Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

leftover posted:

I am currently making chicken stock from the carcass for the first time today, and was at a loss for what to actually do with the stock after I was done. After a bit of googling I came across people mentioning to soak or cook dry beans in it. I have a refried bean recipe I like to make, and was wondering:

Would it be better to soak the beans water and rinse the next day, and then cook it in the broth... or should I soak them in the broth and then just cook them as is?

Put it in ice cube trays and freeze it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Saint Darwin posted:

Uh oh, are we not supposed to do that?

Things not to refrigerate (when whole and raw)
-tomatoes
-cucumbers
-bananas
-add more here

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

pile of brown posted:

-tomatoes
-cucumbers
-bananas
-add more here

Not cucumbers? Really? I've been doing that all my life.

I am terrible at this. I know I shouldn't really refrigerate basil either but my dumb housemates keep turning the heat up and it'll go brown in a day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

tarepanda posted:

What's the difference between normal flour, King Arthur flour (now with 50% more shards of Excalibur!) and bread flour?

Don't forget about White Lily brand flour, which has very little gluten and is only good for making biscuits (but it's perfect for that). It was all I had one time and I made some rolls that were a disaster.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there a good way to de-bone chicken thighs etc after cooking?

I am of the opinion that using boneless, skinless chicken breasts in things like butter chicken or chicken mole is a sin, but don't want my guests picking bones out of their chicken. I like to fry all the parts up with the bones+skin on it and add a little bit of the left over grease to the sauce.

It's not a huge deal since it's something you eat with your hands but I hate burning my hands on hot chicken when pulling bones and gristle out.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 26, 2013

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a good way to de-bone chicken thighs etc after cooking?

I am of the opinion that using boneless, skinless chicken breasts in things like butter chicken or chicken mole is a sin, but don't want my guests picking bones out of their chicken. I like to fry all the parts up with the bones+skin on it and add a little bit of the left over grease to the sauce.

It's not a huge deal since it's something you eat with your hands but I hate burning my hands on hot chicken when pulling bones and gristle out.

Most of the grocery stores around here sell boneless thighs...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Saint Darwin posted:

I am terrible at this. I know I shouldn't really refrigerate basil either but my dumb housemates keep turning the heat up and it'll go brown in a day.

Keep herbs with cut stems in a jar of water just like flowers, makes them last weeks fresh and green.

Basil is stupid easy to grow if you use a lot fresh just keep a live plant on your counter

Bob morales: if you're making it in advance let it cool a bit and pull bones, then reheat meat in the sauce. If not meat on the bone isnt really that much to wrestle much unless your diners have special needs. Plus to me, being on a bone is what makes it pick up and eat food. Latex gloves actually defray more heat than youd think, I wear them to shred hot meat by hand.

Otherwise debone before cooking and make a quick broth to use as sauce base. You can still leave the skin on.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 26, 2013

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I think if you're simmering chicken thighs in a sauce you should be simmering it long enough that when you pull the thighs out you can make a slit on the back and just slide the bone out in one piece with tongs and/or a fork. Then if I want chicken pieces I very rusticly run over it with a chef's knife (Or just leave them whole) and chuck it back in the pot. That's just how I do it with still-warm chicken thighs and I'm a wuss about burning myself. v:shobon:v

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 26, 2013

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Real fast, I'm making fontina & spinach pork chops. They were supposed to be stuffed but the meat isn't thick enough, so I'm putting that on top. Anyways, I browned each side of the chops on a skillet and it says to our them in the oven at 140 degrees, but doesn't say for how long.

My oven only goes down to 170. how long should I leave them in there without burning or drying them out??

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

89 posted:

Real fast, I'm making fontina & spinach pork chops. They were supposed to be stuffed but the meat isn't thick enough, so I'm putting that on top. Anyways, I browned each side of the chops on a skillet and it says to our them in the oven at 140 degrees, but doesn't say for how long.

My oven only goes down to 170. how long should I leave them in there without burning or drying them out??

If they're not thick enough to stuff they're probably not thick enough to be sticking in the oven. How close to done are they now?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Bob Morales posted:

If they're not thick enough to stuff they're probably not thick enough to be sticking in the oven. How close to done are they now?

About 70%. I guess I mostly just need the cheese and such melted. I've never made pork chops before so I just want to make sure I'm not serving undone food.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

89 posted:

I'm going to guess that either:

a. that is degrees celsius, which would be somewhere around 285 F

2. they are saying to roast them until they reach * an internal temperature of 140 -which would be about right, but then you'd want to let them rest and hope the temperature comes up slightly if you want to be absolutely safe. I pull mine in the 130s actually, but the guvamint wants to ruin pork chops and they say 150-something still, I think -it used to be 165.

edit: to be clear, I'm talking about the temperature reading from a probe thermometer stuck into the thickest part of the chop and near a bone, which you should really have. If you don't, I'd just leave them in there at 300 for 10 or 15 minutes and I'm sure they'll be fine if they're less than 1.5" thick or so and they're browned already.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 26, 2013

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Saint Darwin posted:

yeah ditto

didn't know about basil either!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Ideas on what to do with a fat bag of mixed salad greens?

Besides making a salad.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

PRADA SLUT posted:

Besides making a salad.

Can you wilt them? If so, make spanakopita.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Besides making a salad.
:kimchi: Kimchi. :kimchi: Seriously, I say this every couple pages or something, but all the random greens that show up in my CSA box used to be like a puzzle or something to be solved before I started just spicy fermenting the gently caress out of all of them.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I can hardly ever keep greens around long enough to ferment them because I'm too busy braising them or stir frying them. Those are awesome things.

But yes if you're not using them all up with other methods then ferment them or make delicious pickled vegetables of all sorts.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I should try that. I bought some ingredients for Kim Chi but never thought about putting the extra salad in it as well.

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.
i wanna carbonate yogurt and freeze it for homeade fizzix pops. not interested in making the yogurt, probably just use store bought stuff. what kind of force carbonation works good on sandwitch bags or is there a better container to use?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
A few months ago I tried making potato croquettes, but it went badly wrong. Potato disintegrated whilst trying to coat in egg.

What potatoes would be best for them? Any special way of prepping at all?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

pile of brown posted:

-tomatoes
-cucumbers
-bananas
-add more here

I am terrified of insects getting into my home and setting up shop, so I keep nothing at all out. Potatoes, onions, garlic (granted, I sometimes buy the peeled stuff, but whatever), herbs, and anything else fresh producey goes directly into the fridge where it can be kept safe from those horrible flying monsters of doom and hate. loving bugs. I hate them so much. Roaches, fruit flies, house flies, all of them. They all need to die and go to hell and gently caress off and oh god I want to hide under my covers now. I grew up in a house where the parentals were way too lax with food protection, so there were always roaches and flies all the time. It made me crazy. And the bugs in the grains and flour!? Ew ew ew ew ew. After biology class, where we looked at flour under the stereoscopes both before and after sifting, and I saw all those crawly little larva still in the flour, I was really /really/ grossed out. Seriously, kids. Don't ever get a degree in biology. So at home, all the flour and grains and beans go into airtight containers as soon as they come into the apartment. All spices go into the same. So far, the only time we had roaches was when there was major construction in the apartments below us, and they were rustled out of the thingy. At which point, Puppy and I went quite liberal with the boric acid, and it cleared them right up.

The worst of it all was that my mum would never even get the house tented, because it would be too much effort to get all the food inside the fridge. So instead of spending the effort, she'd rather live in a house crawling with bugs. :gonk:

No, I won't buy one of those stupid net thingies to go over the food. Because then the flies just hover around the net thingy.

@Experto: Use a russet potato. Cook it until it's just tender. Don't cook it all the way. Cool it down completely cold in the fridge. THEN mash it. THEN do anything else.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dino, you refrigerate your tomatoes? You MONSTER!!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

dino. posted:

garlic (granted, I sometimes buy the peeled stuff, but whatever)
This is the real crime. I feel like I just found out Santa is really my dad or something - disappointed, saddened, as I watch a little more magic disappear from the world.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

bartolimu posted:

This is the real crime. I feel like I just found out Santa is really my dad or something - disappointed, saddened, as I watch a little more magic disappear from the world.

:colbert:

I would put forth a blind taste test for prepeeled vs unpeeled garlic.

Mostly I use prepeeled if I need a massive quantity, like a roast chicken, but I peel my own if it's going to be a small amount.

edit: Also, at least my H-Mart seems to have a very serious problem with keeping fresh (no green inside) garlic in stock, while I've never had a problem with their peeled. I don't even know.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

bartolimu posted:

YOU try peeling three cups of garlic when making kimchi. :( I hit up the H-mart, and buy a box of the stuff for a few bucks, and move on. Otherwise, I get those five packs for $2 from the local grocery store, because garlic should be cheap.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I've recently had to switch to pre-peeled garlic because all of the grocery stores around me have switched to some variety of garlic that have almost no flavor. :smith:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They don't even sell unpeeled garlic in Korea unless you want to buy 100+ bulbs at the agriculture market. I've forgotten the simple joy of smashing cloves.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bartolimu posted:

Agreed... but at the same time, I'm amused that Dino is so afraid of bugs! I can just picture Dino standing up on top of the kitchen table, screaming like that housewife from the 60s' Tom and Jerry cartoons, all because he saw a bug on the floor. You do know that people eat bugs, right?

That said, I must admit that we've gone to buying peeled garlic at Market Basket at my house. I blame the girlfriend. All HER fault.

EDIT: Ok, that came off a little harsh, sorry man. I too am super grossed out by fruit flies, and do a lot to prevent them.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Agreed... but at the same time, I'm amused that Dino is so afraid of bugs! I can just picture Dino standing up on top of the kitchen table, screaming like that housewife from the 60s' Tom and Jerry cartoons, all because he saw a bug on the floor. You do know that people eat bugs, right?

That said, I must admit that we've gone to buying peeled garlic at Market Basket at my house. I blame the girlfriend. All HER fault.

EDIT: Ok, that came off a little harsh, sorry man. I too am super grossed out by fruit flies, and do a lot to prevent them.
It's not harsh when it's deadly accurate. I really do freak out and scream like a 50s housewife because I see a bug on the floor. Puppy's gotten used to the terrified screech enough that he knows to come rushing in, newspaper in hand, to get the bug out of the apartment. (We usually let it out the window, and then shut the window.) Spiders I'm cool with. They eat bugs, so we get along just fine. But seriously. gently caress having bugs.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

dino. posted:

YOU try peeling three cups of garlic when making kimchi. :(

Yeah it takes like 5 minutes. :colbert: Cowboy up.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah it takes like 5 minutes. :colbert: Cowboy up.

Wiggles. My friend. Seriously. You've known me how long? Can you even imagine me trying to cowboy up? It would end horribly.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Does the "two giant bowls and shake it like crazy" method really work for big batches of fresh garlic? I've tried it a few times, but been disappointed. It might be because my mama gave me very little stuff to shake.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Ok two questions folks:

This weekend, I will be making pizza. It's not a big stone, so I''ll probably make a couple pies, depending on who else comes over.

I know we definitely wanna do a margherita pie with those big slices of mozz and basil. I've always enjoyed when the sauce is a bit on the sweeter side. Any recipe recommendations?

I also want to do stuffed cabbage, probably this weekend sometime as well. I usually grab mine at the local polish place and I love it, so I'm aiming for a Polish inspired one (I know there's variations depending on what country). I was originally thinking of standard red sauce, but a recipe for one of those awesome white ones with mushrooms would be cool too.

Thanks in advance!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Noni posted:

Does the "two giant bowls and shake it like crazy" method really work for big batches of fresh garlic? I've tried it a few times, but been disappointed. It might be because my mama gave me very little stuff to shake.

I find it best with metal bowls as well as you need to shake the gently caress out of it. Shake it like it's a colicky baby that hasn't stopped crying for a month straight.

Like this dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d3oc24fD-c

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I've got one of those rubber tubes that peels garlic like a treat.

I keep all my dry goods (lentils, dhal, rice, etc) in sealed containers after we had an infestation of loving Indian meal moths. They got EVERYWHERE, including into sealed jars. Pretty loving miraculous, but we had to throw a whole lot of food out, and clear out boxes containing candlesticks, dishes, etc. I now know what to look out for - the little sticky things which dangle from the inside of the plastic bag containing the food. I got some recently in some quinoa and some lentils. Organic food is worse for it, which is somehow reassuring. I don't throw the food away if I find a bag like that though - I just make sure it is kept in a sealed container so those fuckers can't escape, then I wash it very thoroughly before use, and cook. Throwing away 500g of good food because of some moth larvae seems terribly wasteful.

.dino, do your arms flap when you screech?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Casu Marzu posted:

I find it best with metal bowls as well as you need to shake the gently caress out of it. Shake it like it's a colicky baby that hasn't stopped crying for a month straight.

Like this dude

Yeah I'm super wimpy and never could get it to work. Just made a bunch of noise and two more bowls to wash. I suppose I should get my husband to try before I write the method off, I may just not have the arm strength.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

Like this dude

Huh, well, alright. If the fresh garlic quality stops being so lovely I guess I can just do that.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

.dino, do your arms flap when you screech?
STOP SPYING ON MY HOUSE RATTLE. T_T Yes. They do.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Nione posted:

Calamari. I've never made fried calamari. I've read recipes that say to just dust them in flour and seasoning and fry them. Other recipes say you need a binder (like buttermilk) to get the flour to stick and form a nice crust. Any tips on that?

I didn't see a reply to this but definitely do not do the latter, calamari is so delicate and cooks so fast that it would be pointless. Score the tubes and cut them into thick strips, then dust in seasoned corn flour (I like a recipe I saw that was just salt and ground Sichuan peppercorns) then shake them off and fry them in super hot oil for no more than 1 minute. That's the whole thing, just don't cook them for more than a minute or so. The onion ring batter is such a silly idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

dino. posted:

Wiggles. My friend. Seriously. You've known me how long? Can you even imagine me trying to cowboy up? It would end horribly.

Heh. Well, everyone has their own way.