Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
If you can afford a 15k DN01 you can probably also afford the 20k new Goldwing which is better in every way if you ask me. gently caress I love that new Goldwing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

This helmet came up in my youtube related videos.
http://youtu.be/wvkvSIfLVGM

My first thought was adding a few bits and riding around like this
http://imgur.com/oqLcBnG

Unfortunately the muzzle offers no protection so it's worthless.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I would love to see a DN01 made into a proper bike instead of a glorified scooter. For some reason both the general design and that color appeals to me. :iiam:

Wootcannon posted:

My mate's dildo looks *exactly* like that.
:ms:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

You guys have never seen the Honda Morphous then..

It's equally as dildoish, in a true scooter package.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

MotoMind, this is exactly what you must wear and ride to the inevitable 90s party

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

Jerri Seinfold

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I took the goofy noisy Vance & Hines pipes off of my Ninja 500, bought an OEM set, the centrestand (which the PO had to remove to install the V&H), and the various little bolts and springs to secure them. I was pleased at first, since a quick-sale price for the V&H more or less comes out to what restoring OEM cost me.

Then I realised: whoever buys this aftermarket from me is presumably getting them to replace his OEM cans, so I should've just saved a step and proposed a trade. :negative:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Or they're buying them to replace the set they trashed in a tipover.

Also if you guys like the DN-01, great, cuz Honda has the CTX700s coming out that are heavily DN-01 influenced, with a possibly even less exciting drivetrain

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 27, 2013

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

hayden. posted:

That'd be cool. I'm really pretty slow going because I don't like the idea of $300 speeding tickets or getting my bike impounded. Also slow in corners because I'm a wimp and all I can think about when going through corners is the thousands of dollars in damage that would come from a simple low side. I'm planning on going up to Mt. St. Helens (Windy Ridge Observatory) in late July if that sounds like fun to you.

Sure, sounds good. I can't wait for this summer. I've been wanting another supermoto for SO LONG and I finally have one. Gonna brap-brap all summer. I live in Hillsboro and take short rips up Germantown and Skyline, if you are interested shoot me a PM and we can exchange numbers.

nsaP posted:

A bit off topic but weren't you the guy who knew FZ6 sword man? Ever chat with him?

I am, and I haven't seen the guy since I posted about it. The guy HAS to know he is internet famous now, being as my girlfriend showed me the same picture off of reddit not to long after I saw it here. It's still in my brain, if I see him I am going to ask him about it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

hayden. posted:

My problem is more the roads than a lack of confidence. They're narrow two lane mountain roads with no shoulder, gravel, water, potholes, and moss everywhere, steep falls on both sides, and idiots who cross the double yellow constantly on blind turns.

After riding round on the R1 for a week solid it's really made me appreciate the KTM for day to day riding. The R1 is fantastic and smooth and rocket-powered, but for twisty, slippery, pot holed, narrow, blind cornered roads (aka every road where I live) it's misery. You can really throw a sumo round these kinds of roads, they're super forgiving. I think the R1 is going to come into its own for trips to France and stuff though.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:unsmigghh:

At last!

Now, to get some flush turn signals...

M42 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 27, 2013

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Congrats, I hadn't seen the ninja in that blue, looking sharp!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Looking good!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That gear is way too fast for that bike. Tell that gear to slow down.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That gear is way too fast for that bike. Tell that gear to slow down.
I'm running into this problem, too. :smith:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

M42 posted:

Now, to get some flush turn signals...

For your very first mod I would recommend frame sliders. Flush mount turn signals often do a wonderful job of not being able to actually be seen by anybody in front/behind you.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I thought that too, but it turns out there's no good mounting point on a 250. I think you have to drill through the fairing to get to the only acceptable place.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Somewhat relevant: my first two upgrades on my 08+ 250 were adjustable levers for my tiny hands and frame sliders. The sliders were a pain in the butt to install and made doing work on the motor just a tad more difficult, but they are totally worth it. I dropped the bike in the garage the day I installed the sliders and they worked flawlessly!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SaNChEzZ posted:

It's a Yamaha and they are rad :colbert:

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
It's like a Lambo collector had a divorce and got spiteful about the estate. e: Wait. Is that aftermarket hydraulics, or does it have that as standard? *buys one, performs ultimate drafting under a trailer*

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 27, 2013

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

All. My. Friends. Ride a low-rider.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Wootcannon posted:

It's like a Lambo collector had a divorce and got spiteful about the estate. e: Wait. Is that aftermarket hydraulics, or does it have that as standard? *buys one, performs ultimate drafting under a trailer*

Definitely aftermarket. It was called the Maxam in Japan and there are hosts of loving insane customs over there. Japan loves crazy lowered stretched painted maxi-scooters.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

I love the looks of the Ninja 250 so much. I wish there was one that looked identical and make 100hp.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Yamaha makes one too? I thought the morphous was the only dildo scooter.

Just realized its a Yamaha, not Honda. My friend lied to me!

I agree they're rad, just odd.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hayden. posted:

I love the looks of the Ninja 250 so much. I wish there was one that looked identical and make 100hp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_GPZ1000RX not that great.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yamaha makes one too? I thought the morphous was the only dildo scooter.

Just realized its a Yamaha, not Honda. My friend lied to me!

I agree they're rad, just odd.

The Morphous is a Yamaha. You might be thinking of the similarly-shaped Honda Helix:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Or they're buying them to replace the set they trashed in a tipover.

Also if you guys like the DN-01, great, cuz Honda has the CTX700s coming out that are heavily DN-01 influenced, with a possibly even less exciting drivetrain

Hmm I've got to say that naked CTX700 looks pretty sharp

Talking about bikes that don't have the performance to back up their looks, I just found about about the Yamaha BT-1100

Looks like a sweet Japanse tuber Buell, only its 1100cc engine makes all of 65HP.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

High Protein posted:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2013/02/honda-reveals-new-affordable-ctx700-motorcycles-with-auto-transmission-abs.html

quote:

These new 670-cc models split conventional classifications to offer an automatic transmission and antilock brakes in an affordable bike that is well-suited to newer riders

:what:

Auto tranny in cars, fine, but on 2 wheels? If you go from 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle, I'm sure it'll drop a gear and go, but will it rev match or will it buck you off? In the middle of a corner??

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

epalm posted:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2013/02/honda-reveals-new-affordable-ctx700-motorcycles-with-auto-transmission-abs.html

Auto tranny in cars, fine, but on 2 wheels? If you go from 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle, I'm sure it'll drop a gear and go, but will it rev match or will it buck you off? In the middle of a corner??

The auto tranny's available on the NC700 as well and it's supposedly fine, you can also manually shift using buttons. I don't really get the point though, the sequential transmission makes shifting on a motorcycle already much better than in a car. Well, my old bike's PO was an older dude that had upgraded to an auto transmission Aprilia because it just got harder for him to shift, so I guess there's that, and when you're in traffic clutching in/out all the time can get annoying (though I've never ridden a bike with a hydraulic clutch).

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

epalm posted:

It's a DCT, not a traditional "automatic" gearbox. It does a pretty good job of auto rev-matching on downshifts.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

The auto tranny's available on the NC700 as well and it's supposedly fine, you can also manually shift using buttons. I don't really get the point though, the sequential transmission makes shifting on a motorcycle already much better than in a car. Well, my old bike's PO was an older dude that had upgraded to an auto transmission Aprilia because it just got harder for him to shift, so I guess there's that, and when you're in traffic clutching in/out all the time can get annoying (though I've never ridden a bike with a hydraulic clutch).

The Aprilia is an interesting best (or maybe worst) of both worlds setup - it's actually a scooter-style CVT borrowed from Piaggo stable-mates Gilera but with electronic control that basically emulates a 7-speed manual gearbox if you put it in "manual" mode. You can also set the aggressiveness of the pickup in "auto" (CVT) mode. Not quite sure if that's brilliant or pants-on-head dumb but it's certainly interesting.

(CVTs are a fantastic idea with massive advantages over traditional gearboxes and their lack of acceptance outside of scooters is final proof of just how stupid both bikers and car-drivers are. And no, I wouldn't ride or drive anything with one.)

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

High Protein posted:

Talking about bikes that don't have the performance to back up their looks, I just found about about the Yamaha BT-1100

Looks like a sweet Japanse tuber Buell, only its 1100cc engine makes all of 65HP.

Putting aside whether or not the CTX700 can pull a greasy string out of a cat's rear end, it has forward foot controls. It's not a standard / UJM. I'm all for breaking up the V-twin cruiser hegemony and I think Honda's made a lot of dumb steps back with their 'Fury' line but I have a real hard time figuring out what American buyer would go for this.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Had sunny 70 degree weather again in NorCal and it was glorious. Bike was smooth and didn't want to surge constantly. It's amazing how much weather can affect a bike's performance. These 45-50 degree commutes are hell on performance. :(

Ended up donging it up on a residential side street next to an elementary school that was being let out by my campus. Girl with a handicap-plated Subaru in front of me was going 10 under the speed limit so I quickly zipped by her (safely) in first. The look of sheer terror from children and parents' ugly mugs alike as 1200cc's of unbaffled fury rattled throughout their ivory tower solitude was enough to bring a smile to my face for the rest of my day. :madmax:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I am going to tell you, CA, about my friend with a broken brain.

He rides an RC51, is not what I would call a squid, wears nice gear, been riding for ages. He is an extremely talented rider; if he had rich parents or just more opportunity he would probably be, at least, a national-level champion. At track days he routinely laps at the same sort of pace as the low-level race teams testing at the same time, despite being on a road bike with road tyres. His form and bravery are breathtaking and he seems to be a natural at riding basically any bike.

However.

Despite going to track days every once in a while he rides, predominantly, on the road. And he is incapable of riding slowly. He has never had a crash or accident or been pulled over. Consequently this has convinced him that his skill is what keeps him safe and that he has more than enough margin of error in case something happens because he feels fully in control. Essentially, crashes are something that happen to other people and his ability is great enough that he can go faster (without endangering himself) than other people can.

If he did this on random country roads or what have you that would be fine, I'll never criticize dong-riding in the middle of nowhere, however he does this EVERYWHERE. I have seen him navigate an 80km/h road, with a few cars on it, at around 240km/h. He said he never felt remotely in danger. This is totally normal for him; I flat-out refuse to ride with him because he makes me so tense and nervous. I always think that if I'm in front he'll hit me because he has a habit of following from a few feet away, or that I'll have to watch him crash if he's in front of me.

How do I stop him doing this? I know that, statistically, he WILL crash if he continues this way, and when he does it'll be fatal or close to it because of the speeds involved. I can't convince him that he's living at the tip of the crash bell-curve and that his perception that he's too good to crash is false, that he's just had an extremely unlikely string of luck compounded by skill. I have to convince him that eventually something out of his control will happen (like a flat tyre, car pulling out, hole in the road, whatever) that would kill him when it would be just an expensive embarassment at a more normal pace.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 28, 2013

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Um, I suppose getting all of his mates to have a word with him at once wouldn't work? Intervention sort of thing.

I suppose, if you were really serious about getting him to slow down (and it's not really something I'd do to a friend, or someone I didn't like for that matter), you could have a chat to the local police and have them keep an eye out for him for a bit. Maybe a few tickets and such may get him to slow down.

He probably wouldn't be a friend for much longer after that though :/

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Shimrod posted:

I suppose, if you were really serious about getting him to slow down (and it's not really something I'd do to a friend, or someone I didn't like for that matter), you could have a chat to the local police and have them keep an eye out for him for a bit. Maybe a few tickets and such may get him to slow down.

This, he kinda sounds like he's in one of those mindsets that he won't snap out of unless he wrecks or gets a huge ticket, and I'd say the latter is preferred.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I am going to tell you, CA, about my friend with a broken brain.

He rides an RC51, is not what I would call a squid, wears nice gear, been riding for ages. He is an extremely talented rider; if he had rich parents or just more opportunity he would probably be, at least, a national-level champion. At track days he routinely laps at the same sort of pace as the low-level race teams testing at the same time, despite being on a road bike with road tyres. His form and bravery are breathtaking and he seems to be a natural at riding basically any bike.

However.

Despite going to track days every once in a while he rides, predominantly, on the road. And he is incapable of riding slowly. He has never had a crash or accident or been pulled over. Consequently this has convinced him that his skill is what keeps him safe and that he has more than enough margin of error in case something happens because he feels fully in control. Essentially, crashes are something that happen to other people and his ability is great enough that he can go faster (without endangering himself) than other people can.

If he did this on random country roads or what have you that would be fine, I'll never criticize dong-riding in the middle of nowhere, however he does this EVERYWHERE. I have seen him navigate an 80km/h road, with a few cars on it, at around 240km/h. He said he never felt remotely in danger. This is totally normal for him; I flat-out refuse to ride with him because he makes me so tense and nervous. I always think that if I'm in front he'll hit me because he has a habit of following from a few feet away, or that I'll have to watch him crash if he's in front of me.

How do I stop him doing this? I know that, statistically, he WILL crash if he continues this way, and when he does it'll be fatal or close to it because of the speeds involved. I can't convince him that he's living at the tip of the crash bell-curve and that his perception that he's too good to crash is false, that he's just had an extremely unlikely string of luck compounded by skill. I have to convince him that eventually something out of his control will happen (like a flat tyre, car pulling out, hole in the road, whatever) that would kill him when it would be just an expensive embarassment at a more normal pace.

You work on landing him sponsors and funding for a real ride.

Other than that, you don't. Certain people are simply not risk averse. A large number of those people ride bikes, because, quite frankly, riding a motorcycle on the street is pretty loving stupid on the surface level. He's got a proper racer mentality. Crashes *are* something that happens to someone else. Why, because, poo poo, if you start thinking about what might happen if you dump it, you fall off your game. Is this a semi-retarded approach for the street? Yep. But guess what, you're not his mom or his wife, so frankly there's not much that saying "bro, back it off a few notches" is going to achieve. Don't try and match his pace, and sadly either Darwin or the cops will eventually catch him out.

How old is he? I know as I've gotten older, my throttle hand and foot have both gotten a little tighter, and my pucker factor has increased in spots.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

At track days he routinely laps at the same sort of pace as the low-level race teams testing at the same time, despite being on a road bike with road tyres.

Sorry, I dont buy this without video to back it up.

Your friend is an idiot and will eventually be involved in a serious accident or killed. There is nothing you can do about it. See Scott LeVelle's story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
On a related note though, I need an RC51.