Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fooled twice, I'm not even British :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fivre posted:

I'm still not entirely convinced that the British users are secretly colluding to play an elaborate joke on us all.

I resent that. How could you even believe such a thing?

I am not British :colbert:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

KozmoNaut posted:

I resent that. How could you even believe such a thing?

My eleven-year-old daughter was laughing at the very idea of a sodium-and-eel salesman; what is WRONG with you people?

That's what happened to your mum!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Fooled twice, I'm not even British :smug:

KozmoNaut posted:

Luckily, I more than cancel that out.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I guess that's numberwang, then.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
...I did Google it just to be sure, but since there were no results I figured it was just an elaborate joke.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yes they do, that's why they need the separate compartments. Every car sold in the UK has to have those, they managed to get it into legislation sometime around the mid-70s.

Gotta be honest, when they started introducing the old people car segment I was slightly disappointed May had nothing to do with it, but it quickly won me over and the last feature more than made up for any lack of reasonable building of things there may have been. Looking forward to the two Africa episodes as well, the Botswana special was fantastic.

That's what I was trying to find out in my original question. Why? Is it a delicacy? Do people eat the combination?

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

bennyfactor posted:

Ambitious, but rubbish.

Someone always has to come along and ruin the fun:(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's no such thing as a sodium and eel salesman. It's a joke. Sodium as a free element is highly reactive. If placed in water, it explodes. Eeels live in water, they also thrash around and can splash the water. The joke is that the eel splashes the water over to the sodium and then the sodium explodes. Hilarity, why would a man sell both of these things? What a dumb salesman!

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

There's no such thing as a sodium and eel salesman. It's a joke. Sodium as a free element is highly reactive. If placed in water, it explodes. Eeels live in water, they also thrash around and can splash the water. The joke is that the eel splashes the water over to the sodium and then the sodium explodes. Hilarity, why would a man sell both of these things? What a dumb salesman!

I am not keen on British humor(humour?)

How about selling the items separately? 'ello I sell eels. Door to door.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
The second I started reading that, all I could think of was James May's Autocar prank.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cojawfee posted:

I was disappointed they didn't use actual sodium, but cheap pyrotechnics instead :(

Even just exposing elemental sodium to moisture in the atmosphere will cause it to react; it's usually stored in a bath of kerosene or something else that won't react with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAFcZo8dTcU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

grover posted:

I was disappointed they didn't use actual sodium, but cheap pyrotechnics instead :(

Even just exposing elemental sodium to moisture in the atmosphere will cause it to react; it's usually stored in a bath of kerosene or something else that won't react with it.

And this was, of course, brilliantly displayed in the MST3k tour de force Horror at Party Beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqAxcs9lC1U

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

b0nes posted:

I am not keen on British humor(humour?)

How about selling the items separately? 'ello I sell eels. Door to door.

Would work better than having to sell doors, door to door.

"Bing Bong; Hello, can I interest you in a- oh poo poo you've got one already haven't you? Well never mind..."

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Kidney Stone posted:

Would work better than having to sell doors, door to door.

"Bing Bong; Hello, can I interest you in a- oh poo poo you've got one already haven't you? Well never mind..."

I also enjoy the comedy of Bill Bailey.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

grover posted:

Looked real enough to me. Blocks of sodium don't react violently with water vapor in the air because they have a low surface area so the outer surface becomes oxidized. In the video you linked, they are probably throwing around 1kg or maybe more into that small pond and as a single large block so it reacts more slowly.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
The last episode of Top Gear US was pretty great, at the end they raced the McLaren MP4 against a NASCAR car, which was loving amazing to watch.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

VolumeOverTalent posted:

Speaking of which when they introduced James McAvoy and Hammond tried to claim he'd kissed Angelina Jolie, I really would have expected some kind of callback to when Bill Bailey entered the Reasonably Priced Car list under that alias. Alas.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have also seen Kiera Knightley naked.

In my mind :allears:

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

VolumeOverTalent posted:

Exactly! He's bloody brilliant :)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Measly Twerp posted:

The last episode of Top Gear US was pretty great, at the end they raced the McLaren MP4 against a NASCAR car, which was loving amazing to watch.

That was one of the best ideas they've had in any Top Gear, be it US or UK.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Stealth Like posted:

Looked real enough to me. Blocks of sodium don't react violently with water vapor in the air because they have a low surface area so the outer surface becomes oxidized. In the video you linked, they are probably throwing around 1kg or maybe more into that small pond and as a single large block so it reacts more slowly.

I work with Sodium. Top Gear didn't use Sodium.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jut posted:

I work with Sodium. Top Gear didn't use Sodium.

Fair enough, my only experience with it is calling EHS to remove a block of it in a jar that had been sitting in someones lab for probably 15 years and was no longer fully submersed.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

There are reports that the Hwira, Huhwire, Hyura new Pagani that set the TG power lap record was using specially prepared tyres:

Jalopnik posted:

The Top Gear photos show the tires that the Huayra was wearing on the day of the test. Per Pagani's website, the Huayra comes with Pirelli P-Zero tires that measure 255/35ZR19 in the front and 335/30ZR20 out back. The Huayra on Top Gear had front tires labeled as 265/645 19, which is not a normal size for a road tire.

Another Pagani has tires that size. They are Pirelli P-Zero slicks that Pagani says were specifically designed for the Zonda R.

The tires on the car at Top Gear's track do have a tread pattern, but it is vastly different from the pattern on the tires the Huayra is supposed to have. It actually resembles the shallow tread of a Formula One intermediate rain tire.
Remember the only rule of the TG Powerlap:
They have to be road legal. That means they need to be able to go over speed bumps (hence why the Caparo T1 was disqualified) and have to be wearing treaded tires (hence why the Ferrari FXX was disqualified).

Wonder if anything will come of this!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Aren't they just some cut slicks like R888s or corsas which are legal?

NorchaiOdd
Feb 21, 2013

Foehammer007 posted:

Yes, he did drive the Evoque through Death Valley, but this was not just some sand and a bit of rocks, it was actually done really well, plus the cool truck he had to race that kept..trucking along?

But not everyone is going to like it. :cheers:

It was great, full AI control truck vs. Captain Slow with the New Land Rover. Land Rover has improved a lot from the design, weight, and dynamic terrain control.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Measly Twerp posted:

The taxi "tests" were also really, really funny. Running over the blow-up alien was pretty great.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Cojawfee posted:

Sodium as a free element is highly reactive. If placed in water, it explodes.
No actually it won't always. In fact a show that Richard Hammond hosted actually had trouble with the old sodium trick because if placed into too much water it just produces hydorgen without the corresponding boom.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Kenshin posted:

The taxi "tests" were also really, really funny. Running over the blow-up alien was pretty great.

Australian dude getting subtitles was pretty funny too.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

MadScientistWorking posted:

No actually it won't always. In fact a show that Richard Hammond hosted actually had trouble with the old sodium trick because if placed into too much water it just produces hydorgen without the corresponding boom.

It wasn't sodium he was using, he was going for the cesium and rubidium in water thing...it didn't produce the 'expected' result so they rigged the kit up with explosives instead...and solidified a chemistry misconception into the mind of children everywhere.

Interestingly enough thought, when you drop sodium and potassium into water, there is a detonation BEFORE the hydrogen/air combustion. I'm not sure why though :/ It can be seen with a high speed camera...

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Kenshin posted:

My kids were giggling throughout that whole thing. I think Top Gear US is more kid-friendly as it's sillier and a bit less...subtle?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

captainOrbital posted:

I think Top Gear US is more kid-friendly as it's sillier and a bit less...subtle?

American TV has no room for subtlety.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

captainOrbital posted:

My kids were giggling throughout that whole thing. I think Top Gear US is more kid-friendly as it's sillier and a bit less...subtle?

What, do they just scream "BIG FAT COCKS" instead of "gentleman sausage"?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I think we've all just seen how eel-based English humour can fly over some people's heads.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

captainOrbital posted:

I think we've all just seen how eel-based English humour can fly over some people's heads.

But, my hovercraft is full of them! :ohdear:

NorchaiOdd
Feb 21, 2013

fivre posted:

What, do they just scream "BIG FAT COCKS" instead of "gentleman sausage"?

Lol, Top Gear US doesn't have the humor. Most of the jokes are plain and stupid. Plus, the Big Stars in Small Cars is the worst part of the show. They don't really talk about the guess's cars and history. They just drive in a half rear end track.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

NorchaiOdd posted:

Lol, Top Gear US doesn't have the humor. Most of the jokes are plain and stupid. Plus, the Big Stars in Small Cars is the worst part of the show. They don't really talk about the guess's cars and history. They just drive in a half rear end track.

I think they're done with guests and the studio audience and all that. They haven't done it since last season and now they're 11 episodes into the new one without it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
They seem to have realized that the most "Americanizable" segments are the challenges, and there's enough of a history to pick through from UK that they can probably get another full season just out of doing that. The sad state of our automotive media is it's still pretty much the best car show on American TV (assuming one wants at least some entertainment, obviously Motorweek has mastered the dry, factual review over the last few decades).

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

wolrah posted:

... obviously Motorweek has mastered the dry, factual review over the last few decades).

And the art of speaking like a TV used car lot voiceover all the time. Even when it's not appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

That was one of the best ideas they've had in any Top Gear, be it US or UK.

YES! This is the first TGUSA episode that I can honestly say I really enjoyed. That was pretty cool that LVPD let them go crazy in the streets like that.