Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
My studio was officially shut down today. Many are transferring to the mothership in SF.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/25/zynga-shuts-baltimore-studio-and-consolidates-three-other-locations/

I'm not exactly sure what's next for me, but I'm trying to see what my options are. I may be looking for work as a mobile/social games artist if anyone knows of openings. I am a senior artist. This is my portfolio I put together in a weekend: http://art.helenzhang.com
Please pm me if you want to see the password protected entries. I may be adding more to it later but wanted to get something up ASAP.

I have a pretty diverse skillset - I'm a wizard of flash animation and drawing cute stuff. I could clean house on a UV unwrap and texture painting. I'm going to devote some time to filling holes in my portfolio and skillset as an artist -- top on my list is to get more environment work in my portfolio. I'm also frighteningly good with solving technical issues. Anyways, that's my spiel! Thanks for any support.

Frown Town fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Heh. Apple rejected my build again. For the same reason as last time.

All I can figure (since they offer zero explanation) is that they didn't notice my options menu. So now the options button is big and obnoxious-er, AND I added a second restore purchases button into the store interface itself, parallel to the actual purchases. It looks stupid / makes zero sense from a user flow perspective, but oh well.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 25, 2013

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You can reply to those rejections, you know! And you can add notes for the reviewers when you submit. I've had rejections that were really terribly worded and had to open a dialogue to sort things out.

There is a system in place to let them put your submission on hold if they have a question, which it sounds like they absolutely should have done in your case if you got knocked back for the same thing twice. It's terrible that they didn't use it, but I do wonder about the staffing situation of the review team because like I said, sometimes the notes on a rejection are so bad that they're riddled with typos and make no sense.

Edit because it sounds similar: Once got rejected for not having a restore purchases button, then got submission paused because it wasn't big enough relative to the purchase button (which was on the same page.)

Akuma fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 25, 2013

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Frown Town posted:

My studio was officially shut down today. Many are transferring to the mothership in SF.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/25/zynga-shuts-baltimore-studio-and-consolidates-three-other-locations/

I'm not exactly sure what's next for me, but I'm trying to see what my options are. I may be looking for work as a mobile/social games artist if anyone knows of openings. I am a senior artist. This is my portfolio I put together in a weekend: http://art.helenzhang.com
Please pm me if you want to see the password protected entries. I may be adding more to it later but wanted to get something up ASAP.

I have a pretty diverse skillset - I'm a wizard of flash animation and drawing cute stuff. I could clean house on a UV unwrap and texture painting. I'm going to devote some time to filling holes in my portfolio and skillset as an artist -- top on my list is to get more environment work in my portfolio. I'm also frighteningly good with solving technical issues. Anyways, that's my spiel! Thanks for any support.

:glomp:
I might be out of a job next week too, if my company can't secure funding :smith:

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Frown Town posted:

I'm not sure if we're hiring for artists; I'll bug my Art Director and see. But in general, if you or your co-workers are considering the move to SF anyway, the company I work for is hiring: http://www.booyah.com/jobs/. We're just down the street from Zynga HQ in SOMA, and it'll be loads more fun to work at.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Akuma posted:

You can reply to those rejections, you know! And you can add notes for the reviewers when you submit. I've had rejections that were really terribly worded and had to open a dialogue to sort things out.

There is a system in place to let them put your submission on hold if they have a question, which it sounds like they absolutely should have done in your case if you got knocked back for the same thing twice. It's terrible that they didn't use it, but I do wonder about the staffing situation of the review team because like I said, sometimes the notes on a rejection are so bad that they're riddled with typos and make no sense.

Edit because it sounds similar: Once got rejected for not having a restore purchases button, then got submission paused because it wasn't big enough relative to the purchase button (which was on the same page.)
I've added feedback and tried to start a dialog every time. They have never responded. It is frustrating, but - hey. That's the process.

I am dealing with my grief via a cuppa and cherry streusel. If I get rejected again, I'll probably eat an entire pie.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 25, 2013

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Shalinor posted:

I've added feedback and tried to start a dialog every time. They have never responded. It is frustrating, but - hey. That's the process.

I am dealing with my grief via a cuppa and cherry streusel. If I get rejected again, I'll probably eat an entire pie.
poo poo's rough. Hope you get it sorted out soon, want to save kitties from fires.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Another rejection, not the right experience. I'll just go out and get some then.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
They sell that in stores, right? :downsicide:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So I just left my role at Kabam to join Z2Live where I will be heading up their publishing/BD department. Also where I may die from frostbite due to living in California my whole life before this.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Comrade Flynn posted:

So I just left my role at Kabam to join Z2Live where I will be heading up their publishing/BD department. Also where I may die from frostbite due to living in California my whole life before this.

Congrats! As a signing bonus, you'll get to hear our pitch a second time!

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Comrade Flynn posted:

Awesome!
One of the first guys I ever worked with is the CEO of Z2Live right now. Been great to see him make it.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

devilmouse posted:

Congrats! As a signing bonus, you'll get to hear our pitch a second time!

I yearn deeply for the day when you can actually show me something.

Acethomas posted:

Awesome!
One of the first guys I ever worked with is the CEO of Z2Live right now. Been great to see him make it.

Lou is the one that personally recruited me. Great guy.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

I yearn deeply for the day when you can actually show me something.

Lou is the one that personally recruited me. Great guy.

And there are a lot of us in this thread. So stop by the platform side when you get here!

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Shalinor posted:

Heh. Apple rejected my build again. For the same reason as last time.

All I can figure (since they offer zero explanation) is that they didn't notice my options menu. So now the options button is big and obnoxious-er, AND I added a second restore purchases button into the store interface itself, parallel to the actual purchases. It looks stupid / makes zero sense from a user flow perspective, but oh well.

I had my build rejected once for suggesting that if performance was bad to consider resetting your iPhone. This was back on the Gen2 iPhones that were notorious for having terrible memory cleanup and it was common practice to reset your phone for games.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Aha, oh boy, the hits just keep coming. So today was our very small coming out party as a Real Studio complete with a website and whatnot. There were a couple of brief articles on Polygon, Kotaku, and the like, and since it happened to unfortunately dovetail with Zynga closing down the Baltimore office, it let the journos write a "rising from the ashes" type thing. No big deal, back to work...

Until!

Apparently random people at Zynga, having seen said press, are now actively making fun of us for some reason? "They made a stupid sloth hugging game and now they're going to release a word game? LOL Can't wait to see their DAU!" I'm so confused that I'm laughing. Yes, because there's ample chest-puffing to be done when a few dudes from a closed studio are doing their own thing, unfunded, for the joy of it.

Stay classy, Zynga.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

I hadn't heard about our ex-coworkers talking smack. That's awful and I can't imagine it being more unnecessary, although I never remembered the mothership taking even oblique criticism well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sloth Snuggler by Zynga.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

What's DAU?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Don't Ask Us.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Monochrome posted:

I hadn't heard about our ex-coworkers talking smack. That's awful and I can't imagine it being more unnecessary, although I never remembered the mothership taking even oblique criticism well.

It's sort of awesome. Someone stepped in to defend us, I guess, with the equivalent of "Well, they've shipped as many things as we have in the past few months and haven't had to lay anyone off, so there's that." Oh, how I wish I still had some of those skype channels open!

Daily Active Users - how many unique people are playing the game on a given day. Sloth has ~800 DAU steady-state!

SynthOrange posted:

Sloth Snuggler by Zynga.

Only in my wildest dreams...

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

devilmouse posted:

Apparently random people at Zynga, having seen said press, are now actively making fun of us for some reason? "They made a stupid sloth hugging game and now they're going to release a word game? LOL Can't wait to see their DAU!"

I am genuinely bewildered how there can be people who work their arses off trying to get into games, an industry where most everyone knows each other, can then turn around and poo poo on other devs. It's like the worst mixture of unprofessional and childish.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

devilmouse posted:

It's sort of awesome. Someone stepped in to defend us, I guess, with the equivalent of "Well, they've shipped as many things as we have in the past few months and haven't had to lay anyone off, so there's that." Oh, how I wish I still had some of those skype channels open!

Got so mad I posted on fb about it. Grr.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Aliginge posted:

I am genuinely bewildered how there can be people who work their arses off trying to get into games, an industry where most everyone knows each other, can then turn around and poo poo on other devs. It's like the worst mixture of unprofessional and childish.

There's a reason our industry has a reputation for being the domain of gigantic man-children :sigh:

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

devilmouse posted:

Daily Active Users - how many unique people are playing the game on a given day. Sloth has ~800 DAU steady-state!

Just to add to this:

DAU/MAU (D, Daily; M, Monthly) is a measure of engagement. You want to target at least 20% DAU/MAU. You obviously want to measure return, too, but a high engagement ratio is generally indicative of a healthy product.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/26/never-take-your-eyes-off-this-hacker-metric/

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Chasiubao posted:

There's a reason our industry has a reputation for being the domain of gigantic man-children :sigh:

I think I was slightly spoiled at my last job, working with family men for the most part. :goleft:

I was probably the most manchildish there given my airsoft fixation.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

devilmouse posted:

Apparently random people at Zynga, having seen said press, are now actively making fun of us for some reason? "They made a stupid sloth hugging game and now they're going to release a word game? LOL Can't wait to see their DAU!" I'm so confused that I'm laughing. Yes, because there's ample chest-puffing to be done when a few dudes from a closed studio are doing their own thing, unfunded, for the joy of it.

Stay classy, Zynga.

That's extremely atypical from what I've seen so far in the industry. People are generally very supportive even of people quitting a company to start a new project, let alone being laid off and still finding a way to make fun games. I think the problem may be that Zynga is full of assholes.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Does Zynga create assholes or attract them? :iiam:

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

devilmouse posted:

Stay classy, Zynga.
Woukd have thought in your position you'd know this isn't one corporate behemoth that can all be tarred with one brush. "Everyone still there is a bitter prick with hostile feelings toward ex-employees" isn't exactly a healthy attitude for you to be spreading either, indie-champ.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I'll agree with that as soon as anyone in authority says that behavior isn't okay and officially wishes their ex-developers well in their future endeavors. When acompany's that big and that influential, permission of that kind of employee behavior may as well be endorsement.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FreakyZoid posted:

Woukd have thought in your position you'd know this isn't one corporate behemoth that can all be tarred with one brush. "Everyone still there is a bitter prick with hostile feelings toward ex-employees" isn't exactly a healthy attitude for you to be spreading either, indie-champ.

I'm with ceebee on this issue. Let terrible behavior be shouted from the rooftops. It's the assholes who are unprofessional, not the whistleblowers.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

And if he was whistle blowing I'd agree. But saying 1000+ people are unprofessional because of the behaviour of a tiny subset isn't whistle blowing.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Oh, it's definitely just random cranky people (who got shouted down by friends still there, like I said above). I didn't mean it as whistleblowing or to paint with a wide brush, it was just more a interesting reflection on my previous employers and the attitudes possessed there. It bends my brain to even think of that as a sentiment that could be had somewhere.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Aliginge posted:

To be fair Zynga doesn't make games, so anyone working there isn't really in the games industry.

ZingZyng!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

I am comfortable making fun of Zynga, even if I know a lot of people there trying to make genuinely good games. It's, like, tradition, at this point.

Though the dude I knew best there is now a head honcho over at the dudes making World of Tanks, which is 1000% cooler. Totally wish I could take a job with him, but agh, must stay indie, "because."

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Frown Town posted:

Have you thought about adding more high res stuff or are you mainly interested in assets/environments and/or iphone style games?

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
I got some really solid experience at ZEast and met people I truly respect and admire- the only solace I have about the big Z is that many of those coworkers are transferring; I'm hoping they have a positive influence on the culture out there and don't get sucked into the vortex.
I've had a lot of recruiters contact me and a bunch of help from SA-- which is a huge morale booster for me. I think every time I've hit this kind of bump in the road, there's always been something more rewarding on the other side. At the very least it's an opportunity to grow as an artist and individual-- and a good refresher on how the hell to interview/negotiate.

E: ^^^ I've considered it but I'm not particularly interested in huge teams or console development. I think where I shine is smaller teams that can use my skillset and ability to communicate with developers and designers. If the job stuff goes south ill look into some higher poly stuff.
I just don't think the future of gaming is in super high poly and high res stuff. At some point I might try to get really good with UI design since that's easier to apply to other fields and might mean I'm employed more often than not.
I'm really not cut out to be a cog. I don't have the attention span for that kind of cut and dry work. The kind of projects I'm attracted to require a lot of creative problem solving and are less about showing off my ability to render each pore. At the end of the day, I want to make games that are fun. If the art style supports the gameplay, I'm down to do whatever.

Frown Town fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 27, 2013

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Frown Town posted:

I got some really solid experience at ZEast and met people I truly respect and admire- the only solace I have about the big Z is that many of those coworkers are transferring; I'm hoping they have a positive influence on the culture out there and don't get sucked into the vortex.
I've had a lot of recruiters contact me and a bunch of help from SA-- which is a huge morale booster for me. I think every time I've hit this kind of bump in the road, there's always been something more rewarding on the other side. At the very least it's an opportunity to grow as an artist and individual-- and a good refresher on how the hell to interview/negotiate.

It's very important to know that just because you were laid off that you're not a failure. I know it's easy to say and easy to understand but it still stings like a son a of bitch. I'm not familiar with the skillsets required for IOS type companies but your resume/artwork/assets all seem decent. I'd hate to give bad advice since I only work in a cinematics department. I think your attitude of looking at it as a chance to brush up on old skills and learning some new ones is a good idea.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It's very important to know that just because you were laid off that you're not a failure. I know it's easy to say and easy to understand but it still stings like a son a of bitch.

Very very true. When DNA Studios collapsed in November it was a kick to the stomach. I knew that it wasn't due to me and my art, but what did feel like my fault was the fact it took what seems like a long time after that for me to get any job interest. Like I am back at the bottom of the ladder and you have those stories of how Game Dev hubs like Leamington Spa or Dundee regularly swap staff and then it doesn't turn out true for yourself.

That said it gets better when interest starts coming back, like I'm hoping to hear back from 4j any day now and I may have secured an interview with another dundee studio! Helps the ego a bit! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
I stopped internalizing that kind of stuff after witnessing some gnarly poo poo at literally every company I've been employed with, including BHG. I recognize that games (the kind that command a salary or can pay people to work on them) are a business and if they aren't profitable, often for reasons outside of your control, people can't keep getting paid.

What I struggle with is the idea of signing up for such a tumultuous and unstable lifestyle, but part of me is extremely drawn to high risk, high reward type development (and maybe in these scenarios I become much more integral to the success or failure of the team-- feeling like I matter drives me). The only thing now is picking places more smartly that I think will keep me on board long enough for me to achieve some degree of personal and artistic growth. I'm really lucky to be in that kind of situation since I have zero debt and a lot saved.