Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PENETRATION TESTS
Dec 26, 2011

built upon dope and vice
but the standard libraOHHHHH I GET IT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
page 420 :420:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i'm curious when/if we'll see a serious garbage collected implementation of c++

also smoke piff get piffy

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

never

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Not sure if this counts as 'serious', but it is a C/C++ garbage collector:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boehm_garbage_collector

It's used by Mozilla, Mono, irssi, Scheme implementations, etc. too.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FamDav posted:

also smoke piff get piffy

I think u need c++/cli

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There are conservative GCs, you can't get a real GC because the C++ type system is optional.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Java gets within spitting distance of c++ for performance so unless you're writing kernel code or need real-time guarantees I fail to see the point of using c++. C is the obvious choice of greybeards and Linux spergs but there's no niche for c++

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
have things changed, can you get high performance graphics out of java now

I wouldn't wanna write that poo poo in bare C

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hotspots gc is fine. gc pausing is one of those non-issues that greybeards bring up when they talk about savage optimizations they can only do in c. there are sometimes specific reasons to pick a different gc mechanism or to tweak the settings but those are only after you've actually determined theres a performance problem caused by gc which is almost never the case. its another case of guesswork theoretical analysis where autismals will try to pre-optimize the system instead of looking at the real world metrics.

you are not writing perfect code that is somehow beyond the capabilities of the gc. you're either doing dumb poo poo like destroying and recreating the same objects over and over OR (and this is the case in 99.99999% of cases) you have a loving memory leak. fix the leak you shithead.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

There are conservative GCs, you can't get a real GC because the C++ type system is optional.

all GC is conservative, the question whether a piece of memory will ever be used again is undecidable

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

GC pausing is an issue as soon as you have any hard real time constraints (and some soft ones).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

otoh many things are an issue when you have real time constraints

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Internaut! posted:

have things changed, can you get high performance graphics out of java now

insert minecraft joke

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i sort of said this spread out across a couple of posts, but reference counting plus everything-is-a-table is a neat language model. only reference count on the table level, and encourage large tables rather than a billion atomic objects floating around. combines beautifully with column-orientation

basically kx k/q is the holy land for scaling

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

fix the leak you shithead.

but this is why someone is using java instead of c!

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

hotspots gc is fine. gc pausing is one of those non-issues that greybeards bring up when they talk about savage optimizations they can only do in c. there are sometimes specific reasons to pick a different gc mechanism or to tweak the settings but those are only after you've actually determined theres a performance problem caused by gc which is almost never the case. its another case of guesswork theoretical analysis where autismals will try to pre-optimize the system instead of looking at the real world metrics.

You're only saying this because you're so used to GC pauses your brain is literally editing them out http://www.eaglemanlab.net/papers/StetsonetalNeuron2006.pdf

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Shaggar posted:

you are not writing perfect code that is somehow beyond the capabilities of the gc. you're either doing dumb poo poo like destroying and recreating the same objects over and over OR (and this is the case in 99.99999% of cases) you have a loving memory leak. fix the leak you shithead.

hahahahaha

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

GC pausing is an issue as soon as you have any hard real time constraints (and some soft ones).

and for the 1% of users where that's the case then they can do some real analysis of the running system to figure out how to tune it. for the rest, its not an issue

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

sorry officer I rear-ended the other driver because someone didn't tune the GC of my braking system correctly and it skipped on the signal I sent

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

I lo
ve it w
hen my
garba
ge collec
tor kic
ks
in in m
y bro
wser

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

gc pausing is a non issue!

*display ad bidding fleet pauses the world for 50s for GC, literally six figures go straight down the drain*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
not the gcs fault ur code is bad

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

lol okay

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

shaggar!!!!!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

every time the world stops for gc i forget where my goalposts are

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

moving forward using all my mem
allocating with you was never second best
i saw the program crashing all around your stack
never knowing who's right in the forum black

i'll stop the world and gc with you

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

horse mans posted:

gc pausing is a non issue!

*display ad bidding fleet pauses the world for 50s for GC, literally six figures go straight down the drain*

use non-pausing/concurrent gc for ad bidding :whatup:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Surely not every last line of your codebase is performance critical

Do the performance critical stuff in C, layer some plang interpreter on top of it and export your high performance primitives as a dsl

i still think code where you don't explicitly qualify your types is needlessly obnoxious to maintain for anything bigger than like a college project though

Bream
Feb 3, 2013

Farmer's Barket
^^^^: FINE WHATEVER

If gc is so great then why does my jvm binary depend on libc.so.6? :smugbert:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

MononcQc posted:

Not sure if this counts as 'serious', but it is a C/C++ garbage collector:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boehm_garbage_collector

It's used by Mozilla, Mono, irssi, Scheme implementations, etc. too.

lol

mozilla and mono both use it as their "dumb" gc issues intended for debugging their complex gc

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

whoops

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

its page 420, let us all hate on php and smoke a drug together

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KBlair posted:

its page 420, let us all hate on php and smoke a drug together

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

i once tried php, wasnt a fan, gave up web programming forever

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Yakattak posted:

gave up web programming forever

more people should do this

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

horse mans posted:

Yakattak posted:

give up posting forever

i should do this

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

haha you suck atp osting

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

no chocckakacokacoka just sucks at quote nesting