Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

Schwartzcough posted:

If you don't know, give everyone the "Maintenance" skill from the Chemist class. It prevents Meliadoul from being able to use her sword skills, which makes the battle much easier. Alternately, I think she only has the skills to break body/head armor, so theoretically you could send everyone in naked (maybe a bunch of Monks), but that'd be more challenging.

Oh I've played through a few times, this time I'm just trying to actually enjoy myself and not spend too much time so I can move on to the next game. But I wanted that Defender and accessory. I had a few people with maintenance, and I managed to steal the sword on my 2nd theft attempt and the accessory on my first using Steal as Ramza's 2nd ability. I just needed a little luck with Don't Act-ing the ninja and summoners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

fount of knowledge posted:

I can't be the only kid who went through that game not giving a poo poo about the level scaling, right? As long as you junction decent magics to your stats (Triple Triad may have had a hand in this, I admit, but I never transmuted something I didn't have extras of anyway) you'll blow through enemies even if they're buffed by being level-boosted.

Even playing it completely straight (No No-encounters/running from every battle, no exploiting limit breaks, no transmuting character cards into super-powerful magics, etc.) I would call 8 pretty easy.

Yeah, I never had problems with 8 and I was a super dumb kid when I first played it. gently caress, the first time I don't even think I ever really "got" the junction system or triple triad.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

I can't be the only kid who went through that game not giving a poo poo about the level scaling, right? As long as you junction decent magics to your stats (Triple Triad may have had a hand in this, I admit, but I never transmuted something I didn't have extras of anyway) you'll blow through enemies even if they're buffed by being level-boosted.

Even playing it completely straight (No No-encounters/running from every battle, no exploiting limit breaks, no transmuting character cards into super-powerful magics, etc.) I would call 8 pretty easy.

Nope, I did the same and it was super easy. The 2 main tips for enjoying FF8 are 1) get 100 of whatever magic you are junctioning. Draw it, refine it, whatever, just use 100. And 2) don't use summons for damage. 4 out of 5 of the people who hate FF8 didn't draw enough and spammed summons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

4 out of 5 of the people who hate FF8 didn't draw enough and spammed summons.

Or they find "Get 100 of (spell), beat everything for the rest of the game by mashing attack with your forehead" to be pretty dull.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

Or they find "Get 100 of (spell), beat everything for the rest of the game by mashing attack with your forehead" to be pretty dull.

That's really boring though, why would you do that instead of running around at yellow health spamming limit breaks with squall and zell?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Failboattootoot posted:

Nope, I did the same and it was super easy. The 2 main tips for enjoying FF8 are 1) get 100 of whatever magic you are junctioning. Draw it, refine it, whatever, just use 100. And 2) don't use summons for damage. 4 out of 5 of the people who hate FF8 didn't draw enough and spammed summons.

I would say it's 4 out of 5 people who hate FF8 played the game the correct way and still found it terrible.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The 1 in 5 people who liked FF8 thought Squall was a totally cool and deep character.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I liked Squall in everything other than FF8.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I like breaking FF8, because I get a kick out of being gleefully overpowered, and it even gets bonus points for making that easy to do. Instant gratification!

I'm not exactly the world's biggest fan of its plot, though.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

That loving Sned posted:

The 1 in 5 people who liked FF8 thought Squall was a totally cool and deep character.

"I don't want to be talked about in the past sense!"

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

The GIG posted:

Squall is totally kickass in Dissidia. He was the first one I got to level 100.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The GIG posted:

Squall was great in Kingdom Hearts where he was voiced by David Boreanaz being David Boreanaz because David Boreanaz is loving awesome.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Someone mixed up Cloud and Squall's scripts in Kingdom Hearts II.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Also Squall isn't voiced by David Boreanaz in KHII which sucks

Edit: they really hosed Cloud's personality up in most things post FFVII

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 26, 2013

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cloud was basically Vincent in Kingdom Hearts, and then they just rolled with it for every other thing he's appeared in since.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

gently caress fandoms, basically. But especially KH and FFVII

Speaking of Kingdom Hearts, they just announced KH HD 1.5 ReMIX for NA and PAL-lands, releasing in the Fall. More info in the megathread

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

I haven't played Crisis Core, but I heard Cloud's personality is closer to FF7 than the others. Is it true?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Pepper posted:

Cloud was basically Vincent in Kingdom Hearts, and then they just rolled with it for every other thing he's appeared in since.

To me the weirdest thing about Advent Children was the suggestion that Cloud was still getting over Aeris. I thought the scene in FF7's ending where he saw her reaching out to him and realized it was actually Tifa pulling him up from the cliff pretty well resolved that conflict. I guess even that was a little too elegant and subtle for the fandom, because "shipping" or w/e

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Booky posted:

I haven't played Crisis Core, but I heard Cloud's personality is closer to FF7 than the others. Is it true?

Yeah, he's a comatose vegetable for the entire last quarter of the game. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booky posted:

Yes and no. It's closer to how he acts in the 'correct' flashbacks in that he's good-natured and lacking somewhat in self-confidence. He's not Broody McEmo just kind of a regular schlub who gets along with Zack.

Also he smiles. Repeatedly! It's crazy.

It helps that Zack is a really good protagonist and Zack's Japanese actor does a really good job playing off Aerith and Cloud. (The reason he has good interaction with Aerith is pretty obvious: the voice actors were dating at the time and they eventually got married.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 27, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Yes and no. It's closer to how he acts in the 'correct' flashbacks in that he's good-natured and lacking somewhat in self-confidence. He's not Broody McEmo just kind of a regular schlub who gets along with Zack.

Also he smiles. Repeatedly! It's crazy.

This actually makes a lot of sense given that if FF7 has anything meaningful going on in it, it's Cloud gaining (or regaining) his self confidence and choosing not to be defined by his perceived failure to make the cut in SOLDIER, prevent the destruction of his hometown, or protect Aeris. He should totally be kind of a schlub before FF7. For me the dumbest stuff is the postgame stuff, where he... goes back to being broody and weird. Like they couldn't come up with a meaningful conflict for his character that didn't involve undoing his development in FF7.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

No sequel to FF7 should have even been made, really. Crisis Core gets a pass because it's a prequel and about a different character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

This actually makes a lot of sense given that if FF7 has anything meaningful going on in it, it's Cloud gaining (or regaining) his self confidence and choosing not to be defined by his perceived failure to make the cut in SOLDIER, prevent the destruction of his hometown, or protect Aeris. He should totally be kind of a schlub before FF7. For me the dumbest stuff is the postgame stuff, where he... goes back to being broody and weird. Like they couldn't come up with a meaningful conflict for his character that didn't involve undoing his development in FF7.

Yeah, I'm not complaining. It's basically the only time he's really felt in-character outside of FFVII itself. Crisis Core is the one game that actually felt like a FFVII spinoff as opposed to a random bullshit with Cloud in it spinoff, even despite its flaws.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Oh woah, neat!

Also, is Crisis Core a good game?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

I did this too the first time I played. I died fairly often (more often than in a normal FF game) but was still able to beat it without too much trouble.

The worst part about this tactic is that the max level is 100 (as opposed to the usual 99) so L5 Death kills you all the time =\

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Booky posted:

Oh woah, neat!

Also, is Crisis Core a good game?

It's a fun enough game. It has its flawed and the main villain is pretty stupid but as far as the FFVII spinoffs go it's easily the best. A lot of its flaws actually mirror FFVII's. (The materia system can easily break the game, there are an overabundance of weird minigames). It isn't a flawless masterpiece by any stretch of the word but it's a perfectly serviceable action game.

It also has the best ending Square-Enix has ever been able to pull off.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I enjoyed those "inner monologue chat boxes" that Squall had in FF8.

I mean, the things he was thinking were pretty redundant and brooding for the most part, but the actual idea and mechanic behind it, I found that to be pretty interesting. I'm honestly a little surprised that Square-Enix never bothered trying it again after FF8, since being able to hear the inner-thoughts of a pivotal character seems like an interesting way to add character development.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I enjoyed those "inner monologue chat boxes" that Squall had in FF8.

I mean, the things he was thinking were pretty redundant and brooding for the most part, but the actual idea and mechanic behind it, I found that to be pretty interesting. I'm honestly a little surprised that Square-Enix never bothered trying it again after FF8, since being able to hear the inner-thoughts of a pivotal character seems like an interesting way to add character development.

It's probably more that they didn't really need to do it with any other protagonist, since every other one usually states how they feel to their allies. Squall's entire deal was that he kept his emotions to himself, so the game really needed the internal dialogue just so Squall wouldn't come off like a complete antisocial jerkwad (and even then it's arguable whether they were really that effective in doing that).

In fact, I'm now curious to see what FF8 would be like without internal dialogue.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dross posted:

First, each character has 5 JP to spend individually.

Second, the best way to spend JP is to decide on a role for each character and basically stick to it. You will get enough JP by story's end to master 4 jobs per character, and a fifth if you do some exploring at the beginning of Chapter 4. If you don't want to look at a guide and base your JP expenditure decision on fusion abilities, then the best thing to do would be to choose whether each character is a bruiser or mage and level those job types on that character. For example a light side bruiser might be warrior/monk/thief/dragoon/paladin.

If you plan to do any lategame side farming for rare items, level Thief on at least five characters.

Thanks for this, I thought I had 5 JP to spend period. This helps quite a bit actually.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Mega64 posted:

In fact, I'm now curious to see what FF8 would be like without internal dialogue.

That one scene with his outburst in Galbedia Garden would be pretty interesting without all the internal dialogue leading up to it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vil posted:

I like breaking FF8, because I get a kick out of being gleefully overpowered, and it even gets bonus points for making that easy to do. Instant gratification!

Precisely. It's one of the reasons why I find FF12 IZJS to be somewhat harder to get into, even though IZJS has no damage cap.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Neku had some internal monologue in TWEWY, though not nearly as much as Squall.

Actually Neku in general is basically Squall's character arc done competently.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Endorph posted:

Actually Neku in general is basically Squall's character arc done competently.

Doesn't stop people bitching endlessly about playing as some "angsty emo anime kid".

For the record I agree entirely with your statement.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I wish I had the time and energy to play through 7 and 8 again. They were some of my favorite games as a teen and I still can't rank one above the other. I really liked how they were both modernish settings, with cities and cars as well as swords and magic.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Thanks for your help and recommendations, everyone.

I had completely forgotten to mention in my last post, but there's a small bookstore right by my train station, and I checked it out a few days ago and it had these:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/magazine/gamebooks/ff/ff25th_memorial_ult/
So I bought the 1st one covering 1-6 just to see. It's mostly art, screenshots, and some other stuff, as well as planning pages the like. I really, really, really like Amano so it was kind of a no-brainer. I'll probably pick up the other later today. I had no idea these came out a couple of months ago.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't find this anywhere so I thought I'd ask here: Do Entites respawn in ff12?

\/\/\/

Thanks and thank goodness.

bef fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 28, 2013

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

bef posted:

I can't find this anywhere so I thought I'd ask here: Do Entites respawn in ff12?

Yes.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

bef posted:

\/\/\/

Thanks and thank goodness.

Yeah they're like any other non-hunt/rare mob, zone away 2 screens and they can appear.

edit: beaten

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, the only thing that makes them trickier is the extreme weather requirement. They're still not as bad to hunt down for the bestiary as the humanoid races are, though. I forget which one of those I had a particularly hard time with - perhaps Seeq?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vil posted:

Yeah, the only thing that makes them trickier is the extreme weather requirement. They're still not as bad to hunt down for the bestiary as the humanoid races are, though. I forget which one of those I had a particularly hard time with - perhaps Seeq?

Seeq aren't as bad as the Garif, which have an extremely low spawn rate in one specific area of Ozmone Plain. They're goddamn impossible to find.