Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

SirPhoebos posted:

Hey, if Liu Bei can do it :v:

Obviously do it as Lu Bu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Sonata Mused posted:

Obviously do it as Lu Bu.

Give Lu Bu Bao Sanniang's moveset and a nice guy personality.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I may not have Ken's Rage, but by god I can make a CAW that looks straight outta FotNS. Thanks Future Set!

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
All these outfits to unlock...it's like a dream come true. :swoon:

Edit:
Here's what I'll be going with on my first run.

VVVVVVVVVVVV
Hit it right on the head.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 27, 2013

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
This is just the same thing for soul calibur isn't it? We don't buy these games to play them. We buy them to play dress up.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Anyone wants to do a share for DW7: Empires? Though I would like someone else than I to buy :ohdear:

If he doesn't take you up the offer I will :allears:

Sorry got someone from the PSN Game sharing thread a bit before I saw your post so I can't assist anymore.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
DLC missions for Ken's Rage 2 came out today, including one where you go up against Jagi and Amiba on their excellent adventure!

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Dawnfire posted:

All these outfits to unlock...it's like a dream come true. :swoon:

Edit:
Here's what I'll be going with on my first run.

VVVVVVVVVVVV
Hit it right on the head.

New Officer seems like the better choice.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Making characters from other games or shows or whatever is where it's at. I can only hope that some day we get a character creator that's just ripped straight from Saints Row 3.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Everybody has a "regal" outfit and they're mostly just a goofy hat and maybe a cape on top of their normal costumes :allears:

Also, they seem to have added a ton of new weapons, I don't recognize most of the 5th-level weapons (also, the joke weapons are amazing. "Tiger of Dingdong" :v:)

edit: the great axe joke weapon is a "warning: wild beasts" sign with Lu Bu's silhouette on it :allears:

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 27, 2013

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

With Empires is it going to be something I'll get more out of if I've finished DW7? I've completed story mode but have barely scratched Conquest. Or is it more like a separate game/mode?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
How do you get the joke weapons? Because they sound great.

Sonata Mused posted:

New Officer seems like the better choice.

I got lazy and didn't feel like making up a name for him at the time. I did end up making one for him after I took the screenshot, though. :v:

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I was gonna hold off on making my usual CC's until I'd unlocked all the outfits, but the whole guest officer thing made me changed my mind. Hopefully someone out there's getting invaded by Yuan Ke and the Ru Nan Krew right now.

Anyway, in my current game I joined Lu Bu after Dong Zhuo got put down and helped him put together a force filled with the mightiest warriors in the land, with which we conquered most of the North East. Then I noticed Lu Bu (being the Ruler) wasn't participating in any of the fights! Since he was obviously no longer the mightiest, I rebelled along with Xu Huang, Ma Chao and token strategist Zhang Chunhua and kicked Lu Bu out. Along with every other officer in the kingdom except my conspirators. I wish at least SOME of the other officers would join you, considering you get all the territory. Oh well, time to scramble for officers before I get dogpiled. At least Lu Bu got a taste of his own medicine.

I'm playing a female officer, so while I was grinding up relations for my coup I got a couple cutscenes of Xu Huang and Ma Chao deciding just before a fight is the best time to hit on my character. Xu Huang's idea of flirting is to yell 'WE SHOULD SPAR SOME TIME' really loud and then walk away. He got swornbrotherzoned so hard.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Dawnfire posted:

How do you get the joke weapons? Because they sound great.

I got lazy and didn't feel like making up a name for him at the time. I did end up making one for him after I took the screenshot, though. :v:

Was it Nu Ofuser?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I've been playing through the YTR scenario just to get the hang of things. Things kind of got out of hand and now it's just me vs Dong Zhuo and his goddamn inexplicable diplomatic partnership with Meng Huo.

Currently sworn brothers with Zhao Yun, and I have Pang Tong as my token strategist. Things are alright. Using Huang Gai's musou as a skinny guy is kind of hilarious, and it'll probably be even more so on a female character. I'll never make a character that can't dislocate both of my enemies legs at once.

Also, with Brave as my main type at 9, using the movement speed upgrade item and getting the move speed boots on the field, I can literally cross the map before the item runs out. I'm pretty much the Flash at this point. I run faster on foot than Red Hare.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Has anyone found any deals on Japanese DW8? I want it but I definitely can't afford $100, when you throw in shipping and all. Maybe it's hopeless.

edit: holy poo poo the exchange rate has changed a lot since I last checked, last time I imported it was around 80, now its 92. That makes it considerably more possible.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 27, 2013

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What is weapon compatibility based off of? I chose the great sword for my CAW and their compat is only 2 stars, but it's 3 stars for the axe weapon type.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Has anyone found any deals on Japanese DW8? I want it but I definitely can't afford $100, when you throw in shipping and all. Maybe it's hopeless.

I think it's coming out on PSN on the same day? I read that on Koeiwarriors at one point but can't find it now. The Koei wiki thing mentions that "The downloadable version from PSN temporarily needs 38GB for the initial download but only 19GB to permanently store" though which sounds kind of concrete. No demo is that large. So if true you could buy it on Japanese PSN to save on shipping? If you need JP PSN card codes zmcnulty in the PS import thread offered to pick them up for less than what you'd typically pay ordering them from a website.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

I think it's coming out on PSN on the same day? I read that on Koeiwarriors at one point but can't find it now. The Koei wiki thing mentions that "The downloadable version from PSN temporarily needs 38GB for the initial download but only 19GB to permanently store" though which sounds kind of concrete. No demo is that large. So if true you could buy it on Japanese PSN to save on shipping? If you need JP PSN card codes zmcnulty in the PS import thread offered to pick them up for less than what you'd typically pay ordering them from a website.
Well, I usually do amazon.jp + tenso, because amazon often has a steep discount even on new games. Right now its 6160 yen there, which is $68. Tenso will charge around $18 all-in, so the question is, will the PSN price + overhead on the PSN card be higher or lower than that?

edit: plus, now that I know that the PS4 won't support even digitially downloaded PS3 games, I'm hesitant to buy any more games digitally.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: plus, now that I know that the PS4 won't support even digitially downloaded PS3 games, I'm hesitant to buy any more games digitally.

Well, I thought it wouldn't support physical PS3 game either. So it seems like a wash either way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PureRok posted:

Well, I thought it wouldn't support physical PS3 game either. So it seems like a wash either way.
But I can resell physical PS3 games, and I'm expecting that people will be porting late generation PS3 games to the PS4, possibly including this one.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Kingtheninja posted:

What is weapon compatibility based off of? I chose the great sword for my CAW and their compat is only 2 stars, but it's 3 stars for the axe weapon type.

I don't know, probably Fame type, but it will eventually go to 3 stars after you gain enough Fame or something. I know I started with my EX weapon at 2 stars and eventually it went up to 3.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Samurai Sanders, how long do those discounts last? I'm rather considering your option, considering that $68 at GameStop = a full-price game and a one-year replacement warranty; that $68 total includes import cost?

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

The long download begins! For the Empire(s)!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chortles posted:

Samurai Sanders, how long do those discounts last? I'm rather considering your option, considering that $68 at GameStop = a full-price game and a one-year replacement warranty; that $68 total includes import cost?
Oh, same as amazon.com prices, amazon.jp prices don't go up usually, just down. And no, it doesn't include the import cost. I use, tenso.com, a service that receives packages that can only be shipped inside of Japan (like games from Amazon.jp or pretty much any other Japanese online retailer, those fuckers) and then sends them abroad, typically charges me about $18 for their service + shipping.

edit: here it is on amazon.jp. The first print version contains two extra costumes + a "smartphone pouch" whatever that means, that's why the title is so long, it's always that way on Amazon.jp.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 27, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Being able to browse through other peoples' created characters is the best new dumb feature. I wish they would go the full Dragon's Dogma and let you gift dumb poo poo to people through their officers. Hey kidd_swagga, your "200AD Tyree" really earned this.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
God, I don't know if it's Sony or my ISP or just my own impatience but this download is taking so looooooong :negative:

Hurry up dammit, I need to conquer China with Hi Mon and Shi Ra :black101:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
I was really surprised at how fast this downloaded compared to WO3. It couldn't have been much more than two hours, which meant I actually got to play some tonight as well. This means I got to learn about the siege lance, which makes you go real fast. What with all the spinning I keep expecting the officer to finish up a stage by ripping his helmet off and going :barf:

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
I haven't picked up a straight DW title for a while, but I'm sorely tempted here. Is the verdict on DW7 Empires generally positive? Is it worth the $50 or should I hold off on it?

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
So here's where I get hypocritical and complain about the $50 price of DW7E then buy it anyway. :argh: :sigh:

Looking forward to seeing how the "other people's officers show up in your game" thing works. Can you limit it to just your friends list if you want? Also, does the full game just grab the created data from the Edit Mode demo? The answers are probably obvious once you have the game, but I doubt I'll get to actually play tonight.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The first thing the game does upon starting is ask to transfer Edit data.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
It pulls it randomly from any other player, I think. Unless there really is someone named 'Dong Tuna' in ROTK that I never heard about. There's a setting for it when you begin a new game: Either 'all players', 'favorited', and 'none'.

And yeah, the game gives you the option to crab the created data as soon as you start it.

Edit: If you want good cash you should raise affluent to level 1 early on, and just stick a treasure base on every map. Easy 10 gold every battle.

VVVVVVVVVVV

Dear Lord there is.
http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dong_Tu_Na :stare:

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 27, 2013

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Dawnfire posted:

Unless there really is someone named 'Dong Tuna' in ROTK that I never heard about.

There is.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Found it on the EU PSN, and I think I may grab it on the weekend(I'm playing a boatload of Revengeance at the moment, and am still actually doing unlocks in Ken's Rage 2, but I may decide to break on this.)

I was tinkering with the CAW in the demo and made a huge fist-wielding blue-haired dude that did essentially look straight out of Fist of the North Star. I loves him. Just geared him toward high attack and gave him martial-arts super kick specials and called it a day. I'll probably make another big beefcake with a bigger weapon of sorts. I'm tempted to use the arm canoe.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does the game automatically fill up your campaign with CAW from the net when you start a new campaign? I'm not entirely sure how that works. Aside from not knowing what to do as a vagabond leader, I'm having a heck of a fun time playing the game. The pop-in and framerate aren't that great (I expect such things from these games, hopefully they'll have a constant 30fps with a ton of poo poo on screen with the PS4) but it's just a far better designed game than Empires 6. Better movesets, better loading times, gameplay is just better. It's the best Empires game that I've played.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Does the game automatically fill up your campaign with CAW from the net when you start a new campaign?

I wonder about this as well. Or do you need to manually download CAWs and then it'll populate them into the campaign?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I kind of miss the amusing custom ending cutscenes from 5 Empires but other than that, this really is the best Empires game in the series. I just wish I could recreate my Xu Zhu only ending cutscene again, because that poo poo always made me laugh.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Jimbot posted:

The pop-in and framerate aren't that great (I expect such things from these games, hopefully they'll have a constant 30fps with a ton of poo poo on screen with the PS4) but it's just a far better designed game than Empires 6.

You shouldn't! DW7 and Orochi 3 are the worst performing ones in a long while. Gundam 3 was at 60fps basically all the time. It sounds like they've at least attempted to address it in DW8 but it's impossible to say with only 30fps videos to look at. Wish they'd put a demo out.

It is a much better game than 6e though. I kind of wish that created characters would "learn" moves the way characters do in other games. You know, the way you get longer combo strings as you level up or whatever. I like that sense of growth. Lot of fun anyway, stayed up way too late playing it last night.

Question: do your character's stats increase? I can't tell. If so, how?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

tooooooo bad posted:

You shouldn't! DW7 and Orochi 3 are the worst performing ones in a long while. Gundam 3 was at 60fps basically all the time. It sounds like they've at least attempted to address it in DW8 but it's impossible to say with only 30fps videos to look at. Wish they'd put a demo out.

It is a much better game than 6e though. I kind of wish that created characters would "learn" moves the way characters do in other games. You know, the way you get longer combo strings as you level up or whatever. I like that sense of growth. Lot of fun anyway, stayed up way too late playing it last night.

Question: do your character's stats increase? I can't tell. If so, how?

Main Fame level up, probably, much like everything else. Also for some ridiculously unbalanced reason you can equip every item simultaneously so your character should always have +25% Health, Attack and Defence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Random: you know what would be interesting? Old maps in the new style. Maps/objectives/etc from say 4 or 5, but re-tuned(enemy count and such) to fit the new standards of Dynasty Warriors.

The one that comes to mind is DW4's Nanman Campaign(It'd either be "REVENGE!" or :gonk:), but I'm sure there are other versions people would like to see.