Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Bloodly posted:

Random: you know what would be interesting? Old maps in the new style. Maps/objectives/etc from say 4 or 5, but re-tuned(enemy count and such) to fit the new standards of Dynasty Warriors.

The one that comes to mind is DW4's Nanman Campaign(It'd either be "REVENGE!" or :gonk:), but I'm sure there are other versions people would like to see.

No no no I never want to suffer through DW4's Nanman stage ever again. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
I believe you can essentially play every Dynasty Warriors 2 stage as DLC for 7. Every stage is jacked up to max and they often prove somewhat difficult because there's little barriers preventing people from chasing you to the ends of the earth, unlike the Theme Park nature of traditional DW7 stages, where most fights are fairly engineered.

Zhang Jiao Side Yellow Turbans or Dong Zhuo HuLao Gate is kinda ridiculous in the sheer amount of "Everyone is Out to Kill You" feeling they have.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Bloodly posted:

Random: you know what would be interesting? Old maps in the new style. Maps/objectives/etc from say 4 or 5, but re-tuned(enemy count and such) to fit the new standards of Dynasty Warriors.

The one that comes to mind is DW4's Nanman Campaign(It'd either be "REVENGE!" or :gonk:), but I'm sure there are other versions people would like to see.

As mentioned by Wheresmy5bucks, there are tons of DLC for DW7 that does just that. They remade every single DW2 mission as well as a handful of others. DW7XL takes it a step further by including even more missions from previous games. In-fact, DW7 Empires, uses a good amount of old maps as well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I feel like maybe I should have read the instruction manual a bit before I started playing. Running a CAW through the Yellow Turban Campaign scenario, and the whole "vagabond/subordinate/ruler" stuff has me a bit confused. I ended up joining Sun Jian and helping put down the rebellion, but now I'm wondering where I go from here. Zhang Jiao's finished, I'm trying to complete assignments and wondering when I get rewarded for them (was supposed to skirmish with a neighboring province, did so, and nothing ever came up), and in general I guess I'm still trying to figure out all the changes between this one and DW5:E.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I like how certain officer that are normally non-unique (Ma Teng, Hua Xiaong, etc) already have custom models. While it's nothing fancy, it's a nice touch.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 27, 2013

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Shinjobi posted:

So I feel like maybe I should have read the instruction manual a bit before I started playing. Running a CAW through the Yellow Turban Campaign scenario, and the whole "vagabond/subordinate/ruler" stuff has me a bit confused. I ended up joining Sun Jian and helping put down the rebellion, but now I'm wondering where I go from here. Zhang Jiao's finished, I'm trying to complete assignments and wondering when I get rewarded for them (was supposed to skirmish with a neighboring province, did so, and nothing ever came up), and in general I guess I'm still trying to figure out all the changes between this one and DW5:E.

You should get rewarded at the next war council. They pop up every 6 months IIRC. The manual has a pretty good chart showing the difference between the various positions/titles. Low/no rank you have no say in anything and just take assignments, move higher up and you can give your opinion at councils. As ruler you can give out assignments and have final say on what your policy will be.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

You'll get the reward for completing the assignment you chose when the next war council rolls around. Twice yearly IIRC.

As for what you should be doing now? You could be participating in battles to expand your ruler's territory, gaining fame as you go and increasing the chances of being promoted, which will give you greater freedom and capacity to influence policy. Or you could be forming stronger relationships with other people and building your own personal force in preparation to seize the throne. You could just be working to unlock access to better weapons and stratagems, doing skirmishes to earn some money and fame along the way. Maybe a mixture of all three?

Unfortunately I don't think you can just resign from a faction and strike out to make your own kingdom because they added that option in the last update the jp ver got and for some reason we're a version behind. I guess if you revolt that basically accomplishes the same thing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
To help answer earlier questions about your own CAW showing up in a campaign, I think default options for campaigns will sprinkle your CAW's throughout the land? Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm still looking for mine.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kingtheninja posted:

To help answer earlier questions about your own CAW showing up in a campaign, I think default options for campaigns will sprinkle your CAW's throughout the land? Correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm still looking for mine.

Since there are a metric rear end load of officers to begin with, you might find yourself looking a while. I did see one of my creations (Pandaman), so yes, CAWs will be sprinkled about.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
After finishing a binge and becoming emperor of all china, I can confirm a couple things. The game will automatically sprinkle other people's CAWs into your game. I was running into the stock preteen squeaky anime girls (with the alluring voiceset. :gonk:) about my third conquered territory in. I believe the default settings for CAWs are on, provided you're not doing one of the historical campaigns, at which point you pretty much have to select who they replace in edit mode.

As for what you're supposed to do, keep raising your fame levels so you can tell your ruler what to do without him/her calling you retarded and told to shut the gently caress up. From there, just start invading.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Does anyone know how much EXP it takes to get up to the next position? Ma Chao was a Common officer like me (under our leader Ma Teng), but now he's a Prefect and I'm still only Common and I have 10910 EXP. Is Ma Teng just showing preferential treatment!?

E: Also, it'll take 25,200 BP to unlock all of the clothes if I counted right.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 27, 2013

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Is there a list of or can maybe people just post some of the characters who are fairly significant but are still generic officers in this game? I'd like to start filling out some of these with custom characters. I think I might just start with the people who are going to be added in DW8.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

PureRok posted:

Does anyone know how much EXP it takes to get up to the next position? Ma Chao was a Common officer like me (under our leader Ma Teng), but now he's a Prefect and I'm still only Common and I have 10910 EXP. Is Ma Teng just showing preferential treatment!?

E: Also, it'll take 25,200 BP to unlock all of the clothes if I counted right.

I wouldn't worry too much about not getting to Prefect unless you plan to strike out on your own, that just means that gain the secede command. I think it's by random they assign prefects, the positions you should be aiming for are Marshal (which you need high brave and kick a lot of rear end) and Strategist (which you need wise and be good with stratagems), which open up battles and gives you more say with your ruler.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jibo posted:

Is there a list of or can maybe people just post some of the characters who are fairly significant but are still generic officers in this game? I'd like to start filling out some of these with custom characters. I think I might just start with the people who are going to be added in DW8.

Off the top of my head:

• He Jin
  • Hua Xiang
  • Wang Yan
  • Gongsun Zan
  • Yuan Shu
  • Liu Biao
  • Ma Teng
  • Xun Yu
  • Yu Jin
  • Sun Qian
  • Liu Feng
  • Zhuge Ke
  • Cao Hong

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

SirPhoebos posted:

Off the top of my head:

• He Jin
  • Hua Xiang
  • Wang Yan
  • Gongsun Zan
  • Yuan Shu
  • Liu Biao
  • Ma Teng
  • Xun Yu
  • Yu Jin
  • Sun Qian
  • Liu Feng
  • Zhuge Ke
  • Cao Hong

Hua Xiang and Ma Teng already have custom outfits in this game, btw.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It feels so weird to be playing a DW game at 60 fps occasionally.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

This showed up on the EU PSN earlier and since I hadn't played a DW game since 7 a couple of years ago, thought i'd grab it. I didn't really realise just what I was getting into when I first started the empire mode as my custom dude, then it hit me all at once that I can just do whatever the gently caress I want and team up with bros or attack bros or whatever. It was amazing.

Of course, the first thing I did after winning a fight was go to town, buy some sunglasses and become ancient Chinese Albert Wesker, but frankly if you don't do that you're probably playing wrong.

edit - my cool dudes

Tae Locke Albert Wesker

and his crime fighting partner TONY FIST

Thievery fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 28, 2013

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Love the CAW in this. If any of you run into a staff user named Wang Dong then you have me to thank.

How are you guys getting screen shots of your characters?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Vagabond is pretty cool; I joined in the defense of a province and one of my allies was Zhao Yu, who was impressed by my character even though we ended up losing. Couple turns later he invites me to join the yellow turbans and now we're religious rebel bros

It could certainly be fleshed out more, but they've done a decent job of making the strategic part of the game play differently based on rank

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Agean90 posted:

Love the CAW in this. If any of you run into a staff user named Wang Dong then you have me to thank.

How are you guys getting screen shots of your characters?

I discovered a button on the Playstation Dashboard thing that lets you take a screenshot. It's under the Photo section.

I noticed a couple of other players characters in my Empire mode and I think that's such a loving cool feature.

Also, since there's a tonne of new weapon sets I picked two at random (Sword + Hook and Thunder Sword) and they seem so ridiculous. Like, with the Sword + Hook I am teleporting around the battleground pulling people to me and teleporting to them and there's just so much mobility that the camera can barely keep up, and the Thunder Sword is like the damage of a slow, 2 hand weapon with the speed of a rapier, and a massive AOE slowing attack. Also a cool air-dash thing. Dunno if these were DLC for DW7 or not but they are so much fun - the only downside is I can't see myself using another weapon set on this character.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

More characters and a demo coming for One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2.

Sheesh though, this is getting kind of ridiculous. I can't even remember Marco or any of these dudes who look like generic Pirate generals in PW1.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

More characters and a demo coming for One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2.

Sheesh though, this is getting kind of ridiculous. I can't even remember Marco or any of these dudes who look like generic Pirate generals in PW1.

I don't know about the anime, but in the manga you see Marco fight more than you do Garp as far as I'm concerned. It's really cool though, they seem to be pulling out all the stops for playable characters this time around.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

DW8 is out on the Japanese Playstation Store now.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Belzac posted:

It probably has a few new tracks but I haven't seen anything in particular. It does include all of the music DLC from 7 though so you get a wide selection of music from all the games. If you need a fix right now I made this: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE0692F9E9AD99421

8 and a half hours of buttrock.

Thanks so much for this. It's great background for everything.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The diplomacy side seems to have a bit of randomness that I can't decide if I like or not.

For example, I sent Sima Yi over to Yuan Shao to Manipulate him into thinking Sun Jian is the real threat. Sima Yi is successful. Next turn, Jian sends Sun Ce to visit Yuan Shao and forms an alliance :suicide:

Again, not sure if it bugs me because it does keep things interesting.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Obviously Yuan Shao is just tricking Sun Jian! Keep your enemies closer, and all that.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
My first game I did the Chi Bi Scenario. Pretty soon after it started Ma Chao formed an alliance with Cao Cao. :v:

Some of these results are hilarious, but I wish the game had the smarter AI that ROTK had.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

DW8 is out on the Japanese Playstation Store now.
Oh snap, its only 6600. I think I can afford that, if I can get a good deal on the PSN card. I know it's gonna be basically the same game I played two years ago but I just can't get enough of pursuing Lu Bu even though I was explicitly told not to. I think I have a problem.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 28, 2013

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's the ultimate goal of a vagabond leader anyway? Or isn't there one and it simply exists as a multiplayer device and a means to build up a small force before joining a lord (or becoming one yourself)?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
DW8 is downloading now, I'm going to kill everyone in China when it is finished. All over again.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

What does toggling online play before a mission do? Is there some kind of drop-in multiplayer system or what does it do?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

What's the ultimate goal of a vagabond leader anyway? Or isn't there one and it simply exists as a multiplayer device and a means to build up a small force before joining a lord (or becoming one yourself)?

The only endgoal is controlling the entire map so... hm, actually I wonder what would happen if you hosed around as a vagabond until someone took over everything? But yeah you either try to get poached or take some land for your own

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
What does the "Unlock weapon" option do? It costs a lot of points, and I don't know If I should blow my points on that or just unlock more clothing.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Dramicus posted:

What does the "Unlock weapon" option do? It costs a lot of points, and I don't know If I should blow my points on that or just unlock more clothing.

It unlocks all the weapons you have for that playthrough. I'd say spend the BP on clothes until you unlock them all before you pick the game breaking stuff, since all that's just one time.

iastudent posted:

What does toggling online play before a mission do? Is there some kind of drop-in multiplayer system or what does it do?

It let's people who are wanting to join an online game join yours. Problem is the Join Game option is in an entirely different Menu (The Extras Menu) so you probably are better off using Invite instead of just opening it up.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 28, 2013

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Joined the alliance against Dong Zhou as Liu Yan. Got my rear end kicked in minutes by a general using confiscate then his musou which killed me instantly. So I had no more revives left. Finally got down to Dong Zhou, brought him down to about 5% of his life...

Dong Zhou uses explosions!

And I get chained hit by explosions till I died :fuckoff:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Leal posted:

And I get chained hit by explosions till I died :fuckoff:

What up chain-plosion pal :v:

I'm guessing if you want to make more CAWs or download them and you're already running a campaign, that you have to start a new one to let them populate it, right?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to go for some of the achievements and I'm not happy with the selection of orderly officers. I don't really want to use a custom fighter on this particular playthrough, so I was wondering if its possible to change your main fame type mid-game. In my last campaign, I had one of my fellow officers change from kind to orderly after doing a lot of combined training exercises. Is it possible to change your own fame type and get the appropriate ending achievement?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
DW8 isn't going to finish downloading tonight. I'll have to go to bed without killing a single Chinese person!

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Dramicus posted:

I'm trying to go for some of the achievements and I'm not happy with the selection of orderly officers. I don't really want to use a custom fighter on this particular playthrough, so I was wondering if its possible to change your main fame type mid-game. In my last campaign, I had one of my fellow officers change from kind to orderly after doing a lot of combined training exercises. Is it possible to change your own fame type and get the appropriate ending achievement?

I think it changes to whatever you have the most levels in, though I don't know if it gets locked in at any point. My first dude started as 'wise' but changed to brave really quickly 'cos i did a lot of brave skirmishes early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'll have to go to bed without killing a single Chinese person!

Lu Bu's worst day ever