Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Little kids watching old Tom and Jerry cartoons at my school. The American teachers all looking on uneasily as in every third or fourth episode there is casual or overt racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's been a while since I've seen one but I don't think there's any dialogue in Tom and Jerry? What is the educational value here?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Zero. If I get a group of kids who were just watching it I grill them on who did what, but they never answer, even if they have the vocabulary.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
So we discussed uncultured mainlander airport making GBS threads in this thread before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uZQ1CTASUA

How about rich mainlander airport rampaging? This video is amazing. Apparently it was the second day in the row this deputy chairman of Yunnan Mining Corp, Yan Linkun, had shown up late for his flight and couldn't board, so he flipped his poo poo. Crazy video.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

Bloodnose posted:

So we discussed uncultured mainlander airport making GBS threads in this thread before

How about rich mainlander airport rampaging? This video is amazing. Apparently it was the second day in the row this deputy chairman of Yunnan Mining Corp, Yan Linkun, had shown up late for his flight and couldn't board, so he flipped his poo poo. Crazy video.

And those guards just stand around, doing jack poo poo. I assume this is typical behaviour? From the cops, I mean?

E: speaking of the bystander effect, I recall a video that made waves a year or two back of an abandoned toddler lying on the street getting repeatedly hurt. I remember one of the key reasons for this being a history of bad legal precedent for this, where people who try to help wound up getting caught up in nasty lawsuits.

I was wondering if anyone had examples of key cases that created this precedent for helping people being unsafe, or if there was some kind of paper/write up on China's lack of good Samaritan laws. I figure there has to have been some pretty huge public cases for people to be so worried about assisting one another.

Dr. Witherbone fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 26, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr. Witherbone posted:

And those guards just stand around, doing jack poo poo. I assume this is typical behaviour? From the cops, I mean?

E: speaking of the bystander effect, I recall a video that made waves a year or two back of an abandoned toddler lying on the street getting repeatedly hurt. I remember one of the key reasons for this being a history of bad legal precedent for this, where people who try to help wound up getting caught up in nasty lawsuits.

I was wondering if anyone had examples of key cases that created this precedent for helping people being unsafe, or if there was some kind of paper/write up on China's lack of good Samaritan laws. I figure there has to have been some pretty huge public cases for people to be so worried about assisting one another.

1) It's not really clear who those guys in uniform in the background are. They look too smartly dressed to be security guards for sure, and much better dressed than the average cop. They might be cops but they look more like off-duty military officers travelling on a civilian flight. The cops in airports would usually be wearing something more like cargo pants and a reflective vest and not button down jacket and tie.

2) Yep, security guards will definitely not do anything. I sure as hell wouldn't if I were a security guard, if they want me to go start getting physical with people or some poo poo, especially people who might be rich/connected, they'd have to pay me a lot more than what a security guard gets. EDIT: I'm pretty sure private security guards in western countries aren't legally mandated to, if they see trouble, do anything other than stay back and call the cops, either.

3) Even if I were a cop, why bother? The guy doesn't seem to be harming or threatening to harm anyone, he's just smashing up some office equipment. I'm not risking my loving life/limb to save some office equipment. It's all on film, the airline knows who he is and where he lives, want until he gets tired, take him away and the airline can press charges against him for the damage if they want.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 26, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Dr. Witherbone posted:

That would be this case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxh9DzZBdi8

It's a pretty hosed up video. The first guy who ran her over got a couple years in jail, if that's worth anything

A counterexample: Uruguayan tourist saves woman from suicide-drowning in a lake, gets paid 3k yuan by "Hangzhou Foundation for Justice and Courage".

Shanghai Daily posted:

Officials said her act reflected the nature of Chinese people's foreign friends, as well as traditional Chinese virtues.
:allears:

Throatwarbler posted:

It's all on film, the airline knows who he is and where he lives, want until he gets tired, take him away and the airline can press charges against him for the damage if they want.

Howard Winn posted:

since this has been widely viewed online, his company has suspended him, and he also faces punishment as a member of Shizong County's political advisory body in Yunnan's Qujing City.
It doesn't say if he faces criminal charges or anything from the airline/airport though.

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 26, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like the woman who walks right by the guy at 3:35. She looks like she's just moving for a better view!

I can't help it, Chinese people look so much like a gaggle of awkward birds when they do the standing around silently in a huge crowd thing. It's the way they crane their necks and sway and take little careful steps through the crowd. It's like everything bad that happens in China attracts a flock of penguins.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 26, 2013

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the Youku link for all the China goons: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTE4NDU0OTUy.html

Views: Badass.

And the case that set the precedent for China to have literally The Biggest Bystander Effect in the Entire World is linked here.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Dr. Witherbone posted:

The case that started it all was the Peng Yu Incident in 2006, where a man took an elderly woman to the hospital after she had fallen and was in turn sued by the woman and forced to pay by the courts. Chinasmack has some background info on the case. It was subsequently discovered in 2012 that the man actually was at fault and not some victimized good samaritan. But at this point, the damage had been done and people were weary of helping strangers for fear of being sued. It's bad enough that even state-run papers run opinion pieces lamenting the state of Good Samaritan laws in China and even calling for the Chinese government to follow the example of the US. [1][2][3]

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

goldboilermark posted:

Here's the Youku link for all the China goons: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTE4NDU0OTUy.html

Views: Badass.

And the case that set the precedent for China to have literally The Biggest Bystander Effect in the Entire World is linked here.

Back in the late 90s before there were any white people in China(apparently) this film was all the rage.

http://www.baike.com/wiki/%E3%80%8A%E7%A6%BB%E5%BC%80%E9%9B%B7%E9%94%8B%E7%9A%84%E6%97%A5%E5%AD%90%E3%80%8B

I think in the Peng case it turned out that the guy who helped the old woman had, in fact pushed her. So at the end of the day never underestimate Chinese douchebaggery.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bloodnose posted:

That dude would have been Tazered to death in a Canadian airport, so now I am beginning to question what sort of police state you guys are running over there.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

ocrumsprug posted:

That dude would have been Tazered to death in a Canadian airport, so now I am beginning to question what sort of police state you guys are running over there.

On a scale from George Orwell to Benny Hill, China is about a six.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Reminds me of This only without the rubberneckers

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ocrumsprug posted:

There are four laws in China you can not break, and having a hissy fit like a boss at an airport is not one of them.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ocrumsprug posted:

I don't think there would have been the same reaction if the dude was a migrant worker that somehow got a plane ticket then flipped out.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Has a migrant worker ever flipped out?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

goldboilermark posted:

There are four laws in China you can not break, and having a hissy fit like a boss at an airport is not one of them.

Oh poo poo what are they? I'm gonna break all the other ones once I have an answer so choose carefully!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh poo poo what are they? I'm gonna break all the other ones once I have an answer so choose carefully!

No murder, no rape, no ridiculous robbery, no bad-mouthing the government.

I pretty much thing every other possible thing in China is ok.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

goldboilermark posted:

No murder, no rape, no ridiculous robbery, no bad-mouthing the government.

I pretty much thing every other possible thing in China is ok.

Hard drugs are a nono also. Marijuana is generally unheard of except in Yunnan.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GlassEye-Boy posted:

They are widely accessible if you know the right people, and in three and a half years I've never heard of one problem or situation for the guy. Considering how much he slings and how well known he is I have to assume that this is something he is just paying off on the side. Nice bloke, though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What is it people are (or were a year ago) selling on the street in Sanlitun, then?

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

VideoTapir posted:

What is it people are (or were a year ago) selling on the street in Sanlitun, then?

Usually really lovely overpriced hash, and the unwritten rules of dealers in China are:
When the government announces a "strike-hard" policy, you take a vacation (your cop buddies will tell you when to lay low)
Have cop buddies, ideally coming from your supplier who pays them off
Keep locals out of it and only target foreigners. Chinese cops will never give a poo poo.
Don't be a dumbass trying to push large weights on the street.

Literally everyone I know of who has played by those rules over the years never have had any problems. The government knows the problem exists, and as long as you play along with the media stunts and follow the "rules", you're fine.

Important times of the year: don't be pushing drugs on the street.
Some big convention or whatever going on: don't be pushing drugs on the street... it makes them look bad.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

The Confucius family ancestral temple on top of Mount Taishan is covered, like literally blanketed as far as the eye can see, in ditch weed. None of the locals know what it is, so when I mentioned it to my teacher she looked at me like what you'd expect if you told the average American that the Washington Monument is made out of dried yak penises.

Fiendish_Ghoul
Jul 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 136 days!

CIGNX posted:

The case that started it all was the Peng Yu Incident in 2006, where a man took an elderly woman to the hospital after she had fallen and was in turn sued by the woman and forced to pay by the courts. Chinasmack has some background info on the case. It was subsequently discovered in 2012 that the man actually was at fault and not some victimized good samaritan. But at this point, the damage had been done and people were weary of helping strangers for fear of being sued. It's bad enough that even state-run papers run opinion pieces lamenting the state of Good Samaritan laws in China and even calling for the Chinese government to follow the example of the US. [1][2][3]

More like the case that started the widespread use of this excuse for inaction. The behavior goes back a bit further, I wouldn't venture to say how far.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Here's a fun article that basically says that you can't have a law requiring Chinese officials to disclose assets, because that would literally cause the collapse of society when everyone sees how corrupt everyone is.

SCMP posted:

At the past seven annual meetings of the National People's Congress, lawyer Han Deyun repeatedly called for legislation requiring officials to declare their personal assets.

"There is no law at all on the disclosure of assets at the moment," said the NPC deputy from Chongqing . "We need to make it a legal obligation, otherwise our civil servants will ask 'why should I'?"

Public calls for the disclosure of officials' assets have reached fever pitch in the past few months in the wake of a spate of scandals that revealed the huge fortunes amassed by officials.

First, there was Cai Bin - a Guangzhou urban management official nicknamed "House Uncle" by internet users - who was found to own 22 properties valued at more than 35.5 million yuan (HK$43.65 million) despite having a monthly income of just 10,000 yuan. He was sacked in October

Then there was "Uncle Watch" Yang Dacai - a Shaanxi province work-safety official who was disciplined in September after internet users posted pictures showing him wearing luxury watches worth as much as 35,000 yuan. He was expelled from the Communist Party this month and his case has been referred to prosecutors.

And shortly before the Lunar New Year, "House Sister" Gong Aiai , a deputy head of a bank in Shaanxi, was arrested for forging official documents. Media reports say she used fake identities to buy 41 properties in Beijing.

Last year's overseas news reports of the family fortunes of the country's top leaders, including Premier Wen Jiabao and party chief Xi Jinping , have also added momentum to the call for more transparency.

Amid rapid inflation and a widening income gap, public discontent over the wealth of officials, many of whom own multiple properties and flashy cars and keep mistresses, is growing increasingly vocal. Many are now placing their hopes in a new law on the disclosure of officials' assets at next month's NPC meeting.

"The antagonism between officials and ordinary people has reached an unprecedented level, that's why society is demanding new measures," Han said.

The mainland has considered requiring party officials to disclose their assets since the 1980s. A proposal was first discussed at the NPC in 1994, but disclosure requirements remain regulations set by the Communist Party and the State Council, with reports for internal scrutiny only. Despite the growing pressure, analysts say legislation for mandatory disclosure of assets is unlikely to happen soon. They say corruption is too widespread among officials and the party fears mandatory disclosure of assets will make too many heads roll and further damage the party's image and legitimacy.

"Disclosure of assets would shake-up the upper echelons of power in a big way," said political commentator Zhang Lifan . "It's a tug of war between the authorities and ordinary people, and between the central and local authorities."

Since Xi took the helm of the Communist Party in November, he has made repeated calls for a renewed fight against corruption, vowing to target both "tigers and flies" - high and low-ranking officials.

But Zhang said Xi had encountered strong resistance from local governments.

Last week, several mainland cities prohibited members of the public from searching property registries - a tool they could use to expose officials' wealth. Zhang said the bans were part of an effort by lower-level governments to resist Xi's anti-graft drive.

"The whole system is so corrupt, if it [mandatory disclosure] is implemented, it would lead to the collapse of the ruling regime," he said.

Zhang said the political elites' vested interests were so entrenched in a corrupt system that it would be "a major test" for Xi to prove he had the courage to tackle rampant corruption across the board.

Chen Ziming , an independent political analyst, said while a requirement to disclose officials' wealth would pose a huge challenge for the leadership, the mounting pressure from ordinary people could not be ignored either.

"People have put a lot of hopes in new leadership … and they are not so patient with Xi, they want him to do something concrete," Chen said.

He said that even if enacting such legislation triggered the dismissal of large numbers of corrupt officials, the government must still accept the challenge and heed the public's call. "The pressure from the people is getting stronger, they cannot afford not to respond," he said.

Wang Quanjie , a former NPC deputy who proposed such legislation at many past congresses, said asset disclosure was a necessary step to maintain the credibility of the regime.

Despite the high risk, crises could be catalysts for social progress, he said.

By the way, does anyone have a good source for Chinese public servant salaries and benefits? I can't find where people are getting these figures.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

By the way, does anyone have a good source for Chinese public servant salaries and benefits? I can't find where people are getting these figures.

All I have ever found out about salaries in China has come from job adverts.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I read an article about the plight of low-level bureaucrats in China. There was a guy they interviewed who basically said that corruption is all that makes it worthwhile, and if you're in a position where you can't profit from graft, it's one of the worst jobs you can have. You work from early morning to late night, get paid poo poo, and have basically no respect. With conditions like that, it's really no wonder that the people who gain any power at all start to abuse it horribly.

edit: I mean, Bo's salary was something ridiculous like 25k a year. How bad must it be for data entry drone #242984?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've seen in articles that Hu Jintao's official salary was like 10-15k a month. But I have no idea where the information comes from. In Chinese or English, Google is getting me nowhere except news articles that don't cite their source.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
How much does the US Treasury Secretary or AG get paid compared to what he could make in the private sector? That's sort of the nature of any government job in any country outside of the Nordics or Singapore.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
The U.S. President may not be getting paid the hundreds of millions that you might expect of a man with his power, but his official salary is over $400,000 USD a year. Even if he never made another dime, he'd still be rich.

As I understand it (I haven't seen the official numbers and that's why I asked for them), Chinese public servants earn wages that are basically poverty. I've seen 3,000 RMB a month in some articles for mid-level officials. To provide for a family, you'd have to abuse your power.

Now of course many of them get greedy and kick it up to 11 and buy gold chain character necklaces that say "gently caress DA POOR", but certainly the pathetically low compensation for people who pass one of the world's most competitive exams is part of the problem.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

Bloodnose posted:

The U.S. President may not be getting paid the hundreds of millions that you might expect of a man with his power, but his official salary is over $400,000 USD a year. Even if he never made another dime, he'd still be rich.

As I understand it (I haven't seen the official numbers and that's why I asked for them), Chinese public servants earn wages that are basically poverty. I've seen 3,000 RMB a month in some articles for mid-level officials. To provide for a family, you'd have to abuse your power.

Now of course many of them get greedy and kick it up to 11 and buy gold chain character necklaces that say "gently caress DA POOR", but certainly the pathetically low compensation for people who pass one of the world's most competitive exams is part of the problem.

This, this exactly. I have a good buddy who's corrupt. His first wife died, so he remarried. They each brought a kid to the relationship and then had #3 together. Good luck providing for that family on the official salary. Sure, the theory is that they should be poor like everyone else. But, gently caress that, this is China, you get what you can get while you can get it. Once you're retired, that's the end of the line for you. No talk shows, no speech tours, no book deals. Your pension will be based on your official salary. You don't usually start out in the grafty positions to start with either. You get a max of like 10, *maybe* 15 years of prime time to stash away what you can for the family.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Can't you just have two job titles and earn two salaries? I thought a "lecturer" who was also "clerk" to the department would get two paychecks.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

GuestBob posted:

Can't you just have two job titles and earn two salaries? I thought a "lecturer" who was also "clerk" to the department would get two paychecks.

Maybe, but I think that'd be a tougher sell. With hidden assets, you can at least play a little razzle dazzle to keep your graft out of the public eye. With two job titles though, you're probably on a dozen different registries, and I think most people would get pissed at someone getting two paychecks for the work of one.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

GuestBob posted:

It's also quite literally impossible to move up without being corrupt.

If you work in taxation. There will be those who want to just bribe you to look the other way. If you refuse the bribes and demand the taxes instead, you are pissing off everyone who wants to give a hongbao, you are pissing off your family because you're wasting a position to get ahead, and you're pissing off your co-workers who are sick of being poor. Due to this resistance, you will never advance and probably be dismissed.

Obviously there's a difference in levels of corruption. My buddy basically uses it to stash away some valuable stuff here and there, has 2 rentals (from back in the day when companies gave free housing) in addition to an oddly cheap apartment his family lives in which is well-furnished, drives an ok car, and his way of getting cash is flipping used cars, which get marked up by like 2-3w and bought without question. It's either that, or try and support a family of 5 on 3000 RMB a month. It tends to be the ones who seemingly go out of their way to be corrupt for corruption's sake that are the villains. Basically kinda like the mafia. Gotta make your bones to be trusted, but if you are bringing in too much attention and being an idiot, they'll whack you themselves.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

and his way of getting cash is flipping used cars, which get marked up by like 2-3w and bought without question.

Is this coming with some assistance in getting the cars registered? I think that would explain the markup.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

VideoTapir posted:

Is this coming with some assistance in getting the cars registered? I think that would explain the markup.

Nope. It just so happens that people who need a favor dealing with tax issues are willing to buy a car from him for a markup. Only does this maybe 5 or 6 times a year though. The rest is basically people buying poo poo for his kids. He's got a LOT of really nice poo poo stashed away though. Kinda obvious that he's corrupt, but it's not hurting anyone.

At the really low-end in the department there, the corruption starts off with stuff like getting free food at the markets and eating for free in restaurants that don't give fapiao.

Oh, and just remembered another thingy. Some temple got organized up in the mountains. At some level in the department they helped them get through all the red tape, so if you go through some of the people there, they get a kickback, you get a cheap grave site in a really nice place instead of paying the going rates.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Doesn't a lot of this effectively divert revenues from the state to the official's pockets, thus diminishing their ability to pay non-graft-level employees enough to give a gently caress? It seems like this is a problem which is undermining its only non-violent solution.

edit: Not that I expect your friend to be able to do anything about it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
The weird thing about government balance sheets in China is that all the taxes go to the central government, but the responsibility for projects and services go to local governments. So a local tax official isn't collecting money for his own salary, he's collecting it for like PLAN stealth destroyers. Local jurisdictions get money mostly through land sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cry me a loving river if you work in Chinese government :qq: Then don't be a loving public official and get a real job like everyone else.

Engineering friend of mine was in working in public position. Most of the time was spent on kissing rear end instead of actually developing a skill set. She basically quit her job and moved to Shanghai for a multi national engineering firm where she actually has to use a brain.

Being corrupt and greedy is one thing, but being incompetent is another. The system encourages incompetence. Want to try applying for a driver's license? Or a marriage certificate when you live out of your hukou? Good loving luck because you will be guranteed to jump through a gazillion hoops and have the right red stamps. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by Hong Kong's efficient government where poo poo and infrastructure just works.

When I visited her in Wenzhou to play part time boyfriend in her front of parents, we went and visited a cousin of her's. This cousin was part of the museum/tourist office. The whole experience was surreal, we just needed to name drop and avoid paying for entree fees, have personal drivers and tour guides giving us tours, free food, and best of all.

The museum was closed but we get a private tour anyways. And hearing him talk about how most of the props and displays in the martyr's memorial was fake/photoshopped pictures/or poo poo he bought from tao bao.

There's really a huge divide between "in the circle", and "out of the circle". Being in the circle, everyone was super nice, but we can see feel the contempt they have for regular tourists and yell at everyone blocking their golf cart rides (when they are clearing not suppose to drive up there).

Hey if doing business in China means government fees, fine bring em in charge me through the roof. But let me know beforehand instead of just relying on this dude or that other dude's brother intel with some arbitrary number. All this uncertainty and guessing is just a waste of everyone's time and productivity. Have all the fees/prices/bribes and poo poo baked into the system instead of deciding on the number of shots of baijiu I have to slog through.

Bloodnose posted:

The weird thing about government balance sheets in China is that all the taxes go to the central government, but the responsibility for projects and services go to local governments. So a local tax official isn't collecting money for his own salary, he's collecting it for like PLAN stealth destroyers. Local jurisdictions get money mostly through land sales.

Pretty much this. So even if there are crack downs, the local guys will still feel left out from the pie and be corrupt. Unless the initial crackdown is system wide hard and rebooted. Not going to happen at all, but the increased transparency protocols and recent flak are causing people to be more stealthy instead of flash their audi/gucci.

There was a joint venture with a multi national company and they like to do everything by the books. So when there was an audit of scrap metal going to some local official's company, the partner wanted to ditch the official's prices and go for out of town scrap collectors to net an additional 20% profit. It was hilarious that local custom officials, police (gong-an) and any villager affiliated with the official came out and blockaded everything.

Our partner had better guanxi and just called the Guangzhou bureau and had riot police haul everyone in and beat down the local police :wtc: However, no one big really got hauled in and we couldn't get work related to the partner signed or okayed as retaliation :smith:

caberham fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 27, 2013