Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

pyrotek posted:

Based off of the wording on the website, I assume that Push won't be ready until after 9 is out, and they might not know how many will be ready for the first batch.

Look around, you might be better off buying/upgrading Live through Ableton and Push through an external shop with a coupon than buying both through Ableton.

yeah, I'm half joking though. My launchpad seems like the most outdated thing ever since word on Push was around. I'm upgrading 8 Suite to 9 Suite, so I think the easiest way is straight from Ableton. Guess I'll just be sitting up all night refreshing their site when march 5th comes around. Between this and waiting for my eurorack case I feel like I'm in limbo. Thankfully rent is not really an issue :v:

utamaru fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

It is really strange they aren't putting out both at once.

That being said, if anyone catches a good coupon, can you throw it in this thread? Pro Audio Star quoted Push to me at 550 with free shipping.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Been away from the thread for awhile, but I am back with a quick question if folks don't mind. So I'm thinking about taking the (very small) plunge and buying pro on Tom Cosm's site, then really getting into the audio production side of Ableton Live. I have only ever used the software for DJing, but after watching Tom's first hour long intro video I think I am sold that audio production is something I am capable of now.

My question: how important are sound cards these days? Ten years ago you had to buy a dedicated sound card if you even wanted sound at all, but today it seems like if you buy a decent motherboard that you can rip to 44.1 kHz and be good to go with whatever you just mixed. Can I get into creating tracks in Live and just buy a soundcard if something comes along that feels really worthy of a proper render? What else does a dedicated soundcard let me do these days that I couldn't otherwise achieve without one?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

pyrotek posted:

Based off of the wording on the website, I assume that Push won't be ready until after 9 is out, and they might not know how many will be ready for the first batch.

Look around, you might be better off buying/upgrading Live through Ableton and Push through an external shop with a coupon than buying both through Ableton.

That's what I did. Got it from Guitar Center. Use "HOUR48" for a discount.

dj bobby bieber fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 26, 2013

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Siets posted:

My question: how important are sound cards these days? Ten years ago you had to buy a dedicated sound card if you even wanted sound at all, but today it seems like if you buy a decent motherboard that you can rip to 44.1 kHz and be good to go with whatever you just mixed. Can I get into creating tracks in Live and just buy a soundcard if something comes along that feels really worthy of a proper render? What else does a dedicated soundcard let me do these days that I couldn't otherwise achieve without one?

If you are using recorded audio (from microphones, guitars, etc.), you definitely want a dedicated audio interface. Most interfaces also let you run a separate headphone mix, which is important for recorded audio, DJing/performance, etc.

If you are using a MIDI controller to play notes/beats in realtime, you *probably* want an interface to avoid latency (a delay of a few ms between playing the note and actually hearing it). You might be able to get around this with ASIO4ALL drivers, but no guarantees.

If you are adding good-quality monitor speakers to your setup, you would want a proper interface with balanced outputs to connect the monitors to.

If you are doing everything "in the box" (softsynths) and not working in realtime (i.e. you are drawing in everything by hand in note grids), you might be able to get by okay with an onboard sound card, especially if you're just getting started. If you're doing everything with plugins and rendering to wav, everything gets mixed/rendered internally and the sound card isn't a factor other than it gives you a way to listen to your work in progress.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For you guys that have been following Live for a while, how likely is it that (in the next year or so) there will be other deals close to the $337 one offered now? Assume I have no opportunity to use educational discounts, and no desire to get the Suite.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

For you guys that have been following Live for a while, how likely is it that (in the next year or so) there will be other deals close to the $337 one offered now? Assume I have no opportunity to use educational discounts, and no desire to get the Suite.
I think they usually at least have a sale around Christmas time, sometimes in the summer as well, but the discount % isn't always the same (I think it was 20% last winter). This current sale has been going on for ~4 months though so I'd be surprised if they did anything else before the holidays.

However, if Ableton doesn't respond for my request for better update pricing, I can give you an even better deal than $337 for Live 9 later this week :cool:.

Brock Velocity
Aug 5, 2012
Hey all, Ableton newcomer here. I started using Live about two months ago after having used Logic for ages, and holy crap, what the hell was I doing? I've been producing for ages but DJing is totally new to me; someone recommended Live for hybrid producers/DJs, and it became clear to me after about an hour that Live provides so much flexibility and opportunity in producing that Logic so clearly lacks.

A couple of things I was curious about. One, how do you DJs here like to set up your "cue points" (or clips, really, since Live doesn't support cue points). Do you just set a four bar loop in the beginning and a four bar loop in the end, or do you get more complex than that?

Also, have y'all checked out the downloads section of Ableton's blog? I was expecting some bullshit, but there seems to actually be some really fantastic, helpful stuff on there.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I preordered 9 a few weeks back and randomly checked my account today to find the beta sitting there.

So you guys should go give that a look.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I just randomly checked my account and had the 9 Beta sitting there. Haven't bought it though.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
Yeah, I've been using mine for a month or so now I think. It's pretty cool, and I like m4l alot, which I didn't have before.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I made a Rotating Clock Divider MIDI effect in Max4Live. An RCD is a type of sequencer that outputs note pulses at different subdivisions of a clock rate, and can be used to generate some pretty complex and interesting polyrhythms (think "floaty bloopy modular synth sequences"). I'd love it if anybody wants to give it a try and share anything interesting you come up with.

mp3 demo (driving a single instance of Synth 1)

download link (built w/Live 8 + M4L)

blog post where I talk about polyrhythms and M4L coding

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

h_double posted:

I made a Rotating Clock Divider MIDI effect in Max4Live. An RCD is a type of sequencer that outputs note pulses at different subdivisions of a clock rate, and can be used to generate some pretty complex and interesting polyrhythms (think "floaty bloopy modular synth sequences"). I'd love it if anybody wants to give it a try and share anything interesting you come up with.

mp3 demo (driving a single instance of Synth 1)

download link (built w/Live 8 + M4L)

blog post where I talk about polyrhythms and M4L coding

Downloaded! Will let you know. :)

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Live 9 officially preordered. Loving the BETA.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

Brock Velocity posted:

A couple of things I was curious about. One, how do you DJs here like to set up your "cue points" (or clips, really, since Live doesn't support cue points). Do you just set a four bar loop in the beginning and a four bar loop in the end, or do you get more complex than that?

In a live DJ situation sure, from live's clip view you have the buttons in the loop section, to set the loop's start marker and define the loop length, used when djing to loop away!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm selling my Live 9 standard license on SA-Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536566

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Found a useful blog about some advanced Push knowledge. Mapped out MIDI, etc.

http://julienbayle.net/ableton-push/

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Live 9 is now released. I was happy with the Beta so I bought it along with Push which should ship in 2-4 weeks.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Ableton please take my money.

Sincerely,

Impressed-With-Ableton-9-But-Where's-My-Dual-Monitors?!

Edit: Since it doesn't appear there's any discounts for Push, I'm going to wait a bit before purchasing it and see if I can't sell off my APC40 and Keyrig. It'll be a nice opportunity to downsize my studio!

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Poizen Jam posted:

Edit: Since it doesn't appear there's any discounts for Push, I'm going to wait a bit before purchasing it and see if I can't sell off my APC40 and Keyrig. It'll be a nice opportunity to downsize my studio!
I bet that there's a ton of used APC40s, launchapds and maybe even maschines for sale right now. Selling them might be easier after the initial Push hype dies down a little.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
It's available for purchase then, I take it.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Is there a lot of changes between Ableton 8 and 9? My friend got me an Ableton 8 POWER! book for the holidays, and I actually planned on going through it but is there enough changes in Ableton that makes the book outdated?.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Is there a lot of changes between Ableton 8 and 9? My friend got me an Ableton 8 POWER! book for the holidays, and I actually planned on going through it but is there enough changes in Ableton that makes the book outdated?.

Not at all, and the POWER! books are a great overview. The new UI looks a little bit different, but the basic workflow is the same. I'm sure there are a bunch of "what's new in Live 9" articles you can find to fill in the gaps on the new stuff.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I've been in the beta. From my experience, 9 is just 8 with added features and an extra layer of polish. The only thing you're likely to miss out on with the manual is the M4L stuff (which is not packaged with 9 standard) and some minor functionality and aesthetic changes. Most of these new features, such as the spectral read out of the EQ8, the glue compressor, and the additional modes for the normal compressor, are additions rather than a fundamental change in design theory. You'll pick up on these things quick, especially if you're familiar with production in general.

Question for all my fellow 9 users: I feel like an idiot for asking this, but where did the options in the clip envelope menu go to? All I see now are 'pitch bend' and a bunch of seemingly random CC midi controls- I can't seem to add clip envelopes for stuff like filters and formants anymore, yet they're preserved if I load songs that already have them? I've become acquainted with everything in Ableton 9 except this, and it's rather jarring.

Other minor gripe- it doesn't see all of my VSTs and crashes on some that Ableton 8 had no problems handling. Strange.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
Their website wasn't exactly running smoothly today but after a few tries I've got 9 and a Push on the way. what a day.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
CDM has a nice indepth test of Push (they'll have more info & some videos later on). The device seems to do pretty much what it promises to do.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Poizen Jam posted:

I've been in the beta. From my experience, 9 is just 8 with added features and an extra layer of polish. The only thing you're likely to miss out on with the manual is the M4L stuff (which is not packaged with 9 standard) and some minor functionality and aesthetic changes. Most of these new features, such as the spectral read out of the EQ8, the glue compressor, and the additional modes for the normal compressor, are additions rather than a fundamental change in design theory. You'll pick up on these things quick, especially if you're familiar with production in general.

Question for all my fellow 9 users: I feel like an idiot for asking this, but where did the options in the clip envelope menu go to? All I see now are 'pitch bend' and a bunch of seemingly random CC midi controls- I can't seem to add clip envelopes for stuff like filters and formants anymore, yet they're preserved if I load songs that already have them? I've become acquainted with everything in Ableton 9 except this, and it's rather jarring.

Other minor gripe- it doesn't see all of my VSTs and crashes on some that Ableton 8 had no problems handling. Strange.

If you're in 64 bit you probably won't see the 32 bit vsts.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

If you're in 64 bit you probably won't see the 32 bit vsts.

I use 32 bit for both. This is not the issue. The beta just plain doesn't 'see' some Vsts- however, if I create a new folder in my vst folder and move the vst in question TO that folder, it will pick it up on re-scan.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone gone through all 10 of Tom Cosm's "Intro to Audio Production" videos? I am thinking about taking the small plunge and getting Pro on his site, but I just wanted to know if those 10 videos will actually get you to a point where you can produce good sounding music. I think I've gone through about 3 different books on synthesis now and everything I make still sounds like Fruity Loops garbage, so I guess I'm just tired of waiting for it all to "click."

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The Cosm tutorials were what really got me over the hump of figuring out Live. He takes a pretty solid approach to doing what you want to do- actually make a song, as opposed to just clicking around the interface and making wobbles. A solid purchase.

That being said, I never really started to make 'good' sounding tracks until I got my hands on some properly recorded samples and understood how to assemble everything in a mix.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Siets posted:

Has anyone gone through all 10 of Tom Cosm's "Intro to Audio Production" videos? I am thinking about taking the small plunge and getting Pro on his site, but I just wanted to know if those 10 videos will actually get you to a point where you can produce good sounding music. I think I've gone through about 3 different books on synthesis now and everything I make still sounds like Fruity Loops garbage, so I guess I'm just tired of waiting for it all to "click."

Have you spent time learning subtractive EQ/general mixing and compression?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Also don't forget musicality. How to compose and lay down a good rhythm, knowing when to go offbeat rather than quantizing everything, understanding syncopation and swing. How to write a good melody or bassline, how to create and resolve tension with a melody. How intervals work, how intervals are built into scales and chords, how chords are built into chord progressions. Naturally you don't have to be a master of jazz tonality to make a booty house track, but every little tool in your toolbox is a potential source of ideas. Playing an instrument of some sort will give you all kinds of good perspective too.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lump Shaker posted:

Have you spent time learning subtractive EQ/general mixing and compression?

This is probably where I am weakest. I've read two books on synthesis theory at this point, and I've played around with a few free synths having some success getting it to sound pretty okay. Yoozer's sound design thread has been really helpful too, as I was pretty much able to follow along with the terminology and replicate what was going on in there.

Regarding EQ/mixing/compression/etc. I've really only touched on that drum and bass EQ tutorial that gets linked every so often. I went through the whole thing and understand it well enough, but I think it's Ableton's interface that I need to learn my way around better to monitor what's going on and when (if that makes any sense at all.) I feel like I know how I need to sculpt my sounds, but I just don't know when and where rules are being violated.

h_double, yeah, that's another area I am constantly reading up on. I played jazz saxophone for a few years, but never at an improv level or anything. I was getting there, but I eventually dropped it once things got busy in college and never really picked it back up. Would you happen to have any links/resources you might recommend for theory? Something that is easily digestible and preferably applicable to EDM in general would be incredibly useful for me right now.

magiccarpet, thanks for the vouch. Cosm's tutorials definitely look and feel legit, but I guess I was just looking for a few extra opinions out there before I spent the money. Thanks!

edit: Holy moly, this almost feels like cheating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvTngLxmaH0 I know this is the "wrong" way to use music theory (because I'm not really learning it by using this technique), but wow, talk about turning the difficulty down to easy mode...

Siets fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 6, 2013

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Siets posted:

h_double, yeah, that's another area I am constantly reading up on. I played jazz saxophone for a few years, but never at an improv level or anything. I was getting there, but I eventually dropped it once things got busy in college and never really picked it back up. Would you happen to have any links/resources you might recommend for theory? Something that is easily digestible and preferably applicable to EDM in general would be incredibly useful for me right now.

Musictheory.net has a lot of good resources, interactive lessons and exercises. Thetamusic.com is really good too -- it's a pay site but you can try out the first few levels of the different exercises for free.

Rick Snoman's "Dance Music Manual" is a book that has a lot of good EDM-specific info, the first few chapters are an overview of synthesis and the production workflow and then there are individual sections for different electronic genres (house, techno, trance, garage, hip-hop, etc.) with some great specific info -- what specific drum sounds and rhythms are most common, the particulars of how things are mixed and EQ'd in different types of music, etc.

Also in terms of EQ / compression / studio stuff, I want to put in a good word for this Intro To Music Production course from Berklee I just signed up for, it's a free college-level online course that runs for six weeks and just started last Friday, so it's still a great time to jump in. It's not EDM-specific (it also covers things like microphones and recording acoustic sources), but it's focused on a DAW workflow, and so far the materials and presentation are pretty fantastic.

Siets posted:

edit: Holy moly, this almost feels like cheating.

That's a lot of extra work when you could just use the Scale and Chord MIDI effects in Live and do the same thing with one note ;-)

But seriously, sometimes "cheating" is the best way to get sounds or effects that would be really difficult to do otherwise, like step-sequenced basslines or arpeggiators or the way MIDI chord effects are responsible for the cheesy-but-awesome sound behind a lot of 90's house. That said, I'm not a big fan of anything that artificially constrains you to a particular scale, because good music almost always knows when to color outside the lines, at least a little bit (same thing with quantization).

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I'm new to Live with 9 and I have a pretty newbie question...

I have a MIDI clip sequencing a hardware synth. What's the quickest way to turn that into an audio clip?

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

I'm new to Live with 9 and I have a pretty newbie question...

I have a MIDI clip sequencing a hardware synth. What's the quickest way to turn that into an audio clip?

Duplicate the track (click on the title of the track and Command - D on Macs or just go to the edit menu. Then right-click on the duplicate track, freeze track, then when it's frozen right click on the track again and flatten track. There are other ways to do it but that's the quickest probably.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Muck and Mire posted:

Duplicate the track (click on the title of the track and Command - D on Macs or just go to the edit menu. Then right-click on the duplicate track, freeze track, then when it's frozen right click on the track again and flatten track. There are other ways to do it but that's the quickest probably.

"The track has no audio output to freeze".

I can get the audio to an input on my interface... but the duplicated track I just made is a MIDI track, how do I get the freeze to pick up from my audio input?

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Oh word. I misunderstood. So create a new audio track.

You want Ext In under "audio from" and if you don't see that option, click the little I-O button on the side. Then select the specific input from your interface. Then you can just record that as regular audio clips.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

h_double posted:

Rick Snoman's "Dance Music Manual" is a book that has a lot of good EDM-specific info, the first few chapters are an overview of synthesis and the production workflow and then there are individual sections for different electronic genres (house, techno, trance, garage, hip-hop, etc.) with some great specific info -- what specific drum sounds and rhythms are most common, the particulars of how things are mixed and EQ'd in different types of music, etc.

Nthing this. Nthing this so hard. I've read this book at least 3 times now, as well as Bob Katz guide to mastering audio.

Just want to reiterate a question I had earlier though: How does one edit clip envelopes for inserted devices in Ableton live 9? The envelope editor seemingly only has pitch bend and midi commands for me now. I know the functionality still exists, though, because I can load old files with clip envelopes and they work fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Poizen Jam posted:

Just want to reiterate a question I had earlier though: How does one edit clip envelopes for inserted devices in Ableton live 9? The envelope editor seemingly only has pitch bend and midi commands for me now. I know the functionality still exists, though, because I can load old files with clip envelopes and they work fine!

By inserted devices do you mean VSTis and Live instruments? If so, just click the E in the Clip editor and then click the control you want to automate. The selected control will automatically show up in the command dropdown. Edit (now with curves!) and enjoy.

If I totally misunderstand what you are asking, sorry.