Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Saw the last session after work last night and fully expected Rafael Nadal to appear, why are they playing cricket at Roland Garros?

Edit: Also as much as I hate those cheating Indian fucks I actually have no problem with whatever type of pitches they want, both teams have to play on it - good for them for tailoring it to their strengths. Cricket Australia is just too pussy to have circa 1989 WACA pitch be prepared and lose money on a 3 day test.

EMC fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Surprised there haven't been any Australian fans arrested for trying to piss on the wicket in the middle of the night.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cricket Thread 2013: Why you chirpin' now, mate? Not getting runs?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

notaspy posted:

My god, that's the worst pitch I've ever seen.

It's a loving disgrace of a pitch. There isn't even the pretence of ever having grass in it.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

And Nathan Lyon

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
It looks like they just backed up a truck full of cow poo poo and clay, dumped it there and let the monsoon wash it into something slightly resembling a level surface.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Okay Tendulkar, I admit that was cool.

Also, in the 1st Test of the England series, India won by 9 wickets, so suck on that Englailures.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I think Australia still have a chance of winning, or at least drawing the next three matches if they can get some decent batting performances from people other than Clarke and Henriques. The lack of a second spinner is going to be a problem though, bringing Doherty (averaging 80 this summer in FC with the ball) in to replace Starc or Siddle isn't really going to help anything, and Smith or Maxwell shouldn't even be considered serious options. Maybe Australia will get lucky and the next pitch will be nice and green.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I reckon they should give this Ager bloke a shot, or bring over that Pakistani refugee. Both are surely better than X and Lyon.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

4liters posted:

I reckon they should give this Ager bloke a shot, or bring over that Pakistani refugee. Both are surely better than X and Lyon.

Yeah, because that worked so well in the Ashes with Beer.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

When Beer was selected out of the blue the alternative was probably better than Lyon.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I see drug testing in English cricket is very thorough and a resounding success:

quote:

Surrey cricketer Tom Maynard was a regular cocaine user in the months leading up to his death, Westminster Coroner's Court has heard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21588586

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Scylo posted:

I think Australia still have a chance of winning, or at least drawing

Can I just stop you there

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

SMH is claiming the selectors are "considering" resting Pattinson in order to manage his workload. Good plan. Maybe they should rest Clarke too. I mean, he got a century so was up there for a long time. And Henrieques had to exert himself too, he needs a rest. What a bunch of idiots.

Oh, and LOL at Warnie "stepping up" to give the spinners a post match talk on how to bowl. I'm sure Arthur and Rixon appreciate the guy calling them muppets stepping in and telling the team what to do. What a classless attention whore.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
You are my favourite new poster in this thread. Your username is so apt with your posts.

What about how Pattinson's workload was "managed" on day 2? He bowled six overs out of 52, yet took all the wickets. He was bowling really well that day, Another few overs or so could have made a big difference.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Compton is playing. Boo to this.

edit - That's it, gently caress off.

goatface fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 26, 2013

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Doctor Cave posted:

What about how Pattinson's workload was "managed" on day 2? He bowled six overs out of 52, yet took all the wickets. He was bowling really well that day, Another few overs or so could have made a big difference.

We're so clearly using this as a warm-up for the Ashes. What a loving farce.

With that said though, I don't really mind because gently caress the BCCI

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
At this point Warne is looking a pretty reasonable candidate for selection.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

SMH is claiming the selectors are "considering" resting Pattinson in order to manage his workload. Good plan. Maybe they should rest Clarke too. I mean, he got a century so was up there for a long time. And Henrieques had to exert himself too, he needs a rest. What a bunch of idiots.

Oh, and LOL at Warnie "stepping up" to give the spinners a post match talk on how to bowl. I'm sure Arthur and Rixon appreciate the guy calling them muppets stepping in and telling the team what to do. What a classless attention whore.

Pattinson has a history of getting injured, so I can understand why they would be considering it. I think I read that Mohali is typically a ground that's more favourable for the fast bowlers, so it's whether or not they're willing to risk Pattinson in Hyperabad and possibly end up not having him in Mohali. They should probably just drop Starc if they want a second spin bowler though.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Scylo posted:

Pattinson has a history of getting injured, so I can understand why they would be considering it. I think I read that Mohali is typically a ground that's more favourable for the fast bowlers, so it's whether or not they're willing to risk Pattinson in Hyperabad and possibly end up not having him in Mohali. They should probably just drop Starc if they want a second spin bowler though.

It's all well and good being concerned about his injury record. But, really, what is being considered is this: taking out the one bowler who bowled with real pace and menace and replacing him with a spin bowler who's less good than Lyon. There's really no way you can shine that turd. The Indians will be having a right laugh, drop the one guy who scared the bejesus out of them for some more throw-downs.

As to dropping Starc, I reckon that would be a mistake too. He had an off game, but he's a good bowler and I reckon he'll come good in this series. On his day, he has more to offer than Doherty on his. Clarke's right, Australia isn't India and should play to it's strengths. The problem wasn't bad selection, it was underperformance.

Bottom line, if Pattinson's fit he should play, otherwise he has no business being in the test squad. This is loving Australia, not some third-rate associate. It's loving depressing, and this is coming from an England supporter.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The thing is if the selectors are so terrified of Pattinson breaking down why play him at all in India. Possibly the worst place in the world for him to return.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Id say just play 11 batters, open the bowling with Warner and Clarke and play for draws but I dont think we have 11 batters.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Apparently Bird is being flown home for scans on his back.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-27/fawad-hopes-for-ashes-call-up/4542698?section=vic
Hopefully those racist shitheads in government/the dept. of immigration let this happen.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unimpressed posted:

At this point you can only laugh. gently caress this team.

Cocksmith fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 27, 2013

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

4liters posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-27/fawad-hopes-for-ashes-call-up/4542698?section=vic
Hopefully those racist shitheads in government/the dept. of immigration let this happen.

If it happens I can just imagine Scott Morrison talking about how the government is letting Asylum Seekers jump forward in the citizenship queue

edit: proof that some of Tendulkar's records were obviously made up http://www.hindustantimes.com/Cricket/cricketnews/Tendulkar-Kambli-record-664-run-partnership-score-sheet-lost-forever/Article1-1017938.aspx

Centusin fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 27, 2013

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Quanta posted:

I see drug testing in English cricket is very thorough and a resounding success:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21588586

quote:

England fast bowler Jade Dernbach and former Surrey captain Rory Hamilton-Brown, who were with Mr Maynard on the evening before his death, said they were unaware he had taken drugs.

Yeah right.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
I dunno, my personal expectations of Dernbach are so low I'd believe he wasn't aware somebody was on drugs if they were shooting up in front of him.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Shame they didn't drug test the lying little poo poo the day after.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

walked past the tv when the sky ashes advert was on and it's the commentators picking their 3 seamers as 'anderson, finn and broad coming back into form' if i heard correctly. it would say it all, though.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Finn's a pretty good bowler really, it's Broad who's the problem. Been going downhill for a while, and was never that good in the first place anyway. It'd probably be best to prepare a load of slow and lowers and go with two spinners. They won't though.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Lionel RichTea posted:

Finn's a pretty good bowler really, it's Broad who's the problem. Been going downhill for a while, and was never that good in the first place anyway. It'd probably be best to prepare a load of slow and lowers and go with two spinners. They won't though.

This. Broad has been awful for some time, I'd rather have Tremlett (if he's fixed) or Onions instead of Broad.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Yeah it was the 'Broad back into form' bit that I took issue with. As if it doesn't matter about what players are actually doing in matches because the favourites are just going to get picked anyway on the basis of what might happen if the stars align for them.

It's the kind of nonsense that kept Harmison around for so long when he was obviously The World's Blubberingest Vagina and got Giles picked for potential runs down the order.

It's loving stupid and I want to go on record as saying it's stupid and I don't like it.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Let's not jump to conclusions based on Sky commentators. The England management has so far shown very good judgement and has gotten us results (the curious selection of Dernbach is the exception that proves the rule). I'd say Broad will be given this test series to prove himself. But yes, last time around, it seemed we had a huge stable of quicks just champing at the bit. This time it doesn't feel that way. I'm pretty sure we'll do well in England, I'm more worried about the Australia Ashes.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

It's still really weird that England's best approach to a home Ashes series is to try and prepare a series of spinning tracks. When the hell did we become a side which has spin as a strength? It keeps freaking me out every time I realise it.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
England have a long tradition of spin bowling - Rhodes, Wardle, Verity, Lock, Laker, Underwood, Titmus, Illingworth etc. It was only really the 80s and 90s that England didn't have at least one quality spin bowler.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

tanglewood1420 posted:

England have a long tradition of spin bowling - Rhodes, Wardle, Verity, Lock, Laker, Underwood, Titmus, Illingworth etc. It was only really the 80s and 90s that England didn't have at least one quality spin bowler.

You misspelled Yorkshire.

Well, sort of. Your list contains five Yorkshiremen (Rhodes, Wardle, Verity, Laker*, and Illingworth), one chucker (Lock) and two southern nancies. More relevantly, though, your list also contains lots of people who retired before I was born in 1984.

*Yes, OK, Laker never played for Yorkshire. But he was born, and until WWII lived, just outside Bradford.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ilanin posted:

It's still really weird that England's best approach to a home Ashes series is to try and prepare a series of spinning tracks. When the hell did we become a side which has spin as a strength? It keeps freaking me out every time I realise it.
Its to get Monty a permanent place in the side during home matches, something that no one would disagree with (except Ashley Giles).

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Southern Nancies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

monty should be playing in this warm up game

• Locked thread