Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

coldwind posted:

For awhile, many beginners will immediately start gliding whenever they see a puck come their way.

Guilty!

Whenever I'm playing with guys who have high school or college experience, I always gently caress up receiving their passes.. the puck would just sail a couple feet off the front of my stick. It took me a while to figure out what was going on.

At first I thought they were just overestimating my speed, not being used to newer players. But then I noticed the gliding thing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Somehow I've survived playing pickup hockey every week for two months. This is the best thing ever and I'm really happy I got into it.

On the skate sharpening chat, are there any problems I should be looking out for if I'm trying shallower hollows? The 7/16 the shop I go to normally does was just too bitey for me; 5/8 feels quite a bit better and I have less trouble getting around, especially after I get tired.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

At first I thought they were just overestimating my speed, not being used to newer players. But then I noticed the gliding thing. :v:

I have a bad habit of ripping a pass at one of my teams jerseys, where they should be moving too. Every time I do that to one of the guys on my team who cant skate I get angry at myself, then feel bad for the guy who had to watch the puck fly by 5 feet infront of him.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Personally it's going well.. I learn something new every time and I'm getting less stupid. As a team, it has ups and downs. We generally play well but we're just starting to get to know each other so plays have a huge risk of hilarious failures.

I find it hard to play forward because I'm so defensively minded, every single zone entry I have to remind myself to go in deep. On the other hand, once I do get down low, plopping my rear end in front of the opposing goalie is amazing fun. Dudes try to push me out of the way and none of them know the tricks to get me off balance.. so it's completely futile for them.

On defense I'm kind of a liability, I can't skate backwards well enough to be effective against good players, and I still haven't figured out how to both avoid screening my goalie and block shots. But defense is my favorite thing to do, and getting someone to cough up the puck makes me feel badass.

That owns, congrats on having such a fun time and making progress. It's really rewarding when you can keep that up.

Sometimes when you're playing offense you've gotta play offense first. It's hard for me too as I'm very defensive minded. It is pretty awesome after your team gives up a poo poo goal to warn your goalie that you're going to play more offensive and less defensive and go out there and get that goal. Remember if you're playing wing your job is to generate offense. As long as you try to backcheck and keep moving your feet it's worth making some mistakes to gain experience with the puck.

You flirted with a goal yet? It took me over an NHL seasons worth of games growing up to get a goal (lol) so no worries if you haven't but when you get one you'll probably explode.

D C posted:

I have a bad habit of ripping a pass at one of my teams jerseys, where they should be moving too. Every time I do that to one of the guys on my team who cant skate I get angry at myself, then feel bad for the guy who had to watch the puck fly by 5 feet infront of him.

Nice to hear that you felt bad for me.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

Sometimes when you're playing offense you've gotta play offense first. It's hard for me too as I'm very defensive minded. It is pretty awesome after your team gives up a poo poo goal to warn your goalie that you're going to play more offensive and less defensive and go out there and get that goal. Remember if you're playing wing your job is to generate offense. As long as you try to backcheck and keep moving your feet it's worth making some mistakes to gain experience with the puck.

I'm a natural defenseman too.

That being said, there is really nothing more fun than being the 6th on the ice when we pull the goalie. Just going end to end without really worrying about covering poo poo and being tricky and mixing it up in the zone is actually super fun. Sometimes I think I should play like that all the time and then I remember I hate people who play like that all the time and change my mind. v:shobon:v

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No goals yet, closest I got was in a scrum after a rebound right in front of the crease. Just too many sticks to get a good poke at it. Probably wouldn't have gone in anyway, goalie was set pretty square.

But after the fact I did a lot of "if I had done this or that differently, I bet I coulda made it."

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My most enjoyable offensive move is a defensive one. Defensive zone faceoff, you as the inside winger immediately bolt out to the defense and either intercept a D to D pass or block a shot off the shins that bounces straight out into the neutral zone.

You get a wholly undefended breakaway from at least the red line. I honestly cannot remember a time I have not scored on this sort of breakaway. I don't do "moves" on breakaways and generally just haul rear end at the net and fire as hard a shot as I can about 14" off the ice.

Either beer league goalies always expect people to try deking them, or the combo of my straight forward speed + hard straight shot catches them off guard and the shot gets through to the back of the net.

Best offense good defense, etc., etc.

That said I haven't played hockey since Lake Placid in January and cannot loving wait until next Monday when I will finally be over this loving superflu goddamn bullshit sickness to actually play again. I anticipate being terrible.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

No goals yet, closest I got was in a scrum after a rebound right in front of the crease. Just too many sticks to get a good poke at it. Probably wouldn't have gone in anyway, goalie was set pretty square.

But after the fact I did a lot of "if I had done this or that differently, I bet I coulda made it."

You'll get some garbage goal at some point if you hang around the crease enough.

I've got maybe 7 goals in my short 60-some game beer league career and there's only one I'm a little bit proud of. The rest are some flavor of "threw the puck at the net from an impossible angle and the goalie hosed up", "banged in a puck in a scrum", or "bounced off my rear end and in".

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Guilty!

Whenever I'm playing with guys who have high school or college experience, I always gently caress up receiving their passes.. the puck would just sail a couple feet off the front of my stick. It took me a while to figure out what was going on.

I still get guilty of this. It's a hard habit to break. :shobon:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

That's what three pins in a finger look like! I'm getting them out next Tuesday, and hopefully I'll be able to play in around two weeks. What's nice is that my league games are going to be as goalie, so I'll get to play out and play goal regularly every week. If my fingers works.

I'll probably give it an extra few weeks before I start rock climbing again though.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I got back into the Tuesday night clinics and am now in the better half of the class. Feels good man. :smug: Although I will say that a lot of the peeps that I do remember from the summer (who are better skaters) aren't around right now, probably becuase of the season.

I'm glad I did it though, one of the coaches pointed out a REALLY bad habit I had unknowingly developed. That is, I was developing a tendency to grab the stick with both hands when trying to race as fast as I could. Looked bad, probably gave me balance issues, ugh.

In other news, I hosed up my neck BAD in my game Sunday. I can't move it well at all.

Benson Cunningham posted:

That's what three pins in a finger look like! I'm getting them out next Tuesday, and hopefully I'll be able to play in around two weeks. What's nice is that my league games are going to be as goalie, so I'll get to play out and play goal regularly every week. If my fingers works.

I'll probably give it an extra few weeks before I start rock climbing again though.

:stare: If I walked out of surgery like that I'd be like "Uh... you didn't finish". Feel better son!

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

xzzy posted:

Never sit on the bench thinking about your last shift. Always be thinking about your next one.

I scored a goal in my second game ever. Then didn't score again for over a calendar year. Then scored a hat trick. Hockey's weird

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

I'm glad I did it though, one of the coaches pointed out a REALLY bad habit I had unknowingly developed. That is, I was developing a tendency to grab the stick with both hands when trying to race as fast as I could. Looked bad, probably gave me balance issues, ugh.

I've had coaches (even in my limited run) teach it both ways. You'll see a huge disparity in NHL players too, some sprint with both hands on the stick, others don't.

Sprinting with both hands on the stick does look pretty drat silly, but I'm not convinced it has all that much of an effect on how fast you can go. Biggest worry is whether you're going to smash someone in the face doing it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Laura Stamm has an article about that: http://www.laurastamm.net/Two-Hands-or-One.aspx\

And her justification: http://www.laurastamm.net/The-Arm-Swing.aspx

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 27, 2013

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You can sprint with two hands on the stick and not raise it up like you're chopping wood. The key is to swing your arms under you, but not the blade of the stick. Takes some getting used to, but your stick is always in position to accept a crisp pass. A GIS doesn't turn up a pic of what I'm talking about, but it's pretty easy to do.

Idunno. Laura Stamm is the absolute authority on power skating, but I think this is one area where she misses the mark. One hand on the stick is probably faster, but I don't think it makes good hockey sense. Plus, the only time you're usually in a flat-out sprint are either in a race for a loose puck, or you already have the puck and are trying to beat a defender. In either case, you should already have just one hand on the stick.

I can't count the number of times I've put a tape-to-tape pass on someone's stick, which they then proceeded to lose because they only had one hand on their stick.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 27, 2013

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I cannot picture a way to have two hands on the stick and use the full momentum of the body that doesn't result in pitching hay. Please make a video or diagram.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Dangerllama posted:

You can sprint with two hands on the stick and not raise it up like you're chopping wood. The key is to swing your arms under you, but not the blade of the stick. Takes some getting used to, but your stick is always in position to accept a crisp pass. A GIS doesn't turn up a pic of what I'm talking about, but it's pretty easy to do.

Idunno. Laura Stamm is the absolute authority on power skating, but I think this is one area where she misses the mark. One hand on the stick is probably faster, but I don't think it makes good hockey sense.

I think I know what sort of mechanics you're talking about. You're definitely not getting the full utility out of your stride that way but it is an okay compromise between sprint speed and reaction time IMO.

I've always done the one hand on the stick open-ice thing and have never really had a problem receiving a pass on a break. Of course, as I often reiterate, I'm really short with short legs so I could use all of the help I can get in my skating stride.

edit: I can think of other sprinting situations - if I see a player on my team take control of the puck and initiate a breakout and the other team is being lazy and not aggressively forechecking, I'll sprint to open ice and call for the puck and in that case it's helpful to give my teammate a target that's way out in front of me to help with the timing.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 27, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Idunno. Laura Stamm is the absolute authority on power skating, but I think this is one area where she misses the mark. One hand on the stick is probably faster, but I don't think it makes good hockey sense.

I suspect the issue is you can't apply one rule to all the situations that come up in a game. Stamm only seems to teach what to do in ideal situations, which probably makes sense from a teaching perspective. But it seems to break down a bit when actually playing.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Being a captain is a frustrating job. We had a player who was a decent scorer, but admittedly had issues with taking long shifts. I talked him about it several times throughout the course of the season and it seemed like the issue had been resolved. Then I miss a game because of oral surgery and the issue blows up again and now I had 4 or 5 players threatening to quit if I don't get rid of him. There is some legitimacy to their complaints, but it felt like the level of frustration and anger they directed at that player didn't make sense and it reached a point where it wasn't going to be workable going forward. I decided to drop the player that they were complaining about and I also had to drop his brother, since they are a package deal. I'm working with the league to director to try and get them placed on another team and I decided to drop the players when I did so that they'd have time to attend both tryouts and have the best chance possible of catching on with another team. It was just a really lovely situation and I hate being put on the spot like that, but my concern that it was going to create a toxic locker room if I kept them, so something had to be done. I'm still going to run this team for the upcoming season, but I'm seriously considering trying to get into a higher league and let someone else run the team and deal with the BS after that.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Ugh drama. Sorry you have to be a babysitter as well as a captain.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I'm at work so I can't really do a diagram. But...

The trick is to realize that your hands aren't glued to your shoulders. When you do a super tight turn with the puck, you know how your hands reverse? Picture that hand motion; the top hand comes in, the bottom hand stays down. As you're skating hard, your hands just pivot back and forth to keep the blade in the same spot on the ice; right in front of you.

And I'm not saying you should always have two hands on the stick. A couple of acceleration strides with one hand is fine, or going into the boards, or on a breakaway, etc. It's just that the biggest problem in beer league is players not having two hands on the stick enough. There's an effective way to skate fast and not have your stick up in the air like you're one of the Hansen Brothers.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Topoisomerase posted:

Ugh drama. Sorry you have to be a babysitter as well as a captain.

Thanks, I appreciate that. It is amazing how childish grown men can act. I don't think it was fair to the guys that I let go, but I didn't feel it would healthy for them to continue playing for a team that apparently hates them either. The guys that I let go are angry with me, which I completely get, but I honestly do feel that they'll be better off on a different team. I just hope that once they calm down that they'll appreciate that I'm taking steps to help get them both placed on another team.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

How long were the shifts?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aniki posted:

I just hope that once they calm down that they'll appreciate that I'm taking steps to help get them both placed on another team.

Probably not, adults are just kids with a bank account.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Skating full bore with 2 hands on your stick, while possible, is definitely a compromise. Learning when it's smart to do this and have 1 hand on the stick vs 2 is important. Growing up our coach would just slash the stick out of our hands if we had 1 hand on at the wrong time and we'd have to skate a lap to pick it up.

Also some guy has 17 goals in 2 games in our league. They had 4 skaters and won 17-4. I guess it's a complete free for all this year.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Truer words were never spoken.

or..um...typed.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Dangerllama posted:

How long were the shifts?

He had some 4 or 5 minute shifts early on, which were a problem that was addressed pretty quickly. In his defense, he previously played on a team that had 5 or 6 skaters per game, so he was used to being out on the ice all the time. I would say after that his shifts were generally 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, which were longer than the other skaters, but not by as much as they thought. However, he'd occasionally have a shift longer than that and I know there were a few times I had to yell at him from goal to get off of the ice. There was definitely merit to their complaints, but I think he became the focal point of frustration for guys who felt they weren't getting enough ice time. I felt that it was something that I could get under control with another talk, but it reached the point for the other guys where it became unworkable and that they were always going to view him as a guy that took long shifts even if I got him to routinely stick to 60 to 90 second shifts.

xzzy posted:

Very true.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Also some guy has 17 goals in 2 games in our league. They had 4 skaters and won 17-4. I guess it's a complete free for all this year.

17 goals is incredibly impressive in 2 games. Sounds like some of our pond hockey games.
Here's the point leaders for one of our leagues here:

e: VVV :lol: the GF and +/- columns own.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 27, 2013

Thufir
May 19, 2004

That's some impressive sandbaggery. The best dude in my league is just 35/15/50 in 16 games (it says he's played 17 but I'm guessing he wasn't actually there for the 1 game he has no points in).

And guess which team has both the #2 and #3 overall scorers

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I talked to the goalie who filled in for me during the game that I missed. He said that the player in question was taking 3 minute shifts, so I'm starting to feel better about the decision. I just hate being put in that situation, but it is good to hear from an independent source that the problem may have been worse than I realized.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but the house league where I'm at caps the number of goals that skilled players can make if they're playing down.

It seems to work well, prevents games from being complete blowouts anyway. Probably not a ton of fun for the guy who's goal capped, but I suppose there's nothing stopping him from playing on a skill appropriate team.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

It works both ways. Whilst we don't get goal capped here, teams aren't split up into skill levels either so once in a while we'll come up against a team that hasn't played all that long. I'll usually put up 1 or 2 early on whilst sussing out who these teams are and then spend the rest of game playing on a line with our newbies, trying to set them up and teach them how to play positional hockey.

During those games, when one of them finally gets it right and buries one the look on their faces is so :3 and the feeling is way better than spending a game shitbagging a team for 4 or 5 goals.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Zip! posted:

It works both ways. Whilst we don't get goal capped here, teams aren't split up into skill levels either so once in a while we'll come up against a team that hasn't played all that long. I'll usually put up 1 or 2 early on whilst sussing out who these teams are and then spend the rest of game playing on a line with our newbies, trying to set them up and teach them how to play positional hockey.

During those games, when one of them finally gets it right and buries one the look on their faces is so :3 and the feeling is way better than spending a game shitbagging a team for 4 or 5 goals.

Yeah, we played down in a tournament a couple months ago because we didn't register in time for the upper division, and we did have a handful of ladies on our team who'd never played in a tournament before and were pretty beginner-level anyway. I scored a couple in the first game we played and then kinda hung back the rest of the tournament and set up the newer players and they all got so much better through the course of even the weekend, it was great!

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
I have stat envy. Our league doesn't even keep track of shots with any kind of reliability, let alone minutes and +/-. We didn't even have a scorekeeper for the first period and a half at our last game. The refs just set the clock for 21 minute run time. Luckily the 45 minutes of penalties and the game misconduct didn't happen until after that. hahaha

I talked with one of the refs after the game, and according to him our division is hands down the physically roughest one he's ever worked in, in all of DFW. According to him, "The ex-pro guys are almost as physical, but they don't get nearly as butthurt. Probably because they expect it and know what they're doing." It makes me think about what my team could be doing to help the situation but all I can come up with is taking the cheapshots and hope the refs aren't in a rush to leave and will call penalties.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

delpheye posted:

I have stat envy. Our league doesn't even keep track of shots with any kind of reliability, let alone minutes and +/-. We didn't even have a scorekeeper for the first period and a half at our last game. The refs just set the clock for 21 minute run time. Luckily the 45 minutes of penalties and the game misconduct didn't happen until after that. hahaha

I talked with one of the refs after the game, and according to him our division is hands down the physically roughest one he's ever worked in, in all of DFW. According to him, "The ex-pro guys are almost as physical, but they don't get nearly as butthurt. Probably because they expect it and know what they're doing." It makes me think about what my team could be doing to help the situation but all I can come up with is taking the cheapshots and hope the refs aren't in a rush to leave and will call penalties.

I think those "min" are penalty minutes. The +/- in my screenshot is goal differential.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Either way. They're stats and I want them.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

delpheye posted:

I have stat envy. Our league doesn't even keep track of shots with any kind of reliability...

I don't think any league keeps track of shots with any reliability.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

17 goals is incredibly impressive in 2 games. Sounds like some of our pond hockey games.

It was so pathetic. The guy is barely skating and just putting it in. He's the type of player that causes at least 1 if not 2 teams to drop every year from our league, and they wonder why they have trouble with teams signing up.

I actually am going to mention something to the captain. I have a pretty good rapport with most players in the league and I know she's had problems with douchebags joining the team before. I'm wondering if these 2 clowns (his brother has 4g 12a in those 2 games) got placed by the league to fill out the team so they could collect another team fee.

Worst case is I'll send an unreturned and likely unread email to the league coordinator asking why a player who skates in Silver A (and previously in Gold, where the next level has ex AHL /Div 1 college players) is skating in our league.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

It was so pathetic. The guy is barely skating and just putting it in. He's the type of player that causes at least 1 if not 2 teams to drop every year from our league, and they wonder why they have trouble with teams signing up.

I actually am going to mention something to the captain. I have a pretty good rapport with most players in the league and I know she's had problems with douchebags joining the team before. I'm wondering if these 2 clowns (his brother has 4g 12a in those 2 games) got placed by the league to fill out the team so they could collect another team fee.

Worst case is I'll send an unreturned and likely unread email to the league coordinator asking why a player who skates in Silver A (and previously in Gold, where the next level has ex AHL /Div 1 college players) is skating in our league.

Stories like this really make me happy my league tries hard to make sure the teams are balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Coldwind, you playing tonight? Gonna rough up some goons :smug: