Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Is that actually true?

Yes. Before the internet "exposed" the business to younger fans in the late 90s, there were still tons of people who thought it was real. To maintain that illusion, promotion owners would seriously tell their wrestlers to "live the gimmick" in public. This actually resulted in at least one bad guy wrestler getting stabbed by a fan. Even now there are still enough people who still think it's all real that the "good guys" and "bad guys" have to travel on separate buses and avoid being friendly in public.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Today Rush was frothing at the mouth over Moochelle and the IRONY of her presenting an Oscar to Argo, a movie about a successful rescue of embassy personnel, and her failure to rescue embassy personnel in Benghazi. Then he called Manti Te'o gay, said NFL owners are nervous about drafting him and did the hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnghhhhhhg-bonk to ads. The first one being him selling Indian tractors to american farmers.

I almost drove off the road. I really wish my NPR station had something worth listening to during the 11:00 hour.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Dirk Pitt posted:

I almost drove off the road. I really wish my NPR station had something worth listening to during the 11:00 hour.

I was really disappointed when my local NPR affiliate, KERA, replaced Fresh Air at 11am with "The Take Away". It's not a bad show but it reminds much more of the right wing style radio than I would like.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Speaking of 'irony' - Rush making any commentary about the NFL will be tinged with rich-man's grudge for being blocked by the NFL from purchasing partial ownership of the St. Louis Rams. (For being a racist rear end in a top hat the NFL wants nothing to do with.) It's also why he flipped out going out of his way to mock the congresswoman who said the 'I stand here as a freed slave' line - she was one of the key people who raised a fuss over Rush being a racist rear end in a top hat who shouldn't be associated with the NFL, when he was trying to buy those shares.

Also - What are you doing listening to Rush? Don't you have a way to listen to podcasts on the road? You don't have to listen to that fat bloated pig or his advertisers.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 26, 2013

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby
Here's a fairly lucid and intelligent article from a rabid right winger.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/02/26/infantile_conservatism__117165.html

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

Dirk Pitt posted:

Today Rush was frothing at the mouth over Moochelle and the IRONY of her presenting an Oscar to Argo, a movie about a successful rescue of embassy personnel, and her failure to rescue embassy personnel in Benghazi. Then he called Manti Te'o gay, said NFL owners are nervous about drafting him and did the hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnghhhhhhg-bonk to ads. The first one being him selling Indian tractors to american farmers.

Just to be clear, most people who listen to Rush think he is a speaker for the republican party. Calling a woman a cow, especially the first lady is in itself entirely classless, but it gets the ratings right? You know, I was going to write up a long response on how toxic this guy is, but I don't have too. Guys a walking Onion article these days anyways. It is kind of amusing how the whole "nation of fear" thing is finally breaking down. The republicans are stuck in fear, and they are it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

The only people I fear are the crazies telling us what they think we should fear.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

SilentD posted:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/02/26/infantile_conservatism__117165.html

Incidentally, I love that he calls World War Two era Japan "The Empire of the Sun". It makes it seem like we're living in some kind of D&D campaign.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

SilentD posted:

Pat Buchanan? There wasn't a single racist remark int he entire thing!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SilentD posted:

Jennifer Rubin Is An Idiot is hardly a deep thought, but hey if it's obvious enough even Patty Patty Buke Buke can tell...

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Minorities posted:

Yes. Before the internet "exposed" the business to younger fans in the late 90s, there were still tons of people who thought it was real. To maintain that illusion, promotion owners would seriously tell their wrestlers to "live the gimmick" in public. This actually resulted in at least one bad guy wrestler getting stabbed by a fan. Even now there are still enough people who still think it's all real that the "good guys" and "bad guys" have to travel on separate buses and avoid being friendly in public.

This reminds me of hearing about the time Hacksaw Jim Duggan and the Iron Sheik (long before he became an internet cult hero) were busted together for DUI/drug possession:

quote:

In 1987, Duggan and the Iron Sheik (Khosrow Vasiri) were pulled over by New Jersey police after a WWF event, suspecting Duggan of driving under the influence. After a search of the vehicle and the persons, police discovered that Duggan was under the influence of marijuana and alcohol, while Vasiri was high on cocaine. Small amounts of cocaine were also found in the vehicle. Duggan received a conditional release while Vasiri was placed on probation for a year. The scandal that erupted after two in-ring enemies were found drinking and doing drugs together led to the end of the angle, the Sheik's release, and Duggan's temporary departure from WWF. Duggan soon returned to wrestling.[90][91][92][93][94]

That's probably as bad of a character break as you could have back then.

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet

Spacedad posted:

The only people I fear are the crazies telling us what they think we should fear.

Fox News Wishes Viewers "Happy Holidays" After Bill O'Reilly's Christmas Rant

Just a reminder of how weird life is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XlxgnEJlZg

Not Merry Christmas, Fox news has declared war on Christmas in less than 3 seconds after declaring war on Christmas.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Pat Buchanan? There wasn't a single racist remark int he entire thing!

He forced the phrase "wee-wee'd up" in there unnecessarily, I think that counts

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

SilentD posted:

Countdown to Buchanan being stripped of his "true conservative" status, or did that happen when he took the gig on MSNBC? It's a real shame that the best rebuke I've seen of the "rah rah bomb Iran" mindset had to come from Pat "it sounded better in the original German" Buchanan.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Skex posted:

Countdown to Buchanan being stripped of his "true conservative" status, or did that happen when he took the gig on MSNBC? It's a real shame that the best rebuke I've seen of the "rah rah bomb Iran" mindset had to come from Pat "it sounded better in the original German" Buchanan.

He got the boot when he pointed out that our foreign policy and economic fiasco's weren't Obama's fault, and were instead a result of the Republican elite who didn't actually govern along conservative (cautious foreign foreign policy, not wracking up debt) guidelines and let NYC bankers run loose. Which is heretical.

It's hard to tell at times though. He's a hardcore enough culture warrior he still retains some conservative cred for all his "America will fall when it is not a Christian society with WASP values" rants, which are common. But he's a populist and foreign policy realist as well, and completely at home calling the neoconservatives and libertarians out on their poo poo as well.

IMHO I'm kinda sad MSNBC let him go. Whatever else you can say the dude isn't stupid and is totally willing and able to argue his own points. They could have just pushed him out to talk about economic and foreign policy issues, rather than serving him up to talk about social issues. But having an intelligent Republican contradict the economic and FP consensus of Washington DC isn't what MSNBC wants on TV, and culture rants get far more ratings.

You shouldn't be so shocked that he's lucid on this, the dude is at core a Ike/Nixon Republican who never grew out of that era. Calling conservatives a bunch of pussies over this Iran thing because we could just obliterate them and blaming the current problems on the Bush crew is the sort of thing he'd do.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I was really disappointed when my local NPR affiliate, KERA, replaced Fresh Air at 11am with "The Take Away". It's not a bad show but it reminds much more of the right wing style radio than I would like.

KERA was one of the best parts of living in DFW. My local NPR station now is all classical music and BBC World Service at night and it's just not the same, so I've been listening to a lot more CTR.

One thing that blows me away is how many commercials there are. I'm sure that listening almost exclusively to NPR for a few years has spoiled me, but some day I want to sit down with a stopwatch and find out exactly how much "content" is in a typical 3 hour installment of Rush or Hannity. If you take out time devoted to actual traditional commercials and then take out time devoted to live on-air product endorsements, I'd wager there's less than 20 minutes of real discussion and commentary per hour.

Of course this doesn't even account for the fact that all of these shows will mostly be covering the exact same talking points for weeks at a time. Even if I agreed with what they were saying, I don't think the incessant barrage of ads would be remotely enjoyable to listen to.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Pat Buchanan basically doesn't like Jews, and because almost any deviation from the Republican story is more likely to be correct than the Republican story itself that antipathy leads him to be correct sometimes.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

pangstrom posted:

Pat Buchanan basically doesn't like Jews, and because almost any deviation from the Republican story is more likely to be correct than the Republican story itself that antipathy leads him to be correct sometimes.

That's not really what's going on. Pat is pretty much insanely defensive of "his people". Which is working class, white, Christian, middle America. And he goes after anyone who he thinks is screwing them over or belittling them. That leads him to some crazy places on social issues about minorities (not justifiable), and is the root of his extreme rage at white elite liberals (completely justifiable). But it's also why he rails against the neoconservatives and libertarians because he accurately see's them as using and loving over "his people".

Real economic populism goes hand in hand with social conservatism in this country, also with a dash of zany isolationalism and jingoism.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Buchanan's in one of those weird pre-Vatican II Catholic sects. It's pretty straight antisemitism on his part, though he had ample company among Nixon and friends.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.
Have any of you guys heard of Dr. Ben Carson? I heard him on On Point on NPR today being a cliche-regurgitation machine ("Flat tax is not ideology," standard Obummer nonsense, moral decay of society, etc) all while vehemently denying being 'politically affiliated.' I also read somewhere that he doesn't believe in evolution--while being a Yale-educated pediatric neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Badera posted:

Have any of you guys heard of Dr. Ben Carson? I heard him on On Point on NPR today being a cliche-regurgitation machine ("Flat tax is not ideology," standard Obummer nonsense, moral decay of society, etc) all while vehemently denying being 'politically affiliated.' I also read somewhere that he doesn't believe in evolution--while being a Yale-educated pediatric neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins.

This is a common thing these days. Espouse lovely republican ideas, morals, and talking points, all while calling yourself independent. They're just too embarrassed to call themselves what they actually are.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sword of Chomsky posted:

This is a common thing these days. Espouse lovely republican ideas, morals, and talking points, all while calling yourself independent. They're just too embarrassed to call themselves what they actually are.

Being nominally independent is fashionable among the conservative set these days.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Lester Shy posted:

KERA was one of the best parts of living in DFW. My local NPR station now is all classical music and BBC World Service at night and it's just not the same, so I've been listening to a lot more CTR.

One thing that blows me away is how many commercials there are. I'm sure that listening almost exclusively to NPR for a few years has spoiled me, but some day I want to sit down with a stopwatch and find out exactly how much "content" is in a typical 3 hour installment of Rush or Hannity. If you take out time devoted to actual traditional commercials and then take out time devoted to live on-air product endorsements, I'd wager there's less than 20 minutes of real discussion and commentary per hour.

Of course this doesn't even account for the fact that all of these shows will mostly be covering the exact same talking points for weeks at a time. Even if I agreed with what they were saying, I don't think the incessant barrage of ads would be remotely enjoyable to listen to.

KERA is indeed the best thing in DFW even if was just BRUCE GUNN *pistol noises* doing traffic between hour long marathons of classical music. http://keranews.org/post/keras-voice-traffic-legs-make-headlines

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Anyone else hearing various right-wing news guys shilling for email addresses at Reagan.com?

I've heard a number of them talking about it, but today I heard Rush going on about how your Reagan.com email address makes a statement - you're a high-information, intelligent person. Okay, sure.

It's finally here: the right wingers (well, Michael Reagan, anyway) are literally making money directly off Ronald Reagan's name. Not that I'm surprised, but It's just funny to see them selling the Gipper for $40 / annually. It's only a hairsbreadth away from the Ferengi practice of family members selling pieces of their dead relatives (Star Trek stuff).

Walter fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 26, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I remember signing up for Rahowa1488@reagan.com a while back

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Now to set up roosevelt.com just to gently caress with right wingers.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Walter posted:

Anyone else hearing various right-wing news guys shilling for email addresses at Reagan.com?

I've heard a number of them talking about it, but today I heard Rush going on about how your Reagan.com email address makes a statement - you're a high-information, intelligent person. Okay, sure.

It's finally here: the right wingers (well, Michael Reagan, anyway) are literally making money directly off Ronald Reagan's name. Not that I'm surprised, but It's just funny to see them selling the Gipper for $40 / annually. It's only a hairsbreadth away from the Ferengi practice of family members selling pieces of their dead relatives (Star Trek stuff).

This is hilarious, I still can't find a place on the site that explains why I'd want a reagan.com email address in the first place.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Walter posted:

I think a goon has either throwjizz@reagan.com or throwacid@reagan.com.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

nachos posted:

This is hilarious, I still can't find a place on the site that explains why I'd want a reagan.com email address in the first place.

They told me why on talk radio yesterday, apparently if you send enough emails to people with your @reagan.com email eventually you'll convert someone to conservatism and that's worth every penny of the $40/year.

EDIT: Also gmail STEALS YOUR DATA and uses it for LIBERAL causes!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Sword of Chomsky posted:

It's more that they want to pretend they're being objective with their right wing talking points.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Soonmot posted:

These guys got me good the other day. Someone posted one of their anti-immigration videos on face book and I commented on it as if it were real. Poe's Law is a total bitch.

Holy poo poo, I'm impressed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nachos posted:

Duh. To be cool of course.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Hahaha Tyler the Creator was the music guest on Fallon today. Look who else was there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Y'all forgot to post the delicious Ben Shapiro tears following Hagel's confirmation!

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/306532344922255360

quote:

Ben Shapiro
‏@benshapiro
Congrats to Islamists, anti-Semites, isolationists, anti-Israel extremists of all stripes, and people who just wanted a moron as SecDef!

:qq:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The celebration party at the Friends of Hamas office got so out of hand, the cops had to come in and shut it down.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

FMguru posted:

The celebration party at the Friends of Hamas office got so out of hand, the cops had to come in and shut it down.

The lamb kebobs were delicious.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why is the right convinced that Iran loves him, he hates Jews, and he will destroy Israel? I thought they were just being obstructionist poo poo heads, I didn't realize they had an ostensible reason for it.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Warchicken posted:

Why is the right convinced that Iran loves him, he hates Jews, and he will destroy Israel? I thought they were just being obstructionist poo poo heads, I didn't realize they had an ostensible reason for it.

No serious/honest person thinks this. It's all an attempt to make a big deal out of nothing. Also if anything remotely bad happens under Hagel's watch shitheads like Ben Shapiro can go LOOK I TOLD YOU SO.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Warchicken posted:

Because Obama.

No, seriously, that's why. They're just full of irrational hatred and stopped conducting themselves like adults, or even adolescents by that token, a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Obama isn't bad because he does anti-American things, things are anti-American because Obama does them.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 27, 2013