Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Green Puddin posted:

Hey, I'm considering buying a Wii U. Right now I'm a bit spoiled with my other consoles setups; I use their RCA cables for audio and HDMI for video. Makes it easier on plugging headphones in through RCA, or switch to my speakers if I don't want to wear those. Does the Wii U currently support this?

It's worth noting that the gamepad has its own headphone jack that takes standard headphones, and very often the gamepad audio is the same as the TV (but not always).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ImpactVector posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how useless are my regular Wiimotes? I've got a full set of 4 of them (and 4 nunchucks) from my Wii that I never upgraded. I'd like to have multiplayer available for Nintendo Land and such and it sounds like 2 of the games require M+. Are they any good? What about any of the other Wii/Wii U games out there?

Also, I think I've read somewhere that the attachments are kind of flaky and it's better to get the remotes with built in M+. Is that the case or am I misremembering?

I mostly bought the console for Monster Hunter, but I figure that since I dropped a bunch of money on the system I might as well make use of it (by possibly dropping a bunch more money on it :downs:).

You can use your regular Wiimotes on any Wii game that doesn't require Motion+, Wii Virtual Console games and Wii Shop purchases. So not totally useless. But I would expect Wii U games that support Wiimotes would need Motion+.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can use your regular Wiimotes on any Wii game that doesn't require Motion+, Wii Virtual Console games and Wii Shop purchases. So not totally useless. But I would expect Wii U games that support Wiimotes would need Motion+.

It isn't consistent. Individual games within Nintendo land both require Motion+ and don't require it, and New Super Mario Bros U doesn't use it at all.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think you can expect developers to be more confident about requiring Motion+ going forward, but games still won't require the addon where it doesn't make any sense (like NSMBU).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Nintendo is the only company that will use Wiimotes at all without it being an afterthought, alternate control to pro for fps, or conduit to a classic controller.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

greatn posted:

I think Nintendo is the only company that will use Wiimotes at all without it being an afterthought, alternate control to pro for fps, or conduit to a classic controller.

Even Monster Hunter 3U doesnt support the Wii Remote, eventhough the remote/nunchuck control scheme already existed in the Wii version of the game. The gently caress

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You know with Nintendo salvaging Bayonetta 2. I really have to wonder how much money it would take for them to convince Square Enix to do a Final Fantasy 7 remake and have it be a Wii-U exclusive.

You can debate the sales of Bayonetta, Mad World, and Bayonetta 2. But a Final Fantasy 7 remake would crush anything in it's path.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Square isn't not making FFVII because of money. They know its a cash cow.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
They're too busy pimping their new engine from E3 on Sony hardware anyway.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

WendigoJohnson posted:

You know with Nintendo salvaging Bayonetta 2. I really have to wonder how much money it would take for them to convince Square Enix to do a Final Fantasy 7 remake and have it be a Wii-U exclusive.

You can debate the sales of Bayonetta, Mad World, and Bayonetta 2. But a Final Fantasy 7 remake would crush anything in it's path.

I now want this to happen, extremely unlikely though it may be, because the reaction would be beyond hilarious

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zeeman posted:

I now want this to happen, extremely unlikely though it may be, because the reaction would be beyond hilarious

You must learn to dream bigger darling.

Kingdom Hearts III: Coming exclusively to XBox 720.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Zeeman posted:

This has always been my dream. Of course Sony would just fire back with getting FFVI exclusive to PS4 and that's a bigger loss to me :argh:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

WendigoJohnson posted:

Hah, there's no way they're doing it, but that would actually be a really super brilliant move on Nintendo's part.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Turning to actual games that currently exist, I bought Runner 2, and the additions of difficulty levels and optional checkpoints and alternate paths is making this much more enjoyable and less frustrating to me than the first game, and off screen play is a great bonus. Also, you can dance!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zeeman posted:

Turning to actual games that currently exist, I bought Runner 2, and the additions of difficulty levels and optional checkpoints and alternate paths is making this much more enjoyable and less frustrating to me than the first game, and off screen play is a great bonus. Also, you can dance!

The option of characters dancing is something I love a little too much in videogames. Spent a lot of my Jet Set Radio Future playtime doing that. I'll probably grab Runner 2 when it hits Europe on Thursday.

Alcholism Rocks
Jan 5, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Maybe what Nintendo should do is create something like '3D Movie Maker' for the Wii U, featuring Nintendo characters.

You could make a movie where Princess Toadstool and Samus Aran take a huge poo poo on the floor, then Pikachu picks up the poo poo and stuffs it in Princess Toadstool's mouth. Then the Princess would vomit it up into Samus' mouth, and then Samus would start vomiting and making GBS threads at the same time, and Pikachu would rub all that nastiness all over himself, then have sex with Samus.

Or they could do the boring thing and make Yoshi's Island 2: The Yarnening.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Alcholism Rocks posted:

Maybe what Nintendo should do is create something like '3D Movie Maker' for the Wii U, featuring Nintendo characters.

You could make a movie where Princess Toadstool and Samus Aran take a huge poo poo on the floor, then Pikachu picks up the poo poo and stuffs it in Princess Toadstool's mouth. Then the Princess would vomit it up into Samus' mouth, and then Samus would start vomiting and making GBS threads at the same time, and Pikachu would rub all that nastiness all over himself, then have sex with Samus.

What are you on?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

gamefaqs.txt returns

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Alcholism Rocks posted:

Oh ok. become one with the ninten420 I understand

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Alcholism Rocks posted:

The Aristocrats!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Look just saying, if you see a Mii whose most used application of Swapnote it's probably Alcoholism Rocks.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

citizenlowell posted:

We should start a club. I'm really hoping the Wii U version of Revelations does well enough that Capcom decides to do something unique with the RE IP and the Wii U. It's wishful thinking, but after playing ZombiU there are a lot of need things the pad could be used for in an RE game, even if it were just inventory Tetris.
I have a feeling they'd do something like another on rails RE Chronicles game with a request for "something unique" for Wii U.

(...now I want a Frank West game using the gamepad as a camera)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bobnumerotres posted:

What are you on?

I'm gonna guess it's probably a drunk post.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WendigoJohnson posted:

This isn't 2002 anymore and a lot of people have never played Final Fantasy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

computer parts posted:

This isn't 2002 anymore and a lot of people have never played Final Fantasy.

Yeah I think they waited way too long and that ship has sailed. If it's not the call of duties and halos it is not a "cash cow."

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It's not like all of us 20-somethings and 30-somethings who played it and loved it have died or stopped playing video games. It would still sell insanely well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

big mean giraffe posted:

It's not like all of us 20-somethings and 30-somethings who played it and loved it have died or stopped playing video games. It would still sell insanely well.

It would sell decently as an absolute figure assuming no console restrictions, probably. For the Wii-U, a lot of the base are either young enough that they never played it (ie, they're either around 15 or they never played the game when they were 3), or old enough that they didn't get into video games until the last generation. In addition, it's sold about 10 million copies in 13 years; it probably needs to sell at least 1/3 of that in about 1 year for a 'real' remake (ie, not a 3DS thing).

Basically, you need just about everyone who bought it for their PSX to both have a Wii-U, and want to buy it as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WendigoJohnson posted:

Remaking Final Fantasy VII isn't as simple as "update and done". They'd essentially have to rebuild the game from scratch (it was a PS1 game on a custom-made engine after all) and as it's a 50-hour jrpg, that's a multi-year development cycle. Squeenix would have to cripple their other projects to get sufficient money and manpower on it. "Remaking" something like the newer Tomb Raider games or No More Heroes is a lot simpler, partly because the games are far shorter, and because the game engines tend to be ones that can work on current-gen consoles.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

They can just use one of their many existing RPG engines, but yeah. It's not something they can just poop out in a few months, it would be a major project.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Plus it would never, ever be good enough for the insane fandom.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Remaking Final Fantasy VII isn't as simple as "update and done". They'd essentially have to rebuild the game from scratch (it was a PS1 game on a custom-made engine after all) and as it's a 50-hour jrpg, that's a multi-year development cycle. Squeenix would have to cripple their other projects to get sufficient money and manpower on it. "Remaking" something like the newer Tomb Raider games or No More Heroes is a lot simpler, partly because the games are far shorter, and because the game engines tend to be ones that can work on current-gen consoles.

Length of game has absolutely nothing to do with development time. Quantity of assets is the problem - every cutscene, texture, character model, and piece of music would likely have to be redone to make it properly, but if the game still uses fixed angles for everything it's still not going to be as intensive as remaking a game where the camera follows you in 3D.

But seriously, length of game? Re-building the in-game mechanics would be trivial if they have access to the source code, the entire problem is art.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Length of game has absolutely nothing to do with development time. Quantity of assets is the problem - every cutscene, texture, character model, and piece of music would likely have to be redone to make it properly, but if the game still uses fixed angles for everything it's still not going to be as intensive as remaking a game where the camera follows you in 3D.

But seriously, length of game? Re-building the in-game mechanics would be trivial if they have access to the source code, the entire problem is art.

Length of game dictates the number of assets?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Square-Enix is way too busy making more games starring Lightning.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The real problem is what that other guy said, living up to their fanbase's expectations. They've rebuilt all the NES/SNES RPGs and those didn't exactly have usable art assets. Anyway Square have repeatedly said that they aren't going to do it so lets just leave it at that until they start losing money.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Legdiian posted:

Length of game dictates the number of assets?

It impacts it somewhat, but it really, really isn't a useful metric to discuss. Xenoblade is much, much longer than Final Fantasy 7, but the asset complexity would likely be very similar.

edit: Similar to a FF7 remake, obviously the original release wasn't that complex.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
As long as we're taking about things that will never happen how about they demake FF7 as a retro 16 bit RPG. It would probably actually look better graphically than the original.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They're too busy pimping their new engine from E3 on Sony hardware anyway.

Eh, I saw Square-Enix being at the Sony conference as more of a formality than anything else. They couldn't even be bothered to show a new tech demo and had nothing to offer but "see you at E3!" It was pretty lame.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FF7 has aged horribly and Square has been on a downward spiral with FF properties since Enix came along. The most charitable thing Square could ever do for Nintendo at this point is to relinquish the rights to SMRPG, granting possibly a 3DS e-download of the game and Geno finally being available in the next Smash Bros. Or, better yet, stop loving around with melodramatic Lightning bullshit and make Nintendo a new proper SMRPG.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

MinibarMatchman posted:

FF7 has aged horribly and Square has been on a downward spiral with FF properties since Enix came along. The most charitable thing Square could ever do for Nintendo at this point is to relinquish the rights to SMRPG, granting possibly a 3DS e-download of the game and Geno finally being available in the next Smash Bros. Or, better yet, stop loving around with melodramatic Lightning bullshit and make Nintendo a new proper SMRPG.

I don't understand the obsession with a Square-made SMRPG. Nintendo themselves have made Paper Mario, The Thousand Year Door, Superstar Saga, and Bowser's Inside Story, all fantastic RPGs that didn't need any help from Square at all. Why are we suddenly clamoring for Square to come back and grace us with a "real" SMRPG2, especially given their recent output?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Square-Enix is way too busy making more games starring Lightning.

Which I'm totally ok with :allears:

• Locked thread