Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I know. It's just really hard to tell with them sometimes. Next time will be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!
I'm feeling like a really bad dog owner. Hank has cruciate ligament damage. It could be partially my fault because it happens most often in middle age, overweight dogs that were neutered early. Well, Hank is all of the above. He's been losing weight before this happened and now he's on a serious diet. Nothing I can do about getting him fixed as soon as I could or being middle aged.

All he wants to do is play and he can't. He has to stay inside and only leash walks for potty time. The only thing I can do is give him Benadryl to calm him down. Did I mention how lovely I feel about doing that? I want to walk/play with him.

Oh yeah, add me to the list of not cleaning out the litter box enough.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.

Serella posted:

Yeah, there's nothing to be ashamed of here. I don't know how anyone keeps pets that are actively aggressive toward them.

On the topic of cats, my fiance's aunt has a vicious cat. I walked in their front door and the cat literally cornered me, growling at me. I've had cats my entire life and I've never seen one behave like that. Why in the world would they keep it in their house?

Back on topic, I gave up trying to fix my parent's attitudes towards their cats. My mother always got defensive when I suggested she shouldn't let her 3-legged cat outside, so I just stopped trying to argue it. At least he doesn't pee in the house anymore. There wasn't anything wrong with him (took him to the vet twice), he was just being an rear end in a top hat because he wanted to pee outdoors not in the litter box.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Serella posted:

I don't know how anyone keeps pets that are actively aggressive toward them.

Reptile thread and rodent thread role call. I mean, not ALL of them are assholes but boy oh boy are there plenty of bite incidents.

If you scream "NO" across the house Amy runs to you as fast as she can since that's mostly what she heard when she was a puppy. We also refer to the dogs as 'baby' and 'the bitches' respectively.

Oh, and I take extreme pleasure rubbing vitamin e oil on balen's dry nose because he hates it so much. Then the bitches all want their noses rubbed with it because one dog had it and it has to be the best thing. They forget every single time and their reaction faces make me so happy when they remember.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I let my cat play with and eat spiders he finds in the house and reward him with treats for doing so. :shobon:

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
My 10 month old kittens are awesome. I'm so glad I got two. But sometimes I still feel like a bad owner.
Yesterday I went to visit a friend who lives an hour away. My cats are used to having some dry food to free feed on and I made sure to fill their bowls before I left. I was gone all day and since I left in the morning I didn't think to leave a light on for them and the apartment was pitch dark when I got home. Also their food bowls were empty (they still had water) When I filled their bowls they didn't eat any so obviously they weren't starving but I still felt bad. I was so tired I pretty much went straight to bed without playing with them.
They have each other and I'm sure in reality they played and slept and ate and slept and didn't miss me much at all, but I still feel terrible for leaving them all day with no lights for when it got dark and no humans to keep them company. :ohdear:

lionskull
Jul 12, 2006

My older dog has a hematoma on his ear and I think it's my fault. I am always messing with and flipping with his ears because they are so soft and I think I was too rough. I did it to my other dogs and had no idea something like this could happen.

Now I have to drop him off at the vet after depriving him of food and water (and he drinks a lot of water which worries me too) for a few hours tomorrow morning to be sedated and have a drain put in. He will have wear a muzzle on the vet because he's fearful because his previous owners were terrible. Finally, we will have to try to keep him in a cone which he freaks about and squeeze gross stuff out the drain 2x/day for 4-6 weeks.

You are the best boy Shadow, I am so sorry about this. Please still follow me around the house all day after this.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I just kicked Lola down half of my stairs because I was carrying washing and couldn't see past it.

I felt bad for about a second, then hopeful that maybe this will stop her from walking / stopping in front of me on the stairs. (It probably won't though.)

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

lionskull posted:

My older dog has a hematoma on his ear and I think it's my fault. I am always messing with and flipping with his ears because they are so soft and I think I was too rough. I did it to my other dogs and had no idea something like this could happen.

I doubt it was your fault! He probably scratched it too hard or something. They're normally caused by the dog scratching at an ear infection or a wound from playing. It's just bad luck really. He'll be fine. :shobon:

Fraction posted:

I just kicked Lola down half of my stairs because I was carrying washing and couldn't see past it.

I felt bad for about a second, then hopeful that maybe this will stop her from walking / stopping in front of me on the stairs. (It probably won't though.)

Gary is always getting under my parents' feet because they step around him. I have to keep reminding them not to, because if he gets stepped on he'll stop doing it. (He never does it to me!)

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."

Fraction posted:

I stepped out of my bedroom at about 2am the other morning, and the bedroom-obsessed tortie cat came rampaging up the stairs to try and get in there before I shut the door. I spun to stop her, put my leg out, and accidentally punted her down the full length of the stairs into (I hope) a box of laundry.
I have to admit, it felt very slightly satisfying to my sleepy 2am brain before the sensation of kicking a tiny rescue cat with an abused past hit me. Sorry Lucina. :( I love you really.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

We have 7 cats: 2 of them are sick sith heart and kidney failure, and 2 nights ago took in a foster cat who needs attention and time to bring himself out of his shell.

And this afternoon I've left my girlfriend with the menagerie and gone to visit my parents till Saturday/Sunday. I feel mean leaving her to deal with them but ahh well :-(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The rescue persuaded my mom to try and help out this foster kitten Bubbles, a one-eyed superrunt of a cat. She's seven months old and looks like she's a starved three. Vet checks out fine, she's just tiny.

I call her The Little Rat. She won't let us pick her up, but sometimes we can pet her, and clean her nose off or face off, since she's a messy eater. And gently caress does she love to play.

I seriously want to get her nametag to read Bubbles the Little Rat.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cowslips Warren posted:

The rescue persuaded my mom to try and help out this foster kitten Bubbles, a one-eyed superrunt of a cat. She's seven months old and looks like she's a starved three. Vet checks out fine, she's just tiny.

I call her The Little Rat. She won't let us pick her up, but sometimes we can pet her, and clean her nose off or face off, since she's a messy eater. And gently caress does she love to play.

I seriously want to get her nametag to read Bubbles the Little Rat.

Sometimes small cats have a thing with being picked up... I still do it to mine just to spite her and also because she is so squishy. also because I have to clean her because she sleeps in her own poo sometimes :downs: Not even the litter box, just freaks out poos in her favorite tower, then sleeps on it because MY TOWER MINE.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
From the gif thread. I do this every single day and don't even feel bad about it.

No yawning allowed in this house!

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

From the gif thread. I do this every single day and don't even feel bad about it.

No yawning allowed in this house!

I don't do this if my cats yawn, but if they nip me (mostly Ash because he is a Bitey McBiter face and likes to walk up to things like toes and computers and phones and bit them) I will poke my finger in their mouths to make a point.

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012
I have a couple.

First off, the majority of our dogs over the years have been adopted, but three of our dogs have either been bought from a pet store or gotten as a puppy from people we know. There are no regrets getting any of them, but still I would have preferred to get adopt.

Second, we got a Maremma, I think I was about 10 when we got her, and we lived in town. Thankfully though, it wasn't as bad as our backyard was massive, large enough to hold several full grown horses, some goats and some sheep with plenty of room left over. Very thankfully, we moved out to a massive farm not too long after, where she had plenty of room to run about and bark to her heart's content. Funnily enough though, she was petrified of sheep and goats.

Third, I pay way more attention to our pup's brother because he is an inside dog, he lives with my aunts, and doesn't come into the house smelling like various stages of decomposing animals and eggs. And I sometimes feel like I treat our pup better than our other dog, another Maremma that we adopted from a rescue after our first one passed, because sometimes I get a little too caught up on how cute little puppies.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I send my dog to bark and chase the cat when he's clawing the carpet. He's not allowed otherwise.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
When I do the weekly kitchen mopping instead of sweeping I open the gate and let Bridget hoover up all the crumbs and stray cat kibble. She cleans the floor better than a broom does and it makes her crazy happy.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I know I can not foster the female pit bull that is first on tomorrow's kill list at animal control (she was pulled from the adoption floor after being deemed "aggressive" for allegedly "going after" an employee who chased her around and trapped her in a corner after she escaped her kennel and wouldn't come to him. She didn't actually bite anyone, no one has specified what "going after" the employee actually means, and volunteers who have seen her have said she is just very timid and fearful, probably because she is at animal control!!)

I know I can't foster her because I work all day and barely have time to do all the poo poo I need to do with my own dogs AND YET, I still spent several hours discussing at length with my partner ways I could possibly foster her and attempting to rationalize it. One of my old pit bulls was very fearful so you see I already have experience with Fearful Pit Bulls, and omg she looks like A Nice Dog and We Have To Do Something waaaaa:qq:

I do this like all the time, because I am I guess retarded. I could just unlike/block all of the local rescue groups on my facebook and save myself a bunch of drama, but NOPE

(this is her btw she looks super aggressive)
http://youtu.be/aqPyP0DhHWY

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I hope the person in the youtube comments is serious about adopting her. She looks adorable. :)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Writer Cath posted:

I hope the person in the youtube comments is serious about adopting her. She looks adorable. :)

I don't. If they're wanting to adopt a pit bull "for their mom" but it ~has~ to be good with other dogs (ughughughughUGH) and be able to deal with potentially boisterous teenagers, they don't need one with fear issues who MIGHT be snappy when pushed too hard. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Checked on the crested gecko eggs. Mold all over one of them, it's sunken in, slimy. All the signs of it being dead. I cut it open and I found all sorts of neat things in it. I know I ought to feel sad, and honestly I am a little sad. But mostly I was just excited to see all the weird little things in the egg.

I have dead egg guilt.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Superconsndar posted:

I know I can not foster the female pit bull that is first on tomorrow's kill list at animal control (she was pulled from the adoption floor after being deemed "aggressive" for allegedly "going after" an employee who chased her around and trapped her in a corner after she escaped her kennel and wouldn't come to him. She didn't actually bite anyone, no one has specified what "going after" the employee actually means, and volunteers who have seen her have said she is just very timid and fearful, probably because she is at animal control!!)

I know I can't foster her because I work all day and barely have time to do all the poo poo I need to do with my own dogs AND YET, I still spent several hours discussing at length with my partner ways I could possibly foster her and attempting to rationalize it. One of my old pit bulls was very fearful so you see I already have experience with Fearful Pit Bulls, and omg she looks like A Nice Dog and We Have To Do Something waaaaa:qq:

I do this like all the time, because I am I guess retarded. I could just unlike/block all of the local rescue groups on my facebook and save myself a bunch of drama, but NOPE

(this is her btw she looks super aggressive)
http://youtu.be/aqPyP0DhHWY

I actually teared up watching that video of her...she looks so sweet, and has such big gentle eyes. Poor girl just looks nervous because of the setting she is in..with good reason. :(

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Greycious posted:

I actually teared up watching that video of her...she looks so sweet, and has such big gentle eyes. Poor girl just looks nervous because of the setting she is in..with good reason. :(

Dear confession thread:

I just went (with a couple of local rescue lady who agreed to sponsor her and cover her adoption fee) and pulled her on my lunch hour. I don't have a lot of time to give her, but she is a GREAT little dog and a few weeks not getting quite enough attention is better than being euthed after being given no chance to be adopted. She's chillin in a crate at home and said rescue ladies are gonna help me find her an understanding home. She is a bit head-shy and doesn't like to be loomed over by strangers, but I saw absolutely nothing that indicated aggression, just lots of scared defensive postures. If you touch her head too quickly she reflexively lifts her lip and jerks her head around, but makes no attempt to actually nip or bite. She's either been poorly handled or unsocialized or both, but I see nothing that indicates actual HA behavior. She'll be fine in a home that understands that she's fearful and is willing to work with her.

They made me sign a waiver to adopt her and acted like I was jumping into a pit of lava when I went to get her out of her kennel. They refused to handle her at all. :rolleyes:

She's a great little girl and I'm not sorry, she has no business being put down for aggression because she had the nerve to be scared after her owner of 5 years dumped her in a strange place with scary people who acted dumb towards her. She seems like she is a good dog.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Good. I'm glad you got her. Poor girl. :(

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

Dear confession thread:

I just went (with a couple of local rescue lady who agreed to sponsor her and cover her adoption fee) and pulled her on my lunch hour. I don't have a lot of time to give her, but she is a GREAT little dog and a few weeks not getting quite enough attention is better than being euthed after being given no chance to be adopted. She's chillin in a crate at home and said rescue ladies are gonna help me find her an understanding home. She is a bit head-shy and doesn't like to be loomed over by strangers, but I saw absolutely nothing that indicated aggression, just lots of scared defensive postures. If you touch her head too quickly she reflexively lifts her lip and jerks her head around, but makes no attempt to actually nip or bite. She's either been poorly handled or unsocialized or both, but I see nothing that indicates actual HA behavior. She'll be fine in a home that understands that she's fearful and is willing to work with her.

They made me sign a waiver to adopt her and acted like I was jumping into a pit of lava when I went to get her out of her kennel. They refused to handle her at all. :rolleyes:

She's a great little girl and I'm not sorry, she has no business being put down for aggression because she had the nerve to be scared after her owner of 5 years dumped her in a strange place with scary people who acted dumb towards her. She seems like she is a good dog.

That's really kind of you.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Superconsndar posted:

:neckbeard: I'm so glad you rescued her! That's great you have some local rescue people willing to work with you to help her find a new home, and take care of the adoption fee. Good for you for giving her a second chance, hopefully with someone who understands dogs she'll come out of her shell more.

Who knows what kind of life she had previously.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Superconsndar posted:

Dear confession thread:

You rock Super, just sayin.
That's loving awesome.
What's she like with other dogs...or, well, Frankie, since I'm assuming her + moses would be baaaaad.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

She wants to kill frankie, but she loves moses

and

moses

her.

:stare:

This is not a thing that has ever happened before, so I dunno wtf. She even corrected him pretty harshly for being a douche and he just...backed off.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Superconsndar posted:

and

moses

her.

This is not a thing that has ever happened before, so I dunno wtf. She even corrected him pretty harshly for being a douche and he just...backed off.

Aww, they can be the little Bonnie and Clyde of the dog world, eating all the other dogs except each other :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Superconsndar posted:

and

moses

her.

Solution: send Frankie to my house. You'll be in pibble heaven, my boyfriend will be elated to have a BT and I'll have a weird thing to dress up and take pictures of.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Serella posted:

Solution: send Frankie to my house. You'll be in pibble heaven, my boyfriend will be elated to have a BT and I'll have a weird thing to dress up and take pictures of.

It's really blowing my mind because she's got like screaming dog rage for Frankie but her and Moses are like making out and poo poo and Moses has literally never once in his life interacted in a positive way with a dog that isn't Frankie. She REALLY HATES FRANKIE and it's the funniest thing that has like ever happened.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

It's really blowing my mind because she's got like screaming dog rage for Frankie but her and Moses are like making out and poo poo and Moses has literally never once in his life interacted in a positive way with a dog that isn't Frankie. She REALLY HATES FRANKIE and it's the funniest thing that has like ever happened.

This sounds hilarious. Also a good solution is to give me Frankie. Feldman and Frankie can be totally gay together and you can keep both pits. I will then have all the flat faced farty dogs I could ever want!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

all of you stop trying to repurpose my frankie!!!!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

all of you stop trying to repurpose my frankie!!!!

The danes love grunting toys.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

She sees Frankie as competition. :colbert:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Wouldn't this conversation be better in random nonsense? Preferably with pictures? :3:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Superconsndar posted:

and

moses

her.

That is probably the coolest thing I have read in ages. And its awesome.
Videos! I want to see vee-dee-oh's.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Fraction posted:

Wouldn't this conversation be better in random nonsense? Preferably with pictures? :3:

I don't go over there. Make a new thread.

And while you're at it, make the new rat thread already, you crazy pibble lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Awwww Super!! Whats her name?

• Locked thread