Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Aerofallosov posted:

I want to make some minestrone soup and freeze the leftovers. Are noodles okay to freeze? The recipe says to only add noodles to what I'm eating/reheating because they'll break up when I thaw them.

The problem with noodles in leftover soup is that they get over done and end up absorbing more liquid than you probably plan on them absorbing so they'll end up mushy and very very soft (think canned soup noodles). If you don't mind mushy soft noodles then freeze away. If you prefer good al dente then it's best to add noodles when you reheat the soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mascaria posted:

The problem with noodles in leftover soup is that they get over done and end up absorbing more liquid than you probably plan on them absorbing so they'll end up mushy and very very soft (think canned soup noodles). If you don't mind mushy soft noodles then freeze away. If you prefer good al dente then it's best to add noodles when you reheat the soup.

Can you adjust for this and under-cook the noodles pre-freezing?

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

baquerd posted:

Can you adjust for this and under-cook the noodles pre-freezing?

Probably. I wouldn't swear on it though.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Al! posted:

Is there any more common kitchen tool that makes a decent makeshift lemon reamer? I don't have a proper one on hand. Maybe the blunt end of a wooden spoon?

Roll the poo poo out of them on the counter before halving, smash squeezed halves in a cone strainer

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Goons, I just picked a shitload of Roma tomatoes from my single plant and ended up with about 2.4kg (about 5lbs) of them. I need good goon-approved relish/chutney recipes. Some nice all-rounders that'd work well on most things.

e: or pizza sauce or salsa or whatever. Just something tasty to use up this mountain of tomatoes.

Aaronicon fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 25, 2013

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Cool, thank you. I will add the noodles as I reheat, then.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Aaronicon posted:

Goons, I just picked a shitload of Roma tomatoes from my single plant and ended up with about 2.4kg (about 5lbs) of them. I need good goon-approved relish/chutney recipes. Some nice all-rounders that'd work well on most things.

e: or pizza sauce or salsa or whatever. Just something tasty to use up this mountain of tomatoes.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Tomato_Curry_by_Dino

It was written specifically to use around 3 kg of tomato. If you have slightly less, it'll still be hella delicious. Feel free to scale back the recipe if you wish.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Al! posted:

Is there any more common kitchen tool that makes a decent makeshift lemon reamer? I don't have a proper one on hand. Maybe the blunt end of a wooden spoon?

A pair of tongs.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Some of my waitresses want me to cook some food and bring it to them while we are working together tomorrow.

What's some lady pleasers? I was thinking about the spinach and fontina cheese filled pork chops, but I'm open to ideas.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Trying to clear out the fridge. Thinking about making an Alfredo sauce with shrimp and spinach. Will they work together?

Also, I have 1 cup of heavy cream and plenty of milk. Can someone tell me how to start out the recipe? How much roux do I need to use all 8 oz of the cream and make a decent sauce?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Trying to clear out the fridge. Thinking about making an Alfredo sauce with shrimp and spinach. Will they work together?

Also, I have 1 cup of heavy cream and plenty of milk. Can someone tell me how to start out the recipe? How much roux do I need to use all 8 oz of the cream and make a decent sauce?
We talked about Alfredo a couple pages back.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Cuddlebottom posted:

I've made soft pretzels a few times and they were fairly well received. I used this dough (with half bread flour) and instead of their baking-soda-water instructions used Alton Brown's boiling instructions instead. The KAF recipe also has you brush on a huge quantity of butter after baking; I used maybe a third of what they recommended and still found them sort of greasy so I'd consider that optional.

What's the difference between normal flour, King Arthur flour (now with 50% more shards of Excalibur!) and bread flour?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

tarepanda posted:

What's the difference between normal flour, King Arthur flour (now with 50% more shards of Excalibur!) and bread flour?

Bread flour has.more protein, cake flour has less, ap flour is in between. King Arthur makes all of the above and is referenced because it's good quality and available nationwide.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

tarepanda posted:

Bread flour has a higher gluten content than plain/AP flour which, all else being equal, means that it will produce a stronger dough and more rise during fermentation.

King Arthur is a brand of flour, and you can buy any number of different kinds of flour from them (including AP and bread flour among others). They're generally well-regarded for having good consistency in their flours---a bag of King Arthur bread flour you buy today is going to behave the same way as the bag you bought last week. Grocery store and bargain brands of flour tend to vary a lot in composition, which can lead to different results in the oven.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

King Arthur Flour is just a popular brand name. Bread Flour contains more protein which helps with gluten formation and making a nice sturdy loaf. Cake flour has less to make it lighter.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

My rice cooker gave up the ghost today. It lasted me since college and frankly I'm impressed that the little thing trucked on for so many years.

Are there any recommendations on buying a new one? If possible I'd like the cooking-bowl dishwasher safe, which means none of the no-stick options, which seems standard on any of the ones of quality.

We're contemplating the Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5.5 cup. That brand seems to be the best rated that I've found.

Sushi and White rice are the only 2 goals, ideally doing both of those very well. Also, less than $200 USD.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Zojirushi.

It's super-easy to clean the no-stick bowls without a dishwasher. Just let it sit overnight, haul it out, wipe it down with a wet rag to get rid of the dried rice paper bullshit, done.

Do you really need 5.5 cups of rice? That's a ton of rice.

Norville Rogers
Oct 17, 2004
Like, zoinks!

Alpha Phoenix posted:

We're contemplating the Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5.5 cup. That brand seems to be the best rated that I've found.

Sushi and White rice are the only 2 goals, ideally doing both of those very well. Also, less than $200 USD.

I have a http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-Cooker-Steamer-Sensor-Technology/dp/B003Z2LK68/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top and it's pretty awesome. If you do Costco, they have it for under 50 bucks.
Dishwasher safe, quick cook and brown rice buttons.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

tarepanda posted:

Zojirushi.

It's super-easy to clean the no-stick bowls without a dishwasher. Just let it sit overnight, haul it out, wipe it down with a wet rag to get rid of the dried rice paper bullshit, done.

I don't even do that much. Letting it cool a bit so the rice starts to harden and it should all come out with the rough side of the sponge and minimal effort.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Saint Darwin posted:

I don't even do that much. Letting it cool a bit so the rice starts to harden and it should all come out with the rough side of the sponge and minimal effort.

That's exactly what I said... with a sponge instead of a cloth? :P

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

tarepanda posted:

Zojirushi.

I was more going by reviews than quantity, but yea I'll probably get the 3-cup version. Sounds like a good option.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
I need some help. I'm throwing a candy/sweets themed party, and I want there to be some solid savory foods as well. I thought that it would be all kinds of cool to have savory foods that would look like candy or sweets, but unfortunately my mind is drawing blank. I can think of plenty of ideas the other way around, but I can't really see how to turn regular foods into sweets. Help please!

So far the best I can think of is making homemade bagels to look like donuts, cheese sticks, and savory muffins. Is this a dumb idea and should I just give up?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mole sauce as chocolate and mashed potatoes as ice cream.

nosering
Oct 12, 2012
I've been trying to replicate this Korean dish for a kind of sweet and spicy chicken called Ggan Soo Yuk (or Tang Su Yuk, among other variations) to no avail. I can't seem to get down the same level of sweetness or tang that I find at most Korean restaurants in my city.

Anyone got any good recipes for this kind of thing?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Have you made maangchi's version of tangsuyuk? I don't know how sweet you like yours, but her recipe is pretty bitchin.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I was more going by reviews than quantity, but yea I'll probably get the 3-cup version. Sounds like a good option.

Worth noting that their cups are small, so that's 2.25 cups of dry rice (or 1.5 cups of brown rice or long grain rice). I'm happy with the 3-cup I just got, since it's a bit cheaper than the larger one, but it's a bit restrictive if you're cooking for more than 2.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Zojirushi owns and if you don't buy one you might as well buy those OLD BEN instant rice packets or some poo poo.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

PRADA SLUT posted:

Zojirushi owns and if you don't buy one you might as well buy those OLD BEN instant rice packets or some poo poo.

I've eaten those three times and three times I've gotten amazingly bad diarrhea.

YMMV. :(

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

dino. posted:

http://goonswithspoons.com/Tomato_Curry_by_Dino

It was written specifically to use around 3 kg of tomato. If you have slightly less, it'll still be hella delicious. Feel free to scale back the recipe if you wish.

Looks nice! I spent all day at work thinking about the endless tomato possibilities only to come home a find that the wife had put the tomatoes in the fridge :suicide: They still have their crunch but basically all their flavour is gone. Oh well, some nice texture for sandwiches until they hit the compost I guess.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Aaronicon posted:

Looks nice! I spent all day at work thinking about the endless tomato possibilities only to come home a find that the wife had put the tomatoes in the fridge :suicide: They still have their crunch but basically all their flavour is gone. Oh well, some nice texture for sandwiches until they hit the compost I guess.

My condolences. For next time, this pasta sauce is also amazing.

Dead tomatoes can still be decent roasted.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I am currently making chicken stock from the carcass for the first time today, and was at a loss for what to actually do with the stock after I was done. After a bit of googling I came across people mentioning to soak or cook dry beans in it. I have a refried bean recipe I like to make, and was wondering:

Would it be better to soak the beans water and rinse the next day, and then cook it in the broth... or should I soak them in the broth and then just cook them as is?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I wouldn't use homemade stock to cook beans, I'd make some soup or braise some meats or something.

But if you insist on making beans, soak with water, drain, and do the actual cooking in the broth.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Panasonic is just as good.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Aaronicon posted:

Uh oh, are we not supposed to do that?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

nosering posted:

I've been trying to replicate this Korean dish for a kind of sweet and spicy chicken called Ggan Soo Yuk (or Tang Su Yuk, among other variations) to no avail. I can't seem to get down the same level of sweetness or tang that I find at most Korean restaurants in my city.

Anyone got any good recipes for this kind of thing?

Can you get the exact name from the restaurant? Preferably in Korean rather than whatever godawful Romanization they're using that creates ggan soo yuk. Tangsuyuk is pork, not chicken, so that's not what we're looking for here. If you're mistaken on the chicken part and it is tangsuyuk, my friend owns a restaurant that makes the best I've had, I can ask him.

If you can get me the name I can get you a recipe for anything Korean. Benefits to living here. :buddy:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Saint Darwin posted:

Uh oh, are we not supposed to do that?

I find that tomatoes in the fridge end up getting "pithy" - that weird texture that sucks rear end.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Doh004 posted:

I find that tomatoes in the fridge end up getting "pithy" - that weird texture that sucks rear end.

I've only noticed that cold tomatoes get kind of weird. I let them warm up a bit before using and I don't think I can tell much of a difference.

Then again I'm really not a tomato guy. I only use them for salsas and basic tomato sauce. Oh, I guess Caprese salads too when I want a snack.

I'll start keeping them out, though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I actually use whole canned tomatoes for most everything all winter when they're out of season, because the hothouse ones suck.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I've been thinking about growing my own indoor heirloom tomatoes, but I haven't really taken the plunge with that one yet. Apparently lots of breeds keep their flavour decently well over the winter, but I don't know anybody that grows veggies indoors so I can't really confirm it first/secondhand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SubG posted:

We talked about Alfredo a couple pages back.

Thanks!