Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Any other E34 535 people running the Vogtland/Koni combo? I want to firm up the ride and drop it enough to get rid of the gross looking fender gap in the front and after an hour or two of poking around on the internet that seems to be the magical combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So since I'm selling my 128i I've been driving it a lot recently despite the weather. I left it out in the rain today and just drove up to BWW to get some wings, in the rain. It's foggy, the roads are slick, I love it. Even driving this underpowered car tamely is just so enjoyable. Every BMW I've owned has always brought about this simple joy, it's astonishing. No other car has done that for me.

I've been stressing out about my M3 order because I went with no options at all. Just a V8 and a manual gearbox. But I get worked up about the toys. Oh, I want nav, and that DCT is awesome (never mind that I still haven't learned to heel toe yet), and I couldn't live without comfort access. Taking my key out to unlock the car? That's barbaric!

Then I go for a ride. God drat these cars are meant to be driven.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Jealous Cow posted:

Then I go for a ride. God drat these cars are meant to be driven.

I love the barbaric-ness of these cars. But I am still a 5 series lover at heart, and would kill to own a clean E34 M5. I find Sat-Nav in cars useless. The maps are always horribly out of date and cost way to much to update. You can buy a tom-tom for the price of a new map disc. Or if your cheap like me, just use my smart phone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been using my phone for years now. I honestly don't want any kind of satnav in any car I own. I get a long enough car charger and sit my phone in the ash tray or in the little slot next to the handbrake.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Cojawfee posted:

I've been using my phone for years now. I honestly don't want any kind of satnav in any car I own. I get a long enough car charger and sit my phone in the ash tray or in the little slot next to the handbrake.

Same. I don't want touch screens and out date able electronics anywhere near my car. All I need is a radio, AC, power windows and well bolstered seats.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

The GPS in my M3 did a better job than my cell phone last time I needed it. I'm not even sure it's ever been updated (I bought it CPO last year) since it was new in '09. I also absolutely love the keyless package. Not having to take my keys out of my pocket is something that doesn't seem like it's a big deal, but it was one of the first things I missed when I had a Nissan Sentra rental loaner while I waited for a new battery.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Isn't nav standard in M cars for like the past 10 years?
I'm indifferent to what is inside my car as long as it works.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Conversely, the NAV package in my 2004 330Ci is hugely out of date and ugly and the screen sucks and basically there's nothing good about it! Half the roads in my area aren't even in the thing because there has been so much development in the area, and there continues to be.

Google Maps on my iPhone has everything though.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

It's a $1300 option, or part of a $4300 premium package.

On the new "F" series cars (F10, F20, etc) iDrive is standard, but the nav upgrade adds a larger screen and navigation.

I rarely use nav, but I hate the BMW Professional iPod interface and it doesn't support A2DP streaming over Bluetooth.

I would have ordered a better equipped car, but I got a good deal on a produced-not-shipped car with no options.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
I like to read the title of this thread as GOD DAM ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. So last night I figured I'd finish up my parasitic drain analysis on the 2001 540i. Got the multimeter hooked up, went through all the fuses I hadn't before and I still had a drain of 3.2amps, which is huge. (Comedy option is to pull the movement sensor fuse and have the alarm go off on you. It's loud) I'd heard from a bmw shop owner that sometimes the Blower Motor Resistor can cause a drain, and is un-fused, so I poked around in the passenger footwell like he said, but nothing in there reduced the drain at all. I looked at this video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWPGHyoyyLk, but cant seem to find those fuses on my LHD car.

Fast forward to this morning, and the car is completely dead. Can't unlock it except with the key, no dome light etc. Luckily MY GIRLFRIEND knew I hadn't fixed the issue yet, and bought me one of these for V-day perfect time to use it right? Nope. Car still won't crank over. The car is smart enough to not try to crank, and just clicks instead of cranking slowly, but with that thing connected for nearly an hour I never got anywhere. Does this mean the fault is in my starting system?

I have to get the car started, as I have a test this afternoon, and am already missing a bunch of work :(. I'm worried that the drain has gotten worse, and it'll die on me much faster now. It used to only be if I was leaving it for 3 or more days I'd have a problem.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
What great timing to bring that subject up. I've gotten in the habit of using my company car for short trips that wouldn't properly warm things up since its been pretty cold out recently, but the end result is I haven't driven my E46 in a few weeks. I went to get something out of it just now and found it so dead that the only thing which responded to the remote was the gas door latch. I grabbed my cables and hooked up the company car for a jump, but even after 10 minutes of idling that car I didn't have enough charge to get anything more out of the car other than a light blink of a few idiot lights when the key crosses the "on" position.

The battery is five years old and was run pretty much dead flat in the middle of winter, so I have no problem with the idea that it's toast, but shouldn't I still at least be able to jump it? Is a Kia Spectra not capable of sparing enough power to jump from the underhood terminals? I remember my old Crown Vic could never jump off a coworker's Cavalier but would fire right up off another's Probe. I don't think there's any reason this would make any sense, but could there be a benefit to running the cables direct to the battery on my car's end of this equation?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

It really does depend on the size of engine, and what kind of charging system it has. it also depends on how dead the battery is. Completely flat is harder than just needing a little boost. My battery hopefully isn't done for, as it's only a year and a half old, but I've killed it a number of times with this goddamned electrical drain.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
I had that issue a few months ago on my car (not a BMW) where the battery completely failed. I had the Auto Club come out and jump my car, and after driving around for about 15 minutes it completely stalled. The alternator was working fine, but the battery was so dead it couldn't hold a charge.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wolrah posted:

The battery is five years old and was run pretty much dead flat in the middle of winter, so I have no problem with the idea that it's toast, but shouldn't I still at least be able to jump it?

Not really. In fact, even if you do jump it and it runs, it's going to have your alternator running at full tilt the whole time trying to keep up with it. Which it may or may not be able to do along with providing enough power to run the car as well.

It's a really good way to destroy an otherwise good alternator.

The battery is toast. Not just by age but by the fact that you let it run completely flat. Just get another one and all will be well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I killed my alternator's regulator last summer when a battery cable came loose, so I know that one firsthand. Time for a new battery it seems.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

So I went through again, checked fuses, found the FSU/blower motor resistor and I'm still getting 3.2-3.4amp draw after 25 minutes. So it seems the car isn't going to sleep. Why I don't know, and what's not going to sleep I don't know either. It's not the nav/gps/cd player because those all have fuses. So it's something that needs to sleep that's unfused. Does anyone have any idea what that might be? When I checked my voltage earlier, it was reading 14.1, so the alternator is good. I guess I'd need a voltmeter on while I was driving, to make sure that occasionally the alternator was kicking off. It's highly possible that my 1 year 2 month old battery is dead from being killed so often, but I hope not :(. If a napa tests it and it says it still holds a charge, i'm ok right?

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Deceptor101 posted:

Unlucky stuff
You appear to be having quite a lot of problems with that car man. I'll admit, that is probably my favorite BMW ever. I really hope you get it fixed and are able to start driving it again! :shobon:

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I've had this guy here for a couple of months now:

I bought it after having an inspection done, and after taking it for a couple of test drives. It all checked out pretty well, no major issues, and it was a good price.

Since then, I've replaced the following:

Radiator
Thermostat
Water Pump
Expansion Tank
Radiator Hoses
All the tensioner pulleys
Water pump pulley
Serpentine Belt
A/C belt
Every vacuum hose
All 4 O2 sensors
Passenger Window Regulator
Washer Fluid Pump

Aaaaand, one day out of the shop, and I'm smelling burning oil. Looks like it's time for a valve cover gasket, which shouldn't be a big deal. But, while I'm in there, I should go ahead and change the plugs. And maybe the Vanos seals.

Preachin' to the choir... But it's a joy to drive.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

fingerling posted:

You appear to be having quite a lot of problems with that car man. I'll admit, that is probably my favorite BMW ever. I really hope you get it fixed and are able to start driving it again! :shobon:

It's the reason you don't become the 4th owner under 100k. Nobody took care of this car, nobody. That being said, the current electrical problem is solved by driving it every day! So at least there's that :). I'm actually really struggling to find something to get me over the $75 pelican parts free shipping. I only need $2.50 more and I can't think of anything...

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Deceptor101 posted:

It's the reason you don't become the 4th owner under 100k. Nobody took care of this car, nobody. That being said, the current electrical problem is solved by driving it every day! So at least there's that :). I'm actually really struggling to find something to get me over the $75 pelican parts free shipping. I only need $2.50 more and I can't think of anything...

Oil filter. Always gonna need oil filters. That's my go-to whenever I need to nudge an order over the magic free shipping threshold.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

I just did an oil change about 3 weeks ago, but they don't go bad sitting in the closet! Everything I've read indicates FSU or radio (fuse 56) is the cause of 95% of E39 drain issues. I can have both disconnected and still read 3.2amps drain after the car sits for 20 minutes. What's worse is it seems that whenever I work on something in the electrical system, it likes to drain the battery much much faster, so I always feel like I have to drive it immediately to recharge it.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Every time I think about getting rid of my E34 535i to focus solely on the E30's; I drive it and change my mind.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I really want to get an Oxford green M3 but they rarely come up, what other colours are out there that are interesting? I can't have black or silver because my mates have one of each.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Oh, I finally put my new sunroof switch panel in. I feel so CLASSY driving around without a huge hole in my headliner. Mmmm the lap of luxury.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I really want to get an Oxford green M3 but they rarely come up, what other colours are out there that are interesting? I can't have black or silver because my mates have one of each.

Techno Violet

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Moxie Omen posted:

Every time I think about getting rid of my E34 535i to focus solely on the E30's; I drive it and change my mind.

Lightbulb out always makes fun of me for loving 5'ers... but god drat, they really do mix sport and comfort. I don't know how BMW does it, but they got it right.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Lightbulb out always makes fun of me for loving 5'ers... but god drat, they really do mix sport and comfort. I don't know how BMW does it, but they got it right.

That is not true. I make fun of you for having a really nice 5 car, and then only looking at cars that are in the 5 car segment or larger/heavier.

You already have a 4 door luxury sedan, buy a sports car!!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Billy Zane posted:

Techno Violet

Techno violet on e46 m3s is stupid rare though, individual only. I assume he meant e46 since he said oxford green, e36 m3 greens were boston green or fern green. I'd do horrible things to own a boston green on magma M3 sedan, but I had to settle for rustfree over colour.

For e46 m3 you have the following colours:

Jet Black
Carbon Black
Oxford Green
Alpine White
Imola Red
Titanium Silver
Steel Grey (up to 03)
Topaz Blue (up to 03)
Mystic Blue (after 03)
Silver Grey (after 03)
Vomit Phoenix Yellow
Laguna Seca Blue (up to 04)
Interlagos Blue (competition package only)

Personally Imola on black, Steel/Silver on Imola and Alpine on Imola are my favourite picks for an e46 m3.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
How bad of a car is a Z3?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

ultimateforce posted:

How bad of a car is a Z3?

Depends on how destroyed it is. :shrug:

I smoked one in my 307Y going uphill. Dude was providing his own smokescreen. Doubt he made it too far past the next exit.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Z3's are E30s underneath. I haven't heard much in regards to their reliability, but I would assume the standard E36 items combined with E30 in regards to the suspension points.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just avoiding the 4 banger will pretty much eliminate any issues. From what I hear the 2.5 is pretty bullet proof and a hoot to drive.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I was actually looking just at the 1.9L. I keep thinking about buying a NB but I am keeping my options open.

I know they aren't fast, but I liked my 318is E36 because I could drive it at WOT and not really break any speed limits.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I'm going to guess it's an M44 motor, which aren't bad. It would be slow but probably relatively fun to drive.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Techno violet on e46 m3s is stupid rare though, individual only. I assume he meant e46 since he said oxford green, e36 m3 greens were boston green or fern green. I'd do horrible things to own a boston green on magma M3 sedan, but I had to settle for rustfree over colour.

For e46 m3 you have the following colours:

Jet Black
Carbon Black
Oxford Green
Alpine White
Imola Red
Titanium Silver
Steel Grey (up to 03)
Topaz Blue (up to 03)
Mystic Blue (after 03)
Silver Grey (after 03)
Vomit Phoenix Yellow
Laguna Seca Blue (up to 04)
Interlagos Blue (competition package only)

Personally Imola on black, Steel/Silver on Imola and Alpine on Imola are my favourite picks for an e46 m3.

Cool, thanks for this. The majority I'm seeing are black or silver which is a bit of a shame. I think I'll try and go oxford green/imola red or alpine white. Do they all go for essentially the same price as I'm not prepared to pay a premium just for a more interesting colour really.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'm going to guess it's an M44 motor, which aren't bad. It would be slow but probably relatively fun to drive.

So basically a BMW NB Miata like I was guessing?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Kinda like an overweight miata. Biggest problem with z3's is the rear suspension failures. Might not be as bad of an issue on the m44 cars due to the low power.

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
My dad's been having the SES light appear intermittently on his 2006 E90 325i. It's usually right when he starts the car on a cold day and then the light goes out a few days later. Scanner is giving me P1553 which appears to be the intake VANOS solenoid. Found this DIY thread and it seems pretty straightforward. No other symptoms at all. The PO had the dealer replace one of the solenoids before my dad bought the car, but I'm not sure which one.

Any tips? Should I just replace it and not bother cleaning it? Looks to be $107 at ECS.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Just looking at that DIY I'd clean it first. That's a 10 minute job, tops. If the code comes back then I'd actually bother replacing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

ultimateforce posted:

I know they aren't fast, but I liked my 318is E36 because I could drive it at WOT and not really break any speed limits.

This is what I tell myself every time I get in my MKIV 2.0.