they speak. The schools tend to focus much more on reading and listening than on speaking, and they get the most practice in reading, so many students of English are capable of reading fairly advanced texts while simultaneously not being able to carry on a basic conversation.

To bring this back to the topic of SDR2 -- I've been wondering what Sonia's native language is supposed to be, with a last name like Nevermind. English? I wonder if we're going to get to hear her speak it.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

zetsubous posted:

To bring this back to the topic of SDR2 -- I've been wondering what Sonia's native language is supposed to be, with a last name like Nevermind. English? I wonder if we're going to get to hear her speak it.

Novoselic sounds kind of Slavic to me.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

She speaks grunge.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Given the nation's size, it's probably sandwiched between a few bigger nations, so Novoselic is probably like Switzerland where there's a bunch of languages spoken, but the closest/most dominant neighbor's language is the norm.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

She already described Novoselic in a way that has to mean Liechtenstein, so German.

Seraphim Hubris
Dec 11, 2006

Great thread.

I was lucky enough to start following the last one as it was wrapping up. The wait seems like torture!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Seraphim Hubris posted:

Great thread.

I was lucky enough to start following the last one as it was wrapping up. The wait seems like torture!

Wouldn't you say that it's more like... despair?

I have to agree that oren and Fedule are very good people for doing this. People who translate stuff in general, but these threads have really gone the extra mile (HelloWinter's editing of the screenshot for example, Fedule and oren's extra translation/writing posts etc.)

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Man, I guess it's true that video games desensitize you to violence when Chiaki's reaction to walking in on our corpse party was "welp, you guys better have some people keeping watch in case someone tampers with the evidence". With every new update I feel more like she's going to be the ace detective of this game. If so, she'll be an interesting departure from Kirigiri, who was only stoic about murders and more emotive in general.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tunahead posted:

Man, I guess it's true that video games desensitize you to violence when Chiaki's reaction to walking in on our corpse party was "welp, you guys better have some people keeping watch in case someone tampers with the evidence". With every new update I feel more like she's going to be the ace detective of this game. If so, she'll be an interesting departure from Kirigiri, who was only stoic about murders and more emotive in general.

She's probably played a lot of adventure games, so she's good at investigating things. A total Ace Attorney.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Tunahead posted:

She could just be bottling it up until after the matter has been dealt with, but we can't really tell until after the trial.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waffleman_ posted:

She's probably played a lot of adventure games, so she's good at investigating things. A total Ace Attorney.

Not quite an Ace Attorney. She's played a game just like this before. :unsmigghh:

spd12
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, I'm hoping this will eventually be a thing where the fact this isn't a game (...in-universe) will catch up to Chiaki when she keeps trying to approach situations like those she's encountered in a game and not in real life. Could make for some pretty interesting developments if she ends up being one of the long runners of the cast.

Speaking of which, if I'm not misremembering, Fedule mentioned she had a speaking quirk? I wonder if she's internally going through some responses in her head when prompted to speak like it's some sort of visual novel, given the pauses, with very specific tones making up her remarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
I hope the murder and trials help give an insight into what abilities our insomniac SHSL ??? main character has. Whilst I doubt Hinata is a detective, I have a sneaking suspicion he'll have some talent relevant and useful to the case. SHSL CSI maybe?

• Locked thread