Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.
Congrats Devo that is pretty fly.

Had my best single game so far the other night and bowled 189-127-129. Really felt like everything was coming together in the first game but then I just immediately got tired and lost track of my line while trying to adjust. I also got a Star of the Week thing for being most over my average some week, although it doesn't actually say when. Get to go bowl individually for Star of the Month and then if I win that Star of the Year &c and the ~Grand Champion~ wins a trip to Vegas. Kinda cool. Feels good to know I am constantly getting better especially after last week's lovely night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I got a thumb slug installed in my ball yesterday and no more raw spot on my thumb! I'm so stoked. I bowled 6 games afterwords and it has made a remarkable difference.

128-187-177-232-218-198

I have finally figured out I'm a low/mid speed stroker bowler and would really like to get some more revs on the ball but I can't figure out how to do it.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
Wow nice so uh what even is a thumb slug and are you seriously not supposed to grip the ball with your thumb!? I am maybe doing more wrong than I ever realized.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Your thumb should slide out effortlessly. If you're squeezing the ball on the release it may be drilled wrong, or you have some bad habits you need to address.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
Oh okay ya I'm good. Was real confused with the idea that my thumb shouldn't be gripping on the backswing or something.

A really cool thing about bowling both on this forum and at the lanes is how congenial and encouraging everyone is. I like a game that involves high fiving people you are ostensibly competing against. We played against the team with the dude who bowls two handed the other night and I talked to him for a while about his style and how he got into it. He remembered bowling me at the start of the season and was real encouraging about how much I've improved. We've bowled against some more stoic teams but I haven't encountered anyone who was lovely or rude at all. Although a number of people who would whine or swear to themselves, and one guy who kept angrily kicking the ball return, but no one who's actually directed any of that at anyone else.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've been in a 3-week slump and can't really figure out what's going wrong with my roll. For one, I know i need a resurfacing... I'm just not getting the consistent reaction I used to. But other than that, I'm just having an incredibly hard time finding my mark. But I guess if the ball isn't rolling consistently, then it's near impossible to find a mark... right?

Just no clue what to do at this point.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Scarf posted:

I've been in a 3-week slump and can't really figure out what's going wrong with my roll. For one, I know i need a resurfacing... I'm just not getting the consistent reaction I used to. But other than that, I'm just having an incredibly hard time finding my mark. But I guess if the ball isn't rolling consistently, then it's near impossible to find a mark... right?

Just no clue what to do at this point.

This happens to me from game to game, and sometimes mid game. For the first time yesterday I really felt a good smooth release. I only kept it up for about 6 frames and then it all went to hell and I spent 2 games trying to get the feel back and I never could. It's frustrating but it's still a lot of fun so I keep at it. Unfortunately I live in a small town with 1 alley and the nearest alley is 45 minutes away so I can't get any real help. There are a few older people here in leagues that travel and go to vegas for tournaments and stuff, I should probably try seeing if one of them can help me.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Whale Cancer posted:

This happens to me from game to game, and sometimes mid game. For the first time yesterday I really felt a good smooth release. I only kept it up for about 6 frames and then it all went to hell and I spent 2 games trying to get the feel back and I never could. It's frustrating but it's still a lot of fun so I keep at it. Unfortunately I live in a small town with 1 alley and the nearest alley is 45 minutes away so I can't get any real help. There are a few older people here in leagues that travel and go to vegas for tournaments and stuff, I should probably try seeing if one of them can help me.

Well, the problem is that I bowl primarily at a private social club (kinda like an elks lodge, vfw, etc.) so most of the bowlers here are older guys who are primarily strokers. And I throw pretty high-rev, so I'm usually on my own when it comes to figuring things out and making adjustments. We finally got a decent pro-shop set up in-house, so I think I'm going to go in tonight to get a resurface done, maybe have the oil baked out of my ball.

Also the drat wood lanes are unforgiving as all hell... Supposedly in the next year or two we're switching to synthetic.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

How often do you guys get resurfaces/deep oil cleaning done? I've got a Storm Frantic and Storm Vivid which are my two primary balls and they both probably have 150+ games on them. I've had the Vivid resurfaced like a week after I got it after the lanes I bowl at put a nice gouge in it but have never had the Frantic resurfaced or deep cleaned. I clean them myself after every session but I think it's probably time to get both resurfaced, what do you think?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

We have wood lanes here. I went and bowled at the lanes in the next town over and they are synthetic. I hated it! I couldn't get my ball to move at all. It just spun on it's axis all the way down the lane and never broke. From what I hear we're one of the last lanes in the area to still use wood lanes.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Wood lanes rule. I'm going to legit cry when we have to switch to synthetic.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Devo posted:

Wood lanes rule. I'm going to legit cry when we have to switch to synthetic.

They've definitely made me a better bowler in other houses. But when poo poo starts to go bad for me there, it goes baaaaaad.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Roller-coaster last night, but I'm finally starting to re-figure my delivery. 221-150-202. My spare shooting in the second match was dog poo poo.

The big story though was our newbie. He got his first ball a few weeks ago and has slowly but surely been figuring out his delivery. He averages 130 or so right now... but he went 137-195-264 :stare:

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

Scarf posted:

Roller-coaster last night, but I'm finally starting to re-figure my delivery. 221-150-202. My spare shooting in the second match was dog poo poo.

The big story though was our newbie. He got his first ball a few weeks ago and has slowly but surely been figuring out his delivery. He averages 130 or so right now... but he went 137-195-264 :stare:

Wow! I sure hope he's leading the league in high game w/handicap now.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I went to bowl today during the day and since it's slow one of the guys that works there came down and we were bs'ing. He helped redo the tape in my thumbhole and tried giving me some pointers on my delivery. We were talking and he was talking about how he bowls a 170 average between his legs. He brought up 2 handed bowling, Belmonte style, and I said I'd never tried it. I gave it a shot and holy poo poo, I'm really good at it. I average about 140-150 right now. I bowled 3 games two handed style and bowled 196, 232, 229. Think I'm going to stick this out for a bit and see how it goes.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Whale Cancer posted:

I went to bowl today during the day and since it's slow one of the guys that works there came down and we were bs'ing. He helped redo the tape in my thumbhole and tried giving me some pointers on my delivery. We were talking and he was talking about how he bowls a 170 average between his legs. He brought up 2 handed bowling, Belmonte style, and I said I'd never tried it. I gave it a shot and holy poo poo, I'm really good at it. I average about 140-150 right now. I bowled 3 games two handed style and bowled 196, 232, 229. Think I'm going to stick this out for a bit and see how it goes.

Let your league president know. You'll have to establish a new handicap. Also, be aware you can't switch between the two in a match (or is it in a game?).

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I don't think that's true. Even though it's a different style he's still bowling right handed. You only have to establish a different average if you're bowling with a different hand.

e: I mean Belmonte and those guys still shoot their ten pins normally, and if that was truly the case they would have to bowl every ball of the entire tournament in two handed style.

Devo fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 20, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Devo posted:

I don't think that's true. Even though it's a different style he's still bowling right handed. You only have to establish a different average if you're bowling with a different hand.

e: I mean Belmonte and those guys still shoot their ten pins normally, and if that was truly the case they would have to bowl every ball of the entire tournament in two handed style.

Hmmm, didn't really think about it like that.

Maybe I'm just too used to hearing the crotchety old farts talk poo poo on it.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I have a feeling in 20-30 years it's going to be the dominant style. I encourage everyone who is just taking up the game to try it out. You get so much more power out of that style. I've unfortunately got 25 years worth of muscle memory making me feel like a spaz every time I bust it out.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I'm just in a fun league so it's not really a big deal anyway. But the rules say you just have to bowl the same hand. I can still pick up my spares or switch to one handed whenever I want.

Bowling 2 handed is super easy. I'm a low rev stroker type and holy crap can I crank the poo poo out of the ball. I could see getting yourself in trouble if you have a ball with a serious hook to it, but my slingshot seems to do great. I feel like I can really easily control my revs and ball movement bowling 2 handed as well. It really seems a lot easier all around. It's really hard to screw up your release, you can get a lot of revs on the ball and ball speed is good.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Devo posted:

This is actually true of almost everyone on the tour, except Belmonte. He still uses the two handed-style for his 10 pins.

Also, 236-155-193 tonight. One of these days, I'll learn how to bowl three good games in a row. And it seems I'll be sticking with my 12 year old AMF Force 1 for a while longer; I picked up my DV8 Hell Raiser Revenge today, only to find that it cracked beyond repair.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I'm considering getting a new ball but I don't really know where I want to go. Since I'm finishing up league this week I can either get a free T-Zone spare ball or a $60 credit in the pro shop. I'm going to give this 2 handed jazz my full attention now but I don't know what other 2 handers are rolling. My revs are through the freaking roof now and my slingshot is working pretty good. I know Belmonte uses a virtual gravity nano and a critical theory. I think I might just get something a little bit more aggressive than the slingshot. Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of a DV8 Wreckless or a DV8 Hell Raiser Terror. Anyone crankers throwing either of these?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I went bowling this morning to get some practice before league tonight and they were oiling the lanes. I asked the guy running the machine if he could oil up my lane with a different pattern. He asked if I wanted anything in particular and I said surprise me. He oiled my lane up US OPEN style. I'm in marvel of how those dudes can throw anything above a 150 game. I couldn't find a strike line to save my life.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Whale Cancer posted:

I went bowling this morning to get some practice before league tonight and they were oiling the lanes. I asked the guy running the machine if he could oil up my lane with a different pattern. He asked if I wanted anything in particular and I said surprise me. He oiled my lane up US OPEN style. I'm in marvel of how those dudes can throw anything above a 150 game. I couldn't find a strike line to save my life.

I feel bad for whoever had to bowl on that lane in the league that night as if your house is anything like mine they probably didn't re-oil it!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The US Open shot is just straight flat oil everywhere. Every board is covered in oil from gutter to gutter up to 42 feet or so. I bowled on it in college a lot and it was just miserable.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The US Open shot is just straight flat oil everywhere. Every board is covered in oil from gutter to gutter up to 42 feet or so. I bowled on it in college a lot and it was just miserable.

Apparently about 9 years ago the oil pattern on a local center was something like 1.5:1 or maybe a little worse than that. It's not quite US Open, but this was on every lane in the center (i.e. it was the house shot).

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

mattfl posted:

I feel bad for whoever had to bowl on that lane in the league that night as if your house is anything like mine they probably didn't re-oil it!

Haha that would have been hilarious. It was on one of the lanes not used for league.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Who all here rolls a DV8 again? What brought you to them and what do you like/dislike about them? I'm thinking about making the switch from RotoGrip...

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I would like to know as well. I'm looking at getting a DV8 as well. Or if someone has any other suggestions that would be awesome. I saw a ball I really like the looks of but it's way too advanced for me. The Brunswick Aura Paranormal. I'm thinking 2 handed I don't need a ton of ball movement because I can actually get my slingshot to go from gutter to gutter now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Whale Cancer posted:

I would like to know as well. I'm looking at getting a DV8 as well. Or if someone has any other suggestions that would be awesome. I saw a ball I really like the looks of but it's way too advanced for me. The Brunswick Aura Paranormal. I'm thinking 2 handed I don't need a ton of ball movement because I can actually get my slingshot to go from gutter to gutter now.

I've got the DV8 Zombie ball ;) It's my spare ball and it goes nice and straight lol.

But seriously, I've been meaning to get a DV8 ball just because they look pretty badass and everyone I see them throw they always seem to hit really hard. I've got my Storm Vivid now that is my main ball and a Storm Frantic as my secondary ball so I'm set for a while until I decide I wanna try something new, it'll probably be a DV8.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Right now I've got my eyes on:

DV8 Brutal Nightmare
Storm Lucid
Storm Fire Road
Roto Defiant Edge

(I like skid-flip...)

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Annnnnnnnnd Belmonte wins the Masters. There ya go two-handers :)

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Late reply, but you don't need to establish a new average two-handed. It should be called a two-handed approach, not a two-handed release, because only one hand (presumably the one you use with your one-handed approach/release) actually releases the ball. Your other hand doesn't affect the spin (or really the placement) of the ball whatsoever.

And if you're making the jump to two-handed, unless you can really hurl the poo poo out of the ball I can't recommend getting one that'll break hard.

Edit: And if you want to really piss off the crotchety old bowlers who still hate on two-handers, learn how to throw a back-up ball at your ten pins. In normal league conditions you'll end up shooting them at a 95% clip and causing no shortage of angst among the purists.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 25, 2013

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

Late reply, but you don't need to establish a new average two-handed. It should be called a two-handed approach, not a two-handed release, because only one hand (presumably the one you use with your one-handed approach/release) actually releases the ball. Your other hand doesn't affect the spin (or really the placement) of the ball whatsoever.

And if you're making the jump to two-handed, unless you can really hurl the poo poo out of the ball I can't recommend getting one that'll break hard.

Edit: And if you want to really piss off the crotchety old bowlers who still hate on two-handers, learn how to throw a back-up ball at your ten pins. In normal league conditions you'll end up shooting them at a 95% clip and causing no shortage of angst among the purists.

I'm guessing you're a 2 hander? What ball do you throw? I haven't tried the backup ball thing yet but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Whale Cancer posted:

I'm guessing you're a 2 hander? What ball do you throw? I haven't tried the backup ball thing yet but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Yup, been two-handing it for around two years now. For my normal league (synthetic lanes with medium oil), I use an Ice Storm. drat thing's not supposed to move an inch but I get plenty of movement out of it anyway and it hits hard for a spare ball. On heavier oil I'd gladly switch to something more reactive, but I wouldn't go into the high end of super reactive balls unless it was drilled to go very, very long. For example, I have a C-System 3.5 that I can't keep on the loving lane. Thing just loves the left side, and any pocket shot with it is mostly luck.

And be a little careful with the backup ball, especially as a beginner. I bowled one-handed for more than a decade and had a really reliable backup ball with that before I ever even tried throwing two-handed. Even then, I was nervous when I went to throw my first two-handed backup ball because the revs are so much higher. It turned out just fine, but you're new and I don't want to give you advice that ends up, y'know, breaking your fingers or something.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Yeah breaking a finger wouldn't be a good day. I'm thinking I'll just do a slight upgrade to a DV8 Misfit or a Storm Tropical Heat.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I bought a Storm Sync and shot a 750 with it out of the box last night. It's a great aggressive ball, I love it.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I bought a Storm Sync and shot a 750 with it out of the box last night. It's a great aggressive ball, I love it.

:drat: What do you typically shoot?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I throw three DV8 balls: Hellraiser Revenge, Marauder and Misfit. DV8 is overall known for being really aggressive and angular and is a godsend for a low rev player like me. The Revenge has a good arc to it and is really strong to the point I couldn't use it much until I put some shine on it. The Marauder is seriously the best ball I've ever thrown and very versatile, I can use it on pretty much any pattern and has a good strong continuous motion. The Misfit is more situational; it had a violent yet fairly early move but is really good on shorter patterns.

Haven't posted much since I've been dismayed at my performance recently since we had six weeks on Turnpike which was absolute torture. I think I averaged like 170. This week we switched to WTBA Los Angeles which is actually tougher at about a 1.6 ratio. I went 169-191-202-253 for a 815 series and just ripped the Misfit off of 3 board the last three games. I won the Eliminator for the first time in this league too which got me $50. This weekend is the city tournament on Abbey Road which should be like a house shot compared to what we've been on all season. if I go less that 650 in any series I'll probably be less than pleased.

I swear to God I'm still working on the New Guy Tutorial, just had to put it off due to hating bowling for a month and other issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Bowled 2 handed for my 3 league games today. 196/228/223 A good day for me one handed was about a 150 average. I'm getting a lot more strikes and 9 pin strike balls throwing two handed so I'm pretty happy. The biggest thing I think is it feels a lot easier to be consistent 2 handed because my 1 handed release was just terrible.

• Locked thread