Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
The sprites look fine, really. I'd rather have unique art assets that have lots of character and charm then blocky 3-D models that are devoid of either. Sprites enable them to fit even more demons in, and that is always a good thing.

Looking forward to them finally including Xipe Totec, the Aztec god of agriculture and flayed skin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

TurnipFritter posted:

I'm not here to tell you how to feel. I'm saying that I feel the version of it that appears on the cover looks substantially better.

That's because Doi drew it, and those redesigns work a lot better when they have united art design. I'm actually digging the seraphs on the cover there.

Booky posted:

Oh. Well, that sucks. :smith:

Why would they deny it? The blog guy said in his post that it wasn't due to low sales, so was it a translation problem?

I'm sure it was something like, "We don't feel that EPP fits the 'feel' of our Persona image." :smug:

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

RentCavalier posted:

The sprites look fine, really. I'd rather have unique art assets that have lots of character and charm then blocky 3-D models that are devoid of either. Sprites enable them to fit even more demons in, and that is always a good thing.

Looking forward to them finally including Xipe Totec, the Aztec god of agriculture and flayed skin!

Gotta love the wonky models and animations they've been using since Nocturne (or earlier I don't know)! Seriously, rather than the art, I would like them to make new models for the demons/personas. Let's hope that happens for P5...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So with Soul Hackers coming out in a few months is there anything I need to know about it beforehand? Does anyone know if its bullshit hard or something?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

PonchAxis posted:

So with Soul Hackers coming out in a few months is there anything I need to know about it beforehand? Does anyone know if its bullshit hard or something?

You summon demons with guitars and saxophones.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

El Belmondo posted:

I'm sure it was something like, "We don't feel that EPP fits the 'feel' of our Persona image." :smug:

"The real market for Persona is dating, obviously!" :smug:

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Booky posted:

It's not our fault that adult themes and problems are simply too deep, so it's not coming over. :colbert:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

RentCavalier posted:

You summon demons with guitars and saxophones.

Sold.

e: Though I wonder if I should play the PS2 remake of devil summoner 1 first or if that even matters.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

PonchAxis posted:

It's actually really easy, but here are some questionable design decisions:
  • Demons are not guaranteed to follow your commands until you've maxed out their loyalty. To do this, you have to give them commands that match their personality type ("Kind" demons wants to cast healing/support spells or use the Guard command, "Smart" demons want to use attack magic, etc) or items as gifts. This is kind of tedious and is mitigated by the fact that you can temporarily alter a demon's personality using alcohol (make their personality "Kind", then stick them in the back row and just have them select the "Guard" command while you go through the dungeon). If nothing else, at least you can appreciate that they at least own up to the fact that they're disobeying orders out of contempt for you, unlike the P3 cast.
  • Having demons summoned in your party consumes MAG with every step. You obtain MAG after every battle, but it's also used as currency (kind of), so you can't just roll around with your highest level demons all the time.
  • Speaking of, demons don't gain levels. Always be fusing.
  • Your main character can't do poo poo besides attack with his sword or shoot with his gun, so that's pretty of lame.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

El Belmondo posted:

That's because Doi drew it, and those redesigns work a lot better when they have united art design. I'm actually digging the seraphs on the cover there.

It's more like, "We're a business, and we like our games to make money." Seriously, PSP is dead in the water, and I don't think IS did well.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

TurnipFritter posted:

[*]Your main character can't do poo poo besides attack with his sword or shoot with his gun, so that's pretty of lame.[/list]

This is something I really like about Nocturne. In a series where everyone has guns and swords, and a genre where people frequently weaponry taller than they are, the Demifiend is one of the biggest badasses of them all, shirtless and unarmed. It's not even a magic fist or a multi-ki-strike or anything. He just punches so hard you straight-up die.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cake Attack posted:

It's more like, "We're a business, and we like our games to make money." Seriously, PSP is dead in the water, and I don't think IS did well.

Well apparently they're even content with Growlanser sales, which I can't imagine was cheaper to localize than either P2 or sold better.

Kotaku Profile of Atlus USA posted:

"Back in the old days it was just retail," Pivnicny said. "Once it went out at regular price, ultimately it would get marked down. Nobody would really want more. But retailers now have online stores and some of them like to have back catalog, so we have a way now of continuing to rebuild the PSP games. And in fact, this month, this week, this day we're actually bringing in [PSP game Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time] into our distribution center. The majority of those are already sold.

"Also right now we're selling it digitally on the PlayStation Network. So it's not something we have to look at: well what's the launch quantity and that's it. One of the great things about many of our titles is that they do have a long period of life because sometimes the word of mouth is good... For us, sometimes the immediate first month is like okay. But then when we look back 6 or 12 months later it's like, ‘Oh, that's pretty good.' Re-orders for physical goods and orders online make it okay."

In addition to last year's Growlanser, an excellent strategy-RPG, Pivnicny also cites the stellar DS role-playing game Radiant Historia as a successful release that has continued to deliver for them. Even Persona 3 FES, a 2008 PlayStation 2 game, still sells copies every week.

"We can't operate the entire company on just [smaller PSP games like Growlanser and Gungnir]," Pivnicny said. "We do have to have something a little bit bigger than the really small niche game, but the mix is kind of interesting and fun."

And an Atlus representative has gone on record saying the decision not to localize P2:EP portable was not tied to pessimistic sales forecasts.

NichM on NeoGAF posted:

Nah, but I'm happy this is at least known now. I wrote a PSBlog article about it that will probably go up in a couple weeks, which touches on why the PSP version couldn't happen--and that's a "couldn't," not a "didn't," which is sadly all I'll ever really be able to say. It didn't have anything to do with fears of low sales.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tallgeese posted:

Turnip: I don't know, Raphael's among the worst of the redesigns. You cannot convince me that it looks good in any medium.

Though I do agree it looks "better" on the cover.

It's going to look strange when two demon portraits of vastly different art styles are next to each other on a battle screen.

Honestly though, what can you do? Hire a guy to redraw all of them? That'd take a long time, and I can't imagine the results would be that well received.

On Raphael: I really like the design principle of making angelic figures look like robots. The Seraphs were always pretty plain and due for a makeover, so I'm happy they got one at all, and I'm even happier that they get one like this, that looks really properly robotic while still retaining some obviously angelic features. The red color also makes it look a bit like muscle, which is an interesting appearance if a bit unrelated and unintentional.

And as to the vastly different art styles, I'd really like it if that were in some way directly tied to things. Like maybe different mythologies get different styles, or maybe that 'higher' figures like the Seraphs and gods of 'big' mythologies get modern designs while low-end stuff like fairies and other generally considered 'mortal' beings get dated designs. As it stands it's a bit slapdash, without any real connections, so it doesn't entirely work especially when the really old stuff turns up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Well apparently they're even content with Growlanser sales, which I can't imagine was cheaper to localize than either P2 or sold better.

And an Atlus representative has gone on record saying the decision not to localize P2:EP portable was not tied to pessimistic sales forecasts.

Huh, sure showed me. I have no idea then :iiam:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

What if all the copies of EPP just vanished into thin air when they tried translating it? :tinfoil:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Booky posted:

P2 was hardly free of romances.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Obviously P2:EP wasn't localized because their localization staff is currently in a all-hands-on-deck effort getting Persona 5 translated and ready for a simultaneous worldwide launch this fall.

(The real answer may be somewhat similar to this. Companies like Atlus USA don't have unlimited resources, and they have to pick and choose the products they want to localize. Sometimes that means passing over a project you know would be profitable in favor of a bigger project.)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Obviously P2:EP wasn't localized because their localization staff is currently in a all-hands-on-deck effort getting Persona 5 translated and ready for a simultaneous worldwide launch this fall.

(The real answer may be somewhat similar to this. Companies like Atlus USA don't have unlimited resources, and they have to pick and choose the products they want to localize. Sometimes that means passing over a project you know would be profitable in favor of a bigger project.)

It makes sense to me. We do have Soul Hackers just being finished and SMT4 needing localization. Then there's the Devil Survivor 2 project and Persona 3DS in the wings. Not to mention they could have some secret P4A dlc in the works.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dehry posted:

It makes sense to me. We do have Soul Hackers just being finished and SMT4 needing localization. Then there's the Devil Survivor 2 project and Persona 3DS in the wings. Not to mention they could have some secret P4A dlc in the works.

I think we still have every reason to assume there's a new Persona game in development for current or next-gen platforms as well, which will be a monumental localization effort when that comes around.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think we still have every reason to assume there's a new Persona game in development for current or next-gen platforms as well, which will be a monumental localization effort when that comes around.

Not that I find Dr. Video Games' theory unsound, but why would P5 be such a monumental localization effort? Are you expecting that much more text? Even if it has more spoken word, I don't think the required personnel would scale that much with the recording length.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dehry posted:

Is Persona 3DS still a thing? I remember hearing about it a long time ago as something they were doing but haven't heard anything since.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, any Europeans hoping to play Persona 4 Areana sometime in this lifetime should probably not hold much hope

The take from all this; they haven't submitted the Xbox 360 version for classification from Microsoft. PS3 is done but nope, they haven't even submitted the Xbox version.

I'm convinced this is some sort of sick joke and we're not actually going to get P4A.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 27, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ConanThe3rd posted:

The take from all this; they haven't submitted the Xbox 360 version for classification from Microsoft. PS3 is done but nope, they haven't even submitted the Xbox version.

For gently caress's sakes. You'd honestly have to try to be more of a useless piece of poo poo company than Zen. Oh but don't worry, we'll post some Persona 4 spoilers and image macros for you shitheads to eat up, do ho ho.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

For gently caress's sakes. You'd honestly have to try to be more of a useless piece of poo poo company than Zen. Oh but don't worry, we'll post some Persona 4 spoilers and image macros for you shitheads to eat up, do ho ho.

And don't forget their mainstay; posting pictures of that one disturbing revoltech Woody molesting Ageis.

Because that doesn't ever get loving old.

Changing one piece of code (Not loving joking about that, for the PS3 version at least, that's all they needed to do) and getting the game thrown at Sony and Microsoft to get the game out in a reasonable time-frame so region locking due to the retarded economics of Japan (We wouldn't be in this mess if some Japanese smartass sat down and realise that maybe charging exorbitant prices for, anything, really, is a bit stupid) doesn't sound like a bad idea?
Naw, gently caress that, let's just post inane bullshit for days on end. That will get us sales!

Course ATLUS, having learned NOTHING from this whole goddamned mess, are going to release EO4 and Soul Hackers with no idea if anyone will pick it up for PAL Distro (EO4 did, IIRC, but nothing on Soul Hackers) because that is how you win fans a devil may care attitude to localisation of Niche games when your core business is the localisation of niche games.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 27, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Not that I find Dr. Video Games' theory unsound, but why would P5 be such a monumental localization effort? Are you expecting that much more text? Even if it has more spoken word, I don't think the required personnel would scale that much with the recording length.

Persona 4 was probably Atlus USA's most time consuming and expensive localization effort to date, with the amount of VAs they had to hire and lines they had to record, and the sheer amount of text they had to translate. Compare that to every other Atlus game, which are usually quite minimalist in many ways, and rarely had any spoken dialog. Even if it's not a herculean effort compared to other console RPGs, it's a huge effort compared to other Atlus games. Having more voiced dialog might not require much more personnel, but it does require more money for the VAs' time. I'd like to think the studio would be better equipped for it now than they were in the P3 and P4 days, though. I also really doubt that they're going to do a simultaneous launch, I was only kidding around. But they're still probably going to devote some resources to it this year and they're currently devoting a lot of other resources elsewhere, like Dehry mentioned. Point being, sometimes you just gotta make a hard decision and choose which project to drop, even if they all look good.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 27, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ConanThe3rd posted:

So, any Europeans hoping to play Persona 4 Areana sometime in this lifetime should probably not hold much hope

I'm convinced this is some sort of sick joke and we're not actually going to get P4A.

Checking the FAQ on the Persona Europe website, it's not a matter of Zen submitting it. They have the PS3 version, but through some bizarre quirk of developmental structure or process, they haven't been given the 360 version.

I know just as much as everyone that this is bullshit. But blame the right people.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Checking the FAQ on the Persona Europe website, it's not a matter of Zen submitting it. They have the PS3 version, but through some bizarre quirk of developmental structure or process, they haven't been given the 360 version.

I know just as much as everyone that this is bullshit. But blame the right people.
I really don't loving care anymore. I want ATLUS to stop loving around, I want ZEN to stop loving around and I want Japan to not be stupid about this poo poo.

I don't even want the game anymore. I've given up on that!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 27, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Cleretic posted:

They have the PS3 version, but through some bizarre quirk of developmental structure or process, they haven't been given the 360 version.

So, they can't release the PS3 version because...? I'm probably not even going to bother with it at this point, because this is just really loving stupid of everyone involved, but I'm not seeing any reason for why they're just sitting on it either.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PonchAxis posted:

Is Persona 3DS still a thing? I remember hearing about it a long time ago as something they were doing but haven't heard anything since.

Was it specifically Persona or SMT? It could be one of the devil survivor games or Soul Hackers or something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Was it specifically Persona or SMT? It could be one of the devil survivor games or Soul Hackers or something.

Back when 3DS was first coming out it appeared in one of those "hey look at all these games we've got coming". Then Atlus proceeded to never talk about it again and put out P4G.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Man, i'm super bummed out about the final nail hitting P2EP's coffin. I mean, I knew it was going to happen, but still.

I guess this is the point where I might as well stop giving a poo poo about SMT games, since they're either regionlocked due to the 3DS being loving dumb, or they don't get translated at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dragonatrix posted:

So, they can't release the PS3 version because...? I'm probably not even going to bother with it at this point, because this is just really loving stupid of everyone involved, but I'm not seeing any reason for why they're just sitting on it either.

I imagine a simultaneous release is somewhere in the production contract.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dorroile posted:

Man, i'm super bummed out about the final nail hitting P2EP's coffin. I mean, I knew it was going to happen, but still.

I guess this is the point where I might as well stop giving a poo poo about SMT games, since they're either regionlocked due to the 3DS being loving dumb, or they don't get translated at all.

Regionlocks are dumb but P2EP is already in English, it's not a huge deal. If it bugs you that it's not the PSP version I bet someone will patch the English script into the JP PSP version, there's already a script it's not like they have to fan-translate.

The confirmation from Atlus that it won't happen just means someone will start work on it right away :v:

BTW if you're not in the US just consider importing a US 3DS and get 3DS games either digitally with US cards, or import them. Even though our default region in the Middle East is supposed to be EU, we get a lot of US imports. The store I go to sells only US 3DS games although the bigger chain stores stick to EU since it's the legitimate supply chain.

You'll pay a bit of a premium with shipping and such but EU games are already more expensive than US games.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The big problem is that a lot of people have been saying for years now "get ready to go back to the 16-bit era in terms of releases being skipped over". A lot of really, really stupid spending has hit companies in the wallet, and now bringing stuff to (region) isn't seen as something that can be fitted into the budget, but "how much do we think it'll sell to that audience? oh, like 12 guys? okay gently caress 'em". This poo poo's only gonna get worse before it gets better, and it probably won't just be portables within the next two years!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

The big problem is that a lot of people have been saying for years now "get ready to go back to the 16-bit era in terms of releases being skipped over". A lot of really, really stupid spending has hit companies in the wallet, and now bringing stuff to (region) isn't seen as something that can be fitted into the budget, but "how much do we think it'll sell to that audience? oh, like 12 guys? okay gently caress 'em". This poo poo's only gonna get worse before it gets better, and it probably won't just be portables within the next two years!

Which makes region locking even more retarded. It's no longer the 90's where Japanese games are the flights of fancy of magazines.

When people miss out on your rpg they'll know and they will render your flesh for it or, worse, pirate it.

I guarantee you people are making preparations to deal with soul hackers on pal 3DS and Inazuma Eleven on NTSC 3DS and buying the game is not in that plan.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Well we already don't get a lot of stuff from Japan but it's usually niche enough that most of us wouldn't notice. I would hope Digital Distribution alleviates that to some degree but I know it's done really poorly sometimes to cater to retailers.

If you take a look at Steam, publishing a game on there basically means a world-wide release with barely any extra effort - Then you have stuff like Nintendo publishing their own games in every market but still having basically random release dates (Japan in December! NA in Feb! EU in April! For this other game it'll be EU first!)

I wouldn't mind if small Japanese games were marketed as budget DD only games really.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

El Belmondo posted:

Thank you Index Corp (c) for preventing Eternal Punishment PSP in the US.

Can someone please explain what is the actual reason?
Who are Index Corp?

Edit: Ok, nobody knows the actual reason.

Edit 2:

ConanThe3rd posted:

I really don't loving care anymore. I want ATLUS to stop loving around, I want ZEN to stop loving around and I want Japan to not be stupid about this poo poo.

I don't even want the game anymore. I've given up on that!

I agree with you. I really wanted this game, and now I don't give a gently caress.
I wont support my region getting hosed, if I get it it'll be second hand.

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 27, 2013

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This is the dumbest. I feel like this whole region issue is ridiculously murky.

Particularly, as I understand it, there are all these really awesome laws about region locking in Australia. I was reading something a few years ago about how it's illegal to produce region locked product down here -- though that doesn't cover imports.

So what y'all need to do is export the console production industry to Australia. Obviously.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
I really hate the idea, but the 3ds putting Australia a month or two behind the states again has me contemplating the whole American 3ds angle. Australia might not even be getting soul hackers or SMTIV at all (but we could always get another amazing exclusive like hotel dusk or Xenoblade at any given time as well :v:). I mean when they can't even bother to simultaneously release bread and butter titles like the Mario games it doesn't enthuse you about the schedules for niche titles later down the road. DD should be the answer, but it's still so underutilized and if you live in a region with bare bones internet coverage (like I have to at the moment, woe is me :qq:) then you don't really have it as a serious option anyway. But the games industry being backwards in a bunch of weird ways is nothing new after all.

Also I am one of those oddballs who likes the new demons, even if one of them is just the main bad guy from shinkenger and Raphael's sprite is the worst thing in the world (even if I like his DESIGN on it's own). The persona games have had plenty of left field re-designs that worked on their own as well. New Archangles, new loki... maybe we'll finally get a non-lovely Odin (and they'll stop using the garbage DS Thor sprite, Jesus that thing is outdated)

Actually, with most of the recent Megaten antagonists being fairly underused deities or concepts in the series (Izanami, M.A., The akashic record, Brahman) It would be interesting to see the next one be the big ol' debut of Zeus in the series. Make it persona 5 and highlight the disparity between Zeus as a huge rear end in a top hat in myth to the spruced up Disney Zeus from pop culture. Like as a metaphor for the childhood ideals of adulthood versus reality? Or Maybe have him as a big ball of weird, conflicting, POTENTIAL deity that is kind and benevolent, but at the same time vile and unknowable. Hell, make the whole thing about platonic ideals, where he represents the perfect object to mankind's imperfect image of a real god, the deity equivalent to your persona's I guess. It even explains his really conspicuous absence from the series in universe, to an extent! But this is me just talking ~fanfiction~ out of my rear end at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I am all on board with the idea of bringing Zeus into the proper series, and he'd be one of the best figures for a conflict of public image vs. actual deeds. Although admittedly, he's a distant second to Jesus, who could also carry that story in a different way. Zeus couldn't be the focus of a Persona game, though; they seem to like focusing on different mythologies, and P3 already handled Greek.

...gently caress, I kept trying to say why a conflict between Real Jesus and Republican Jesus would be a bad Megaten game, but that would be a great game, with perhaps the best possible icons for Law against Chaos. Am I the only one that thinks that?