Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Stealthgerbil posted:

I think I hosed up big time setting up a linux server. Nothing is supposed to be run under the root account right?

Well...
http://pastebin.com/Mbrr98mN

yes kill init immediately that is a virus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

fivre posted:

yes kill init immediately that is a virus

quick someone type killall on the solaris box!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
To be sure you get everything, try logging in as root and use 'kill -9 -1'. That'll make sure you get to your desired 'no untidy root stuff' in one easy command.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Goon Matchmaker posted:

quick someone type killall on the solaris box!

I have actually intentionally used killall on AIX :3

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Suspicious Dish posted:

The standard way to measure idle time is using the completely undocumented IDLETIME XSync counter. Because I'm feeling generous today, here's a simple example program: http://magcius.mecheye.net/random/xalarm.c

Compile it using the line on the top, and then run:

$ ./xalarm 2000

or so on to wait for 2000 milliseconds of idle time. You can use this to loop with bash. It doesn't actively use any resources -- it simply waits in poll for the event to come from the X server.

Nice. I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I have a compiling problem that I don't know how to solve.

code:
$ CFLAGS="$(pkg-config --cflags --libs x11 xext) -Wall -Werror" make xalarm
cc  -lX11 -lXext   -Wall -Werror    xalarm.c   -o xalarm
/tmp/cc25aGg5.o: In function `find_idletime_counter':
xalarm.c:(.text+0x22): undefined reference to `XSyncListSystemCounters'
xalarm.c:(.text+0xcb): undefined reference to `XSyncFreeSystemCounterList'
/tmp/cc25aGg5.o: In function `set_alarm':
xalarm.c:(.text+0xf5): undefined reference to `XSyncIntToValue'
xalarm.c:(.text+0x13d): undefined reference to `XSyncIntsToValue'
xalarm.c:(.text+0x159): undefined reference to `XSyncCreateAlarm'
/tmp/cc25aGg5.o: In function `init_xsync':
xalarm.c:(.text+0x17c): undefined reference to `XSyncQueryExtension'
xalarm.c:(.text+0x1bf): undefined reference to `XSyncInitialize'
/tmp/cc25aGg5.o: In function `main':
xalarm.c:(.text+0x287): undefined reference to `XOpenDisplay'
xalarm.c:(.text+0x2e2): undefined reference to `XNextEvent'
xalarm.c:(.text+0x326): undefined reference to `XCloseDisplay'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [xalarm] Error 1
I thought I had the appropriate packages installed. I have both /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h and /usr/include/X11/extensions/sync.h

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Nice. I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, I have a compiling problem that I don't know how to solve.

Gah, --as-needed strikes again. Try:

code:
$ CFLAGS="$(pkg-config --cflags x11 xext) -Wall -Werror" LDLIBS="$(pkg-config --libs x11 xext)" make xalarm

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Suspicious Dish posted:

Gah, --as-needed strikes again. Try:

code:
$ CFLAGS="$(pkg-config --cflags x11 xext) -Wall -Werror" LDLIBS="$(pkg-config --libs x11 xext)" make xalarm

Works great, I appreciate it!

drat you for being so awesome.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've got my Grand Theft Auto IV installation (in windows) all modded up, which is an unnecessarily tedious and complicated process. What I want to do is compare the modded directory to a backup of the vanilla directory, and then create a patch consisting of all files which have changed or appeared in the modded installation which I can just dump onto a fresh install to get back to where I want to be. Windows doesn't have the tools for this as far as I'm aware, so I'm trying to do it in Cygwin. I'm bad at linux but I think google has steered me close to where I want to be:

quote:

$ diff -q -r --unidirectional-new-file /cygdrive/e/mods/GTA\ 4/untouched\ directory/Grand\ Theft\ Auto\ IV/ /cygdrive/c/SteamMoved/Grand\ Theft\ Auto\ IV/ | sed "s/^.* and \/cygdrive\/c\/SteamMoved\/Grand\\ Theft\\ Auto\\ IV\/\(.*\) differ/\1/"
GTAIV/1_1_3_0/RGSC.exe
GTAIV/1_1_3_0/RGSCData.dll
GTAIV/1_1_3_0/RGSCGames.dll
GTAIV/1_1_3_0/RGSCNews.dll
GTAIV/1_1_3_0/RGSCSocial.dll
GTAIV/1_1_3_0/RGSCUpdates.dll
GTAIV/1_1_3_0/RGSCUtil.dll
GTAIV/1_1_3_0/RGSCWorkflows.dll
GTAIV/binkw32.dll
GTAIV/common/data/cdimages/script.img
GTAIV/common/data/cdimages/script_network.img
GTAIV/common/data/fonts.dat
GTAIV/common/data/fonts_r.dat

...which is to say, I think I'm correctly listing all of the files I care about with the relevant bits of the path.

This is where I hit the brick wall, because I can't get that output to pipe anywhere. Adding "> out.txt" produces an empty file. Adding "| tee out.txt" to the end produces an empty file and a blank screen. In both case it chugs, though, like it's working. I don't get it.

And beyond that, assuming I can pipe the output into something, I'm not sure how to make it preserve the directory structure. Piping it into cp by way of xargs would just flatten the directory structure by default. I think --parents might be the ticket but without being able to pipe the output I can't very well test that.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 27, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Try diff <your args> 2>&1 | tee output.txt

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Edit: nm, may be making a bad assumption here

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Saint Darwin posted:

Try diff <your args> 2>&1 | tee output.txt

diff <your args> |& tee output.txt

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Neither of those work :downs:, it just does the same thing with no output to anywhere.

e: This is just bizarre now. I tried launching cygwin from the Windows command line with a pipe, hoping to just dump everything from the terminal (also it turns out Win7 has a tee command, and I tried that too). The results are exactly the loving same. If I launch cygwin with no pipe, the output scrolls down the screen. If I launch cygwin with a pipe to anywhere, the same command produces no output to anywhere.

ee: so it turns out that, for whatever reason, with a pipe it wants to wait 5+ minutes before starting any output. Without a pipe the output is instant; with the pipe it spends at least 5+ minutes comparing files before starting the output. :cripes:

eee: All sorted :toot:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 28, 2013

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

What controls how http links from, say, Spotify, are handled when a DE isn't present? Currently they're opening up Chrome, but I usually use Firefox and would like to change that.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Neither of those work :downs:, it just does the same thing with no output to anywhere.

e: This is just bizarre now. I tried launching cygwin from the Windows command line with a pipe, hoping to just dump everything from the terminal (also it turns out Win7 has a tee command, and I tried that too). The results are exactly the loving same. If I launch cygwin with no pipe, the output scrolls down the screen. If I launch cygwin with a pipe to anywhere, the same command produces no output to anywhere.

ee: so it turns out that, for whatever reason, with a pipe it wants to wait 5+ minutes before starting any output. Without a pipe the output is instant; with the pipe it spends at least 5+ minutes comparing files before starting the output. :cripes:

eee: All sorted :toot:

In case anybody else is wondering, pipes are buffered which is why it was taking so long for output to show. You can use unbuffer to get rid of it entirely or use stdbuf to tweak the values.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/unbuffer
http://linux.die.net/man/1/stdbuf

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Longinus00 posted:

In case anybody else is wondering, pipes are buffered which is why it was taking so long for output to show. You can use unbuffer to get rid of it entirely or use stdbuf to tweak the values.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/unbuffer
http://linux.die.net/man/1/stdbuf

I think this came up earlier in the thread when I was having issues piping ping through perl, but didn't know there was a way around it. Cool.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

A quick partitioning question for Ubuntu Server 12.04. I have 2x120GB SSDsn and 2x2TB SATA drives.

I'm looking to go with RAID 0 for both, with the OS on the SATA drives and the SSDs as a separate partition. (I know RAID 0 is suicide, the files can be lost if the server dies)

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Roving Reporter posted:

A quick partitioning question for Ubuntu Server 12.04. I have 2x120GB SSDsn and 2x2TB SATA drives.

I'm looking to go with RAID 0 for both, with the OS on the SATA drives and the SSDs as a separate partition. (I know RAID 0 is suicide, the files can be lost if the server dies)

What's your question?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

The breaking down of the partitions, just to make sure I'm doing it right. Right now I have

MOUNTING POINT

/ PRIMARY EXT 4 RAID 1 2000MB
swap PRIMARY SWAP RAID 1 512MB
/home PRIMARY EXT4 RAID 0 Rest of SATA drives

How would I go about adding the SSDs in?

'/SSD Drives' in RAID 0 EXT 4? Seems too simple.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you put the OS on the SSD programs load faster, it boots faster, etc.

Putting your swap on SSD will make swap hits minimal.

Putting your home directories on SSD will make your files fast! That's what's important, right?

I'd stick everything on the SSD's except music/movies/ISO's. But then again, it's nice to have downloads or ISO's on SSD so it's fast when you work with them.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

True. I'm trying to take advantage of a 1Gbit pipe, since the platter drives won't max it out for ISO uploading.

So my mount structure looks okay? I figure I can mess around with the OVH re-install panel if necessary.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Roving Reporter posted:

The breaking down of the partitions, just to make sure I'm doing it right. Right now I have

MOUNTING POINT

/ PRIMARY EXT 4 RAID 1 2000MB
swap PRIMARY SWAP RAID 1 512MB
/home PRIMARY EXT4 RAID 0 Rest of SATA drives

How would I go about adding the SSDs in?

'/SSD Drives' in RAID 0 EXT 4? Seems too simple.
I would consider making the / mount point a little larger in case you ever decide to do a release upgrade with aptitude so that /var/cache/apt/ has space. Then again nothing stops you from symlinking /var/cache/apt to a folder on /home just for an upgrade.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I am building (or repurposing) a machine as a generic headless server, DNS + tier2 hypervisor stuff to host 2-3 VMs... I was thinking Ubuntu but everything there is 2010-2011 era documentation for Xen, most of the new stuff says "KVM for CentOS5 and 6, with some support for ubuntu/xen" at best. Also, while I know Ubuntu fairly well, it's not really a marketable job skill the way CentOS/RHEL is.

So I am looking at CentOS 6 or Scientific Linux 6 running KVM

Rumor has it that CentOS is slow to get out security fixes and bugpatches, especially compared to SciLinux. Is this still true? I don't want to have to translate all the CentOS FAQs in to SciLinux-speak for the next 2-3 years. Thoughts?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 28, 2013

dunkan
Jul 10, 2006

rage is everywhere

Hadlock posted:

I am building (or repurposing) a machine as a generic headless server, DNS + tier2 hypervisor stuff to host 2-3 VMs... I was thinking Ubuntu but everything there is 2010-2011 era documentation for Xen, most of the new stuff says "KVM for CentOS5 and 6, with some support for ubuntu/xen" at best. Also, while I know Ubuntu fairly well, it's not really a marketable job skill the way CentOS/RHEL is.

Rumor has it that CentOS is slow to get out security fixes and bugpatches, especially compared to SciLinux. Is this still true? I don't want to have to translate all the CentOS FAQs in to SciLinux-speak for the next 2-3 years. Thoughts?

If you are doing this for marketable skills reasons, CentOS is a great choice. It seems to be pretty popular in the enterprise and we run it pretty exclusively on our production machines. Security patches are not super frequent, but in production environments rolling out security fixes is a slow process anyhow.

Also I'm assuming you are going to use Xen on the baremetal then CentOS/whatever on top of that.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Roving Reporter posted:

Do you really need 240GB of space in raid 0 for the OS? Why don't you figure out a sensible partitioning scheme and use that instead of resorting to using raid 0? e.g, /usr on one SSD and / on the other? ect...

Roving Reporter posted:

True. I'm trying to take advantage of a 1Gbit pipe, since the platter drives won't max it out for ISO uploading.

Are you sure? Even my old 1.5tb drives do ~120MB/s, which is right around the limits of gigabit ethernet.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd go with KVM anyhow, maybe even sprinkle some oVirt on top.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hadlock posted:

Xen still works fine, and CentOS isn't really any slower than Redhat with security fixes and bug patches. Scientific 6 came out a long time before CentOS 6, but they're pretty much back to parity.

If you want to use virt-manager, either KVM or Xen works fine (I'd recommend KVM anyway).

If you want something friendlier, oVirt is an excellent choice.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CentOS used to be slower, but they catched up. Nowadays the CentOS-announce is not far behind red hats

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
It was pretty cool when Karanbir Singh disappeared and nobody saw or heard from him or the CentOS Project for six months.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
How would I go about troubleshooting my sendmail configuration (well, using ssmtp) on my localhost LAMP set-up on my desktop. OS is Arch and I know the script is fine, that leaves a step between the PHP mail() function (which is returning true) and the ssmtp send (which seems to work if I use terminal to send the message).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Master_Odin posted:

How would I go about troubleshooting my sendmail configuration (well, using ssmtp) on my localhost LAMP set-up on my desktop. OS is Arch and I know the script is fine, that leaves a step between the PHP mail() function (which is returning true) and the ssmtp send (which seems to work if I use terminal to send the message).

Logs would be a good starting point. It should log to syslog (check /etc/rsyslog.conf or whatever your logger is to find out where).

Alternatively, wrap the binary with a trivial shell script that logs.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Hadlock posted:

CentOS was slow with 6.0 and 6.1 I think, but they took their time to redo their entire build system from scratch. I think the main devs pretty much locked themselves in a cave and didn't emerge until it was done, not even to give a status update which caused a lot of confusion etc. But now that the new system is in place they are much faster at getting releases/updates out. For instance RHEL6.4 was released a few days ago and CentOS6.4 is in testing/available in some advance release repos. Official CentOS6.4 should be out very soon.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah, if CentOS has shaken their reputation for slow security updates, that solves that problem.

Xen sounds great for paravirtualization, but if CentOS moved to KVM, it seems like a waste of time to learn a depreciated system when everyone is already in the process of moving to "the new shiny" that is KVM.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

evol262 posted:

Logs would be a good starting point. It should log to syslog (check /etc/rsyslog.conf or whatever your logger is to find out where).

Alternatively, wrap the binary with a trivial shell script that logs.
That's what I get for only looking at access_log and completely forgetting error_log. Thanks for reminding me that's a thing. :blush:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Yeah, if CentOS has shaken their reputation for slow security updates, that solves that problem.

Xen sounds great for paravirtualization, but if CentOS moved to KVM, it seems like a waste of time to learn a depreciated system when everyone is already in the process of moving to "the new shiny" that is KVM.

This is pretty much what I'm seeing. All the big boys are using KVM now. Added benefit is that you don't need a specially adapted kernel on your guests.

No no serious
Mar 24, 2010

It's working
Dynamic tiling windows managers: I've been flitting back and forth between dwm, awesome, and XMonad. Dwm looks ugly to me and seems to lack really good taskbar customization, awesome is unstable and screen flickery, and xmonad - I am too old to learn a language like haskell.

Are there any others worth looking at that allow heavy customization, will make me feel like a l33t ha><0r, and don't require a masters in comp sci to configure?

E: or alternatively, any thoughts on turning openbox into a part time tiling wm using pytyle? Has anyone here done this, and is it any good?

No no serious fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 1, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess I asked these questions in reverse, but what kind of software (packages) am I looking at for CentOS/KVM? I am looking at running three linux headless servers, two linux desktops, an android 4.0 x86 vm, and two to three windows desktops (probably win7 enterprise). All idling, for the most part.

Is there a particularly good web-based management KVM system out there? I am seeing oVirt mentioned twice already, and is developed by RH so that's a good vote.

AWS runs on Xen though, right?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah oVirt is kinda buggy but now RedHat is behind it it has improved drastically. I'd say give it a spin.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Hadlock posted:

I guess I asked these questions in reverse, but what kind of software (packages) am I looking at for CentOS/KVM? I am looking at running three linux headless servers, two linux desktops, an android 4.0 x86 vm, and two to three windows desktops (probably win7 enterprise). All idling, for the most part.

Is there a particularly good web-based management KVM system out there? I am seeing oVirt mentioned twice already, and is developed by RH so that's a good vote.

How much management do you need? oVirt is really intended for installations where you're managing multiple (physical) machines. If you're running everything on just one computer then oVirt is going to be overkill compared to just using libvirt/virt manager.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

No no serious posted:

Dynamic tiling windows managers: I've been flitting back and forth between dwm, awesome, and XMonad. Dwm looks ugly to me and seems to lack really good taskbar customization, awesome is unstable and screen flickery, and xmonad - I am too old to learn a language like haskell.

Are there any others worth looking at that allow heavy customization, will make me feel like a l33t ha><0r, and don't require a masters in comp sci to configure?

E: or alternatively, any thoughts on turning openbox into a part time tiling wm using pytyle? Has anyone here done this, and is it any good?

I use i3wm and love it, but it's not "dynamic". When I was looking for a window manager, my only real requirements were that it had plain text config files and had good documentation. It turns out that if you don't want to configure your window manager in a programming language and don't want to have to tediously search through mailing lists or reask basic config questions in IRC, there isn't much of a selection.

The i3 user guide is awesome, if you leave it open for the first couple of days while you adapt and learn about it, you should have no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hadlock posted:

AWS runs Xen, yeah. Xen's mainline, and it's not going away, but the use cases for it are getting smaller and smaller.

Longinus00 posted:

How much management do you need? oVirt is really intended for installations where you're managing multiple (physical) machines. If you're running everything on just one computer then oVirt is going to be overkill compared to just using libvirt/virt manager.

An all-in-one oVirt setup may still offer the most functionality. virt-manager is fine, but if you add another server and you want HA/migration, decide that you want policy controls on user access, or anything else moderately complicated, oVirt will scale out where virt-manager will fall on its face.