Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I can see why the Japanese fandom wasn't too big on these episodes, they ended up skipping alot of stuff to squeeze it all into two episodes which gives a little 'why bother' feeling to things.

At the same time though, the Ganondorf/Ganon boss fights(should I even be spoiler tagging this? I don't think I've seen a two-parter that Arino didn't end up beating) were really fun to watch so it wasn't an awful episode or anything. Thanks for cranking out the second part so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Language question: Why were there furigana used for the やぶさめ caption? Is 流鏑馬 not part of the ~2000 basic kanji? (Well, I know 馬 is one of them! :v:)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Even the common Kanji can have unusual and rare pronunciations in certain contexts, especially things like proper names, and they'll break out Furigana if it's something they feel is out there enough.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know, guys, saying that you hope an episode gets translated soon doesn't make things go any faster. I can promise you that none of the episodes mentioned lately are coming up next.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Personally I'm just holding my breath for either Mendel Palace, Super Gussun Oyoyo, Koushien Baseball, Kitaro's Graveyard, the Yuji Horii interview, Super Star Force, Mega Man 4 2-parter, Tower of Babel, Mr. Gimmick, F-Zero 2-parter, Tanto-R, Bio Soldier DAN, Metal Storm, Super Spy Hunter, Strider, Flying Dragon, Saint Seiya, Tenka no Goikenban, Central Park Murder Mystery, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Gradius, Kung Fu Heroes, the Dynamite Heady 2-parter, Takuhai- Get Fired Up, Captain Tsubasa 2-parter, Pilotwings, VICE: Project Doom, Famicom Detective Club, Karnov, River King 2, Pulseman, Kickle Cubicle, Mansion of Hidden Souls, and Kickle Cubicle. When are these going to come out? I hope it's soon.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not too excited about Captain Tsubasa, but otherwise your list is intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Personally I'm just holding my breath for either Mendel Palace, Super Gussun Oyoyo, Koushien Baseball, Kitaro's Graveyard, the Yuji Horii interview, Super Star Force, Mega Man 4 2-parter, Tower of Babel, Mr. Gimmick, F-Zero 2-parter, Tanto-R, Bio Soldier DAN, Metal Storm, Super Spy Hunter, Strider, Flying Dragon, Saint Seiya, Tenka no Goikenban, Central Park Murder Mystery, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Gradius, Kung Fu Heroes, the Dynamite Heady 2-parter, Takuhai- Get Fired Up, Captain Tsubasa 2-parter, Pilotwings, VICE: Project Doom, Famicom Detective Club, Karnov, River King 2, Pulseman, Kickle Cubicle, Mansion of Hidden Souls, and Kickle Cubicle. When are these going to come out? I hope it's soon.

It's already been stated that Nagoyan is already working on translating on Medel Palace.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

By some strange coincidence you've managed to hit on the next episode. And in case you didn't notice, we're in the middle of a deluge so you'll get the next one tonight.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Huh. I didn't know you could use Light Arrows to stun pig Ganon. Makes sense, I guess.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The segment is called "Arino's Challenge" and I think the show's a lot better when it stays that way. I don't like seeing them extend each challenge across multiple days or get the AD's help for large portions just so he can complete the challenge, in fact I'm fine with him failing the challenge.

Ocarina of Time was a poor choice of a game.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Andorra posted:

The segment is called "Arino's Challenge" and I think the show's a lot better when it stays that way. I don't like seeing them extend each challenge across multiple days or get the AD's help for large portions just so he can complete the challenge, in fact I'm fine with him failing the challenge.

Ocarina of Time was a poor choice of a game.

What's wrong with giving him another day if he needs it? He should only fail the challenge when he doesn't have the skill he'd need to complete the game, not if he's just running up against a time limit. Not that I'm disagreeing with you that Ocarina of Time was a poor choice of a game, but it's the only time I can think of that an AD has actually advanced the game in Arino's absence.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Brother Entropy posted:

I can see why the Japanese fandom wasn't too big on these episodes, they ended up skipping alot of stuff to squeeze it all into two episodes which gives a little 'why bother' feeling to things.

Pretty much this. There were a ton of things I was looking forward to seeing Arino experience and they were completely skipped over. This is definitely the first GCCX challenge where I've felt like I was better off not watching it.

The episodes did have a fair amount of sweet music though, so there's that I guess.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Son Ryo posted:

What's wrong with giving him another day if he needs it? He should only fail the challenge when he doesn't have the skill he'd need to complete the game, not if he's just running up against a time limit. Not that I'm disagreeing with you that Ocarina of Time was a poor choice of a game, but it's the only time I can think of that an AD has actually advanced the game in Arino's absence.

It's happened in the live challenges. Lemmings I'm pretty sure.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Am I alone in not caring if he beats the challenge or not?

1 day, 2 days... whatever. I agree seeing a game with most of the content gone is lame though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Blackchamber posted:

Am I alone in not caring if he beats the challenge or not?

1 day, 2 days... whatever. I agree seeing a game with most of the content gone is lame though.

I think it's all up to how entertaining it is in the end.

In Adventure Island, I will always remember Pon De donuts, 'MASTER TAKAHASHI! uwa' and that an AD had to stay up all night to get to the ending. He did not complete this challenge of course.

In Bio Miracle, I remember even less details, even though he actually beat that game. I think one of the ADs got him a cake.

Most people would say he didn't finish the challenge in Umihara Kaiwase, but yet I'll still remember it for him laughing at the replay, INOKO MAX, and 'I like games a normal amount.'

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Son Ryo posted:

it's the only time I can think of that an AD has actually advanced the game in Arino's absence.

Emoto played several of the last stages of Wrecking Crew overnight, because Arino only had 4 hours available the next day.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I was kinda disapponted that we didnt get to see an amazing Arino reaction to the terrifying fairy/low-rent hooker

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I think OoT was okay. Definitely not the greatest episode and having so much cut out was kind of sad but they still managed to make it exciting and engaging to watch (and enraging sometimes! drat you Arino why do you have to suck so much sometimes :( )

I'm sad for him though, he really really wanted to play the horseback archery mini game and they even said he could do it the next day. Then he comes back and they are like "ha ha neener neener, we already did that for you! It was pretty drat fun though :haw:"

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

abraxas posted:

I'm sad for him though, he really really wanted to play the horseback archery mini game and they even said he could do it the next day. Then he comes back and they are like "ha ha neener neener, we already did that for you! It was pretty drat fun though :haw:"

Judging by Arinos reflexes, it would have been another day in the studio :smith:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

In Bio Miracle, I remember even less details, even though he actually beat that game. I think one of the ADs got him a cake.

Highligh of this episode was him singing along the disk system loading tune. "Gee-emu sentaa shii-ekkusu kachoo. On!" And of course Inoko MAX holding the monitor upside down.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Looks like Arino just saw a collage of birthday messages from overseas fans (put together by /v/?)

https://twitter.com/arimorokoshi415/status/306417787012780032

Arino: "What's this? Thank you!"

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

zari-gani posted:

Looks like Arino just saw a collage of birthday messages from overseas fans (put together by /v/?)

https://twitter.com/arimorokoshi415/status/306417787012780032

Arino: "What's this? Thank you!"

Haha awesome, my boyfriend signed that one. I was hoping Arino would get it!

e: And yes, it is indeed from /v/

SpaceGodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 26, 2013

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I really can't believe he even acknowledged that. I saw it pop up on /v/ and was just like "hoo, good luck with that one, kids," especially with some of the trollier bits in it. but uh, apparently they did have good luck. (making it humongous probably worked in their favor anyway.) I'll go eat a hat or something

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 27, 2013

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Quick translation of Arino's tweets:

"My birthday was yesterday but, is it the time zone difference? Lots of foreigners are sending me wishes. I'll write a reply.

It's my first time using Facebook, so what kind of face should I be making? Like my face being pressed against a book? Squished up.

The "Like" button, is it called?? has been clicked over 1000 times, apparently. Summer Wars is playing in my head.

But today is my wife's birthday, and I first need to take a bath with my kids, read them a story then put them to bed before writing it. Chief Arino takes care of his family and First Lady. Please wait a moment.

Finished writing a thank you message for Facebook. The person in charge will translate it to English. I'm sorry for making them work at night. Please wait a little while longer. Thank you."

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Been trying to find his facebook, can't find it. Anyone got a link? Unless it's a private Facebook, then nevermind

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I believe he's referring to the Retro Game Master USA Facebook, which is the only official GCCX FB.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Retro-Game-Master-USA/183607395031029

In other news, after looking at over 50 possible new locations, Gascoin Company completed their move to a bigger office. Unfortunately they didn't realize there's a phalaenopsis infestation.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 27, 2013

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

zari-gani posted:

In other news, after looking at over 50 possible new locations, Gascoin Company completed their move to a bigger office. Unfortunately they didn't realize there's a phalaenopsis infestation.
Fetch the sprayers! C'mon, there has to be some terribly old game Arino can play wherein the hero blasts mutated plantlife with an old-fashioned pump sprayer.

They're traditional celebratory gifts, such as upon moving to a new office. See the even more formidable infestation at DeNA's new offices (at the bottom of the page).

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I'm gonna be honest. I was really disappointed that they skipped at least 1/5th of the game (including two of my FAVOURITE parts)...buuuut the Water Temple in part 1 made up for it nicely with classic Arino trickery/failure. And part 2 demonstrated exactly WHY they had to do that. Dammit Arino if you were better we would have had those :(

But overall it was alright. Pretty good stuff, thanks a lot for translating those guys! :D

What did the "king" mean by Rally Champ when he introduces Ganondorf?

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 27, 2013

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
Literally, a champion of rallies like in a tennis match.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Super Star Force? A shooting game? Did Kan, Kibe, and Katayama suddenly forget who they're dealing with? They're throwing Arino into the deep end anyway.

This episode is brought to you by the sequel translator: Super Zari-Gani.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 636.52 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.
At the end of the OoT second part what was the deal with the 'shareholder' playing the MMO? Just an ad for a MMO leveraging a cute girl?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Man, I still haven't watched OoT part 2 yet, and you guys do this. I would be complaining, but more GCCX is always a good thing. :)
Toujima looks so chill riding the ship, although I think the picture would exceed cool levels if it were Abe riding it instead.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Watching Arino playing a Shoot Em Up is a fun time. Arino is really bad at shooting games.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I remember Super Star Force being teased in the back of the manuals for some NES Tecmo games (I had Star Force and Mighty Bomb Jack), but it ended up never getting a US release. I never bothered to check it out on emulators so this should be interesting!

RedFive
Feb 20, 2003

Two new episodes! You're the best. Thanks, SA GCCX Team! :yayclod:

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Fetch the sprayers! C'mon, there has to be some terribly old game Arino can play wherein the hero blasts mutated plantlife with an old-fashioned pump sprayer.

Donkey Kong 3 features a character blasting insects with a pump-spray and protecting possibly mutated plantlife. Does that help?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

OrochiKiyo posted:

Donkey Kong 3 features a character blasting insects with a pump-spray and protecting possibly mutated plantlife. Does that help?

I believe that's the joke.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
So apparently there's a Part 2 to the Fire Emblem Nintendo Channel episodes. It's out right now on the Japanese Nintendo Channel

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

bpc908 posted:

So apparently there's a Part 2 to the Fire Emblem Nintendo Channel episodes. It's out right now on the Japanese Nintendo Channel

Video split in 2 parts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8lAf6pKaWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKCdehqv1Uw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I really liked the Ocarina of Time challenge. With how people were talking about it before it was translated I was expecting it to bore me to sleep, but it was actually pretty entertaining throughout, which is all that matters in the end. It sucks that they had to skip so much of the game, but what they did show was fun, so I think it was fine.

This is also the first time Arino has played a game I'm good enough at to get frustrated watching. (oh my god, Bongo Bongo is kicking your rear end, why do you insist on keeping that Poe instead of getting a third fairy?) I always thought people who complained about the Mario World challenge being unwatchable or whatever because he's so bad were overreacting, but it really is super frustrating when he fails to grasp simple mechanics and ideas in a game you've played to death.