Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm convinced that touring with Blood on the Dance Floor was an hilarious troll.

According to Zoog in some interview on youtube, it was an attempt to court a younger audience, mainly because Angelspit hadn't really had the opportunity to do many all ages shows. Blood on the Dance Floor was nothing but all ages shows.... because it's a loving pedophile band.

I actually actually never heard of Blood on the Dance Floor before that tour and when I check them out on youtube, I decided to skip the show because I really didn't want anything to do with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There's apparently some neo-folk and martial industrial bands playing a free show at a coffeeshop in my city tonight. One's Facebook page shows them looking like the Hitler Youth with descriptions about Germanic blood neo-paganism.

Oh God.

A friend and myself are going to check this out. This is going to be horrible.

Edit: Well that was horrible. It was free though, and we stayed about 15 minutes. But that scene is filled with literal Nazis. Interesting to see it in the flesh.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 23, 2013

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Hay guys I made a Ke$ha remix and it isn't really industrial but I don't know where else to put it.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Why did that remind me of Genesis?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Armor-Piercing posted:

Can I get some recommendations of (good) bands with female vocalists? At the moment I think I've only got The Birthday Massacre and Chiasm, not counting bands with occasional/backup female vocalists like Blutengel. I'm not looking for any particular subgenre at the moment, though I generally favor poppy stuff.

Fake edit: Collide, too. Haven't listened to them in a while.

Ayria? IScintilla? Velcra, perhaps?

How, uh, grrrr, are you willing to go? Because there's Beati Moturi fairly far down that path.

Sloppy posted:

Santa Hates You has Jinxy, one of the most kickass female vocalists around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqQl2CFdEvw

Edit: How do you look up something with a generic name like Collide on Youtube? All I get is some stupid pop song.

Look them up on last.fm.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 23, 2013

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Armor-Piercing posted:

Can I get some recommendations of (good) bands with female vocalists? At the moment I think I've only got The Birthday Massacre and Chiasm, not counting bands with occasional/backup female vocalists like Blutengel. I'm not looking for any particular subgenre at the moment, though I generally favor poppy stuff.

Fake edit: Collide, too. Haven't listened to them in a while.

Claire Voyant, if you prefer a more mellow sound.

tays revenge fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 23, 2013

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Pope Guilty posted:

Combichrist...

...Has he finally released an album without at least one track making GBS threads on women?

LabyaMynora posted:

Blood on the Dance Floor was nothing but all ages shows.... because it's a loving pedophile band.

Omi-Polari posted:

There's apparently some neo-folk and martial industrial bands playing a free show at a coffeeshop in my city tonight. One's Facebook page shows them looking like the Hitler Youth with descriptions about Germanic blood neo-paganism.

...that scene is filled with literal Nazis.

Industrial: The Anus of Electronic Music

Seriously what the gently caress happened to this genre? Holy loving poo poo it's a god damned abomination and growing.
Hate to get into all that again, but when I read stuff like this I loose all hope.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

The Cleaner posted:

Seriously what the gently caress happened to this genre? Holy loving poo poo it's a god damned abomination and growing.
Hate to get into all that again, but when I read stuff like this I loose all hope.

There is reasonable authentic talent out there, you just have to weave through all the nazis and robot hair.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I go with: stick to industrial with no lyrics, and you usually avoid the dressup nazi posterboys. Usually. Unless you accidentally wander into power electronics :/

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Bands like ∆AIMON make me feel good about new industrial (or whatever industrial is turning into). Listening to their album reminds me of when I first started listening to Coil.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
For a time I think industrial was mainly used as a term to group together any music (even a lot of music that originated from very specific scene contexts that didn't necessarily have to do with the origins of industrial as a scene) that kept connections (however tenuous) to both avant-garde/experimental and pop music, an it served a really important function for that reason. Now there is less of a need for a single term to serve that function, so the main reasons to invoke industrial as a context for listening to or making music are either nostalgic, historic, or image based. And of course that image no longer really speaks to anyone in 2013.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
http://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusive-kmfdm-premiere-new-album-kunst.html

Full length preview of Kunst.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Is it just me or does the opening track sound remarkably similar to Risen?

Probably just me.

So far this is sounding exactly like another post-WWIII KMFDM album. Earlier when I was listing off recent KMFDM albums I actually forgot Blitz existed, which isn't unique to that album... I usually forget at least one of them when listing 'em off.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Listening to KMFDM post-WWII is to me like the musical equivalent of going to a whorehouse or having heterosexual sex. I can tell myself that I enjoy it, but I really don't.

The Cleaner posted:

The neo-folk show was interesting, I have to say. The band was called "Awen" and are one of those bands that doesn't play around with a kind of plausible deniability about being fascist - they outright say they're against multiculturalism and FOR a society built around Might and the Natural Order. They did this interview online where they played in Germany, and bemoaned that the American "ghetto-style" graffiti was all over the place but the neo-Nazi and anti-Turkish graffiti was getting covered up, so yeah.

My friend and myself sort of knew - conceptually - what we were getting into by going. We have both been interested in far right extremism as a kind of perverse academic curiosity for awhile, and here was a chance to see it in action, not have to pay any money, and not have to travel very far (literally next to a coffeeshop in the smack middle of Austin).

It was still somewhat shocking. The inside of the venue was lit all in red. There were guys, including a local gothic-industrial DJ, walking around in full matching blackshirt regalia. (Like no-joke jackboots and uniforms.) Lots of SS Death's Head patches. There were these men who hadn't shaved in a few days standing around eyeing people while wearing Death in June t-shirts and camouflage. More than anything it was ridiculous and funny. But my friend, a fairly reverent Christian, starting getting really creeped out and began talking like Chef in Apocalypse Now about it being pagan idolatry: evil, Nazi stuff! (He was right about that.)

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 26, 2013

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Well I just listened to Kunst and I probably shouldn't be surprised KMFDM managed to release an album without a single good song on it. Even the albums between 2001 and now have at least one redeeming track but not this one, making it the worst KMFDM album, even worse than UAIOE. Just completely generic at best and a monotonous mess at worst. Pseudocide just drones on and on until it decides to stop.

It might be the first KMFDM album I don't get :(

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Omi-Polari posted:

Listening to KMFDM post-WWII is to me like the musical equivalent of going to a whorehouse or having heterosexual sex. I can tell myself that I enjoy it, but I really don't.

The neo-folk show was interesting, I have to say. The band was called "Awen" and are one of those bands that doesn't play around with a kind of plausible deniability about being fascist - they outright say they're against multiculturalism and FOR a society built around Might and the Natural Order. They did this interview online where they played in Germany, and bemoaned that the American "ghetto-style" graffiti was all over the place but the neo-Nazi and anti-Turkish graffiti was getting covered up, so yeah.

My friend and myself sort of knew - conceptually - what we were getting into by going. We have both been interested in far right extremism as a kind of perverse academic curiosity for awhile, and here was a chance to see it in action, not have to pay any money, and not have to travel very far (literally next to a coffeeshop in the smack middle of Austin).

It was still somewhat shocking. The inside of the venue was lit all in red. There were guys, including a local gothic-industrial DJ, walking around in full matching blackshirt regalia. (Like no-joke jackboots and uniforms.) Lots of SS Death's Head patches. There were these men who hadn't shaved in a few days standing around eyeing people while wearing Death in June t-shirts and camouflage. More than anything it was ridiculous and funny. But my friend, a fairly reverent Christian, starting getting really creeped out and began talking like Chef in Apocalypse Now about it being pagan idolatry: evil, Nazi stuff! (He was right about that.)

Holy poo poo and this went down in Austin? Which coffee shop?

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
Ugh, I was hoping that the negativity about Kunst was overblown, but damnit, it's awful.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Omi-Polari posted:

Signs your neo-folk show may be fascististic:
1. Pan-europeanism
2. "A new dawn"
3. Appealing to "the old ways"
4. Inscrutable politics that only get more obscured in interviews
5. Leather trench coats
6. Songs are literal transcriptions of Mein Kampf
7. Nordic runes for album names
8. Sunwheels, sunwheels, sunwheels.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Kunst is industrial-metal wallpaper.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Twiin posted:

Bands like ∆AIMON make me feel good about new industrial (or whatever industrial is turning into). Listening to their album reminds me of when I first started listening to Coil.

Yeah, I'm so glad that there are alternatives coming out (and Flatliner was quite good!), but the imagery, attitudes and elitism (there really is, especially in clubs) are why it's embarrassing to admit that I listen to industrial as a genre sometimes.

There was and still is a large portion of the fanbase that identifies themselves as goth/rivethead/etc as a fashion identity primarily - it's not about the music. I.e. there are large portions of EBM (or were in the late 90s-mid 00s) that sounded like standard euro-trance clubmixes, but fans identifying with the genre didn't really know much trance outside the genre to compare to (so it seemed so new to them). I was pretty confused a decade+ ago when the 'industrial' (or goth) term, especially electronically (vs industrial rock), didn't have all that much to do with the origins of the music (TG etc). I could have just been talking to the wrong fans or checking out the wrong clubs but I doubt it.

It goes both ways though - a lot of Autechre's stuff going back decades very much qualifies as industrial (or at least experimental noise) but fans on that side didn't pay attention to anything labeled industrial. It's a weird rift that I was really happy to see bridged with Tympanik's emergence and some of the branching out that Hymen has done last decade, etc. I hope that made sense - I'm just happy that there are musicians out there exploring outside genre boundaries. </ramble> :P

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

I was optimistic about KMFDM's future albums because WTF?! was fairly decent for their new stuff. I have not listened to KUNST entirely so I'll reserve judgement but the title track seemed to be just a sales pitch for their older stuff as they pretty much covered most of their album titles in the lyrics.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

skycake posted:

I was optimistic about KMFDM's future albums because WTF?! was fairly decent for their new stuff. I have not listened to KUNST entirely so I'll reserve judgement but the title track seemed to be just a sales pitch for their older stuff as they pretty much covered most of their album titles in the lyrics.

I think WTF?! is the best of the post-WWIII albums as well, but Kunst is really bland. I'd almost prefer if there was something on there I actively hated so I could at least feel something about it, but there isn't.

And yeah, the title track is another "KMFDM sings about KMFDM" song, but the thing is, those are generally more interesting than this is musically. I don't mind it being a huge series of callbacks, but it doesn't work if the music sounds like a mediocre deep cut rather than a big standout track.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Noricae posted:

...it's embarrassing to admit that I listen to industrial as a genre sometimes.

It's just as bad as admitting you like metal, both are 99.9% terrible poo poo.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

It's kind of sad mdfmk didn't go anywhere after the one album. I guess everyone was pretty luke warm on it at the time because of Skold basically replacing Guenter and En Esch. Then Skold ended up going to join Manson, so I guess Sascha just said, "gently caress it, you guys like that Godlike riff right?!?!" and lurched KMFDM right back out of the grave. Songs like Missing Time were better and more interesting than the whole body of post-mdfmk KMFDM work put together.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I'm gonna go see them in March. Their change in direction's done more for their live show than it's done for their album quality. Unfortunately, I just listened to that whole preview and the title track is pretty much the only thing on it that isn't filler. Most of the songs sound like they looped a verse from a better song (i.e. Quake sounds like they looped the DIY verse and stripped the orchestral sample).

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 26, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hatelull posted:

Holy poo poo and this went down in Austin? Which coffee shop?
I know, right? Spiderhouse Ballroom. So that means it's technically part of Spider House, but in a separate building right off Guadalupe.

boo_radley posted:

Signs your neo-folk show may be fascististic:
If it looks like a duck, talks like a duck, and Sieg Heils like a duck, it's probably a duck.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 26, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I love how they felt it wasn't obvious enough and decided to chuck a couple of Totenkopfs on the bottom to really seal the deal.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

They know that there are some oblivious music fans out there that won't make the connection. I have seen some people sport those pins at industrial shows that are anything but radical right. I am sure it will attract these types and bring more crowd to the show and at the same time waving the flag for people that do understand.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Well, that's a funny coincidence. We were just talking about female-fronted bands in the scene, and now Alfa Matrix comes out with a huge compilation of just such bands.

So if anyone is still looking for female-fronted scene bands, well, take your pick. There's quite a bunch of names not mentioned here.

infearofcrowds
Dec 29, 2012
I can't believe Android Lust is not on this compilation. That is literally the first name that I think of when I think of female-fronted industrial act. Granted, her recent stuff is more dark ambient, but they could have at least included a track. It fits better than Leaves Eyes, which is metal.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I just discovered the OP and I'm not reading 2,000 posts to find out, but has anyone mentioned Razed in Black? They haven't done too much (or anything) since '03, but they're pretty "authentic."

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I released a bunch of unfinished poo poo that will never be finished last year that this thread might like the sound of. It's a mixed bag and I didn't even clip the first track properly but there you go.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

DeusExMachinima posted:

I just discovered the OP and I'm not reading 2,000 posts to find out, but has anyone mentioned Razed in Black? They haven't done too much (or anything) since '03, but they're pretty "authentic."

I love the hell out of Romell Regulacion. He also goes under DJ RiB and Transmutator for house stuff. But like you said, he's basically disappeared from the music scene. I saw him at Black Sheep in Co Springs long ago, and it was the best thing ever. He's a short man, at like 5'4" when wearing platforms.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

deong posted:

I love the hell out of Romell Regulacion. He also goes under DJ RiB and Transmutator for house stuff. But like you said, he's basically disappeared from the music scene. I saw him at Black Sheep in Co Springs long ago, and it was the best thing ever. He's a short man, at like 5'4" when wearing platforms.

Yeah not to post the same song again but he remixed Oh My Goth into a trance-ish/EBM sound that works (warning: Suicide Girl montage ahead). Love the song title for being irreverent and not taking anything seriously.

And goddrat the new Blutengel album is good and I really like it. The shame is overpowering.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

And goddrat the new Blutengel album is good and I really like it. The shame is overpowering.

I have come to the realization that liking Blutengel is nothing to be ashamed of very simply because Blutengel owns. I might actually have to get the box edition of Monument, it sounds so good.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Baby Sathanas posted:

I released a bunch of unfinished poo poo that will never be finished last year that this thread might like the sound of. It's a mixed bag and I didn't even clip the first track properly but there you go.

Been enjoying this, thanks.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I have come to the realization that liking Blutengel is nothing to be ashamed of very simply because Blutengel owns. I might actually have to get the box edition of Monument, it sounds so good.
Yeah, I thought it was great, and then it actually got better the more I listened to it. It has these insane VNV Nation style anthems on it that are just absolutely killer.

I'm also not hearing the bathos-dripping vampire aesthetic come through very strongly. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) It's more like 80s goth cyberpunk.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm digging the new Blutengel as well.

I couldn't event get through the first song on Kunst. Ironic isn't it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got my collector's edition of Black today. I hope the next release is a gold-plated Peter Spilles turd, just to test me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Yeah, wow, holy poo poo. I'm listening to Monument right now, and it seems 2013 is shaping up to be a great year for releases of poo poo I Love.

I just got off of a about a 5x repeat of the new Mesh single and then moved on to this, and it's almost like Mesh and Blutengel were hanging out together while writing their new stuff, because the transition from pumping beat to pumping beat was nearly seamless. More more more.

(I'm really excited about the new Mesh and Informatik albums this month.)