Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
It will freeze to death outside, I can pretty much promise you. If you want to keep it, geckos aren't very hard; given the distribution of it look up Tokay requirements and that ought to put you on the right track.

They wouldn't hibernate(mammal thing), but they *might* brumate. I really don't know and quick searches aren't turning up much, they don't seem to be a popular pet in the english-speaking herp world.

That being said, office buildings typically have a lot more bugs than you think, they just rarely come into sight unless your workmates are filthy and leave food out everywhere. My impression of office building maintenance has been "out of sight, out of mind"; my old job(which was working for a humongous defense corporation who had a higher net profit than many countries' GDPs. If it flies and/or explodes and kills people either intentionally or accidentally they have a hand in it) had mushrooms growing out of the floor/wall of the men's room, and all they did was chop them off and bleach the area of floor and tile that looked off-color. God knows what is lurking in those walls still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOO PUNCH!!
Oct 28, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBkWhkAZ9ds

Namaqua Rain Frog! :swoon:

I investigated a bit and found out that several similar African Breviceps species (but not B.namaquensis) are kept as pets. There are a lot of videos of pet rainfrogs on youtube, mainly from Japan. Due to their burrowing habits and aestivation, I feel like they would be difficult to keep, though. I've seen some cool rain frog enclosures that are filled 2/3 the way with substrate to allow extensive burrowing. If I had one, I would always worry about some minor environmental stress causing it to burrow and aestivate without adequately eating/hydrating beforehand :ohdear:

I don't plan on getting one, at least not any time soon, but I would love to see one in person. Anyone have experience keeping these?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Everyone knows that goons are all shut-ins and don't do things on Friday nights.

WELL. This goon was different! This goon dug up 15 leopard tortoise eggs....and found another 8 in a side cavity of the hole. That's right. This goon got lucky with 23 eggs.

There is no more room in either incubator.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Welp, no lizard chow, mealworms, or crickets at the nearby pet store, and that is better stocked than any I've seen. Closest thing they've got is turtle food.

What can I feed this little bastard while I order something appropriate? Wild insects are hard to find around here at any time of year, and drat near impossible right now.

edit:
I'm not sure about getting crickets. I can buy them online, small enough, even, but I've got no idea how many I can have and expect them to keep. I don't know if I feel up to caring for crickets and the lizard, I can't find any packaged lizard food online (my Chinese sucks, and apparently Chinese people don't really like lizards), and I'm not sure I could get away with keeping them at work anyway. The pet shop downstairs may be getting mealworms next week, and I can get those online here. A UV light and calcium supplement, no problem.

Anyhow, I guess I just need to know what a carnivorous (AFAIK this species eats almost nothing but insects) gecko can eat long-term and not die from it. Would shrimp be okay? I can get tiny shrimp anywhere around here.

I didn't ask for this, I just didn't want to see this cool little animal (which was exhausted when it was found...it's more active now, though all it wants to do is hide) die.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 24, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

Play this with cats in the room and watch them freak out.

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.
Man....I hate when the rats explode. It gets so messy. After Chester was done it looked like a murder scene.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
That burn is so close to hypo it's crazy. Makes you wonder...

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.
When I picked him up the kid told me he was normal het green, albino and carmel. I was pretty sure he was lying through his teeth trying to get more money. I don't ever plan on breeding my two burms (we don't need more in the market that's for sure) but I have always wondered if Chester might have at least one het.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Ugh, I hate that too. Even though my ball python is incredibly tiny in comparison, she still bursts mice on occasion. I wonder if there's a study done anywhere about the pounds per square inch of a constricting snake.

On another note, I'm hyped about Columbia Repticon. I don't want to buy too much at once but I have a feeling I'm coming home with at least another CBB hognose or ball python. They're such great pets and I'm trying to keep from going hog wild but :3: snakes

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So, considering getting a Ball Python, Rosy Boa, or perhaps a smaller snake as a first reptile pet. Basically, I wanted to get rid of some delusions I may have. I know a snake isn't a cuddly kitty, and that I can't fall asleep spooning it or whatever, but I would like a snake that I can handle a bit, and I was wondering if any snakes actually enjoy being handled to some degree or if it is basically a neutral experience for them, or what? Also, and this one may be a bit silly, do you feel like your snake recognizes you? Just curious, haven't had many reptile owners as friends in my lifetime.

GCOAP
Nov 4, 2006
Snakes pretty much just tolerate being handled, some more then others. For a first snake it depends on what sort of interaction you are looking for. Ball's will tend to sit and not move much. Rose's move a little more but I have not handled them a whole lot only baby sat one for a week. Corns are another good first snake choice but they tend to be constantly moving. I would recommend getting some hands on experience to see what you want to have and then do a lot of research about the animal. If you do get a ball be prepared for it not to eat. Some of my sub adults and adults will go 6-8 months without food sometimes. This is nothing to worry about it is pretty much like you or I skipping breakfast and having a late lunch.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
My corn tolerates my (mis)handlings quite a bit but I wouldnt ever say he enjoys it.

During PISS, he modeled some bird scarves for me because the birds were less willing participants :3: Hes calmed down a lot during the years- not that he was ever feisty- he just liked exploring. Now hes a bit slower and I probably could have left him on that stepladder for a bit without him going anywhere (he sat like there for a while). Not at all headshy and I like to mush him into a ball, grab his face and babytalk at him.

I like my ball too but I'm probably biased because corns were my first. Shes not as tolerant and more headshy, but thats probably because I havent handled her as much. They get quite a bit girthier than colubrids so that is something to consider?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Hmmm well I'm not really all that concerned with "cool" feeding sessions, I just like the ambience of a snake but if I can't ever handle it or if I should only handle it very rarely then that is definitely a negative against getting one. I have held other peoples' snakes and I just love the texture and feel of a snake so if I can get one that doesn't mind being handled that would be awesome. Corn snakes are quite tiny, no? Are they still fun to own?

I hear bearded dragons also like human interaction so those are also under consideration :)

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

an skeleton posted:

Hmmm well I'm not really all that concerned with "cool" feeding sessions, I just like the ambience of a snake but if I can't ever handle it or if I should only handle it very rarely then that is definitely a negative against getting one. I have held other peoples' snakes and I just love the texture and feel of a snake so if I can get one that doesn't mind being handled that would be awesome. Corn snakes are quite tiny, no? Are they still fun to own?

I hear bearded dragons also like human interaction so those are also under consideration :)

Corns get around 3 to 4 feet usually and are one of the absolute best beginner snakes.

Ball pythons are good for handling, but can sometimes be a headache with feeding. Rosy boas are awesome and feed REALLY well, and are usually really calm species when it comes to handling.

Reptiles really don't "enjoy" interaction with people, they merely tolerate it. Beardies are typically very docile and tolerate handling really well.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

an skeleton posted:

You should be able to handle the snake plenty once you give it a week or so to settle in to its new home, as long as you're not handling it for hours at a time every single day it will be just fine. There are plenty of snakes that tolerate handling well.

Baby corn snakes are very tiny..but the adults are a nice size snake! If you want one on the larger size you can always get a female which tend to be more bulky.

I would not really recommend ball pythons for first time owners. I know a lot of people do, but their feeding habits can be annoying as all hell, and they seem to get shedding issues fairly easily.

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

If you are going to get a snake I would recommend not listening too much to the pet store people. They often give misinformation regarding reptiles and so checking here is always a good idea. I have had people at PetCo and PetsMart tell me that red tail boas are good beginner species and because I know better I wanted to laugh in their face. The (fairly) cheep red tails can get to be upwards of 6 to even 10 feet long and require a good bit of space. They often keep too many snakes in one bin. Snakes DO NOT like to hang out with other snakes. They don't cuddle. So if anyone ever suggests getting more than one just know they shouldn't go in the same space. Just thought it was worth a mention to look out for these things since my first snake experience was from a misinformed pet store employee.

As for handling of snakes, everyone else has said it. However, I think a lot of that can depend on the snake's own personality too. I have to burmese pythons (NOT a beginner snake btw). One of them goes to PetCo with me and sits in my car on the back window ledge in the sun. She doesn't stress about being touched by strangers. She has been my ambassador snake for people that are scared or don't know that snakes are human killers. My other burmese python I wouldn't trust around people I don't know and he is not interested in sitting on me or around me like my female. So that's just an example of how two of the same species could possibly handle being handled differently.

I have owned MANY species of snakes and by far I am the MOST fed up with ball pythons. I have many different morphs and normals and still haven't encountered one that didn't have problems feeding at some point. It is frustrating and for people that don't know, can be scary. Kingsnakes and Corns tend to be much more active in their enclosures and when handled. This can be good for some people who don't want a boring pet snake that just sits there (ahem...ball python). I have absolutely fell in love with sand boas and will be getting a few at the next show. They seem to be very interesting, they don't get too big, they have nice patterns, and they seem to be somewhat active. Corn snakes come in some AMAZING colorations btw. You can get a corn in just about any color combo you can think of (well almost).

So keep asking questions. I have 7 snakes currently and they are by far my favorite type of animal I own.

**As for bearded dragons - DO A LOT OF RESEARCH. I have always wanted one but with my schedule and money, they don't seem nearly as easy to deal with. Someone told me they go through 20 crickets A DAY with their beardy. I didn't do enough research to know if that was true or not but I like snakes because if you leave for a week they don't even notice.

Sweet CupnCakes fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 26, 2013

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Sweet CupnCakes posted:

If you are going to get a snake I would recommend not listening too much to the pet store people.
Snakes DO NOT like to hang out with other snakes.

Also, I'd recommend not buying a pet store snake, either. If you buy directly from a breeder, you'll probably get a much healthier animal, and often cheaper (though shipping adds cost).

As far as the second statement, it's pretty much completely true so I'm not aiming to contradict you, but I thought I'd link to a blog about some studies that suggest that rattlesnakes may engage in some social behavior. It's really cool and poses some neat implications for the way we think of some snakes.

http://blog.socialsnakes.org/; there are links to papers on the blog. It's nothing completely conclusive, but there's some really interesting data, at least.

Ha; just noticed a friend's name in a sourced paper on that link!

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

OneTwentySix posted:

Also, I'd recommend not buying a pet store snake, either. If you buy directly from a breeder, you'll probably get a much healthier animal, and often cheaper (though shipping adds cost).

As far as the second statement, it's pretty much completely true so I'm not aiming to contradict you, but I thought I'd link to a blog about some studies that suggest that rattlesnakes may engage in some social behavior. It's really cool and poses some neat implications for the way we think of some snakes.

http://blog.socialsnakes.org/; there are links to papers on the blog. It's nothing completely conclusive, but there's some really interesting data, at least.

Okay, then when you purchase rattlesnakes maybe get more than one. (wink)
I kid, I kid.
Fascinating article. Thank you for sharing.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
To you guys who goes to show often, how common are viper geckos? The Tiney Park show is in a couple weeks and repticon is in June so im on the look out for the cute little buggers.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

OneTwentySix posted:

That looks like a cool blog, and there are actually a lot of fairly interesting studies on social interactions in snakes in general. Louisiana pine snake males seem to have set territories that females wander through, although I don't know how they establish who controls what area as males do not combat in that species. Communal rookeries among rattlesnake species has been known for awhile as well.

For the person that asked about snake recognition, it definitely seems like 'higher order' reptiles recognize individuals. The red-tailed ratsnakes at the zoo freaked the gently caress out once when their keeper wore a visor while working their cage, and the female bit a different keeper on the face the first time she tried to work their cage. My pine snakes don't show defensive behavior towards me, but still rattle their tails and occasionally hiss at strangers. I could see a group of garter snakes doing fine together, and the zoo keeps 8 tentacled snakes (mix of adults and babies) together fine.

Oh, I went to a local private zoo over valentines day, and they were housing a timber rattlesnake and a copperhead together. :what: That is not a good example of communal housing.

OneTwentySix, do you know of any good articles or papers on nutrition & water quality for tadpoles? If you have the time, I'd like to pick your brain about some health issues I don't want to post here.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 27, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
From the little I have read it seems a Rosy Boa would be a good snake for me? If anyone knows anything more about those little guys please let me know. I kind of want something bigger than a corn snake but not huge so that seems good to me. Do people really keep Anacondas? I saw them on some breeder's site and I thought for sure those would be illegal to keep.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

an skeleton posted:

From the little I have read it seems a Rosy Boa would be a good snake for me? If anyone knows anything more about those little guys please let me know. I kind of want something bigger than a corn snake but not huge so that seems good to me. Do people really keep Anacondas? I saw them on some breeder's site and I thought for sure those would be illegal to keep.

Rosys are great snakes, although they're a stockier than corns (at least the females are), they're usually shorter than them.

Something to consider if you want something a bit larger than a corn is a member of the Pituophis genus. Pines, gophers, and bulls tend to have more attitude than corns and get considerably larger (but not too large).

Yes, people keep anacondas, and unfortunately 99% of the people that do, shouldn't.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cless Alvein posted:

To you guys who goes to show often, how common are viper geckos? The Tiney Park show is in a couple weeks and repticon is in June so im on the look out for the cute little buggers.

A few years back it seemed that vipers were pretty common and cheap, but they've quadrupled in price and have become really scarce now.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Big Centipede posted:

Rosys are great snakes, although they're a stockier than corns (at least the females are), they're usually shorter than them.

Something to consider if you want something a bit larger than a corn is a member of the Pituophis genus. Pines, gophers, and bulls tend to have more attitude than corns and get considerably larger (but not too large).

Yes, people keep anacondas, and unfortunately 99% of the people that do, shouldn't.

of those people that shouldn't, i'm assuming you are saying they can't accommodate them. in such a case, what happens? they let them out into the wild, or do they just execute them themselves? seems pretty awful.

edit: I'm applying to various colleges for the fall, and there's a chance I may stay in a dorm room (hopefully I get an apartment.) In any case, there is a chance that I cannot keep a snake. Would it be irresponsible to get one now knowing that, or is it fairly easy to find herp-people that would want one at a cheap price or maybe even free? Of course I would try to bring it with me if at all possible.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 27, 2013

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Some people probably dump them off on anyone that will take them (other private owners, some pet stores, rescues, etc.) I've never heard of anyone releasing an anaconda, but it wouldn't surprise me. Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any places (zoos, institutions) that keep any other species than green anacondas?

Doubling up on the pituophis love. I've got a Northern and Southern pine snakes, and they are awesome. They are very active, and explore any chance they get. The do get big, but not bulky. Females should end up around 6ft, males might near 8ft, but that would be a hell of a big male. Even at that size, they still are about as big around as the space between your forefinger and thumb in a circle. You'll also never, ever need to worry about a bad feeding one; little dump trucks they are. Temperment wise, pines are generally the most docile, then gophers, then bulls. Cape gopher snakes are a gorgeous colour and are generally available if you just watch for them.

Just saw your edit. You might want to wait on the snake until you live somewhere outside of dorms. Any local zoos or nature centers you could volunteer at to get some reptile experience in until then? Once you have your own place, a snake isn't hard to move, especially something the size of a king or corn.

ZarathustraFollower fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 27, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

El Paso zoo keeps yellow anacondas (Eunectes notaeus). Why?

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Just curious. I figured yellow would be the only other species even likely to be around in the US, but I've only ever seen greens. Partially because every (non-herp) person seems to think an anaconda is a single species of reptiles. Hell, I recently got in a facebook argument about exotic pet owners, and the person brought up how awful we all are and that we released our anacondas in the everglades. It was a 'fun' conversation.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That's... depressing. The yellow anacondas are pretty interesting to listen to the keepers talk about and watch them deal with and whatnot. And we're an AZA zoo. No way in hell any of our snakes are running around in the everglades. :colbert:

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, I've been lucky enough to go in with the keeper and work with the green anacondas at the zoo here. It's kinda funny, the bigger one just kinda looked at us and flopped back down. He is so lazy he has learned that if he waits long enough the keeper will come in and manually remove his old shed skin rather than rub it off himself.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Just curious. I figured yellow would be the only other species even likely to be around in the US, but I've only ever seen greens. Partially because every (non-herp) person seems to think an anaconda is a single species of reptiles. Hell, I recently got in a facebook argument about exotic pet owners, and the person brought up how awful we all are and that we released our anacondas in the everglades. It was a 'fun' conversation.

Out of curiosity, are you located anywhere near the everglades, or even anywhere that your reptiles could survive in the wild?

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

After some thought, I've been considering getting a Frilled Dragon. I've been reading that they are similar to care for Beardies, aside from needing more climbing spots and higher humidity. Anyone have any experience with them? For my Beardie, I give him a bath once/twice a week and a spray from time to time to keep him hydrated, but what would I do to keep a tank more humid for something like a Frilled?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Yestermoment posted:

After some thought, I've been considering getting a Frilled Dragon. I've been reading that they are similar to care for Beardies, aside from needing more climbing spots and higher humidity. Anyone have any experience with them? For my Beardie, I give him a bath once/twice a week and a spray from time to time to keep him hydrated, but what would I do to keep a tank more humid for something like a Frilled?

Frilleds are a pretty big step up from a beardie. They need a very large cage and they tend to be nervous.

GOO PUNCH!!
Oct 28, 2010
I am interested in getting a budgett's frog. They seem to have fairly simple care requirements, aside from their 3-month aestivation period where they burrow and make a "coccoon". Anyone have experience keeping these guys? I love the blank expressions on their faces, looks just like :frog:

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

Out of curiosity, are you located anywhere near the everglades, or even anywhere that your reptiles could survive in the wild?

Maryland. Besides the Mediterranean house gecko no invasives here that I can think of.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Big Centipede posted:

Frilleds are a pretty big step up from a beardie. They need a very large cage and they tend to be nervous.
They're also insectivorous so they'll probably be expensive to feed too. They sure are neat though.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Got this customer- he comes in regularly buying pinkies for his monitor (I forget the species). He said it was getting expensive to feed his guy- $20+ a feeding (!?) and outgrew crickets. I asked how big it was and mentioned that he should probably move onto bigger prey (He didnt because it made it messy) because of the bone/nutrition content. Suggested purchasing mice in bulk too.

He asked if he could feed this: http://www.naturesvariety.com/InstinctRaw/dog/chicken and other protein options like the beef. I really wasnt sure what to say, while the meat ingredients looked alright, but theres all the fruits/veg/supplements too...its obviously not balanced for a reptile and would probably have to add in reptile vitamins or supplement in other varieties of food.

Whats the best things to be offering them anyway? Monitors sound expensive to feed in general- insect prey, rodents, eggs?...but Im reading online that they feed gizzard/hearts, meat, dog food etc. Curious if thats a good staple for them nutritionally.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So a friend of mine got some leopard tortoise babies from us years ago. Despite us trying to correct issues with his care of them (like feeding them mostly, if not all, Romaine lettuce and no grasses or other greens) the torts grew and laid eggs, and have several times. Only one baby has survived, which my friend puts down to inbreeding of the parents.

Tonight he brought over the two-year-old baby, which is about the size of your fist. And pyramided horribly. Her shell was heavy, her body was light, and he brought her over because her head was stuck in her shell. Literally stuck. After working with her for about an hour, my mom said she was out of ideas, that if something was stuck in her throat or skin inside the shell, we couldn't see it.

I understand my friend was under pressure, but damnit dude, we are not your vet, and damnit, don't get snippy when my mom says she wasn't sure she'd be able to help. "Well, I wish you'd said that earlier!"

gently caress you, buddy. Next time take her straight to the vet. Or we can tell you over the phone to soak her and then take her to the vet.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So, how hard are Peach Throat Monitors to take care of? I'm looking wayyyyyy into the future here but drat these things look amazing!

I also imagine you can't handle them at all?

double edit: Now I'm curious. what are the HARDEST reptiles to take care of?

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 2, 2013

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Cowslips that sucks...:(

an skeleton posted:

double edit: Now I'm curious. what are the HARDEST reptiles to take care of?

I'm going to say venomous/hots. Even if some idiots might not agree, you always need to be on your toes around them when taking care of them which kind of trumps just about everything else because if you gently caress up with a hot reptile you're going to have a good hospital stay and/or potentially die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Greycious posted:

Cowslips that sucks...:(

I'm going to say venomous/hots. Even if some idiots might not agree, you always need to be on your toes around them when taking care of them which kind of trumps just about everything else because if you gently caress up with a hot reptile you're going to have a good hospital stay and/or potentially die.

What are some of the more popular venomous ones? And does hot mean venomous or just bacteria infested like some monitors?

• Locked thread