Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Still watching tonight's ep, but COLBY, THAT'S EXACTLY WHY THEY SAY TO ONLY GIVE LAST NAMES!

You could have said De Klerk, or even FW De Klerk, but you had to show off and you paid the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
He's still absolutely kicking rear end, and he got sassy with Alex. This guy really is the best.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Ugh Colby is such a smug prick, I was really hoping Keith was going to hand him his rear end

When was the last time a Teachers Goddamn Tournament champion cleaned up like this in the Tournament of Champions? Ever?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Gif Colby telling us to suck it.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Accept Colby into your heart and you'll find peace.

Also, did he do the Degeneration X gesture when he won? Or was I seeing (awesome) things?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

Ugh Colby is such a smug prick, I was really hoping Keith was going to hand him his rear end

When was the last time a Teachers Goddamn Tournament champion cleaned up like this in the Tournament of Champions? Ever?

Colby owns, haters out

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Colby 100% owns and I swear I'm not just saying that because my name is also Colby. When he told Trebek off for his dumb Colby Cheese anecdote I almost got up and cheered. Its either that or Colby College whenever I introduce myself to someone.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

zakharov posted:

Colby owns, haters out

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Colby 100% owns

funktopus posted:

Accept Colby into your heart and you'll find peace.
I will never kneel before your false prophet

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Colby's okay but he is getting annoying with trying to pronounce names. It was funny when he pronounced "Wilhelm" in German and it was incorrect. I'd prefer Kristin to win, but as long as weird-face guy doesn't win, it's all good.

edit: Also, I remember when this thread had no replies and was sitting on like Page 3. Happy to know that there are a bunch of other obsessive Jeopardy watchers besides me on here. Sometimes I DVR it and I have to skip this thread before I watch the episode so you guys don't spoil anything-- I accidentally had the 3 way tie spoiled for me by this thread.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I missed last night's episode, sounds like it was good.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Soothing Vapors posted:

I remember reading the list of ToC winners and saw one time there was a college tournament winner who went on to win, but other than that no distinction was made.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I think we can declare this thread a spoiler-tag free zone given that Jeopardy is syndicated. Don't read the thread if you haven't seen that night's episode.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I will never kneel before your false prophet

*crotchchops*

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

zakharov posted:

I think we can declare this thread a spoiler-tag free zone given that Jeopardy is syndicated. Don't read the thread if you haven't seen that night's episode.

Not necessarily. We're in different time zones and it seems to air 10-15 minutes behind for me when I follow the thread live even though I'm on the East Coast.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Yeah, for some people it starts at 7 and others at 7:30, even in the same time zone.

But I was just a dumbass that day and clicked on the thread before watching the episode, because I wasn't really giving a gently caress about the teen tournament. I wasn't insinuating we should have spoiler tags on this. No way. Most of the times I don't watch it live and do avoid the the thread, because I hate the commercials and the interviews with the guests, so I wait until it's over so I can just fast forward through all of that.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

jojoinnit posted:

Not necessarily. We're in different time zones and it seems to air 10-15 minutes behind for me when I follow the thread live even though I'm on the East Coast.

That...was my point. If you read the Jeopardy thread in the evening before seeing that day's episode, you should expect to be spoiled. Ergo we shouldn't bother with spoiler tags.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

zakharov posted:

That...was my point. If you read the Jeopardy thread in the evening before seeing that day's episode, you should expect to be spoiled. Ergo we shouldn't bother with spoiler tags.

Huh? I was saying that even reading the thread to follow the episode as it airs you can be spoilered. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to use the tags if it's a something huge and/or unexpected such as the FJ where everyone lost or when Leonard threw down that final answer. I couldn't figure out what I'd missed until I realised my station must be showing it a few minutes behind other major markets.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I don't know why you'd try and live-post a syndicated show but whatever floats your boat.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Bahahahaha, Alex's Mike Tyson impression. Oh my god.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

escape artist posted:

Yeah, for some people it starts at 7 and others at 7:30, even in the same time zone.

We get it at 2:30 in the afternoon in Chicago. :(

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
COOOOOOOLBYYYYYYY.

Dude rules. That is all.

Also, I loving love getting a tough FJ like this one. Really gratifying.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I hope Colby uses some of the cash to buy a better fitting suit.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I thought last night's episode was the championship final. What happens today? Do Colby, Kevin, and Kristen play again? I don't quite get it.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

I thought last night's episode was the championship final. What happens today? Do Colby, Kevin, and Kristen play again? I don't quite get it.

All tournament finals are two part episodes, winner goes to best combined two day score.

That's notable because when Leonard did his amazing "Normandy" answer on Final Jeopardy during the Teen Tournament, he was guaranteed to win that episode, but he could have actually been beat on two day total.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

jscolon2.0 posted:

All tournament finals are two part episodes, winner goes to best combined two day score.

That's notable because when Leonard did his amazing "Normandy" answer on Final Jeopardy during the Teen Tournament, he was guaranteed to win that episode, but he could have actually been beat on two day total.

He actually wasn't guaranteed to win. If the freshman all the way on the right had gotten the answer correct, he would have beaten Leonard by a few hundred points. Leonard was straight up ballsy to do what he did, banking on the freshman not knowing the answer.

funktopus posted:

COOOOOOOLBYYYYYYY.

Dude rules. That is all.

Also, I loving love getting a tough FJ like this one. Really gratifying.
I knew both of them immediately.

The curse of Tecumseh-- every president elected every 20 years dies in office (between 1840 and 1960). We know Lincoln died in 1865, so that didn't help. We know Harrison died because he gave his inaugural address in the freezing cold, so 1841 was easy, and 1881 was the only one left that fit the category.

I thought it was rather easy.

Also, bummed that my girl Kristin came in last place. I think she's kind of cute :3:

Another great moment in the episode was at the end of the Jeopardy round, when they read the final clue-- Colby had no idea, so he slammed his buzzer down in front of him as if to say, "gently caress this."

escape artist fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 27, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Per the J! Archive scores, for Part II of the final, if Nilai doubled up on Final Jeopardy and Leonard bets nothing, Leonard still wins that episode by about 8K. But Nilai is carrying a 16K lead from the prior episode, and would have won the overall final.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I would pay money to see a Leonard/Colby Jeopardy tag team. The best possible tournament winners.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

jscolon2.0 posted:

Per the J! Archive scores, for Part II of the final, if Nilai doubled up on Final Jeopardy and Leonard bets nothing, Leonard still wins that episode by about 8K. But Nilai is carrying a 16K lead from the prior episode, and would have won the overall final.

That's what I meant-- aggregate score. Remember Leonard's FJ answer said "I just won $75,000!!!"

If Nilai had gotten it correct, Leonard would not have won the $75k, which makes his answer so much more ballsy. :clint:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

escape artist posted:

That's what I meant-- aggregate score. Remember Leonard's FJ answer said "I just won $75,000!!!"

If Nilai had gotten it correct, Leonard would not have won the $75k, which makes his answer so much more ballsy. :clint:

I guess I could have been clearer that I meant he was guaranteed to win that episode. I was trying to explain how a two day playoff can be a difference maker versus a normal game based on carryover score.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Colby's expression when he walked over to Alex at the end was hilarious.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

escape artist posted:

We know Lincoln died in 1965, so that didn't help.

:crossarms:

Anyway, I knew the Presidents, but couldn't remember the years fast enough.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Colonial Air Force posted:

:crossarms:

Anyway, I knew the Presidents, but couldn't remember the years fast enough.

Okay, you know what I meant :lol: 1865

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Punch Card posted:

Although I can't spoil anything, one of that dude's next two opponents is my girlfriend. Thanks to the tournaments, that won't be until the last week of February though.

Sara Garnett?

I'm rooting for her!! She's got twice as much as noodle hair going into Final Jeopardy...

edit:
Yes! And she got the Final Jeopardy and won!!!

Whoo, $25,000+ payday

That was an awesome FJ question, too. I didn't know what it was until Alex gives his trademark clue after everyone answers, then it became so obvious. So glad Sara got it right!

Also, noodle hair is a dumbass because q.i.d. obviously means 4 times a day, and he lost so much money on that.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 28, 2013

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Haha, I came to check the thread after seeing noodle hair and remembering that post. Glad she won because that guy was irritating.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Yessss, Josh can finally wash his noodle hair.

And also the new champion seems pretty cool. Double plus good.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
A room of about 20 people constantly yelling about/at Joshua's hair is definitely my favorite Jeopardy! viewing experience so far.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Punch Card posted:

A room of about 20 people constantly yelling about/at Joshua's hair is definitely my favorite Jeopardy! viewing experience so far.

Congrats to Sara!! Hope she goes on and beats Ken Jennings winning streak ;)

Seriously, I'm happy. We've got a member of extended goon family as the Jeopardy champion!

This was the first time I've actually paused to listen to the interview segment, because I knew she is your significant other.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Soothing Vapors posted:

Teachers Goddamn Tournament

I hate Colby, too, but I'm a teacher. Thanks for having faith in the army of people who have literally CHOSEN to be underpaid for their education for the sake of our youth.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Oh lord, poor Tuyla seems to have giant boudins blancs for arms.

I'm more impressed at her confidence, going sleeveless like that. Wow.

Dean Venture in the middle there does medieval martial arts. It is a low bar, but it's sort of an interesting story.

funktopus fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Mediaval Martial Arts. I cannot imagine a worse thing to enjoy.

Literally just saying "medieval martial arts" is precisely equivalent to saying "dear earth, I have asperger's syndrome."