Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Reverend Cheddar posted:

That's yet another thing that will cause dumbfounded stares, telling people your parents are divorced but had joint custody.
The issue strikes doubly-close for me, knowing someone who is divorced and has full custody of her children. I have been told that if she were to let them stay with their father for even a day, they would be kidnapped by their grandmother who's desperate for heirs. It's just heartbreaking to go through photo albums on iTunes when I'm over at the house and stumble upon an album with lots of pics of their father. The kids know perfectly well that it's their dad, even though the oldest wasn't older than five during the divorce, and they both just cry. :smith:

I don't think i understand this funny. So if the kids were to stay at their father's house, how would their grandmother just kidnap them? Since the mother has full custody couldn't she just get the authorities involved to get them back if it came down to that? Does the father and grandmother live overseas or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

mcpike posted:

D) Japan plays victim when really it is the country attacking the sovereignty of foreign governments.

Japan expects foreigners to obey the laws of Japan, but supports Japanese citizens breaking the laws of foreign countries.

Japan criticizes N. Korea for the abduction of 17 Japanese citizens between 1977 to 1983. Yet, Japan been supporting the abduction of 1000's of children from around the world for decades - and still does.

A bit of a tangent, but I've seen this connection made quite a lot by people whose kids are abducted back to Japan, and I think it's an extremely poor and insensitive analogy. In the abductions by North Korea, you had young people abducted on orders of another state who were held in secret for 24+ years. Many of them died in North Korea, with their families never knowing for certain where they were. This is a state crime that has severely crippled Japan's relations with the DPRK and the Japanese public's opinions of North Korea. Even today, over ten years since the Pyongyang Summit, it remains a prominent sticking point - Abe has been wearing the blue ribbon (http://www.rachi.go.jp/en/minkan/index.html) in all of his media appearances, and made detailed reference to the abductions in his recent CSIS speech in the US (http://www.kantei.go.jp/foreign/96_abe/statement/201302/22speech_e.html).

How the abduction of a child by one parent, in which both parties know the location of the child and the child is always with a parent, is an any way analogous to this (besides the word "abduction") is extremely unclear to me. It's also a comparison not likely to endear the speaker to Japanese people.

(/tangent)

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

(This post is not supposed to be here, sorry.)

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

ozza posted:

How the abduction of a child by one parent, in which both parties know the location of the child and the child is always with a parent, is an any way analogous to this (besides the word "abduction") is extremely unclear to me.

Taking people somewhere that they didn't intend to go and then forbidding them from going back where they were before is bad.

Yes these are two different things. But the North Korea thing has a good appeal to emotion going on and they do share the word 'abduction' at least in English. Then again, I don't think many Japanese would admit that what is going on in their families is abduction.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Mercury_Storm posted:

I don't think i understand this funny. So if the kids were to stay at their father's house, how would their grandmother just kidnap them? Since the mother has full custody couldn't she just get the authorities involved to get them back if it came down to that? Does the father and grandmother live overseas or something?

The authorities won't get involved, that's the thing. Whoever physically has the children has de facto custody regardless of what the courts say. That's why if a Japanese mother let her kids go stay with their Japanese father in Japan, and the two were divorced, the dad could go "gently caress you, kids are mine now" and completely cut the mother off and there's absolutely nothing she can do about it.

Case A: everyone involved is in Japan. Mother has legal custody and lets kids go see father for a weekend. Father says "gently caress you, kids are mine now." Mother doesn't get to see her children again until they become adults.

Case B: everyone lives in 'the gaikoku', children born and raised there for ten years. Mother disappears with children one day, boards plane to Japan, goes to family court and gets legal custody in Japan citing "domestic abuse". Father is unlikely to have any contact with his children at all until they become adults.

Case C: parents divorced, everyone living in 'the gaikoku', children born and raised there, father has legal custody in 'the gaikoku'. Mother disappears with children one day, boards plane to Japan, goes to family court and gets legal custody in Japan citing "domestic abuse". Father is unlikely to have any contact with his children at all until they become adults (unless the mother is retarded like that one chick that went to Hawaii to renew her PR and got arrested at immigrations for kidnapping, which is also the only case thus far in history of children being returned from Japan to America, and only because the judge offered to let her go free if the children were returned).

Edit: Relevant story of that Emiko Inoue chick.

And interesting point on Japanese legal theory:

quote:

An American father got custody from Japanese courts over the claims of a Japanese mother? That’s never happened before that I’ve heard of, so I asked Sakar about how that came about.

Well, it turns out that the Japanese court was faced with the issue of jurisdiction. How could it obtain jurisdiction of a custody case without the father’s being present and of which a U.S. court had already taken control and ruled on custody? Well, however it managed that, the Japanese court ruled that it had “concurrent” jurisdiction with the Milwaukee court.

That placed the court in a box. Since the Milwaukee court had already given custody to Garcia, the Japanese court was required to honor that ruling, so it did.

[...]

But the Japanese court did give Garcia substantial visitation which he of course couldn’t exercise given the fact that he lives thousands of miles away and has a medical practice to keep up here. Even if he’d tried to visit Karina, Inoue would have been under no obligation to allow it.

Yep, visitation is at the whims of whoever has custody. As in, not going to happen.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 26, 2013

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Mercury_Storm posted:

The only funny part about it is thinking that authorities would be obliged to help. :(

Japan is... very, very literal when it comes to gender roles. Only a woman can give birth and breastfeed, ergo, the woman's role is to [insert your choice of housewife tasks]. Even getting a babysitter is something weird, I've heard. It's not even strictly Confucian -- though I hear that this thinking is kinda replicated in South Korea to the nth degree more than in Japan and it is definitely way more Confucian. That kind of thinking is the basis of the vast majority of custody rulings, no matter if the wife is totally crazy. The other is that the welfare of your kids supersedes everything else in your life. I mean yeah we can probably agree on that too but there are wild interpretations of what's really best for kids over there, like the babysitter thing I mentioned.

Coincidentally this also leads to an enormous catch-22 if you're a single mother with nowhere to go. If you work to support your kids (90% of the time you will be a temp worker, too, with contracts up to a year at most) you're a bad mom for not staying at home. If you stay at home welp, you can't support your kids at all. Have fun being poor and discriminated against for being a single mom!

Reverend Cheddar fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 18, 2013

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Of course only now do I realize that I typed "funny" instead of "fully". As in "I don't understand this fully." Oh those child abductions, ha ha!

Yeah that is really depressing. I had no idea that even hiring a babysitter was looked down upon, either. I always hear about how mothers in Japan do ALL the chores in the house, even those of her children, but hasn't Japan arrived at the point where both parents of a household are required to work to support the family, too? I know there are tons of after school activities like clubs and cram school, but those don't last forever and lots of companies expect you to work (unpaid) overtime way past a reasonable hour. Does everyone just leave their kids at home unattended and hope no one finds out about it?

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 26, 2013

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Mercury_Storm posted:

Of course only now do I realize that I typed "funny" instead of "fully". As in "I don't understand this fully." Oh those child abductions, ha ha!

Yeah that is really depressing. I had no idea that even hiring a babysitter was looked down upon, either. I always hear about how mothers in Japan do ALL the chores in the house, even those of her children, but hasn't Japan arrived at the point where both parents of a household are required to work to support the family, too? I know there are tons of after school activities like clubs and cram school, but those don't last forever and lots of companies expect you to work (unpaid) overtime way past a reasonable hour. Does everyone just leave their kids at home unattended and hope no one finds out about it?

Japan's tax code is actually structured heavily against a double income for the household (I haven't worked anywhere more than a Starbucks so I don't know what it's like for workers with an actual salary. Anyone more versed in tax code wanna help explain it?). The most I've ever heard of a housewife working is when the kids are in middle school and beyond, and even then she'll work part-time doing easy work at Mos Burger or as a bank teller or something. Some elementary schools have after-school programs to a certain extent for families in that situation, but I think they only last until 5 or 6 PM. There are few daycares available for children (though I don't think the problem is as bad outside big cities), particularly in Tokyo, and as a result they are exorbitantly expensive. You have to be licensed as a child care worker, which actually isn't the hard part; the hard part is that the hours and pay are absolutely terrible so only the most dedicated stay for long. Lots of girls go to vocational school, get the certification, but end up trying to get into a big company for those reasons even though daycares practically hand out jobs.

Reverend Cheddar fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 26, 2013

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Protocol 5 posted:

I thankfully haven't had any direct experience with cops in Japan, aside from the occasional cursory eyefuck, but I do have a pretty funny anecdote from a former coworker. The guy had his apartment broken into while he was at work, so he called the cops and made sure not to touch anything. A couple of uniforms show up to take a statement and get a list of what's missing. They eventually wrap it up, and on their way out, one of them actually has the gall to criticize my former coworker for not cleaning up before they arrived. At that point he pretty much abandoned all hope of every getting any of his stuff back.

My only experience with Japanese cops aside from stumbling into the odd Koban drunk and asking for directions was getting pulled over driving a friend's car after leaving some bar. She and her sister were arguing that the other should drive, so I said gently caress it, gimme the keys I'll do it. Now, I'd had a few drinks to be sure, and though I was probably below the US BAC limit, I was certainly above the Japanese one. Not defending my actions, yes it was a dumb thing. Anyhow, we come up on a police roadblock. I'm thinking I'm hosed, no DL, legally too drunk to be driving, but what else can I do but stop and roll down the window? Cop takes one look at me then immediately starts talking past me to my friend in the passenger seat. I sat silently as he explained that a vending machine was robbed and asked had we seen anything. No, we've been elsewhere, blah blah blah, OK, have a nice night. Basically (and fortunately for me, at least) Japanese police are completely incompetent.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Japan's tax code is actually structured heavily against a double income for the household (I haven't worked anywhere more than a Starbucks so I don't know what it's like for workers with an actual salary. Anyone more versed in tax code wanna help explain it?). The most I've ever heard of a housewife working is when the kids are in middle school and beyond, and even then she'll work part-time doing easy work at Mos Burger or as a bank teller or something. Some elementary schools have after-school programs to a certain extent for families in that situation, but I think they only last until 5 or 6 PM. There are few daycares available for children (though I don't think the problem is as bad outside big cities), particularly in Tokyo, and as a result they are exorbitantly expensive. You have to be licensed as a child care worker, which actually isn't the hard part; the hard part is that the hours and pay are absolutely terrible so only the most dedicated stay for long. Lots of girls go to vocational school, get the certification, but end up trying to get into a big company for those reasons even though daycares practically hand out jobs.

I'm no expert either but I remembered about this:

quote:

In parallel with housing policy, taxation and social security systems have advantaged conventional family households including a homemaking wife ... Married women who earn less than 1,300,000 yen are provided with an entitlement to a basic pension without having to make contributions while those whose incomes are 1,030,000 yen or less assist their husbands in qualifying for income tax deductions. This has explicitly advantaged those who are married and has encouraged many women to maintain the status of dependent wives to maximize their economic benefits.
Page 155, Hirayama, Y. "Home ownership, family change and generational differences" in Home and Family in Japan, Ronald, R. and Alexy, A. (eds.), Routledge, 2011.

It basically boils down to the fact that if you're a married women, you'd gently caress yourself over if you were to work more than fulltime tax-wise and retirement-wise.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Mercury_Storm posted:

My students generally don't get home from cram school until 8-10pm, by which time at least one parent is definitely home. They also show up to school on Saturday for tests/club stuff and then go to cram school again, but normally not as late. I did a survey and about 80% get only 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night on weekdays. 6 hours was rare, and nobody got more than 7.

The amount of contact time that Japanese parents have with their children is miniscule once they enter school. If not for Sundays it would be under ten hours a week easily for the vast majority of my students.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah that is really depressing. I had no idea that even hiring a babysitter was looked down upon, either.

You have no idea, I haven't done anything grown up with my wife for 9 years. I am really hopeful that I only have another 7 before that particular Japanese trait is finished. :negative:

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Sheep posted:

Also one of the the scariest things here is the number of police officers and attorneys being caught doing illegal stuff. There have been so many reports in the news of police officers caught molesting girls, video taping up girls' skirts, etc. over the past year that I've quite literally lost count of them.
Saw this in news today. Laughed when I remembered your post.

Police Sergeant arrested in Underage Prostitution Scandal
The most remarkable thing about this? That he was actually arrested. He'll probably get let off lightly though. Hell, he'll probably keep his job. Pretty sure I see something like this every week now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reverend Cheddar posted:

The opinion I formed when I was over there is while most developed countries' governments are trying to find THE BEST way to get women into the workplace, Japan's government is still trying to decide IF they want women in the workplace.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Samurai Sanders posted:

The opinion I formed when I was over there is while most developed countries' governments are trying to find THE BEST way to get women into the workplace, Japan's government is still trying to decide IF they want women in the workplace.

Well of course they do, who else is going to pour their tea for them? :v:

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Reverend Cheddar posted:

...and deal with customers.

What if they just do away with their women and recruit women from dispatch companies as "tea pourers." (Assuming they aren't already :v:)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Well, I meant career-wise. The Japanese government is perfectly okay with women working until its time for them to become baby machines.

edit: for my whole life I am NEVER going to forget a member of the Japanese cabinet referring to women as baby machines in open session. America has people who say things like that too but to my knowledge they have never been as close to the top of the government as the old health minister Yanagisawa was.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 27, 2013

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I meant career-wise. The Japanese government is perfectly okay with women working until its time for them to become baby machines.

edit: for my whole life I am NEVER going to forget a member of the Japanese cabinet referring to women as baby machines in open session. America has people who say things like that too but to my knowledge they have never been as close to the top of the government as the old health minister Yanagisawa was.

The bolded bit is about all you need to know to understand why it got said.

I'm pretty confident you'll see that change in the next decade and a half or so. Japan will start to realize the demographic squeeze that's plaguing them. Of course the main push will be to encourage women to go into nursing and taking care of the olds. When push comes to shove, who do you think they'll bend over for. Women or immigrant workers from some SE Asian country?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kenishi posted:

The bolded bit is about all you need to know to understand why it got said.

I'm pretty confident you'll see that change in the next decade and a half or so. Japan will start to realize the demographic squeeze that's plaguing them. Of course the main push will be to encourage women to go into nursing and taking care of the olds. When push comes to shove, who do you think they'll bend over for. Women or immigrant workers from some SE Asian country?
You forgot the third possibility: robots. I am not even joking.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I went to that huge Sumitomo Pharmaceuticals plant in Osaka like five or six years ago as part of a pathology lecture. They have women with veterinary medicine licensure and PhDs serving the guests tea and stuff while all the male staff members take off to the smoke room to sit around and chimney up the place. It's mind blowing how poorly women are treated here.

All of the western doctors with us were like "wait, really?" and just couldn't comprehend the situation.

They've also got their own little fake traditional Japanese restaurant on the company grounds they use to entertain guests. Decent food but something was incredibly off about the entire experience.

Kenishi posted:

Saw this in news today. Laughed when I remembered your post.

Police Sergeant arrested in Underage Prostitution Scandal
The most remarkable thing about this? That he was actually arrested. He'll probably get let off lightly though. Hell, he'll probably keep his job. Pretty sure I see something like this every week now.
Just another day in Japan.

I think we're up to four or five Japanese teachers from my BOE being punished for engaging in child prostitution and child pornography this academic year.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 27, 2013

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

You forgot the third possibility: robots. I am not even joking.
A country still using the fax machine like it was invented yesterday isn't going to be making any giant leaps to robots. Especially when you consider that they haven't turned out anything remotely innovative in the robotic industry in the past decade or two. And to head off anyone stating "ASIMO." That's a pet project that's been going on for decades now and hasn't shown us anything producable except that they can make a robot that can shuffle-dance. DARPA in 20 years has produced more advanced robots that have actually shown utility. BIGDOG(Youtube) is probably the most notable example. I believe I've seen some freestanding bipedal robots as well, but they are still tied to power lines.

Even assuming that Japan advanced the robotic industry by leaps and bounds in the next 2 decades. What makes you believe they'd adopt using them around old people? You live here, what on earth makes you think they'll adopt something so radically technological when they have been slow to adapt other advancements? This also ignoring the technological issues that need to be overcome as well not just in robotics but in AI as well.

Anyone suggesting robots, as Japan's solution to them not having sex, is joking whether they realize it not.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kenishi posted:

A country still using the fax machine like it was invented yesterday isn't going to be making any giant leaps to robots. Especially when you consider that they haven't turned out anything remotely innovative in the robotic industry in the past decade or two. And to head off anyone stating "ASIMO." That's a pet project that's been going on for decades now and hasn't shown us anything producable except that they can make a robot that can shuffle-dance. DARPA in 20 years has produced more advanced robots that have actually shown utility. BIGDOG(Youtube) is probably the most notable example. I believe I've seen some freestanding bipedal robots as well, but they are still tied to power lines.

Even assuming that Japan advanced the robotic industry by leaps and bounds in the next 2 decades. What makes you believe they'd adopt using them around old people? You live here, what on earth makes you think they'll adopt something so radically technological when they have been slow to adapt other advancements? This also ignoring the technological issues that need to be overcome as well not just in robotics but in AI as well.

Anyone suggesting robots, as Japan's solution to them not having sex, is joking whether they realize it not.
I only think this because I can see how hellbent they are at both denying women careers after marriage, and denying SE Asians high paying jobs like in nursing.

edit: or at least, that was the situation with nursing when I was there (I had lots of ESL students who were nurses, they told me about the job situation regarding foreigners). Has it changed?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 27, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
What I still don't understand is how Japan can have this culture of women staying in the home and have one of the world's lowest birth rates.

In the rest of Asia (and the rich world), the stresses of making a living and advancing careers and having tiny living space (I'm in Hong Kong) cuts down the birth rate. But why, when Japan gives all these benefits we just discussed to single-income households and do everything they can to keep women as home-making and (apparently literally called them?) baby machines, do they have such a problem making babies?

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I only think this because I can see how hellbent they are at both denying women careers after marriage, and denying SE Asians high paying jobs like in nursing.

edit: or at least, that was the situation with nursing when I was there. Has it changed?
Its not changed yet because there hasn't been any reason to bother. Like I mentioned, the demographic squeeze hasn't hit them yet. Right now, people can still feel like there aren't many problems. Here in 10-15 years though the articles are going to start hitting the papers talking about the real numbers in the healthcare industry and "scary problem of not enough workers." They've made spiritless attempts to try and head-off the problem but they weren't actually trying to solve the problem, they were just trying to set up a case study that they can point back to in the future and say "See, all these lazy workers from the Philippines just don't have a Japanese work mentality. Trying to bring in outside groups won't fix our problem! We need to ...." But as we get closer and closer to 2040, 2050, it'll become very real. Current projections show that when 2050 rolls around, if you recruited every single person that could work, you'd have 10 old people for every 1 person. Most other countries are hovering around 1 to 2-4.

When people start dieing because of staff shortages and just not enough people to watch everyone. The mentality will change. I would like to think that by 2040-2050 that Japan would have become more progressive and less xenophobic. Recruiting Japan-born women to work jobs that need bodies in them is far more likely than someone going "Lets go hire us some Chinese."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kenishi posted:

When people start dieing because of staff shortages and just not enough people to watch everyone. The mentality will change. I would like to think that by 2040-2050 that Japan would have become more progressive and less xenophobic. Recruiting Japan-born women to work jobs that need bodies in them is far more likely than someone going "Lets go hire us some Chinese."
I'm not sure there are enough Japanese women to do the job even if you include those who are married. They could, you know, start having MALE nurses, but that's another situation where I start to wonder about the robots as an alternative.

edit: but in the end, I think many Japanese old people want their twilight years to be overseen by cute young Japanese women, no one else will do. They're gonna be really unhappy when they learn that that just isn't possible demographically.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 27, 2013

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
^^^ Recruiting Japanese women won't solve the problem, it'll just kick the can down the road. The only solution to the problem is to reverse their population decline. Turning this demographic crisis away is like turning a cruise ship; it won't happen in a few years. It'll take a generation to fix.

Bloodnose posted:

What I still don't understand is how Japan can have this culture of women staying in the home and have one of the world's lowest birth rates.

In the rest of Asia (and the rich world), the stresses of making a living and advancing careers and having tiny living space (I'm in Hong Kong) cuts down the birth rate. But why, when Japan gives all these benefits we just discussed to single-income households and do everything they can to keep women as home-making and (apparently literally called them?) baby machines, do they have such a problem making babies?
tl;dr: I place Japan's population problems at the feet of Japanese business practices.

The women that are working a career and able to stay home, are a percentage of the population. You still have a large number of women who may not be single, but aren't interested in settling down. In other words, no one is getting married. I believe the average age to get married is sitting around 27 years old for most women and 28 for guys. Why they aren't getting married is up for much debate. My theory is that many women want guys that that have full time jobs and decent salaries; two things which are becoming more and more difficult to come by. Lots of people get stuck working dispatch/temp jobs and they can't ever move out of those jobs into a full time company job due to the [ridiculous] way Japanese business hiring works. It probably wouldn't hurt to also set up ad campaigns encouraging people to get married and have kids as well. Other theories are that people are getting married but due to financial woes and the fact that kids are becoming more and more of a hassle to handle (daycare, school expenses, etc). Its not impossible to turn around your population decline, I believe it was Sweden that had a serious pop. problem, much like Japan, and through some policy changes they had people popping out babies all over the place.

Kenishi fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 27, 2013

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Bloodnose posted:

I couldn't tell you how big of an issue this is demographics-wise, but Japan is one of the most progressive countries on the planet in regards to abortion. Oral contraceptives were basically the result of a smear campaign back when they were first introduced (the condom industry is very powerful in Japan :v:) and even today, there's a weird stigma about the pill -- so abortion kind of ended up being a major method of contraception and still is today. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a ton of these women just axed her pregnancy if they happened to get knocked up.
(see: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2009/10/20/reference/abortion-still-key-birth-control/#.US2iE-ugkQU)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also childhood education in Japan costs $texas (once you include cram school, etc), so having few or no children may be a simple economic decision for many people.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: but in the end, I think many Japanese old people want their twilight years to be overseen by cute young Japanese women, no one else will do. They're gonna be really unhappy when they learn that that just isn't possible demographically.

Actually the patients and their families accepted and approved of the foreign nurses, naturally as they are the ones who feel the lack of care the most. The opposition was from the nurse's union and other health care special interest groups, for obvious reasons.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What's the perception of in vitro and artificial insemination like in Japan? What I'm wondering is whether gerontological birth rates will increase with accessible treatment.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

What's the perception of in vitro and artificial insemination like in Japan? What I'm wondering is whether gerontological birth rates will increase with accessible treatment.

This happened a couple of years ago.

With all the talk about careers and daycare, I'm curious to opinions on this: http://shisaku.blogspot.jp/2013/02/nonsense-in-new-york-times.html

The portrayal of the daycare situation is one of Michael Cucek's bugbears, so I knew as soon as I saw the New York Times article this morning he would have a response up today. The takeaway is that Tokyo births and daycare spaces are increasing, as the average age of mothers increases as well. As mothers tend to be older and therefore more career oriented, and as Tokyo is one of the only places in the country with an growing population, this puts additional pressure on the daycare system. The trends of increasing population and delay of first birth don't apply as much or at all to other prefectures and therefore the lack of daycare is mostly if not totally a Tokyo problem, and as Cucek (and I) like to point out, Tokyo is not synonymous with Japan.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Kenishi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9nr0rXVZko

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Lemmi Caution posted:

This happened a couple of years ago.

She's in the news again!

quote:

With all the talk about careers and daycare, I'm curious to opinions on this: http://shisaku.blogspot.jp/2013/02/nonsense-in-new-york-times.html

The portrayal of the daycare situation is one of Michael Cucek's bugbears, so I knew as soon as I saw the New York Times article this morning he would have a response up today. The takeaway is that Tokyo births and daycare spaces are increasing, as the average age of mothers increases as well. As mothers tend to be older and therefore more career oriented, and as Tokyo is one of the only places in the country with an growing population, this puts additional pressure on the daycare system. The trends of increasing population and delay of first birth don't apply as much or at all to other prefectures and therefore the lack of daycare is mostly if not totally a Tokyo problem, and as Cucek (and I) like to point out, Tokyo is not synonymous with Japan.

Oh I definitely think this is mostly a huge problem for big metro areas. But my point still stands about the reasons for such a shortage to even be occurring -- the pay sucks.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kenishi posted:

I'm pretty sure robots actually will be the solution to Japanese people not having sex. :roboluv:

...Sorry.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So why is putting kids in daycare not frowned upon, but hiring a baby-sitter is? Is this a regional thing? Also I know a lot of Japanese kids who don't go to cram school every day and some who go directly home after school without going to club activities, but this is also somewhat in the countryside so maybe some people don't care about it as much? I've noticed that Tokyo residents tend to be a bit more uptight about certain issues than residents of "the countryside" (everywhere else).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

z0glin Warchief posted:

Bonus horror: Since the discussion has been about kids and stuff, adoption sometimes comes up too. The general consensus seems to be that adoption is unnatural and parents of adopted kids must be forcing themselves.

Well, this should make my orphanage visits more fun :suicide:

Nah, I realize things must have gotten pretty bad for those kids not to be living with some sort of family over here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mercury_Storm posted:

So why is putting kids in daycare not frowned upon, but hiring a baby-sitter is? Is this a regional thing? Also I know a lot of Japanese kids who don't go to cram school every day and some who go directly home after school without going to club activities, but this is also somewhat in the countryside so maybe some people don't care about it as much? I've noticed that Tokyo residents tend to be a bit more uptight about certain issues than residents of "the countryside" (everywhere else).
I thought both day care and babysitters were considered neglecting your duty as a mother.

And yeah, I've heard stories of kids who didn't go to cram school yet still got into good colleges and got high paying jobs, but...well, I doubt cram schools would continue to exist if they didn't produce those results with much higher success rate than kids just going home early.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Kids are in daycare so their parents can work, which is socially acceptable. Babysitters for the purpose of parents enjoying themselves is not. Each family is different, though; I have some friends and coworkers who will leave the kids with their husband/parents/in-laws/other family to go out with friends or participate in a hobby group, while others can only get their relatives to watch the kids if it's for an unavoidable work function. I don't know anybody who pays a non-related babysitter to watch their kids though.

I also live in not-Tokyo, and not only is there not a daycare shortage here but there are plenty of different types of childcare available, for example there are a few 24/7 drop-in daycare centers, and some of the pediatric hospitals and clinics offer sick child daycare for parents who can't take time off for a sick child.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Reverend Cheddar posted:

I couldn't tell you how big of an issue this is demographics-wise, but Japan is one of the most progressive countries on the planet in regards to abortion. Oral contraceptives were basically the result of a smear campaign back when they were first introduced (the condom industry is very powerful in Japan :v:) and even today, there's a weird stigma about the pill -- so abortion kind of ended up being a major method of contraception and still is today. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a ton of these women just axed her pregnancy if they happened to get knocked up.
(see: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2009/10/20/reference/abortion-still-key-birth-control/#.US2iE-ugkQU)

That article is kind of misleading. Yes, abortion is legal in Japan - in cases of rape, incest, where it would cause damage to the mother's health, or for "socioeconomic circumstances" ie the big loophole that everyone uses. I would not go so far as to call Japan's implementation of abortion law progressive, nor would I call it, strictly speaking, "legal" without qualifying the statement.

Relevant Wikipedia article which explains it much better.

I also swear to god that condom use statistics for Japan are almost wholly a fabrication. You will absolutely never, ever convince me that more than like 10% of the sexually active population actually uses them.

LyonsLions posted:

I don't know anybody who pays a non-related babysitter to watch their kids though.

I only know one couple that does this, and they're both incredibly progressive, the wife being Canadian. The day where I could see a Japanese couple doing this is still pretty far off, I think.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah what's with Asian people not using condoms? Is sex ed just that bad here?