Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's not really crunching numbers and stuff. You might have to look at a wiki to see how to get a particular item, see a monster's weaknesses or understand a weapon a lot better, but upgrades and most crafts are pretty straightforward. It's just ridiculous that you have to look at a wiki at all, but once you do it's super simple.

Alright. I'll give it a try, but if I have to click on the screen with a stylus to dodge monsters, I'm going to be pissed.

It seems to be a very popular game, so I might like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Alcholism Rocks posted:

Alright. I'll give it a try, but if I have to click on the screen with a stylus to dodge monsters, I'm going to be pissed.

Good news! You don't!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Alcholism Rocks posted:

It seems to be a very popular game, so I might like it.

Watch someone play it on YouTube first. There is a demo, but it dumps you into a hunting mission with no tutorial, so it doesn't really show you whether or not you like it.

Monster Hunter is definitely a niche (and obtuse) game-- just because it's popular on message boards and in Japan does not mean you will like it. This game deserves some research before you drop $60 on it.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
^^^^ - OK, I will investigate it some more.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Good news! You don't!

Cool. :sun:

As for that Lego game, is it basically a kid friendly version of GTA with your character being some sort of mash up of John McClane and Dirty Harry? I've heard rumors of being able to cause massive amounts of destruction to the environment.

edit: Can Monster Hunter be played in an offline mode?

Alcholism Rocks fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 25, 2013

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

For MH demo I started and pcked a guy with a huge sword and promptly had flashbacks of OOT plodding around in iron boots. I restarted with a faster guy and it was much better. I can see how much fun this would be with 4 people. Unfortunately thats now a viable way for me to play. Oh well.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Alcholism Rocks posted:

edit: Can Monster Hunter be played in an offline mode?

MH is best played online, but yes, you can play offline if you want.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

For MH demo I started and pcked a guy with a huge sword and promptly had flashbacks of OOT plodding around in iron boots.

The greatsword is basically mega burst damage and then poo poo at everything else. You're supposed to have it sheathed for most of the fight, and only draw it when the monster is wide-open to a charge attack (hold X until the third charge and release immediately, you should see a jet of light all around you if you timed it right), and maybe some minor combos if they're exhausted/stunned/etc.

The GSword is probably the hardest melee weapon to use though, especially since it's really difficult to tell how well you're doing. I used it on Lagombi and I thought my damage output was complete garbage. And then it was dead in six minutes. :shobon:

Longsword, Hammer, SnS and Dual Swords are good starting points since they're really easy to get the hang of and pretty fast. Bowguns quite honestly require some reading up/youtube watching to use properly, but the bow is a really simple and mobile ranged weapon.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 25, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bobnumerotres posted:

The GSword is probably the hardest melee weapon to use though, especially since it's really difficult to tell how well you're doing. I used it on Lagombi and I thought my damage output was complete garbage. And then it was dead in six minutes. :shobon:
How long are fights supposed to last?

Also, was I drowning when I was underwater? I couldn't figure out what the life bar was doing. It would drain a small amount and then seemed to refill that small amount, and then jumped down again?

I suspect this is a good game, but it really doesn't want me to know it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

How long are fights supposed to last?
Depends. Average fight ranges from 8~15 minutes, more if you're really bad. The full game will give you 50 minutes per hunt so you don't really have to sweat it, but you'll become an efficient killer with experience.

quote:

Also, was I drowning when I was underwater? I couldn't figure out what the life bar was doing. It would drain a small amount and then seemed to refill that small amount, and then jumped down again?
A small blue meter will appear to the left of your health bar underwater, that's your oxygen. The blue chest at the start of that quest contains a "Mini-oxy supply" which will refill that meter. There are certain places underwater where there's bubbles and those will also refill your oxygen, and obviously surfacing for air will refill it. If that meter completely dries up, I believe you will just loving die immediately, but it starts flashing red and telling you HEY GET SOME loving AIR before that happens so don't sweat it.

quote:

I suspect this is a good game, but it really doesn't want me to know it.

Blame Capcom porting an early build of the game that was used for some game expo onto the eshop, instead of bothering to create a proper demonstration or advertising the game's features. There is a really, really good game in there but Capcom is dumb as gently caress. There's a reason half the MH thread is loathing Capcom's ineptitude.

I will say it again, so far they have completely botched marketing this game to the West, have made no effort to reduce the opacity to newcomers, and when the game's been out for a month there's going to be an article on IGN+Kotaku+etc. about how disappointed Capcom is with its numbers in the West. "We're never bringing another MH over here again because they simply don't do well no matter how hard we try." :jerkbag:

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 25, 2013

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The greatsword is basically mega burst damage and then poo poo at everything else. You're supposed to have it sheathed for most of the fight, and only draw it when the monster is wide-open to a charge attack (hold X until the third charge and release immediately, you should see a jet of light all around you if you timed it right), and maybe some minor combos if they're exhausted/stunned/etc.

Longsword, Hammer, SnS and Dual Swords are good starting points since they're really easy to get the hang of and pretty fast. Bowguns quite honestly require some reading up/youtube watching to use properly, but the bow is a really simple and mobile ranged weapon.

I used long sword on my second try and it was more fun. But still I found the best combo I could and it was just combo-wait for opening-repeat. With 4 people it would be awesome to have a ranged guy, and fast guy drawing attention and a great sword bringing the buisness. I don't think its made for 1 player.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's really not made for one player, no. That's why there's such an emphasis on "Play with the Wii U!" for the 3DS version, which is mostly just a mobile edition so you can get your fix while out and about or bring it over to a buddy's place. A lot of tactical depth goes away when it's just you and one or two NPC goofballs.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
F-Zero is the first game I've been able to use just on the game pad, and man it's awesome! I find myself using the MiiVerse more too. Kind of interesting how it works. I'll be picking up NSMBU as soon as I'm done with Skyward Sword, and seeing how far the pad will reach from the console...I'm hoping to the bedroom. It's be awesome to have a lazy weekend morning in the bed and play some Mario.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

EC posted:

F-Zero is the first game I've been able to use just on the game pad, and man it's awesome! I find myself using the MiiVerse more too. Kind of interesting how it works. I'll be picking up NSMBU as soon as I'm done with Skyward Sword, and seeing how far the pad will reach from the console...I'm hoping to the bedroom. It's be awesome to have a lazy weekend morning in the bed and play some Mario.

If there's one thing I'm actually disappointed in the WiiU for in a technical capacity, it's the range on the controller. I just want to play in bed, Nintendo. :(

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is there any reason to get Mighty Switch Force on Wii U if I have it on 3DS?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Wii U version has "hyper" versions of each stage with harder layouts and some new music. It's half-price in both regions until Thursday, so if you really liked it the first time I guess you could probably justify double-dipping while it's on sale.

EDIT: MSF2 is coming to 3DS this year, too, so you might wanna hold out for that instead.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 26, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

theflyingorc posted:

If there's one thing I'm actually disappointed in the WiiU for in a technical capacity, it's the range on the controller. I just want to play in bed, Nintendo. :(

Is there some kind of wifi trickery that can be used as a point to make the two communicate with each other from further away?

elf help book posted:

Is there any reason to get Mighty Switch Force on Wii U if I have it on 3DS?

Unfortunately no. There ARE a few new levels and the higher resolution graphics look great but I don't think it's enough of a difference personally. If Nintendo ever does a Steam sale equivalent I'd definitely blow like $2 on it but, having tried them all now, I'd have skipped it if I played the original first.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So I just bought a Wii U for monster hunter. When registering my stuff on club Nintendo I noticed paper Mario for Wii. Do I really need to redeem it on wii and go through the transfer stuff to get it on my new system?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can redeem it on your Wii U via Wii mode.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Neo Rasa posted:

Is there some kind of wifi trickery that can be used as a point to make the two communicate with each other from further away?

Pretty sure irregardless of whatever boost the signal could possibly get if you have lead lining or kryptonite in your walls it's goin' nowhere. I lucked out. Unit is in the living room and can go across the house through two walls to the bathroom and still play but if I go right to the next room in the bedroom it shits out. Still toilet Mario is good Mario.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You can redeem it on your Wii U via Wii mode.

Stupid question, but how do you go into "Wii" mode?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey Monster Hunter's demo on the store means I can buy it on the WiiU store when it launches, right? Need to know if I should use my gamestop credit for it or if I can just pick it up from home without putting pants on like a real American.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

KGBAgent185 posted:

Stupid question, but how do you go into "Wii" mode?

Press the Wii icon on the main screen. You need a Wii Remote to access it.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey Monster Hunter's demo on the store means I can buy it on the WiiU store when it launches, right? Need to know if I should use my gamestop credit for it or if I can just pick it up from home without putting pants on like a real American.

A real American would order it from Amazon and then not even tip the mailman when (s)he drops it off at your home. (A typical mail tip is 15% of the cost of the items, or 10% if the items arrive damaged.)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Have they figured out a way to let you use American Netflix on the Wii U in :canada: or elsewhere without having to pay for Unblock yet?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The last that I heard they confirmed it would be available digitally, but they are unsure when it will be available, meaning it might not be ready at launch.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If you wanted to get rid of your gamestop credit you could buy two $30 eShop cards and use that.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Alcholism Rocks posted:

A real American would order it from Amazon and then not even tip the mailman when (s)he drops it off at your home. (A typical mail tip is 15% of the cost of the items, or 10% if the items arrive damaged.)

Wait, what the hell is this?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Alcholism Rocks posted:

I tip the UPS guys with a wave goodbye as they are already booking by the time I finally get to the door.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

All the Amazon Prime deliveries people get out here involve minimally marked white vans that pull up, a guy sprints over and drops the package, disappearing into the night punctuated by the screech of tires.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

theflyingorc posted:

How else would you ensure reliable delivery in the USA?

That said, I hope they come out with GTA V for the Wii U. I don't see any reason why they couldn't do that. (I find it somewhat bizarre that there are rumors that there might not be a PC port of this game, considering how much money they could rake in with it.)

Alcholism Rocks fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 26, 2013

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Uh, you don't do this?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

antidote posted:

Uh, you don't do this?

No. Nobody does this. This is not a thing people do. Who the gently caress tips the mailman.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Alcholism Rocks posted:

That said, I hope they come out with GTA V for the Wii U. I don't see any reason why they couldn't do that.

I also. Want to use the Gamepad as a smartphone. Maybe even speak a choice of responses into it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alcholism Rocks posted:

That said, I hope they come out with GTA V for the Wii U. I don't see any reason why they couldn't do that.

They've never made a GTA on a Nintendo console, they ain't about to start now.

Plus they probably have it running already on the current systems.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

absolutely anything posted:

No. Nobody does this. This is not a thing people do. Who the gently caress tips the mailman.

Where in the US are you? That wouldn't go over well in these parts.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Alteisen posted:

This isn't exactly flawless logic.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Alcholism Rocks posted:

I...pay UPS their cut?

No seriously, nobody tips the deliveryman. And that delivery is GOING to be prompt - they drive a predetermined route that a computer calculates (with no left turns for efficiency!)

You are a crazy person. Who would give the deliveryman 10% for broken items. What in the hell.

edit: I literally never even SEE the deliveryman most of the time, where the hell do you guys live?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

AngryCaterpillar posted:

This isn't exactly flawless logic.

Given the culture, in-game sense of humor, and general lack of real professionalism I've seen from Rockstar, even if it were profitable, I'm certain they'd see the WiiU as "The baby system for little kids, not MATURE people like those who play our hooker-killing games". I really, truly doubt there will be a WiiU port.

Of course, I would have said the same thing about Watch Dogs and it's probably my system of choice for the game.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Alteisen posted:

Hey hey, don't you be forgetting Chinatown Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

gobbledygoat posted:

Hey hey, don't you be forgetting Chinatown Wars

...that did sell SUPER bad, though.

• Locked thread