Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I was planning to go to Krakow, Poland this summer. In theory I will have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 to take with me.

I was planning to get one of these prepaid cards. http://www.play.pl/en/

WTF, less than $10 USD for 1GB a month of prepaid data? Am I reading this right? Free mobile to mobile texting and calling? Uh, this is really cheap. Is this just something that is common in Europe? Or is this some kind of scam?

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Insane Totoro posted:

I was planning to go to Krakow, Poland this summer. In theory I will have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 to take with me.

I was planning to get one of these prepaid cards. http://www.play.pl/en/

WTF, less than $10 USD for 1GB a month of prepaid data? Am I reading this right? Free mobile to mobile texting and calling? Uh, this is really cheap. Is this just something that is common in Europe? Or is this some kind of scam?

It's on the low end price-wise, but it's not unheard of. I'm paying 7.50 euros/mo without contract for 1000 minutes, 1000 sms, and 1000mb fullspeed data (then 64kbits/sec unlimited). Just make sure you read the fine print, but it's probably fine.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
It's the same in other countries. Even in Australia and Sweden you can get prepaid SIM cards for less than what you'd pay for an hour of roaming. It's a bit ridiculous from an economic standpoint but that's telecommunications companies for you. If they are intent on charging people 10 cents for 140 bytes of text they can sure believe they can get away with the 10000% roaming surcharges...

The only exception are countries that are ridiculously paranoid regarding phone contracts such as India after the Mumbai attacks or Japan for some weird reason.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Germany has some really strange phone rules, from what I recall. None of the box stores or phone companies could sell you a sim card without activating it themselves, and they had to have documented proof of residence to do that, by law. Or you could go to any of the Turkish corner stores and buy them pre-activated, perfectly legally. The whole thing made no sense.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Thank you for the Zurich replies so far, they've been helpful in getting my wife and I to think of the right kinds of questions to ask. I'll probably be back in here soon as soon as my wife and I organize what we need to know. As of right now, it does appear we are in the central campus, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Aimee
Jan 2, 2007

So, sometime next month, I'm going to Croatia, Serbia, Sweden, and then England.

I have pretty obvious expectations of the latter two but not so much the first two. I have a friend who lives in Zagreb and a friend who lives in Novi Sad... so I will likely be staying in those cities, but I've never been before. I'm going to be in Croatia for probably a month and Novi Sad maybe 2 weeks. Are both of these cities walkable if you're staying near the downtown areas of each? I have friends there who have cars but I imagine for the length I'm staying, I'm going to be doing a fair amount of getting around on my own.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Short summary of trip so far.

London: New York basically

Amsterdam: Really nice if a bit cold

Prague: eh

Munich: Not worth visiting in winter I think, but I want to come back when it's warm.

Innsbruck: quiet, relaxing, nice break

Venice: it's venice. All the good and bad that goes with that

Barcelona: My favorite. Loved it

Madrid: ok. Probably would have liked it better if I hadn't gone to Barcelona first.

Only Paris left. Head there tomorrow morning.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Anyone know if there are decent hiking trails around the French Riviera, specifically between Monaco and Nice? Or do you just have to walk around the highways the entire time and avoid getting hit by Maseratis? I'm booking a place in Èze in early April, and it'd be nice if we could walk around the cliffs/hills, but I guess otherwise we can take the train (or drive).

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E

Aimee posted:

So, sometime next month, I'm going to Croatia, Serbia, Sweden, and then England.

I have pretty obvious expectations of the latter two but not so much the first two. I have a friend who lives in Zagreb and a friend who lives in Novi Sad... so I will likely be staying in those cities, but I've never been before. I'm going to be in Croatia for probably a month and Novi Sad maybe 2 weeks. Are both of these cities walkable if you're staying near the downtown areas of each? I have friends there who have cars but I imagine for the length I'm staying, I'm going to be doing a fair amount of getting around on my own.

I was just coming here to ask about Croatia, as I'm going for a couple of weeks later in the year, so would love to hear recommendations of specific things to do. I'm mostly interested in trekking and seeing beautiful scenery, so if there are any great things which people can recommend beyond the obvious touristy stuff, I would welcome hearing about it!

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Aimee posted:

I'm going to be in Croatia for probably a month and Novi Sad maybe 2 weeks. Are both of these cities walkable if you're staying near the downtown areas of each?
Novi Sad is not a big city (about 230,000 inhabitants) so, yeah, it's absolutely walkable. Two weeks there sounds like it would get pretty boring, imho. Frankly, there's not too much to see and do apart from the centre around Independence Square and the Petrovaradin Fortress. You might want to head to Belgrade for a weekend. It's less than 2 hours by bus and will give you plenty of things to see and do. If you have access to a car you might also want to check out Fruska Gora National Park and some of the Orthodox monasteries there.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Aimee posted:

Zagreb is walkable and also has a good public transport system. Not sure what are you going to do for a whole month... You'll probably want to take trips to the coast or Plitvice lakes, which you can do by bus or train.

Chris! posted:

I was just coming here to ask about Croatia, as I'm going for a couple of weeks later in the year, so would love to hear recommendations of specific things to do. I'm mostly interested in trekking and seeing beautiful scenery, so if there are any great things which people can recommend beyond the obvious touristy stuff, I would welcome hearing about it!

You can't go wrong with the coast. The inside of Istra peninsula is known for great food and trekking. For a much less popular option, you can tour the castles of Hrvatsko Zagorje - region north of Zagreb. Many of them are poorly maintained or even deserted so you can have an authentic haunted castle experience. Check out this page.

BTW, here's a blog by an American expat in Croatia. It's funny and insightful and getting quite popular here.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

BigEasyKittens posted:

My best friend and I are headed to Russia for 8 days in June. We'll be going to Moscow, Novgorod, and St Petersburg. Is there anything we should go see other than the standard touristy fare? Neither of us speak any Russian but are learning a few phrases.

Well, I just got back from Moscow and Saint Petersburg, but I mostly just did standard tourist stuff. I haven't been to Novgorod, but between Moscow and St. Pete, I would recommend spending the majority of the time in St. Petersburg. 3 days in Moscow felt like plenty of time to me, but after 4 days in Saint Petersburg, I felt like I still had a lot to see. And that was in the winter. Everyone I talked to said Hermitage/Catherine Palace/Peter and Paul Fortress are kind of a clusterfuck to get into during summer. I didn't even have time for Peterhof.

Feel free to ask whatever, but here are some random thoughts:

- It probably varies from show to show, but I enjoyed the performance at Mariinsky Theater much more than Bolshoi, although the Bolshoi theater itself was cooler.
- Catherine Palace and Peterhof are far outside St. Pete and also far from the nearest metro stations. There's a train you can take, but it only runs certain times and I know at least Catherine Palace is only open to tourists at certain times during summer. You might want to just pay for a tour. I did Eclectica and it worked out well. They drive you there, get your ticket, and guide you around the Palace in English. They have a booth on Nevsky Prospect near the Gostinnyy Dvor metro stop.
- Hermitage is huge and if you like museums at all, it's worth 2 days.
- If you like deformed babies in jars, Kunstkamera is pretty cool.
- I would definitely recommend trying to learn some Russian. Some people can sort of speak English and some of the tourist places had signs in English, but there were a lot of moments when I was glad I spent a few months learning some Russian.

BigEasyKittens
Aug 27, 2003

Steve112sms posted:

Well, I just got back from Moscow and Saint Petersburg, but I mostly just did standard tourist stuff. I haven't been to Novgorod, but between Moscow and St. Pete, I would recommend spending the majority of the time in St. Petersburg. 3 days in Moscow felt like plenty of time to me, but after 4 days in Saint Petersburg, I felt like I still had a lot to see. And that was in the winter. Everyone I talked to said Hermitage/Catherine Palace/Peter and Paul Fortress are kind of a clusterfuck to get into during summer. I didn't even have time for Peterhof.

Feel free to ask whatever, but here are some random thoughts:

- It probably varies from show to show, but I enjoyed the performance at Mariinsky Theater much more than Bolshoi, although the Bolshoi theater itself was cooler.
- Catherine Palace and Peterhof are far outside St. Pete and also far from the nearest metro stations. There's a train you can take, but it only runs certain times and I know at least Catherine Palace is only open to tourists at certain times during summer. You might want to just pay for a tour. I did Eclectica and it worked out well. They drive you there, get your ticket, and guide you around the Palace in English. They have a booth on Nevsky Prospect near the Gostinnyy Dvor metro stop.
- Hermitage is huge and if you like museums at all, it's worth 2 days.
- If you like deformed babies in jars, Kunstkamera is pretty cool.
- I would definitely recommend trying to learn some Russian. Some people can sort of speak English and some of the tourist places had signs in English, but there were a lot of moments when I was glad I spent a few months learning some Russian.

Thanks so much! I know we have a tour booked to see the Hermitage and Peter and Paul Fortress, so hopefully it won't be too horrible and crowded when we go. We're also going on a tour to see Peterhof instead of Catherine Palace. What show did you get to see at the Mariinsky? I'm waiting for them to put out their schedule for the dates we'll be in town, but I definitely want to go see one. Thanks for the tip on the deformed babies too, I'll keep an eye out :)

Did you take the metro around? Was it fairly easy to use? What are some phrases that you recommend learning? Were the people friendly for the most part?

Oh and I'll be there for 3 days in St Pete, 2 days in Novgorod, and 3 days in Moscow.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
I have 4 weeks starting from the beginning of May to go to Europe. Here is my itinerary so far.

quote:

Barcelona 13-May 17-May

Paris 17-May 21-May

London 21-May 25-May

Brussels 25-May 27-May

Amsterdam 27-May 30-May

Berlin 30-May 1-Jun

Prague 1-Jun 4-Jun

Munich 4-Jun 9-Jun
Any thoughts? I'm extremely flexible on where to visit and for how long. I'm not really inclined to visit Italy; I feel like that would warrant a separate trip. I'm planning on traveling by the Eurorail. Also, going through the last ten pages, I haven't read much about hostel reviews. If you have any awesome / horror stories for hostels in these areas, please post them.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

ProSlayer posted:

I have 4 weeks starting from the beginning of May to go to Europe. Here is my itinerary so far.

Any thoughts? I'm extremely flexible on where to visit and for how long. I'm not really inclined to visit Italy; I feel like that would warrant a separate trip. I'm planning on traveling by the Eurorail. Also, going through the last ten pages, I haven't read much about hostel reviews. If you have any awesome / horror stories for hostels in these areas, please post them.

Do you have to lay out the itinerary in advance? It looks ok but you might want to spend more or less time in each place, so if you can plan less in advance, you might gain some benefit from that.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

Eurailing is not going to be the best choice for that trip, for a whole bunch of reasons. London doesn't have any connections you can use the Eurail on (the only train service through the Channel is the Eurostar, which is a totally separate thing). The Eurostar connects London, Paris and Brussels but you can't use your Eurail on it. Eurostar is like an airline, you can get really cheap tickets but only if you buy them far in advance. Brussels-Amsterdam is a cheapo commuter train, you'd waste like 3/4 the day value of your Eurail using it for that leg. Eurail also doesn't extend to high-speed or sleeper trains, and you have a lot of long-haul rides in there, so if you're working with a fixed schedule you'd be better off buying individual high-speed tickets. What I'd recommend is flying to Barcelona, then flying again to Munich, and then doing the rest of your itinerary basically in reverse so you can fly out of London (almost always cheaper than the rest of the continent for US connections). Book high-speed trains in advance and you'll end up spending comparable amounts of money as the Eurail (if you book early enough) but save considerable amounts of time.

The Eurail pass is really ideal if you're (some combination of) moving around mostly over medium distances, have a lot of time, are going places with terrible ticket queues, and need to be able to change your entire itinerary on the fly, none of which really apply to your trip.

e: or go the exact opposite of this advice and get a eurail and go with no pre-planned itinerary at all, that's what I'd personally do.

duralict fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 2, 2013

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

DNova posted:

Do you have to lay out the itinerary in advance? It looks ok but you might want to spend more or less time in each place, so if you can plan less in advance, you might gain some benefit from that.

How far in advance do you think I need to book a hostel? I don't mind being flexible when I get there; I just don't want to end up homeless for a night because I didn't decide where to stay until the last minute.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

If you're not picky, you can almost always find acceptable places the day before. If you want good hostels, 2-3 days in advance is a good rule of thumb.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

duralict posted:

If you're not picky, you can almost always find acceptable places the day before. If you want good hostels, 2-3 days in advance is a good rule of thumb.

Agreed with this.

There is also couchsurfing or airbnb for more options.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

duralict posted:

Eurailing is not going to be the best choice for that trip, for a whole bunch of reasons. London doesn't have any connections you can use the Eurail on (the only train service through the Channel is the Eurostar, which is a totally separate thing). The Eurostar connects London, Paris and Brussels but you can't use your Eurail on it. Eurostar is like an airline, you can get really cheap tickets but only if you buy them far in advance. Brussels-Amsterdam is a cheapo commuter train, you'd waste like 3/4 the day value of your Eurail using it for that leg. Eurail also doesn't extend to high-speed or sleeper trains, and you have a lot of long-haul rides in there, so if you're working with a fixed schedule you'd be better off buying individual high-speed tickets. What I'd recommend is flying to Barcelona, then flying again to Munich, and then doing the rest of your itinerary basically in reverse so you can fly out of London (almost always cheaper than the rest of the continent for US connections). Book high-speed trains in advance and you'll end up spending comparable amounts of money as the Eurail (if you book early enough) but save considerable amounts of time.

The Eurail pass is really ideal if you're (some combination of) moving around mostly over medium distances, have a lot of time, are going places with terrible ticket queues, and need to be able to change your entire itinerary on the fly, none of which really apply to your trip.

e: or go the exact opposite of this advice and get a eurail and go with no pre-planned itinerary at all, that's what I'd personally do.

Thanks for the advice about the Eurostar. I didn't realize that the Eurorail was limited to the mainland. I want to avoid flying to be honest. What high speed trains are recommended other than the Eurorail? Also, if I did get the eurail and decided to chuck the itinerary, I'd still want to visit the same locations. How would it be much different from having an itinerary pre-planned?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ProSlayer posted:

Barcelona 13-May 17-May

Paris 17-May 21-May

London 21-May 25-May

Brussels 25-May 27-May

Amsterdam 27-May 30-May

Berlin 30-May 1-Jun

Prague 1-Jun 4-Jun

Munich 4-Jun 9-Jun

If you can, cut down on Munich and add days to Berlin. Plan your train trips on bahn.de.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

ProSlayer posted:

Thanks for the advice about the Eurostar. I didn't realize that the Eurorail was limited to the mainland. I want to avoid flying to be honest. What high speed trains are recommended other than the Eurorail? Also, if I did get the eurail and decided to chuck the itinerary, I'd still want to visit the same locations. How would it be much different from having an itinerary pre-planned?

Well, when I did it, I had the full three months allowed by the Schengen visa and a Eurail that was good for most of that time. I didn't really take high-speed trains (other than Eurostar) because there's always somewhere else cool to go within about 3-4 hours, anywhere in Europe. I just pieced my way across the continent like that hopping on trains that were convenient and stopping places that looked interesting or that other people I met recommended. I had a Google Maps file with pins in it all over the place for ideas but didn't have an actual itinerary - I ended up going almost everywhere I'd marked out, but also to a lot of other places too, and spent considerably longer/shorter times in some places than I expected. That's the advantage of going without a fixed itinerary, you get to stay places that interest you longer, and don't get stuck hanging around places that aren't grabbing you so much. Eurail is great for that kind of travel because you don't have to plan anything, really. The thing is, I knew I had time to hit all the places I wanted to see even if I just dicked around for two months en route between them, so it worked out for me. It wasn't a problem if I had to stay an extra day because I didn't plan around some massive holiday and the trains were too crowded to be worth it, or something. And I wasn't going to be heartbroken if I ended up missing a couple places altogether (and I skipped a lot of stuff I was excited about because of timing or logistics) because I knew I'd stumble across other equally exciting things (and I totally did, google Buzludja for an example of something I never would have found if I'd been on a preplanned itinerary).

I'm not sure it would be the best idea for your specific trip because you've got a pretty specific agenda of stuff you want to see and it's an agenda without a whole lot of wiggle room in the timing. Coordinating travel is like coordinating any event - the more specific your requirements, the more important advance planning becomes. Let go of those requirements as much as possible (is it actually vital that you make it to X? Or did you just put it on the itinerary because it's conveniently near Y or sounds cool?) and go with the flow - don't overestimate how hard it actually is to slap these things together. But advance planning and money are pretty much interchangeable, as far as achieving specific travel goals goes. So if you have a lot of absolutely mandatory stops, it's better to plan for them in advance, because being flexible means not all the things on your "want to do" list will actually end up happening.

And yes, bahn.de is by far the best site for booking trains in europe. For planning purposes, seat61.com has a lot of excellent writeups on how things are laid out, what the differences in lines are, and which lines you need to book early. It also gives you a better idea of how long some of these things take.

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend

duralict posted:

Well, when I did it, I had the full three months allowed by the Schengen visa and a Eurail that was good for most of that time. I didn't really take high-speed trains (other than Eurostar) because there's always somewhere else cool to go within about 3-4 hours, anywhere in Europe. I just pieced my way across the continent like that hopping on trains that were convenient and stopping places that looked interesting or that other people I met recommended. I had a Google Maps file with pins in it all over the place for ideas but didn't have an actual itinerary - I ended up going almost everywhere I'd marked out, but also to a lot of other places too, and spent considerably longer/shorter times in some places than I expected. That's the advantage of going without a fixed itinerary, you get to stay places that interest you longer, and don't get stuck hanging around places that aren't grabbing you so much. Eurail is great for that kind of travel because you don't have to plan anything, really. The thing is, I knew I had time to hit all the places I wanted to see even if I just dicked around for two months en route between them, so it worked out for me. It wasn't a problem if I had to stay an extra day because I didn't plan around some massive holiday and the trains were too crowded to be worth it, or something. And I wasn't going to be heartbroken if I ended up missing a couple places altogether (and I skipped a lot of stuff I was excited about because of timing or logistics) because I knew I'd stumble across other equally exciting things (and I totally did, google Buzludja for an example of something I never would have found if I'd been on a preplanned itinerary).

I'm not sure it would be the best idea for your specific trip because you've got a pretty specific agenda of stuff you want to see and it's an agenda without a whole lot of wiggle room in the timing. Coordinating travel is like coordinating any event - the more specific your requirements, the more important advance planning becomes. Let go of those requirements as much as possible (is it actually vital that you make it to X? Or did you just put it on the itinerary because it's conveniently near Y or sounds cool?) and go with the flow - don't overestimate how hard it actually is to slap these things together. But advance planning and money are pretty much interchangeable, as far as achieving specific travel goals goes. So if you have a lot of absolutely mandatory stops, it's better to plan for them in advance, because being flexible means not all the things on your "want to do" list will actually end up happening.

And yes, bahn.de is by far the best site for booking trains in europe. For planning purposes, seat61.com has a lot of excellent writeups on how things are laid out, what the differences in lines are, and which lines you need to book early. It also gives you a better idea of how long some of these things take.

That makes a lot more sense. I suppose since I have a lot less time I have to choose between flexibility and "mandatory" places to visit. Unfortunately, I feel bad crossing off any of the items on my list, and I can't accurately say which places I like more than others without visiting them, sort of a catch-22. I'm going to stick to the schedule for now. I have decided against using a eurail pass and instead buying the train tickets individually.

Barcelona -> Paris - Sleeper train
Paris -> London - Eurostar
London -> Brussels - Eurostar
Bruseels -> Amsterdam - ?
Amsterdam -> Berlin - ?
Berlin -> Prague - ?
Prague -> Munich - ?

I'll be using bahn.com (.de is in german) to check out what travel is available. Also, cutting two days from Munich for Berlin. Thanks for the help duralict/Jeoh.

ProSlayer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 3, 2013

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

DNova posted:

I think it's a good idea to lay out an itinerary in advance and also figure out transportation between places and even likely places to stay, but then not book anything but the first city ahead of time. That way you can always change your mind or go a different way for a bit, but you'll end up wasting way less of your actual trip researching train options and looking for decent places to stay.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Also I love airbnb. If you have the money, having your own apartment to cook and wash clothes in is great, and if not you can get a room in a local family's place and get to know some locals.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.
Regarding trains from Amsterdam <-> Brussels: Due to troubles with the new type of train (the Fyra) on that route, and bickering between the Dutch and Belgian railways, that connection is hosed up.

It used to be: get in in Amsterdam, get out in Brussels.

Now its either: take the Thalys (more expensive train, reservation required) from Amsterdam to Brussel-Midi (south), or (here is where it gets good) Amsterdam -> Roosendaal (the border) -> Antwerp Central -> Brussel Central.

More on http://www.fyra.com/Travel

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Bastard posted:

Regarding trains from Amsterdam <-> Brussels: Due to troubles with the new type of train (the Fyra) on that route, and bickering between the Dutch and Belgian railways, that connection is hosed up.

It used to be: get in in Amsterdam, get out in Brussels.

Now its either: take the Thalys (more expensive train, reservation required) from Amsterdam to Brussel-Midi (south), or (here is where it gets good) Amsterdam -> Roosendaal (the border) -> Antwerp Central -> Brussel Central.

More on http://www.fyra.com/Travel

There's also (temporarily) an intercity train between The Hague and Brussels, so that would potentially allow you to do it with only one transfer. Depending on time and whether they will allow this service to continue. I also don't think it's in any of the planners for the NS (national rail) - out of spite, undoubtedly. Yeah, it's a pretty hosed up situation.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

EricBauman posted:

There's also (temporarily) an intercity train between The Hague and Brussels, so that would potentially allow you to do it with only one transfer. Depending on time and whether they will allow this service to continue. I also don't think it's in any of the planners for the NS (national rail) - out of spite, undoubtedly. Yeah, it's a pretty hosed up situation.

This is weird, i heard on the radio that the Beneluxtrein (straight intercity connection) had been restored, twice daily for now and 8 times a day starting March 17. But i can't really find any info about this anywhere.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

Saladman posted:

Anyone know if there are decent hiking trails around the French Riviera, specifically between Monaco and Nice? Or do you just have to walk around the highways the entire time and avoid getting hit by Maseratis? I'm booking a place in Èze in early April, and it'd be nice if we could walk around the cliffs/hills, but I guess otherwise we can take the train (or drive).

You can try to have a look to the via ferrata. There is nice ones in the French Riviera. There is a nice one in Peille near to the city you will go :)

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
If I want to book a flight from Venice to Barcelona (and I'm staying near the city center in both places), should I do
a) VCE->BCN (~$200, Vueling)
b) TSF->BCN (~$150, Ryanair)
c) TSF->GRO (~$90, Ryanair)

I will probably want to check 1 bag, so that's like another $15-$20.

How much more of a pain in the rear end is it to take a bus/coach from Venice to TSF? (it's like 8 euro, and 40 minutes).
How much of a hassle is it to get from GRO to Barcelona?

$200 is well within the realm of affordability for me, just wondering if you all think that the other airports are considerably less convenient than the main ones.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BCN to Barcelona centre takes about 25m. GRO to Barcelona centre takes about 1h30m. Keep in mind that Vueling's aircraft are a bit more comfortable, and don't forget the luggage charges etc. Most of the time you can get a ~90 euro flight from VCE to BCN with Iberia or Vueling (at 10PM). BCN will still have buses going (hell I went there at 4AM and it was still open).

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 10, 2013

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Heading to Lisbon and Madrid for 2 weeks later this month. woot woot

maxnmona posted:

Short summary of trip so far.

London: New York basically

Amsterdam: Really nice if a bit cold

Prague: eh

Munich: Not worth visiting in winter I think, but I want to come back when it's warm.

Innsbruck: quiet, relaxing, nice break

Venice: it's venice. All the good and bad that goes with that

Barcelona: My favorite. Loved it

Madrid: ok. Probably would have liked it better if I hadn't gone to Barcelona first.

Only Paris left. Head there tomorrow morning.

Did you post any meatier thoughts than this anywhere? Just curious.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

corkskroo posted:

Heading to Lisbon and Madrid for 2 weeks later this month. woot woot

Did you post any meatier thoughts than this anywhere? Just curious.

I haven't

Generally my plan for cities worked out fine, and I can't say I ever felt rushed. Traveling in winter was great in certain ways. My guidebook would warn me that a sight "always has at least an hour wait" and go to find three people waiting to get in. Certain cities though it just didn't work. Munich is not great in the winter, because it's freezing and all the beer gardens, which is one of the reasons you'd go to Munich, are closed for the winter.

And then other stuff I never expected became highlights. I almost skipped Innsbruck because I was just going to visit a friend. But I ended up going for a day to see her, and staying at the hotel she works at up in the mountains. It was extraordinarily beautiful, just wandering around a small town in the Alps, surrounded by these towering mountains. I was glad I decided to come after all.

I will say that when calculating travel times for train vs. plane, remember to include getting to/from airport, and waiting at the airport. I flew from Madrid to Paris, which is a 2 hour flight, but after all of those things it was actually about 7 hours, and involved having to get up at 3 am. Meanwhile the train was 9 hours and left at a reasonable time. I think I would have rather spent an extra 2 hours and not had the airport hassle.

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 10, 2013

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hog Obituary posted:

If I want to book a flight from Venice to Barcelona (and I'm staying near the city center in both places), should I do
a) VCE->BCN (~$200, Vueling)
b) TSF->BCN (~$150, Ryanair)
c) TSF->GRO (~$90, Ryanair)

I will probably want to check 1 bag, so that's like another $15-$20.

How much more of a pain in the rear end is it to take a bus/coach from Venice to TSF? (it's like 8 euro, and 40 minutes).
How much of a hassle is it to get from GRO to Barcelona?

$200 is well within the realm of affordability for me, just wondering if you all think that the other airports are considerably less convenient than the main ones.

Speaking from personal experience (I pass through both VCE and TSF several times a year because of work): it's better if you go through TSF. Shorter queues, less traffic on the airport so it's less likely you'll get delayed for whatever reason, and the bus drops you right outside the terminal so there's little (if any) walking to do.

Plus, there's not much of a difference in distance. Starting from Venice proper, depending on traffic, it may take about 20-25 minutes to get to VCE.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

ProSlayer posted:

I'd cut down Brussels to maybe half a day before travelling on to Amsterdam - it's just not that interesting. Spend the extra time in Paris and London.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

sweek0 posted:

I'd cut down Brussels to maybe half a day before travelling on to Amsterdam - it's just not that interesting. Spend the extra time in Paris and London.

You are a bad person :argh:

Brussels is pretty amazing if you know where to go/look. Spend the morning pootling around Grand Place, St. Catherine etc and just walk the city for a bit. Grab a beer for lunch and then hit up the Magritte Museum, which is extremely cool.

After you get out, it's time for pre-dinner drinks. Go to Moeder Lambic, drink weird rear end Belgian beers that you've never heard of, go to nuetnienough or Viva M'boma for a not-too-expensive-dinner with more good beer, and then find a good place in the St. Catherine area for drinks. I heartily recommend the little red caipirinha/cocktail outside the St. Catherine cathedral.

When you're happy and feeling like a good time, head to Delirium (2000+ beers available), or Ms. Moustache for all-night party hard.

Brussels is cool as gently caress :colbert:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I'm in Geneva for work till Thursday, so give me something cool to do. I've already scored tickets for the car show, so what else is there to see and do? I'm in to all manner of poo poo, so all recommendations please! :kiddo:

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

kru posted:

I'm in Geneva for work till Thursday, so give me something cool to do. I've already scored tickets for the car show, so what else is there to see and do? I'm in to all manner of poo poo, so all recommendations please! :kiddo:

The Patek Philippe watch museum is nice if you're interested in that kind of stuff, and try to eat at as many arab or african restaurants as you can. If you have time, you might want to go to the Valais for an outdoor thermal spa or some snow hiking.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

kru posted:

John Calvin's chair is in the main cathedral in the old town, so that should take about 5 minutes to see, along with the nearby Jet d'Eau, which is probably off because it's windy and cloudy, but hey maybe not.

Evian is nearby if you want to see "la source" which is a faucet in an old, run-down façade in the hills immediately north of town. Expect to wait in line behind dozens of Asians, each filling dozens of 2L bottles.

If you go as far as Lausanne, the most interesting museum (and unique) there is the Musee de l'Art Brut, which is art by crazy people. I think there are only three or four museums in the world like it, and it was the first. Great exhibits.

Sorry, Geneva sucks for a city of its renown. There's the UN you could visit and CERN too, though you'd've needed to've booked months in advance for CERN. I've never seen either, but they've been on my "to do" list for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

kru posted:

Well you said you're into all manner of poo poo so...

Get a fondue at Bains de Paquis. It's a really low-key, minimal service (you order at the counter and they wander through the dining room and shout your name about 10 minutes later) "restaurant," but the fondue is drat good and it's cheap. It's also good for lunch, but they just have one set meal per day. Again, it's dirt cheap (by Swiss standards) at lunch time.

The best chocolate cake in Geneva is at Mortimer Restaurant.

If you want a thing to do: tomorrow night (Tuesday) there will be a big time soccer/football match (Barcelona v AC Milan). If you want to see grown men cry, go to Pickwick's pub around quarter to nine.

Saladman's right, it's a drat boring town. I don't really do nightclubs so I can't help you there. If you just want a bar to drink in, the Art Cafe is not bad.

I guess I'm a scumbag because all of these places are in the Paquis (except for Mortimer, that's in the old town). :shrug: